Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

I am not a book posted:

Agreed. Ban automobiles in favor of light rail.

The argument about car rights when self-driving cars become viable and demonstrably safer than human drivers, on public roads at least, will be a thing to behold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

dogs named Charlie posted:

You may not have the right to commit murder but as of right now people have the right to own an object that can, in the most casual way possible, end lives very quickly and easily. It shouldn't be that way
Most people wouldn't describe shooting an attacker as "casual." That said, why should it not be that way? Should citizens not be allowed to own dangerous items because of the mere possibility that they will misuse them? If you believe that, you're going to have to cast a much wider net than guns.

RuanGacho posted:

Can someone explain to me the justification for the 2nd in a modern context, I'm trying to figure out if nation states have a right to MAD or not.

I'm concerned that California doesn't have the rights it needs to defend itself against Alabama.
"In order for the country to protect itself, its population must be familiar with the use of arms. Therefore, citizens shall have the right to own and carry arms." While the United States has, over the past century, had the luxury of outsourcing our common defense to a specialized professional class, it is the fundamental right of citizens to take up arms in self-defense, in the defense of others, or in defense of the nation.

dogs named Charlie
Apr 5, 2009

by exmarx

Dead Reckoning posted:

Most people wouldn't describe shooting an attacker as "casual." That said, why should it not be that way? Should citizens not be allowed to own dangerous items because of the mere possibility that they will misuse them? If you believe that, you're going to have to cast a much wider net than guns.
The act of raising the weapon towards the person you want dead and moving your finger is the easiest possible way to kill a person. Guns are unlike anything else in our society. They have no secondary use. They are made only to kill people. They are used on the wrong people more often than not. If you can think of anything else like that then we should limit that too.

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May

Dead Reckoning posted:

"In order for the country to protect itself, its population must be familiar with the use of arms. Therefore, citizens shall have the right to own and carry arms." While the United States has, over the past century, had the luxury of outsourcing our common defense to a specialized professional class, it is the fundamental right of citizens to take up arms in self-defense, in the defense of others, or in defense of the nation.

Yep, it makes sense that we allow citizens to have guns despite the document, horrific effect they have on American life just in case Red Dawn happens.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Anyone arguing against gun control instantly looks like this in my mind:

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Why do people feel they need a gun to be safe in America. I feel perfectly safe and I don't even have a knife in easy reach.

E: Also on the ineffectiveness of having a gun for self defence. A man recently attacked a family with a knife. One of those family members was armed. Then man then took the gun and went on to shoot other people with it. A gun will only protect you from harm in very specific and very rare circumstances.

Gun advocates are overwhelmingly racist babies scared of their worst nightmares coming real.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
"Gun control is the same as abortion restrictions"

:yikes:

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

joeburz posted:

Gun advocates are overwhelmingly racist babies wishing to play out their call of duty fantasies.

You missed a spot.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

joeburz posted:

Gun advocates are overwhelmingly racist babies scared of their worst nightmares coming real.

What do you mean? I'm sure they have no problem with people living in the black parts of Chicago carrying a gun for self defence. They might actually need it there.

Dead Reckoning posted:

Should citizens not be allowed to own dangerous items because of the mere possibility that they will misuse them?

Dangerous goods should be heavily regulated because a lot of people are loving idiots and some are violent psychos. If people only ever hurt themselves I might have a misanthropic peace with it but they don't.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Lessail posted:

"Gun control is the same as abortion restrictions"

:yikes:

You can't kill'em inside but once they're out, blast away!

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.
It's been forty pages. Can we please talk about anything else? Was the bombing of the MSF hospital not interesting enough to warrant more than three posts? Meanwhile, I'm sure gunchat is changing hearts and minds.

Here's an article about how US Special Forces operated in 133 different countries in 2014. I certainly had no idea of the extent of this.

quote:

A clandestine Special Ops training effort in Libya imploded when militia or “terrorist” forces twice raided its camp, guarded by the Libyan military, and looted large quantities of high-tech American equipment, hundreds of weapons—including Glock pistols and M4 rifles—as well as night vision devices and specialized lasers that can only be seen with such equipment. As a result, the mission was scuttled and the camp was abandoned. It was then reportedly taken over by a militia.

Oops! Good thing that's a pretty rare and isolated inci... gently caress. How's that for gun control?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Just organize the militia

You can own guns, but mandatory weekend training plus five hundred hours of community service yearly along with monthly mandatory physical and mental health evaluations to make sure that you are in condition to serve

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Why do people feel they need a gun to be safe in America. I feel perfectly safe and I don't even have a knife in easy reach.

E: Also on the ineffectiveness of having a gun for self defence. A man recently attacked a family with a knife. One of those family members was armed. Then man then took the gun and went on to shoot other people with it. A gun will only protect you from harm in very specific and very rare circumstances.

I wish I'd kept the link, but a guy who was open carrying was mugged for his gun. They don't prevent gently caress all.

Found it: http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/5953044

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

A Bag of Milk posted:

Oops! Good thing that's a pretty rare and isolated inci... gently caress. How's that for gun control?
That is the military equivalent of a cop leaving his gun in the shitter.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice

A Bag of Milk posted:

It's been forty pages. Can we please talk about anything else? Was the bombing of the MSF hospital not interesting enough to warrant more than three posts? Meanwhile, I'm sure gunchat is changing hearts and minds.

Here's an article about how US Special Forces operated in 133 different countries in 2014. I certainly had no idea of the extent of this.

The 2nd amendment clearly states that militias are allowed to own guns, so I fail to see the problem here. :colbert:

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
"i need a gun to defend myself because there's a lot of dangerous people out there with guns" is the same as "ugh, if only it weren't for all these other drivers i wouldn't be stuck in traffic"

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

What do you mean? I'm sure they have no problem with people living in the black parts of Chicago carrying a gun for self defence. They might actually need it there.

I see.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Popular Thug Drink posted:

"i need a gun to defend myself because there's a lot of dangerous people out there with guns" is the same as "ugh, if only it weren't for all these other drivers i wouldn't be stuck in traffic"

Except that cars kill less often per use capita.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

You're not giving me much to go on but I think you're reading something into that that isn't there.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Nintendo Kid posted:

I like this. Every time I see that argument brought out (that cars kill people, too, what are you going to do, ban cars?), I never know how to engage with it on their level because it's just so dumb. So, thanks for giving me a way to engage on that level.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

You're not giving me much to go on but I think you're reading something into that that isn't there.

I can hear it though. Loud in my mind. Very high pitch.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Nintendo Kid posted:

Now I'm intellectually curious about firearm deaths per round fired for any reason in the USA vs auto deaths per mile traveled.

E: also per time used and not fired.

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Oct 3, 2015

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Nintendo Kid posted:

Isn't it like 1 death per ~7500 cars and 1 death per ~9000 guns? The numbers are about the same (in total) but there are roughly 50-70 million more guns in the US.

mlmp08 posted:

Now I'm intellectually curious about firearm deaths per round fired for any reason in the USA vs auto deaths per mile traveled.

Probably per mile driven, most guns are just hanging around with a very small % being used daily in any kind of large capacity. I don't know how'd you even come up with a rounds per year per gun per person measurement.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Luigi Thirty posted:

I can hear it though. Loud in my mind. Very high pitch.

What exactly can you hear? I was mocking the feelings of people that think like they need a gun to defend themselves from their position of relative safety. I'm not saying a person living in the black parts of Chicago (don't be petulant you know drat well you segregate your cities by race) needs a gun but they're at far more risk than Mr whitey suburbia.

raven4267
May 7, 2009

What exactly can you hear? I was mocking the feelings of people that think like they need a gun to defend themselves from their position of relative safety. I'm not saying a person living in the black parts of Chicago (don't be petulant you know drat well you segregate your cities by race) needs a gun but they're at far more risk than Mr whitey suburbia.

Judging by the last gun thread here, owning a gun for personal protection while living in the inner city makes you a white paranoid doomsday prepper because nothing bad ever happens to people living in the ghetto.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

A Bag of Milk posted:

I tend to agree. People who wish to continue pursuing it can go to this other thread on the subject, at least until such time as the next gun-related tragedy hits. So probably for a couple of days. :smithicide:

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

raven4267 posted:

Judging by the last gun thread here, owning a gun for personal protection while living in the inner city makes you a white paranoid doomsday prepper because nothing bad ever happens to people living in the ghetto.

Okay I've never understood this about racist gun retards, if say, you are in a ~black ghetto~ and you get mugged, for being a white person of course, how does a gun help you in an armed robbery? If one reaches for a gun while having a gun pointed at them, they'll either be shot or they won't, and if they aren't shot then the robber was not a threat to begin with. And if someone gets robbed by an armed person, and then after tries to turn the table, they are committing their own crime. What is the point of a weapon in that situation even assuming random victimization?

edit: sorry absurd alhazred, NM

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Every time there's a mass murder the same fuckers come out of the woodwork to say 'Oh don't you dare say anything bad about guns or suggest any regulation!'

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Plinkey posted:

Isn't it like 1 death per ~7500 cars and 1 death per ~9000 guns?

Yeah but if you go by Fps rules and subtract a point for every team kill and suicide those figures go way down

Bob Ojeda
Apr 15, 2008

I AM A WHINY LITTLE EMOTIONAL BITCH BABY WITH NO SENSE OF HUMOR

IF YOU SEE ME POSTING REMIND ME TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

RuanGacho posted:

Can someone explain to me the justification for the 2nd in a modern context, I'm trying to figure out if nation states have a right to MAD or not.

I'm concerned that California doesn't have the rights it needs to defend itself against Alabama.

Standing armies are a tool used by monarchs to suppress the rights of the populace, and an unacceptable threat to republican values.

Therefore, it is important for political reasons that we have militias for the common defense & preservation of law instead of standing armies, and we need to enshrine the right to do that.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Plinkey posted:

Isn't it like 1 death per ~7500 cars and 1 death per ~9000 guns? The numbers are about the same (in total) but there are roughly 50-70 million more guns in the US.

Probably per mile driven, most guns are just hanging around with a very small % being used daily in any kind of large capacity. I don't know how'd you even come up with a rounds per year per gun per person measurement.

Yes, the important part is that vast amounts of guns out there don't get used - they're still in fireable condition or easily restored to that, but they just sit around. Meanwhile a lot more of the passenger car fleet is used, and a lot more often at that.

Very few people will have a car and just leave it int he garage for years on end, a lot more do that with a gun, sometimes even unknowingly.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

A Bag of Milk posted:

Well, we don't actually know anything about what lead up to the bombing, so there isn't much to talk about. Also, it's not really a political issue.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Bob Ojeda posted:

Standing armies are a tool used by monarchs to suppress the rights of the populace, and an unacceptable threat to republican values.

Therefore, it is important for political reasons that we have militias for the common defense & preservation of law instead of standing armies, and we need to enshrine the right to do that.

Gee, wonder how that worked out, oh yeah, the last time we tried that, the White House burned down.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I'm still processing the hospital bombing but every time I can formulate a thought that seems to strike close to my feelings on the matter, a new bit of news comes out that makes me even more depressed an angry.

Bob Ojeda
Apr 15, 2008

Klaus88 posted:

Gee, wonder how that worked out, oh yeah, the last time we tried that, the White House burned down.

In all honesty, it wasn't an unrealistic concern for republican theorists at the time, or completely unrealistic as a solution, given the examples of the Swiss etc.

And in fact in a lot of ways hindsight has kind of proved them right in their concern. There are plenty of examples where exactly what they were afraid of happened - Literally Napoleon, to start with - and the man on horseback problem remains a real thing. It's not like it's uncommon for coups to be lead by military officers even today. At the same time it's also become very clear since that their solution doesn't work and that national defense pretty much demands a standing army. But it wasn't really that crazy at the time.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Seriously, this is no longer a suggestion. Take gun chat to another thread for now. It's gone on long enough here, it's swamping out all other updates on US politics.

Bob Ojeda
Apr 15, 2008

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Seriously, this is no longer a suggestion. Take gun chat to another thread for now. It's gone on long enough here, it's swamping out all other updates on US politics.

Sorry I wasn't trying to get into a gun argument I just really like talking about republican theory

Job Truniht
Nov 7, 2012

MY POSTS ARE REAL RETARDED, SIR

Jagchosis posted:

Okay I've never understood this about racist gun retards, if say, you are in a ~black ghetto~ and you get mugged, for being a white person of course, how does a gun help you in an armed robbery? If one reaches for a gun while having a gun pointed at them, they'll either be shot or they won't, and if they aren't shot then the robber was not a threat to begin with. And if someone gets robbed by an armed person, and then after tries to turn the table, they are committing their own crime. What is the point of a weapon in that situation even assuming random victimization?

edit: sorry absurd alhazred, NM
Gun control also has a history of being racist- given Reagan, the Black Panthers, and the AWB.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

An anonymous source told People Magazine the shooter's manifesto is all about serving Satan and shooting Christians in the name of Satan. Uh... I'm sure this is actually what it said. I hope we get another round of Satanic panic videotapes out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Job Truniht posted:

Gun control also has a history of being racist- given Reagan, the Black Panthers, and the AWB.
Pretty much. If people actually want gun control, the fastest way to go about it would be to vocally and publicly arm as many minority groups as possible and watch the right wing jump over themselves to find a way to restrict gun ownership. :smith:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

• Locked thread