Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Almost every senior NCO I've met in the military would be laughed out of any actual professional setting in the real world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
Fortune 500 companies will totally respect that I've been to SLC and Sergeants Major Course, I'll just show them my DD214 and collect $12039211291 a year

//ends up working as a GS5 at CIF, kicks your unused poo poo back

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
lot of former senior NCOs, to include a few CSMs guarding gates at Benning.

FIDEL CASHFLOW
Oct 13, 2009

Kiryen posted:

This is why you never play that card until the absolute last second. Tell them you want to re-enlist for some weird-rear end MOS you have no chance of getting, and then if it does look like they're going to arrange it, change your mind.

88U is my go-to

Chewbacca Defense
Sep 6, 2009

High speed, low drag.

MightyJoe36 posted:

Never got this. They send E8/E9s to a year-long school to be CSMs, then all they do is check police call and tell people to keep off the grass/get a haircut.

I've met three SGMs that weren't complete idiots and actually contributed to planning beyond what the uniform was going to be.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

not caring here posted:

The cleaning lady at my office is a retired E-8

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Booblord Zagats posted:

:allears:

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Booblord Zagats posted:

Haahahahahahaha.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Booblord Zagats posted:

im dyin

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
I hope you stand at parade rest for her

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Booblord Zagats posted:

feels good man

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
i would demand the cleaning lady to be at the office at 530am to empty the trash before pt because there is a can in it.

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

CHILD RAPE IS FINE WHEN I LIKE THE RAPIST
Counsel her on failing to clean to standards and how her lack of attention to detail is crippling the warfighting effort, jeapordizing the mission and safety of ARE TROOPS

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005
Stained, dirty, smells like weed, possibly a relic from the sixties.

On the one hand, it makes me kinda sad that they invested that amount of time to have so little to show for it when they hit their expiration date, and probably sacrificed good relationships along the way.

On the other hand, poor computer literacy, a bullshit degree from a bullshit institution, a maybe high school level of articulation, dictatorial micromanagement, utterly absent personal boundaries, poor prioritization of and obsessing over meaningless cherry-picked metrics for ill-defined goals, a penchant for wasting resources and man-hours, and being unable to describe in concrete terms your meaningful contribution to the organization, aren't highly sought after qualities outside of the army bubble, and I'm glad these people exist so I can point them out to potential career enlisted.

Suntan Boy fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Oct 4, 2015

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Suntan Boy posted:

On the one hand, it makes me kinda sad that they invested that amount of time to have so little to show for it when they hit their expiration date, and probably sacrificed good relationships along the way.

On the other hand, poor computer literacy, a bullshit degree from a bullshit institution, a maybe high school level of articulation, dictatorial micromanagement, utterly absent personal boundaries, poor prioritization of and obsessing over meaningless cherry-picked metrics for ill-defined goals, a penchant for wasting resources and man-hours, and being unable to describe in concrete terms your meaningful contribution to the organization, aren't highly sought after qualities outside of the army bubble, and I'm glad these people exist so I can point them out to potential career enlisted.

This is a good post.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Suntan Boy posted:

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

Suntan Boy posted:

:agreed:

Jus' gonna quote this in the "Ask About Joining" thread.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

sky shark posted:

Counsel her on failing to clean to standards and how her lack of attention to detail is crippling the warfighting effort, jeapordizing the mission and safety of ARE TROOPS

Nah, I let my brother do that poo poo, because she's not that good of a cleaning lady. She was bitching to me (thinking that hey, I'm his brother, I can talk to him) about her only making $9.50 an hour and I tried to explain how a janitor for a 1100 sqft office should probably be happy making more than minimum wage. When she complained to him, he walked her through the building pointing out every shoe print on the tile and every smudge on the windows, then asked her how the hell he was paying her more than minimum.

Seriously, everyone in my office with exception for our receptionists are former military. Most got out at O-4 and the only time the rest of us talk about the military is to bitch about how stupid it was, but she keeps telling us how exciting running Humvee/HEMTT convoys from Irwin to Hood was like the rest of us would give a poo poo.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I work with a few veterans, but we rarely ever talk about the military. Although they typically assign at least one of us to work with DoD customers because we know how to manage the personality types (re: terrible assholes). Which gets old, but oh well.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

http://www.duffelblog.com/2015/10/army-unveils-pink-camo-for-breast-cancer-awareness/

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

not caring here posted:

Confirmed for Bragg as well.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

Triggs posted:

Has anybody been to JRTC recently? I got tagged to be an OC/T and I'm fully expecting it to suck.

Just got back but I was in fob forge. It does suck.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
How often do units go to JRTC or NTC? The brigade I'm going to just got back from NTC recently.

Obstacle2
Dec 21, 2004
feels good man

Mustang posted:

How often do units go to JRTC or NTC? The brigade I'm going to just got back from NTC recently.

I went twice in four years up at Wainwright. Once before a deployment as an entire brigade, and another time to pretend to be Iraqi Army as a battalion.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Obstacle2 posted:

another time to pretend to be Iraqi Army as a battalion.

Did you have to stay below a time limit for how fast you could evacuate your vehicle?

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Please tell me platoon OPORDs aren't normally 16 pages long

faddypaddy
Sep 3, 2011

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
Everyone gets a title or we lose it next year

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made Prod

Mustang posted:

I have seen 30 plus pages for a grass cutting detail.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Mustang posted:

Welcome to Tactics Phase, or why I was drunk for three months straight. Say goodbye to your weekends.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Mustang posted:

It's been amusing watching the horror slowly dawn on you. :allears:

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

Mustang posted:

lol

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Mustang posted:

Nobody uses OPORDs below the battalion level. You'll either use a CONOP or just tell your NCOs what the mission is. Also, nobody who isn't an idiot plans a mission by themselves. Bring in your NCOs and let them plan that poo poo with your input.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Armor school OPORDs are the definition of full retard.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Mustang posted:

dehumanize yourself and face to bloodshed

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Mustang posted:

Thanks 4 ur service! :usa:

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Hopefully this is the right thread to ask a general question in, but I have an acquaintance who's an Army NCO and today he posted on Facebook that he'd been notified earlier this year that he was one of several NCOs who were under consideration for denial of continued service thing under the QMP and today he got the notice that after 16 years, he's gotten the boot. Since most of my family's either Navy or Air Force, I don't have a clue what this means other than he got the sack and I can't really ask the guy for the dirt. So, if anyone can explain what this is and what would be the reasons for this, I'd be thankful since my curiosity's going wild.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Army says we have enough of you. You also happen to be unfortunate enough to (pick at least two):

- Have a job or slot that they don't need anymore due to restructuring
- Have high enough rank that you're "too senior" to reclass to change positions
- Be in a state (guard) or area of the country (reserve or active) that has run out of money
- Have pissed somebody off who is of equal or higher rank with a penchant for Brutusing people
- Refuse to suck as much dick as your peers of equal "paper value" (promotion points, NCOERs, etc)
- Be an actual shitbag and be in a position career-wise that you allowed that poo poo to catch up to you

BONUS: pick only one of the following in lieu of any of the above for an automatic qualification for getting kicked out:

- Rely on oxygen to function

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

M_Sinistrari posted:

Hopefully this is the right thread to ask a general question in, but I have an acquaintance who's an Army NCO and today he posted on Facebook that he'd been notified earlier this year that he was one of several NCOs who were under consideration for denial of continued service thing under the QMP and today he got the notice that after 16 years, he's gotten the boot. Since most of my family's either Navy or Air Force, I don't have a clue what this means other than he got the sack and I can't really ask the guy for the dirt. So, if anyone can explain what this is and what would be the reasons for this, I'd be thankful since my curiosity's going wild.

If he's an E5, he hit RCP and that's a wrap

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Lmao at getting the boot 4 years before retirement.

Could he do a 4 year contract in another branch/reenlist and retire as an E5 or something or is that really it?

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Justin Tyme posted:

Lmao at getting the boot 4 years before retirement.

Could he do a 4 year contract in another branch/reenlist and retire as an E5 or something or is that really it?

I don' t know. From how he's talking it's a final set in stone thing. Going from the list Gierskogul posted, I could see it being not advancing fast enough in the eyes of the higher ups, or pissing someone off since he's a bit of a smarmy Internet Atheist/Libtard type as well as feeling he's above any asskissing. He's also one of those obnoxiously nerdy types with all the Dr. Who/Joss Whedon fanhumor references, a furry and possibly a brony too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Is this real life?

• Locked thread