Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

McFrugal posted:

If you play offline, it gives you a generic player profile, which can gently caress up a lot of things. Don't play offline ever.

poo poo. I thought it'd have a snapshot of all my items at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

So I may have discovered a minor bug.

Indirectly mining a leadstone energy cell with an ichorium pickaxe will give you a full creative energy cell. I trust that none of you are going to heavily abuse this information at all.

BlondRobin
May 29, 2005

Sssh! Be vewy vewy quiet. It's wabbit season.

VerdantSquire posted:

Indirectly mining a leadstone energy cell with an ichorium pickaxe will give you a full creative energy cell. I trust that none of you are going to heavily abuse this information at all.

To be fair if you have an (awakened, I assume) ichorium pickaxe you probably have access to essentially unlimited RF generation anyway because you're far enough along in general.

Now, if you could do that with, like, a wooden hammer...

Carsius
May 7, 2013

I found the infernal core a much better compromise over the tainted wands. It carries 150 vis, and protects you from wither, extinguishes you when you're on fire, and completely protects you against fire/lava when held.

Just having it in your inventory makes Gaia II really easy.

Carsius fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Oct 3, 2015

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Chopping trees down and making elves cry.
Huh, that is actually... I hadn't thought of that... That really would neuter a large part of the adds the drat GG brings in wouldn't it?

Carsius
May 7, 2013

Zebrin posted:

Huh, that is actually... I hadn't thought of that... That really would neuter a large part of the adds the drat GG brings in wouldn't it?

It makes the purple creep he constantly puts on the floor completely harmless. The adds spawned in don't really change, but a shock focus + chain lightning tears through them like butter.

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Chopping trees down and making elves cry.
Well, I was thinking wither skeletons spawned and their damned effect. Pains in the rear end that they are... but it also works on the purple gunk? drat that is nice.

Womyn Capote
Jul 5, 2004

I built that reactor and turned it on, seems to be working except there is no power being generated. Fuel and both heat bars are maxed out but the buffer stays empty and power cells will not fill up. What could I have wrong?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Is it hooked to something? Maybe the power is draining instantly. If you've got fluxducts, each block of those actually stores RF as well.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

There seems to be a bug in Thaumic Energistics where partitioned essentia drives don't actually pull the correct essentia. For example, on Goonfall I partitioned a drive to only accept Volatus but when I put it in the IO Port to pull all the Volatus off the other drives, it instead pulled Fames. I've filed a bug report on it.

Carsius
May 7, 2013

Attempting to connect my dawn totem via Thaumic Energistics seems to cause it to pull essentia at an absurd rate. Not quite sure what to do, because it pulls far more than it should.

Edit: Apparently it burnt through our stock of >1k of Sano, Aer, and Ignis, as well as the rest of the essentia it takes in less than 30 seconds.
I'm not exaggerating.

Carsius fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Oct 3, 2015

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Found this thread and thought it looked cool, now I'm slowly setting up a base of my own. Unfortunately, there's an early quest that's giving me fits: The Engineer wants me to craft a Stone Gun, but no matter which recipe I use (the one listed in the search function, or the one from the NPC mod on the carpentry bench), it won't craft. Anyone else run into this?

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
I've reached the point where I need to start producing power and I'm thinking of starting with BigReactors before moving on to the infinite power solution Magres posted after I've figured out Botania. I've been strip mining large areas using my Bound Pickaxe and I have a small amount of Yellorium (11 ore that I can apparently triple somehow).

How long does a bar of Yellorium last generally? I get the impression it lasts for a while then you reprocess the Blutonium and that lasts a good while too.

Does anyone bother with turbines in Blightfall? I haven't seen many people talk about them, but they seem like a good way to get the most bang for your buck with so little Yellorium.

BlondRobin
May 29, 2005

Travic posted:

I've reached the point where I need to start producing power and I'm thinking of starting with BigReactors before moving on to the infinite power solution Magres posted after I've figured out Botania. I've been strip mining large areas using my Bound Pickaxe and I have a small amount of Yellorium (11 ore that I can apparently triple somehow).

How long does a bar of Yellorium last generally? I get the impression it lasts for a while then you reprocess the Blutonium and that lasts a good while too.

Does anyone bother with turbines in Blightfall? I haven't seen many people talk about them, but they seem like a good way to get the most bang for your buck with so little Yellorium.

Yellorium lasts a long time; the most inefficient reactors are also pretty expensive to build so if you've gotten that far, you're probably doing it on purpose.

Turbines, however, aren't as good as they look because building a Turbine requires Bluorium (or is it just cyanite?) which is the waste process for a reactor, so in total you have to spend yellorium to build the reactor, AND the turbine (and if it's Bluorium it's 2 yellorium to 1 Bluorium), AND fuel the final result. If you needed a ton of RF all the time, maybe, but so much in Blightfall is magical it's most likely you just use RF for basic automation and a giant AE2 network; I don't know what you'd do with it. Unless you have plans for a ton of RF you'd probably get more bang for your buck taking all the material you'd spend on a turbine and just using it as fuel. Don't quote me on that, though, I don't have much experience with active reactors.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

BlondRobin posted:

Yellorium lasts a long time; the most inefficient reactors are also pretty expensive to build so if you've gotten that far, you're probably doing it on purpose.

Turbines, however, aren't as good as they look because building a Turbine requires Bluorium (or is it just cyanite?) which is the waste process for a reactor, so in total you have to spend yellorium to build the reactor, AND the turbine (and if it's Bluorium it's 2 yellorium to 1 Bluorium), AND fuel the final result. If you needed a ton of RF all the time, maybe, but so much in Blightfall is magical it's most likely you just use RF for basic automation and a giant AE2 network; I don't know what you'd do with it. Unless you have plans for a ton of RF you'd probably get more bang for your buck taking all the material you'd spend on a turbine and just using it as fuel. Don't quote me on that, though, I don't have much experience with active reactors.

the bulk of the turbine needs cyanite which you can craft with 1 yellorium ingot and 1 sand

the controller needs blutonium but not very much and it's easy to make in the cyanite reprocessor

also turbines are loving awesome, so efficient

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

BlondRobin posted:

Ok. I think the only thing I'm going to use power on is an auto-spawner set-up for Wither Skulls. Of course I still don't know what half the mods in this pack do so maybe I'll find something else. Maybe ME? It seems like it collects items and stores them digitally and I just hook a cable up to a crafting table to make things. No more running back and forth to chests for items?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Applied Energistics (AE for short, sometimes referred to as ME, meaning Mass/Energy), is essentially a super chest mod. You upload all your items into hard drives, and using an access terminal you can search for any items anywhere in the system, craft using any items in the system, and automatically import/export specific items to specific places. You can run cables with access terminals to different points on your base so that you can access your superchest from your thaumcraft area, from your farm area, from your power plant, etc. You don't hook it up to a crafting table, you use AE crafting terminals instead, which let you both access your items in the system, and have a crafting grid there in the same UI. There's also autocrafting blocks you can put in. An AE system drains power slowly just being in existence, and has a small power cost each time an item is put into/out of the system, or crafted using the system. It is a quite reasonable power drain, and generally isn't going to be an issue unless you try to build a massive AE system before you have a stable power source going. One of the neat things about the AE system is that all its components also transmit power, so if you have RF going into an Energy Acceptor block anywhere on your AE system, it will power the entire thing.

The downsides of AE include that for all the convenience it adds to normal crafting, it's got some really stupid specific crafting methods that you need in order to craft AE components, such as throwing certain combinations of items together into a water source block, or using this extremely special snowflake crafting block that refuses to accept item stacks, but needs items placed into it only one at a time.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Travic posted:

Ok. I think the only thing I'm going to use power on is an auto-spawner set-up for Wither Skulls. Of course I still don't know what half the mods in this pack do so maybe I'll find something else. Maybe ME? It seems like it collects items and stores them digitally and I just hook a cable up to a crafting table to make things. No more running back and forth to chests for items?

An AE network is complicated to set up but really powerful when you have it; it basically lets you access all of your items from anywhere, and with an autocrafting setup you can also request items and it will build/smelt/process stuff as needed to make it. It can even interface with other mods, so with the right setup it can do things like auto produce balanced shards for use in Thaumcraft stuff.

On the other hand, setting it up is complicated (well, the basic network that just stores your stuff isn't so bad, especially since Blightfall seems to lack any other alternatives for very large storage), so it only really saves time if you're in for the really long haul. Basically if it takes 5 minutes to make a dawn totem and 2 hours to make an automated dawn totem factory, you have to make a lot of totems to pull ahead.

Of course, it's a game, so in the end it pretty much comes down to whatever you have fun with.

BlondRobin
May 29, 2005

AE is a wonderful/awful mod that is the cause of and solution to all of your problems. Expect to spend hours setting it up to do things because of odd quirks (p2p tunnels are one way and input/output matters!?) and frustrating limitations). Its devices are incredibly awkward because the game wants and expects you to automate them, as far as I can tell, which means you have to set up a network to set up a network to... you get the point.

On the other hand, it's amazing even as just a 'stuff box' mod, and is probably the core of automation as far as this mod goes. I'm kind of surprised that Thermal Expansion, which is relatively straightforward gets a bunch of tutorializing, and AE2 doesn't even though AE2 is way more critical to what the mod wants you to do, which is mass-produce blight cure. (even though thanks to chunk limits it's not necessary once you get dawn totems.)

I both had a ton of fun setting my AE2 networks up and was incredibly frustrated setting my AE2 networks up. Challenge it to your own tolerance level, it can and will quickly turn into a lumbering octopus of wires and chaos that both controls everything your base does, and is like 75% of your base at the same time.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

BlondRobin posted:

(p2p tunnels are one way and input/output matters!?)

no they aren't, they are straight passthrough

you are setting them up in pairs and making sure to give the ad-hoc network power right

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Marshall/Kirtaner 8/24 nevar forget! (omg pedo)

StrangeAeon posted:

Found this thread and thought it looked cool, now I'm slowly setting up a base of my own. Unfortunately, there's an early quest that's giving me fits: The Engineer wants me to craft a Stone Gun, but no matter which recipe I use (the one listed in the search function, or the one from the NPC mod on the carpentry bench), it won't craft. Anyone else run into this?

You probably are making buttons out of non-standard stones. Make a button out of basic cobblestone/stone. That will probably fix it. I had the same issue

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I've grown to really, really dislike AE2. Everything from the lovely way they do autocrafting with interfaces and separate crafting CPUs to the stupid 7 channel limit of cables to the fact that you have to play 'guess the number you can build' when you want to request autocrafting.

Autocrafting in general seems more trouble than it's worth when you can just type what you want into NEI and hit shift-? and boom it's built, if only there was a way to keep numbers of cables/pistons/chests/whatever onhand.

I really just want a pattern chest I throw patterns into, with a "keep X on hand" option for each. And have it intelligently put larger amounts of objects in the larger ME drives without me having to partition them ahead of time. Even if I had to shove them in a "Defrag" block or something to re-arrange them.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

in AE1 you used to be able to use level emitters that would output a redstone signal if your network contained less than a specified number of a specified item

i guess if it still exists in AE2 you could do this but you'd probably have to have like a single mini-network for each item you want to check

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Yeah you can have it all in a big row, but it eats up a million channels since that's 3 devices per thing. And of course yet another separate pattern for each crafting and crafting card (2 diamonds!)

It's all just a massive hassle. I don't feel like making 40 patterns of things plus setting all that up, especially since it's easier just to spend extra time to get more materials and make like double or triple or even a full stack what you might need, to have them for later, then just use NEI as your "autocrafter". Especially with duplication, that's the faster method.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Oct 3, 2015

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Bhodi posted:

I really just want a pattern chest I throw patterns into, with a "keep X on hand" option for each. And have it intelligently put larger amounts of objects in the larger ME drives without me having to partition them ahead of time. Even if I had to shove them in a "Defrag" block or something to re-arrange them.

ME interfaces do this

on the top of the GUI you can put an item in it and if you give the ME interface a crafting card it will autocraft things up to the limit

then you put a storage bus facing the ME interface and presto Keep In Stock

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

in AE1 you used to be able to use level emitters that would output a redstone signal if your network contained less than a specified number of a specified item

i guess if it still exists in AE2 you could do this but you'd probably have to have like a single mini-network for each item you want to check

:confused:

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I guess there are maybe two ways to do it?

Level emitter with the # of items you want, pointing to a export bus with a crafting and redstone upgrade pointing at a ME interface, and having a pattern of that object (and it's deps) in an interface pointing at the crafting assembler.

OR

ME Interface with a crafting card with the number of objects in it pointing at a storage bus

I haven't tested either because, as I said, PITA. The second option if it works is way better, I was playing with the first half-heartedly before I moved on.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

yeah i used to love the old AE, but with the new one I haven't even managed to scrape together the effort required to set up autocrafting and i've been poking at it since it came out

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
Auto-crafting needs easy entry level I need boxes of chests and torches powered by like a cow on a treadmill tier but instead everything is locked behind diamonds.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

How do you know when you start to need power?

Can you trap tainted nodes in jars? or just normal ones? (ie why didnt the tainted node i tried to jar end up in a jar.)

And clearing taint.
Remove the tainted node then use etherblooms/dawntotems? They will clear it vertically as well?

I am thinking of trying to clear another island next. Either the big one in the swamp, or one of the western ones.

And all the non tainted water around the map with mobs under the water, is it cheating to go out there?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Meskhenet posted:

How do you know when you start to need power?

when you start getting pissed off at all the chests you need to store your stuff, that is when you need power (for an AE system)

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Carsius posted:

Attempting to connect my dawn totem via Thaumic Energistics seems to cause it to pull essentia at an absurd rate. Not quite sure what to do, because it pulls far more than it should.

Edit: Apparently it burnt through our stock of >1k of Sano, Aer, and Ignis, as well as the rest of the essentia it takes in less than 30 seconds.
I'm not exaggerating.

loving Thaumic Energistics.

So, yeah, before there was a "bug" where thaumic energistics wouldn't extract into the dawn machine. We investigated and found out that we were doing everything right, but you can't extract into a thaumcraft container unless it's been expressly added to the thaumic energistics whitelist, which can't be done through configs, it has to be done through their API.

So I implemented the API and it still didn't work. I investigated & I found out that even though I registered my thing thorugh their API, the API didn't actually work at all, because the code to detect the capacity of a thaumcraft container wasn't using the thaumcraft API to get the capacity, it was using hardcoded values for vanilla thaumcraft containers and assuming 0 capacity for everything else. The most recent version fixed this, but you have to manually give it a capacity value, which is really weird because thaumcraft containers can have different capacities for different aspects and also because that is doable through the thaumcraft API.

O....kay.

So we updated thaumic energistics to the most recent version and it worked ok and we released it. So now you report your bug and we look into it.

Turns out that the code to detect the current essentia in a thaumcraft container ALSO does not use the thaumcraft API and STILL has hardcoded values for vanilla thaumcraft containers, so it assumes that all other containers are empty. This wouldn't be a problem because thaumcraft has an insert essentia method that returns how much was actually inserted, but thaumic energistics ignores the return value and always removes the essentia from the network regardless of what happened. They also wrote their own insertion method that takes the same parameters as the thaumcraft one and attempts to do the same checking as the thaumcraft one, but it does it wrong and then ignores the thaumcraft method's checking. Like... what?!

So I'm sorry, thaumic energistics sucks, you're hosed.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
I appreciate these packs and the work you put in them and realizing how hosed half these mods are

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

30.5 Days posted:

loving Thaumic Energistics.
So I'm sorry, thaumic energistics sucks, you're hosed.

Minecraft-modding.txt

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

SugarAddict posted:

Minecraft-modding.txt

seriously.

I guess you can get around it maybe with a buffer or a jar?

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Bhodi posted:

seriously.

Taffer did it by having two essentia providers with pipes running everywhere out of each provider.

Willheim Wordsworth
Dec 29, 2008
I feel like the dawn totems aren't too useful because you have to either wait an hour for the last blocks of tainted soil to revert, or run over the area with a purity focus which you could have done without the totem anyway. It would be cool if there was some sort of purifying flame spell which would use ignis and remove crusted taint, fibres, and the soil in a big area, but not change the biome.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Bhodi posted:

seriously.

Jars and buffers do work fine. Making a station with a dawn machine and 10 jars and then the jars have export busses or some providers beneath them should work fine and allow you to Offering it in and out to/from the field with the jars intact. A "fill-up" will allow you to clean 3 areas.

Willheim Wordsworth posted:

I feel like the dawn totems aren't too useful because you have to either wait an hour for the last blocks of tainted soil to revert, or run over the area with a purity focus which you could have done without the totem anyway. It would be cool if there was some sort of purifying flame spell which would use ignis and remove crusted taint, fibres, and the soil in a big area, but not change the biome.

That's literally what the ignis upgrade for the dawn machine does, though. 8 charcoal and 1 log makes 64 torches, which run through a centrifuge will get you enough aer and ignis to clear a 128x128 area of tainted soil and fibrous taint.

EDIT: And crusted taint, but it turns into goo without the vacuos upgrade.

30.5 Days fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Oct 4, 2015

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

yeah i used to love the old AE, but with the new one I haven't even managed to scrape together the effort required to set up autocrafting and i've been poking at it since it came out

AE2 autocrafting is a lot cheaper and easier and more modular than AE1. It's way better.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
No kidding, I'd have a hard time switching back to AE1 at this point. Barring the stupidity of presses and meteors, once you get into the meat of AE2 it's superior to AE1. I've got auto-crafting set up on like 6 channels worth and auto-genning basic materials on just storage buses to deep storage units (cobble, sand, gravel, stone, stone brick).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlondRobin
May 29, 2005

30.5 Days posted:

That's literally what the ignis upgrade for the dawn machine does, though. 8 charcoal and 1 log makes 64 torches, which run through a centrifuge will get you enough aer and ignis to clear a 128x128 area of tainted soil and fibrous taint.

EDIT: And crusted taint, but it turns into goo without the vacuos upgrade.

Speaking of the dawn machine, I've been having a bug where after it runs for a while, usually a bit before it finishes cleaning a spot, my game becomes soft-unresponsive; I can't break blocks, blocks I place will disappear from my inventory but not actually appear, etc. If I quit and restart it's fine (any items 'placed' simply turn up in my inventory as if they were never missing) but it makes operating the machine really frustrating on top of the fact that it devours Essentia for a slightly more convenient Dawn Totem. Is this a bug, or is it just that my computer's too out of date to run the modpack at this point? It's felt like it's been struggling as I've automated more things, especially once I put down two spotloaders in my base to keep the vis relays under control.

If it's just my computer being rear end, it's fine; frankly, at this point I basically fly around dropping an angel block and planting dawn totems in one entire loaded area then AFKing in the middle while they do their thing. I was hoping the dawn machine would make it less... well, boring, but if it doesn't work, it's no big deal; I can't really afford to fund the essentia (ordo and cogito) that make it significantly better than 2-3 dawn totems anyway, and winning is guaranteed either way, just a question of time and effort. I just figured I'd report it in case it's a bug.

• Locked thread