Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
The US has just bombed an MSF facility in northern Afghanistan. Oh wait that's Doctors Without Boarders MSF. Wrong MSF Obama what are you doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

diamond dog
Jul 27, 2010

by merry exmarx
they should get their own nuke imo

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Now that would have been a metal gear solid style plot. Hospitals need a nuclear deterrent to keep from getting bombed, but then they have to have the military staff to stop from being raided and having their nuke stolen. Soon, hospitals become the center of their own PMCs. Then, people try to use other hospitals because that is hosed up. So the PMC hospitals dispatch forces to dismantle competing hospitals and "recruit" their doctors.

Considering the playstyle of MGS tends towards non-lethal extraction netting the best score, breaking into a hospital and extracting all the doctors and all the patients, with whatever specialized equipment they need, would be surprisingly fitting.

"Snake, that patient is using and Iron Lung"
"Iron Lung?!"
"It's a medical device that can keep a person alive by literally forcing them to breath. It actually quiet a technological marvel. It works by sealing their entire body except for their head inside a pressure-controlled container. The pressure inside of this container can then be raised and lowered to expand and contract the patient's chest cavity, forcing their lungs to inhale and exhale."
"That's pretty smart"
"It has its downsides though. The patient is totally immobilized, and the Iron Lung is heavy and hard to move. You won't be able to carry them, and they won't fit on a chopper. First, you'll need to acquire a generator to power the Iron Lung while in transit. Once the generator is attached, you can wheel them to a loading dock and put them on a truck, or call in a cargo helicopter if you have the resources"

"Snake, that's a Generator. It uses combustable fuels to generate Electricity to power Medical Devices."
"Medical Devices!?"
"MDs for short. Some patients won't survive without their MDs, so you need to extract them WITH their MDs."

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Nakar posted:

Huey is really one of the better pathological liars I've seen in a game story. The performance really knocks it out of the park too, stumbling all over statements and pathetically reinforcing the things suggested to him. You can tell Ocelot is just standing there going "Uh-huh. Really."
For a while I was the idiot and thought the Huey torture bits was just some commentary on torture leading to poor intelligence. And then I got to the interrogations about Strangelove and it was a huge "ohhhhh, that's what was going on" moment when I realized he was using fantastical story telling to try and keep reality consistent with whatever was going on in his hosed up mind.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

You took out the MRI machine? It wasn't one of the objectives, but it's left a hole in their body imaging capabilities!

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The enemy cancer...

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

zedprime posted:

[Huey] was using fantastical story telling to try and keep reality consistent with whatever was going on in his hosed up mind.

So it other words, much like Kojima. He changes his story to fit the times, to fit whatever he's thinking. There are no facts to Kojima, only interpretations.

Seriously, I almost wonder if Huey is some kind of hosed up self-insert for Kojima himself. They both made Metal Gears for a living until they were fired, at least.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Oct 3, 2015

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

kazil posted:

You took out the MRI machine? It wasn't one of the objectives, but it's left a hole in their body imaging capabilities!

Lol

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

kazil posted:

"Snake, if you extract enemy MDs, we can install them in St. Heaven's Outer Wing. Just remember, the Outer Wing is vulnerable to raids by other Private Military Hospitals"

"That's an enemy X-Ray machine... A single burst from its emitter can look right through a man"

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
She's uninsured! Boss, she is not setting foot inside this hospital.

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

Vikar Jerome posted:

Also turns out the nuke cutscene is waiting for info from some online server and it seems to be at least 3 different checks.

The bit in the post you linked I'm pretty sure is for the codec call that tells you Nukes were being developed again AFTER the cutscene.
Woops, meant this post, sorry. Had another tab up It's looking for more than 0 Nukes existing and that the Nuclear Disarmament Cutscene has already been triggered. Basically if that ending is still attainable, everyone needs to bring the number of Nukes online down to 0 to get that ending and it will trigger while that number stays at 0.

VarXX fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Oct 3, 2015

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
It's going to be impossible to get rid of all the nukes considering they can get taken after being decommissioned. INFINITE NUKES.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Worse than that, since they can be stored offline it's possible to hack them in so a person could just keep spawning themselves free nukes (the servers can't tell if you built one legitimately or not). I wonder if we'll ever see the cutscene if the rules don't change, especially on PC.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I plan on not disarming my nuke once I have it built, so hopefully I can keep PS3 players from getting that ending.

Better start reinforcing my FOB.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Wait, can you disarm your own nuke? Does that give you both trophies?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Speedball posted:

I believe it does.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt

Raxivace posted:

I plan on not disarming my nuke once I have it built, so hopefully I can keep PS3 players from getting that ending.

Better start reinforcing my FOB.

Someone very patient will force their way to it within hours regardless of what you do. The only way to actually defend your nukes is to be playing 24/7 so you can defend them yourself.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Raxivace posted:

I believe it does.

It does, 100%.
It's how I got them both.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Raxivace posted:

So it other words, much like Kojima. He changes his story to fit the times, to fit whatever he's thinking. There are no facts to Kojima, only interpretations.

Seriously, I almost wonder if Huey is some kind of hosed up self-insert for Kojima himself. They both made Metal Gears for a living until they were fired, at least.

Take a look at whose glasses Huey is wearing when he gets exiled.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Speedball posted:

The message is to lead by example. :colbert:

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
All you have to do to steal a nuke is to Fulton it off the owner's Command Platform. You can dive into the ocean afterward for all the difference it'll make.

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Don't do this to me

Don't you dare

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Ocelot and EVA collect memorabilia of the man they love.

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.
Ocelot totally grew his hair long to look like EVA. Big Boss didn't even notice.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Take a look at whose glasses Huey is wearing when he gets exiled.

Is he wearing Kojima's glasses or something?

EDIT: Holy gently caress what a dumb typo.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Oct 3, 2015

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

Raxivace posted:

Is hearing Kojima's or something?

"He gave them to me! I didn't steal them! And so what if i did? "

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Raxivace posted:

Is he wearing Kojima's glasses or something?

EDIT: Holy gently caress what a dumb typo.

Yup

E: I'm not going to pretend I actually understand what he's getting at because I don't

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Yup

E: I'm not going to pretend I actually understand what he's getting at because I don't

"I was trying to do my best! I only wanted to help them! Those Konami fucks don't know what's good for them!"

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
I didn't spend $80 million to make an unfinished game! The game was completely finished! And anyway I didn't know it wasn't unfinished, I was just spending the money Konami gave me! If they didn't want the game to be unfinished they shouldn't have given me that $80 million years ago! They made me release the game too soon, I was just taking my time! I've always been on Konami's side!

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

I don't think that means Huey is Kojima's self-insert. I think that means Huey is just advertising the stupid JF Rey glasses the same way Kaz and digital Kojima do.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Huey wears those glasses in every scene after Ocelot breaks his old ones iirc.

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012
I just read some trivia about skullface - apparently on the bonus bluray stuff, Kojima mentions we're supposed to feel "a phantom pain" once he's gone. It's funny, I felt "a phantom pain" missing a proper antagonist the whole game.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
What is a "proper" antagonist?

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Buschmaki posted:

What is a "proper" antagonist?

Someone you actually care about in some way.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
The proper antagonist is Huey.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

I forgot to post this forever ago but you know how they REALLY give away that you're not Big Boss early on? When you go out into the field fresh and your magazine is full but you hit reload and Venom puts an extra bullet in the chamber. This is the technique that Naked Snake made fun of Ocelot for trying back in MGS 3. The real Big Boss would never do that trick.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Colapops posted:

Someone you actually care about in some way.

I cared because Skull Face blew my base, which I spent entire game building, up.

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP

DaveKap posted:

I forgot to post this forever ago but you know how they REALLY give away that you're not Big Boss early on? When you go out into the field fresh and your magazine is full but you hit reload and Venom puts an extra bullet in the chamber. This is the technique that Naked Snake made fun of Ocelot for trying back in MGS 3. The real Big Boss would never do that trick.

I thought he made fun of him for it because he tried a technique he only heard about, not the technique itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Skull Face also a megalomaniacal plan where he destroys English to use nuclear deterrence to unite the world, and he repeatedly tries to kill you, why don't you care about Skull Face? There's enough motivation for your character to hate him.

• Locked thread