Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Jastiger posted:

playing as Poland and getting owned. I annexed all my vassals and then Bohemia is kicking my rear end. How do I stack armies all together? I really want to take over the entirety of Europe, but I need to figure out how to push my numbers up. what is a good starter tutorial on how to get those points up? Are national ideas kind of a requirement, in this case combining with Lithuania?

If you attack a member of the empire as a non member, the emperor is automatically called in as a co-belligerent, meaning that the person you declared war on can call their allies, and the emperor can call THEIR allies as well. Don't gently caress with the HRE unless you're huge, the emperor is weak, or the emperor hates the person you're declaring war on

You'll also get double the amount of aggressive expansion from HRE members too. So for a new player I'd suggest staying away from the HRE, both as a member and a non member. Once you understand the mechanics more, then you'll be better equipped to play in central Europe.

As for making a megastack, be careful about doing that unless your manpower is very high. Checking the "Attach to this unit" checkbox only works for your vassals, your allies ignore it, in my experience. There is another button on the left that looks like a puzzle piece which makes you attach your army to the AI, if you want to always be right on top of your allies to help them. But if that stack gets too big, you'll be taking lots of attrition and lose manpower. If you want to make sure your allies don't suicide their armies, stay a province or two away, sieging something. If you see an army coming for them, go and reinforce the battle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

A question - I am allied with Great Britain and rival to France, and GB wanted to reclaim some cores on the mainland, so I thought I'd help them out; but while I'm sieging southern France and keeping them occupied, GB's 40k strong army is chilling in London, they didn't even try to cross the Channel.

Now, fighting alone against France and Spain while my ally has a full strength army in his capital and not using it kinda sucks, but if I peace out they will get angry at me.

Any idea why this happens? the Channel is not blockaded or anything, they could just load up on their boats and cross, but they just won't.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

AI naval invasions have always been wonky. It could be worth saving and reloading, it might get the AI to wake up.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Thanks for the tips with Poland. I found the button with the arrows points to each other and I find that sometimes its lit up, and sometimes its not. What determines whether I can attach or not? For example, it hosed me over because I thought I had a stack, moved them all to a province, and they went one at time. Loss. Loss. Loss. Loss...where if I'd sent them all at once, I'd have likely won. Why can't I ALWAYS click the arrow button?

I'm trying to stay away from the HRE actually. My bud Brandenburg declared war on some folks and they are just trouncing us, and I'm a lot bigger than they are. I had a situation where I doubled the number of troops and LOST the battle! WTF?! Where can I see stats like that before going into battle?

How do I work towards broing up with Lithuania? I want to make us a big ole thing, but don't know how to get there.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
You can only merge armies when they're in the same province.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp
Hail to the Qing, baby!

Started as Haixi and managed get Manchurian Candidate, Turning the Tide and Total control all in one run. I still actually have about 50 years left in this game, but it would just be a series of curb stomps to unite China Proper with no risk of failure so I'm just going to let things be done now.

I probably could have gotten a lot bigger by the end of the game by smashing Japan (currently "Spanish" with every Spanish province held by Japanese Separatists) but I really hate amphibious campaigns, and I made it an early goal to wipe the Ming off the map and they never ever ever shattered until they were almost totally destroyed, despite losing the Mandate of Heaven multiple times.

Other noteworthy happenings is that France has been utterly shattered into its component states, only holding onto a bit of its southern coast. Good riddance.

Jastiger posted:

Thanks for the tips with Poland. I found the button with the arrows points to each other and I find that sometimes its lit up, and sometimes its not. What determines whether I can attach or not? For example, it hosed me over because I thought I had a stack, moved them all to a province, and they went one at time. Loss. Loss. Loss. Loss...where if I'd sent them all at once, I'd have likely won. Why can't I ALWAYS click the arrow button?

You can only merge units when they are all in the same province and they're stationary.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

RabidWeasel posted:

You can only merge armies when they're in the same province.

Well clearly lol. I think I figured it out though you gotta hold SHIFT and click on them to merge.

I ended up quitting though. For some reason all of these provinces started to rebel and they had armies three times the size I could even muster. LIke how does that even happen? I'm trying to get my prestige up to 50 and instead of everyone being chill and working at it, they decide to raise MASSIVE armies and siege my Southern provinces. Kind of hard to take the entirety of Europe when you're all rebelling about some stupid 1 ducat tax or something. Assholes. They enforced demands on me, killed my prestige, drained my treasury, and killed all my productivity so I'm just going to have to start over.

Whats a good way to stop rebels from getting out of control? Is it worth while to send military there to subjugate them or does that make it worse?

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Jastiger posted:

Well clearly lol. I think I figured it out though you gotta hold SHIFT and click on them to merge.

You can also drag a selection box over a province to select all the units there.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

:confused: (that is the requirements in the Window on the West mission)

It completed automatically the next day, so thanks for 10% trade efficiency I guess.

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

See you in the funny papers, liebchen!
As Mutapa, I currently have Exploration and Economic ideas. Would I be better off picking Religious or Expansion for my third idea? I want to pick up both, but the lovely 50% idea group restriction means I won't be able to pick the other one until my fifth idea group.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Pick Quantity, you're going to need the troops. It also plays nicely with Exploration.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

MrBling posted:

Pick Quantity, you're going to need the troops. It also plays nicely with Exploration.

Expansion + Quantity is the killer colonist policy

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Pellisworth posted:

Expansion + Quantity is the killer colonist policy

I meant more in the general sense that Mutapa is a bit constricted on force limit, and since he's colonising Quantity is good for letting you have enough troops to fight wars while still leaving some on random islands that you're colonising.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Jastiger posted:

I ended up quitting though. For some reason all of these provinces started to rebel and they had armies three times the size I could even muster. LIke how does that even happen? I'm trying to get my prestige up to 50 and instead of everyone being chill and working at it, they decide to raise MASSIVE armies and siege my Southern provinces. Kind of hard to take the entirety of Europe when you're all rebelling about some stupid 1 ducat tax or something. Assholes. They enforced demands on me, killed my prestige, drained my treasury, and killed all my productivity so I'm just going to have to start over.

Whats a good way to stop rebels from getting out of control? Is it worth while to send military there to subjugate them or does that make it worse?

Have you played the tutorials? They're good at taking you through the mechanics of how you form and use armies.

You're definitely supposed to use your armies to defeat rebels. Crushing an uprising will quell unrest for a number of years. But you should look on the province screen, and see what is contributing to that unrest too.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Jastiger posted:

I'm trying to stay away from the HRE actually. My bud Brandenburg declared war on some folks and they are just trouncing us, and I'm a lot bigger than they are. I had a situation where I doubled the number of troops and LOST the battle! WTF?! Where can I see stats like that before going into battle?

How do I work towards broing up with Lithuania? I want to make us a big ole thing, but don't know how to get there.

Terrain can play a very important part in battle, along with the pips on leaders. If you took a force with no leader and attacked across a river into a mountain province against an army half your size with a decent leader, there is a large chance you would lose that fight. For every dice roll that occurs, the dice roll will be modified by terrain penalties (for the attacker) and modified by the difference in leader pips (the leader with the higher pip count receiving a bonus equal to the difference). Fights last until one side has no morale remaining, retreats, or has all units killed. If you start a fight with low morale, you will likely lose against a smaller force with full morale. Your stacks in the front line have their efficacy modified by how many casualties they have. If your front line is full of units with only 200 or 400 soldiers, they will perform poorly against a smaller army with full units. Some (somewhat) hidden modifiers include combat ability, discipline, and military tactics. You can see your stats on the military tab. I think for enemy stats, they are somewhat hidden unless you are in combat with them. Another common mistake is not placing your military maintenance at 100%. When you lower the maintenance slider you are lowering the moral cap drastically. When you raise maintenance to 100% and all your units now have a yellow moral bar, that is the reason. They did not take a morale hit, the ceiling is now just much higher. Until they are at the morale cap though; your units are likely in an inferior position to your opponents assuming relative tech/bonus parity. If the "some folks" Brandenburg declared war on are countries with national ideas heavily focused on combat and have taken many combat ideas, like for instance, Prussia, you are going to have a bad time trying to compete in a military fashion. If that is the case, try to draw the enemy into combat in unfavorable terrain in your territory. Don't be afraid to let the bad guys hang out in your area and take some attrition, especially if their manpower is already low.

There is a box with two green arrows pointing towards a green box; this is the consolidate army button, it is not a merge button. What this button does is smoosh all your units that are small and broken apart into whole units. For example, if you have 5 infantry units with 200 soldiers each, the button will create 1 unit with 1000 soldiers. The drawback to doing this is that you will need to recruit the replacement units. The advantage is that a full unit fights much better, and you will also not be reinforcing as many units, driving down monthly cost as well.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

PittTheElder posted:

Have you played the tutorials? They're good at taking you through the mechanics of how you form and use armies.

You're definitely supposed to use your armies to defeat rebels. Crushing an uprising will quell unrest for a number of years. But you should look on the province screen, and see what is contributing to that unrest too.

They were a different religion so I began converting. It took time but it worked...on the one missionary I had. The rest rebelled snd kicked my rear end. The most manpower I could muster was about 22000. They had 4 armies each of 16000. And won every battle. How does that happen? How do I make my guys fight better? And how did they get such huge armies?
I don't quite understand trade either. Or how to start a war and take a province I have a claim to. I'll try watching some youtube Vids to see pacing but I'm confused. Heh.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Jastiger posted:

Sorry for the double post, but I somehow missed your original post where you stated that you are Poland and have annexed your vassals. When you say annexed, do you mean via diplomacy and integration or military conquest? When you take over territory via military conquest those provinces will have a base desire to escape your empire and rebel, called separatism, that will slowly decay. It starts at a value of 15 and decays by .5 a year I think. Other factors also lead to this revolt risk, including wrong culture and wrong religion. There is a concept called "Overextension", which is based on the value of land that you own that is not cored. You should keep this value under 100%. This value will directly raise revolt risk throughout the entire country. If you go on an annexation spree it is possible this number will exceed 100%, and when that happens you get really, really bad events and a lot of rebels. The size of the rebel stack will be tied to overextension. There will also be events that fire giving provinces +15% revolt risk, so being overextended that much can cause your empire to shatter. If you want to swallow all of Europe, that is an activity that will take the greater part of the game due to the high value of most of the provinces. You can increase the amount of territory you take by utilizing diploannexation (The annexation of vassals through the diplomacy interface and use of a diplomat.) When you aggressively take territory it will make neighbors mad. They will become more angry if the territory you take is close to them, of their religion, of their culture, and a few other factors. For example, as Poland if you start taking HRE minors, like say Pommerania, it is really going to piss off most of Northern Germany really bad, and the rest of Germany will get upset too. This Aggressive expansion will decay over time, and there are things you can do to make it decay faster, such as certain policies and advisors. The best way to avoid stacking too much AE is to alternate areas of attacks and wars. Snag a province or two from the HRE and while things are cooling off there work on Muscovy for a little bit, or the Ottomans. If you generate too much AE people with a sufficient level of AE against you may join a coalition to curb your growth. A coalition is like a one time alliance against a certain nation, and if a war breaks out there are no separate peace, which can make them long drawn out affairs you may not enjoy.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Learning to consolidate your units is very important if you rely heavily on mercenaries (like me), because:

1) You'll probably be using mercenary infantry;
2) Infantry generally takes the most casualties in combat;
3) Low-strength infantry units crumble easily, and once dead/routed will expose your backline;
4) You can recruit new mercenary infantry units anywhere under your control (non-overseas) very quickly.

This means that with enough cash, you can always ensure your armies' front ranks will always be ready for combat, and can push the advantage in a war without having to spend too much time holding position/retreating to regain their strength.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Jastiger posted:

They were a different religion so I began converting. It took time but it worked...on the one missionary I had. The rest rebelled snd kicked my rear end. The most manpower I could muster was about 22000. They had 4 armies each of 16000. And won every battle. How does that happen? How do I make my guys fight better? And how did they get such huge armies?
I don't quite understand trade either. Or how to start a war and take a province I have a claim to. I'll try watching some youtube Vids to see pacing but I'm confused. Heh.

Do you have a save file of the game? If you were willing to upload it we could open it up and take a look under the hood, so to speak, and pinpoint what is going wrong, or maybe some screenshots of your various empire management screens? If you upload a copy, I can see what is up with it after I get off work and head home in about 10 hours. ( assuming DLC compatibility, etc...)

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Do you have a save file of the game? If you were willing to upload it we could open it up and take a look under the hood, so to speak, and pinpoint what is going wrong, or maybe some screenshots of your various empire management screens? If you upload a copy, I can see what is up with it after I get off work and head home in about 10 hours. ( assuming DLC compatibility, etc...)

Sure I can do this later tonight.

As for the annexation it was through diplomacy. I wasn't over extended and was focusing on domestic policy to get cannons somehow and make Krakow trade central. Then boom pissed off rebels and nobles with armies bigger than everyone, and they were from core provinces.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Back again with the Italian super-renaissance: not even 1700 yet and I have kicked everybody's rear end. France and Spain are no threat anymore, actually nobody is a threat anymore besides the Ottomans - the Italy ambition of -50% unjustified demands coupled with influence + admin ideas mean I can kick rear end, take all the land I want, and core it almost all at once. With better relations over time people forget about my rear end-kickings rather fast too.

I have the largest standing army by a good margin, cheap mercenaries if I ever need them, 2nd largest navy (will be rectified once at diptech 24, with the +4 naval forcelimit building), and I'm allied to the HRE emperor Bohemia, Burgundy, Munster and maybe someone else like Switzerland.

Ideas: diplo-quantity-defensive-admin-influence, I must choose my next group but at this point I guess I can just go for whatever seems funny, right? I'm thinking offensive just for the siege bonus, or economic to strengthen my income which is uncomfortably close 'cause of giant army + navy. Other thoughts?

Also, what kind of challenge can I create for myself at this point? Tearing down the HRE? Taking the Ottomans head on?

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Oct 3, 2015

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Yeah like we were discussing a couple pages back, your first few idea picks are most important and the last ones will be really variable depending on your situation.

Offensive for the siege bonus is a good idea, you'll notice the high level late game forts take forever to siege down.

You might get more out of Trade than Economic if you just want income.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
My ironman game is stuck in 1572 and won't let me continue in ironman mode. When I go to cloud saved games and click on it the ironman box is unchecked, it wont let me click on it, and when I hover over it the box says I need to be logged in to Steam, which I am.

Anyone know what happened here? Is my game ruined?

Tendronai
May 7, 2008

My worst nightmare. It's a dream I have. I'm in a square cell, glass walls, just me and a little castle.
Steam probably crapped itself and you don't have a connection to the steam servers. It happens, usually takes a couple minutes to sort itself out.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
How would I go about converting to Catholicism as Japan? Colonize central America, not forming a CN, waiting for a western Catholic CN to border me, and westernize? Then I get an event to convert as I westernize?

Node fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Oct 3, 2015

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

TorakFade posted:

With better relations over time people forget about my rear end-kickings rather fast too.

poo poo, is that what that modifier does? 980 hours played and I thought it only affected your diplomats' improve relations modifier. Had no idea it improved passive normalization.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Sheep posted:

poo poo, is that what that modifier does? 980 hours played and I thought it only affected your diplomats' improve relations modifier. Had no idea it improved passive normalization.

I think it modifies all over time relations maluses, my AE recovery went from 2.4/year to 4.3/year when I formed Italy and got the right idea. I think it also works on things like not giving claims to allies in peace deals. Improve relations is another separate bonus.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Sheep posted:

TorakFade posted:

I think it modifies all over time relations maluses, my AE recovery went from 2.4/year to 4.3/year when I formed Italy and got the right idea. I think it also works on things like not giving claims to allies in peace deals. Improve relations is another separate bonus.

Yup it just speeds all the decay of negative modifiers, including AE. There is a separate "Improve Relations" modifier you can get in Diplomatic ideas that only affects the speed diplomats perform the Improve Relations mission and is pretty lovely.

Better Relations Over Time is great

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

See you in the funny papers, liebchen!

Node posted:

How would I go about converting to Catholicism as Japan? Colonize central America, not forming a CN, waiting for a western Catholic CN to border me, and westernize? Then I get an event to convert as I westernize?

The event to convert during Westernisation only happens to pagans AFAIK. If you're a Daimyo there's a decision you can take to convert. If you're Japan, your best bet is to do it via rebels. Fortunately you'll get events flipping your provinces to Catholic which'll help.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Pellisworth posted:

Better Relations Over Time is great

I agree. But I've only found it useful in Europe. Anywhere else, going crazy on expansion has never put me in danger of big coalitions. Maybe I haven't been playing in the right areas, but even in India I found AE negligible and didn't worry about relations over time.

Italian Traditions with Humanism would be sick. 100% better relations over time. You'd never have to worry about coalitions.

Bishop Rodan posted:

The event to convert during Westernisation only happens to pagans AFAIK. If you're a Daimyo there's a decision you can take to convert. If you're Japan, your best bet is to do it via rebels. Fortunately you'll get events flipping your provinces to Catholic which'll help.

gently caress. Which events are those and how do I get them?

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Node posted:

gently caress. Which events are those and how do I get them?

If you've passed the decision to kick the christians out, you won't get them any more. They only start when you run into Christians(or more specifically, they run into you). Honestly, the Daimyo requirement for the vast majority of Japanese DHEs really should be looked at. It's so sad that unifying Japan actually cuts you off from a large number of events, especially considering how easy it is to unify Japan these days.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Cynic Jester posted:

If you've passed the decision to kick the christians out, you won't get them any more. They only start when you run into Christians(or more specifically, they run into you). Honestly, the Daimyo requirement for the vast majority of Japanese DHEs really should be looked at. It's so sad that unifying Japan actually cuts you off from a large number of events, especially considering how easy it is to unify Japan these days.

It sounds like if I unite Japan, don't enact the Sakoku Law, and keep my stability under 1, I'll get random provinces converting to Christian if I have the Western Trade activated. So if I don't expand, and let catholic rebels force convert me, I can do it that way. Although that sounds like an incredibly boring game.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Node posted:

It sounds like if I unite Japan, don't enact the Sakoku Law, and keep my stability under 1, I'll get random provinces converting to Christian if I have the Western Trade activated. So if I don't expand, and let catholic rebels force convert me, I can do it that way. Although that sounds like an incredibly boring game.

If you're colonizing SEA, it'll take even longer and turn into a gigantic pain in the rear end. Completely not worth it, especially as you have no easy way to conquer more Christian provinces that won't form colonial nations to get up to 50% Christians.What you can do is conquer all of Japan and not tag switch to Japan to stay a Daimyo. Counter-intuitive, but by far the best way to get a Christian Japan game running.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Cynic Jester posted:

If you're colonizing SEA, it'll take even longer and turn into a gigantic pain in the rear end. Completely not worth it, especially as you have no easy way to conquer more Christian provinces that won't form colonial nations to get up to 50% Christians.What you can do is conquer all of Japan and not tag switch to Japan to stay a Daimyo. Counter-intuitive, but by far the best way to get a Christian Japan game running.

I'm not going to colonize now. Rebels may pop up in random islands and there'd be no way I could get force converted. I might take exploration 2, explore Mexico, and then abandon the idea group so I can declare war on a European, which makes them automatically discover you, enabling the western trade/province conversion events happen.

Remaining as a Daimyo for an easier way to convert is silly, even if it is more effective. It does not take long at all to unite Japan, compared to the time it takes for the Europeans to discover you. I'll just stay content on the Japanese islands at speed 5 for most of the game.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I would like to be able to mothball armies. Any mods for that or have the devs mentioned anything about it? It would help a ton for colonial powers so you can still have some troops on 100% maintenance guarding your colonies or searching for the Cities of Gold, but your main force back home is on minimum maintenance.

Even normal nations could benefit - you could have one army at 100% to fight the early stages of a war declared on you while your other armies come online.

You could call it "reserves" or something.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Gort posted:

I would like to be able to mothball armies. Any mods for that or have the devs mentioned anything about it? It would help a ton for colonial powers so you can still have some troops on 100% maintenance guarding your colonies or searching for the Cities of Gold, but your main force back home is on minimum maintenance.

Even normal nations could benefit - you could have one army at 100% to fight the early stages of a war declared on you while your other armies come online.

You could call it "reserves" or something.

That would be really loving useful and I have wished that every time I was a colonial power. I'm not sure if it would be too strong or not, since morale regenerates pretty quickly.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Node posted:

That would be really loving useful and I have wished that every time I was a colonial power. I'm not sure if it would be too strong or not, since morale regenerates pretty quickly.

Maybe you could get around this by making it so that armies in reserve actually had decreased manpower as well as morale, but that manpower would go back into your pool (and increase the size of your pool accordingly). So once they're unmothballed you not only have to wait for morale to regenerate but also for the army to reinforce.

This would have the side effect of making army reinforcement speed boosts more powerful, which might need some minor balance tweaking to national ideas.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

You could just have the army take 3 months to "un-reserve". Until that point it wouldn't regain morale at all.

I'm not sure it would be too strong in any case, though - anyone can do it, after all, so it's not like it'd unbalance anything.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Where can I upload a save file so that a goon can go over it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Jastiger posted:

Where can I upload a save file so that a goon can go over it?

Dropbox?

• Locked thread