Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

I will never rank up to DMG despite my friends i play with ranking up once and twice respectively.

It's been many wins and not many losses since then, but the game just refuses to rank me up.

We just loving won against a game with two eagles and two DMG's, I think I can be a DMG now.

I really dunno why it refuses to rank me up, I get lots of MVP's, lots of kills and all the poo poo people say you need to rank up but it just refuses. It's been months of consistently winning.

Faffel fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Oct 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stranger danger
May 24, 2006

mistermojo posted:

Yeah I get all that, but I learned it in HL1, which was the circle jump - > strafing without holding forward, and was called bunnyhopping by everyone, and then I remember playing Quake 3/Live and having to hold down forward and this is being disputed

For HL1 you hold forward+strafe on your first jump to get yourself some speed to start with (strafe jump), then you let go of forward once you're in the air and continue gathering speed with strafing and mouse movement on subsequent jumps (bunny hopping). At least that's how everyone I knew talked about it.

stump collector
May 28, 2007

Faffel posted:

I will never rank up to DMG despite my friends i play with ranking up once and twice respectively.

It's been many wins and not many losses since then, but the game just refuses to rank me up.

We just loving won against a game with two eagles and two DMG's, I think I can be a DMG now.

Maybe your heart is not in the right place

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

henne posted:

I made DMG the other day.
I ranked up to MGE and I'm playing well against DMGs. I'm almost to my year-end goal of LE.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

exethan posted:

Maybe your heart is not in the right place

Its this, I put my heart in my hands and the ranks...well, the ranks came. They came to me and my spirit animal howled with joy...or was it the scent of the prey????????????

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

stranger danger posted:

For HL1 you hold forward+strafe on your first jump to get yourself some speed to start with (strafe jump), then you let go of forward once you're in the air and continue gathering speed with strafing and mouse movement on subsequent jumps (bunny hopping). At least that's how everyone I knew talked about it.

that initial step is known as prestrafing
start with your dude looking parallel to the platform edge
strafe + w curving towards the edge then jump+release w
from there on its all about the airstrafes and sync

as for bhopping in csgo you need to keep a speed between 250 (running) and 300, because to combat bhopping in comp, they made it so that if your speed is over 300 and you touch the ground your speed is immediately dropped an insane amount, lower even than 250, to the point that most botched bhops are worse than just running. If you hit like 2 or 3 good bhops it's still a benefit though

stump collector
May 28, 2007
Question for item traders: I got a trade offer in keys but when I go look at this guy's profile the keys are listed as not tradable. If I accept the trade am I gonna lose my pixels

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

My friend who has played like exclusively with me went from Single AK to MGE and I'm still MGE. gently caress!!!!!

At least it means I get easy solo queue games.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Bohemian Nights posted:

ya boy did it a couple of months ahead of schedule (on a draw where I failed the clutch)

I'd like to dedicate this to all the novas who told me the sg wouldn't work at higher ranks

hey dude, that's awesome. congrats.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

sg noob doesnt even know about the secret rank above global

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
So I finally had my first competitive game. Got put in a match with 4 gold nova IIs on my team and a gold nova 3, three gold nova 2s, and a fellow unranked player on the other side. Expected to be massacred, ended up midfragging my team, 2 MVPs, not making any actual mistakes that held back the other players, had a greater than one K:D ratio, and we won like 16-9. I thanked my team for carrying a newb and they said you're welcome. I definitely went in with the hope of "not shaming my ancestors by teamkilling, teamflashing, or being the worst person on my team by a lot" and I achieved my modest hopes.

:unsmith:

Nine more to go before I see where the almighty algorithm puts me. Still badly need to learn the callouts people are using, that and "being comically inept in a sniper duel" are the two things I really have to fix.

Mukaikubo fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Oct 4, 2015

illezt
Mar 1, 2005

I've somehow made it to LE and I fuckin suck. I have no idea how it happened tbh, almost exclusively through solo queue as well past MG1/MG2

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS
I poo poo all over the majority of LEs that I face yet I still haven't made LEM. I'm getting sick of your poo poo Valve.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
I'm LEM and I only have 9 comp wins :banjo:

btw valve please add agency to one of the map rotations

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
I would love to see it added to active duty so pro teams can veto it right out and we never get to see pros play hostage rescue :smith:

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Buck Turgidson posted:

I'm LEM and I only have 9 comp wins :banjo:

btw valve please add agency to one of the map rotations

You're ranked at 10. What?

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

fennesz posted:

You're ranked at 10. What?
I think either ties count or if you tie your 10th game it counts.

Also Agency is terrible, bring back Workout.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Played two games tonight. The first one a guy only bought an smg, one only bought a scout, they kept yelling out the wrong calls and then would yell at us for rotating when they said "all mid" or "all b". It was poo poo, the other team was stomping us, it mercifully ended at like 16 to 2.

Then the next one was completely different. Hype was high, we were all bullshitting with eachother, everyone made amazing plays, we were willing to screw around and have actual fun. Clutches were met with people yelling praise over their mics. It was one of the rare games that made me realize why I like Counter-Strike. We finished 16-13 and everyone did super decent. Top frag was only 24.

Good vibes, good guys, good times.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

symbolic posted:

I think either ties count or if you tie your 10th game it counts.

Also Agency is terrible, bring back Workout.

Yes I tied the tenth game and the system took mercy on me. I had ties before though and they don't appear to have counted towards making the rank visible.

Agency is great fun for casual games. I like it way more than the other hostage maps. It feels like a super tight italy.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
Ranks have been '''''broken'''''' since those VAC waves earlier in the year.

Stumbletron
Jan 3, 2006
Anti-Stumble unit is fail!
ranks will remain broken for as long as people care about them

Carrier
May 12, 2009

ArfJason posted:

that initial step is known as prestrafing
start with your dude looking parallel to the platform edge
strafe + w curving towards the edge then jump+release w
from there on its all about the airstrafes and sync

as for bhopping in csgo you need to keep a speed between 250 (running) and 300, because to combat bhopping in comp, they made it so that if your speed is over 300 and you touch the ground your speed is immediately dropped an insane amount, lower even than 250, to the point that most botched bhops are worse than just running. If you hit like 2 or 3 good bhops it's still a benefit though

Prestrafing isnt a thing in csgo unless you play on a kz server with the right plugin.

Also, bhopping is infinitely easier if you bind mousewheel to jump, but even then its somewhat random, nobody who isnt hacking is going to consistently hit every bhop because that just isnt how it works.

The Blue Caboose
May 20, 2007

jeff gerstmann hates fun

Faffel posted:

I really dunno why it refuses to rank me up, I get lots of MVP's, lots of kills and all the poo poo people say you need to rank up but it just refuses. It's been months of consistently winning.

At one point I won 13 straight games at mge without ranking to dmg. I made it eventually, and you will too.

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

a bear you feed is a bear and a steed
I was going for Global but then I stopped playing because I'm bad and thought I could use that time productively. Maybe I'll play again

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI

Carol Pizzamom posted:

I was going for Global but then I stopped playing because I'm bad and thought I could use that time productively. Maybe I'll play again

Agreed

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Carol Pizzamom posted:

I was going for Global but then I stopped playing because I'm bad and thought I could use that time productively.

Time spent having fun is time spent productively :downs:

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Bohemian Nights posted:

Time spent having fun is time spent productively :downs:

*bohemian nights on his deathbed*

why why? why did I squander my youth on counter strike?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Forgot to buy a rifle this round? No problem. We drop-ship.

https://imgur.com/gallery/B91WfCZ

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Jeza posted:

*bohemian nights on his deathbed*

why why? why did I squander my youth on counter strike?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Haha

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
Also the rank system's basis is still kinda confusing me, nad I want to see if it's really this bizarre, I have something wrong, or if the distribution of people is a lot different than I thought.

So you can only rank up by winning more than you lose, right, and the matchmaking system tries to get people to play roughly within their skill level, yeah? That implies that for a relatively smooth distribution of skill levels, about 50% of people at a given skill level will have a winning record and be able to rank up. But... that would imply that 50% of all players are silver 1, 25% are silver 2, and so on up to... um. One in 131,072 (.003%?) would be global elite, yeah? It also implies that anyone with a nova rank is in the top, uh, 3% of competitive players. This seems not-like-reality.

So, okay, throw out the assumption of smooth distribution of skill levels. Maybe there's just a number of really terrible people that inflate everyone else's record. Even with that, though, you're going to be hard pressed to come up with a skill distribution that has more than about 2/3 of everyone at a given skill level having a winning record, and the problems crop up again. More than half of all people are silver 1s or silver 2s, a gold nova 2 is in the top 10% of all competitive players, and global elites are the top 0.25%. That seems a lot more reasonable, but just from playing a few times and hearing people talk I wouldn't have expected the vast, vast majority of all players to be silvers. Are they, or am I wrong about how the skill system basically works, or what part am I confused about?

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Mukaikubo posted:

Also the rank system's basis is still kinda confusing me, nad I want to see if it's really this bizarre, I have something wrong, or if the distribution of people is a lot different than I thought.

So you can only rank up by winning more than you lose, right, and the matchmaking system tries to get people to play roughly within their skill level, yeah? That implies that for a relatively smooth distribution of skill levels, about 50% of people at a given skill level will have a winning record and be able to rank up. But... that would imply that 50% of all players are silver 1, 25% are silver 2, and so on up to... um. One in 131,072 (.003%?) would be global elite, yeah? It also implies that anyone with a nova rank is in the top, uh, 3% of competitive players. This seems not-like-reality.

So, okay, throw out the assumption of smooth distribution of skill levels. Maybe there's just a number of really terrible people that inflate everyone else's record. Even with that, though, you're going to be hard pressed to come up with a skill distribution that has more than about 2/3 of everyone at a given skill level having a winning record, and the problems crop up again. More than half of all people are silver 1s or silver 2s, a gold nova 2 is in the top 10% of all competitive players, and global elites are the top 0.25%. That seems a lot more reasonable, but just from playing a few times and hearing people talk I wouldn't have expected the vast, vast majority of all players to be silvers. Are they, or am I wrong about how the skill system basically works, or what part am I confused about?

It's a gaussian distribution.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Mukaikubo posted:

It's not purely wins though, they use a chess like system where you take points off the team you beat with them being weighted more to those with the MVP's. So two players who play on the same team every single time could theoretically be ranked differently if one is getting carried by others

stump collector
May 28, 2007
Anyone have a bunch of shadow keys to trade? I have mostly chroma 2. Looking for 96.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

exethan posted:

Anyone have a bunch of shadow keys to trade? I have mostly chroma 2. Looking for 96.
Are you...opening 96 Shadow Cases?

stump collector
May 28, 2007

symbolic posted:

Are you...opening 96 Shadow Cases?

No but my friend wants to open 100 and I already have 4 shadow keys.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

exethan posted:

No but my friend wants to open 100 and I already have 4 shadow keys.
Is he paying you for the keys in any way?

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
wait people actually play cs with music enabled? :confused:

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

deep impact on vhs posted:

wait people actually play cs with music enabled? :confused:

Bomb timer music is incredibly helpful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stump collector
May 28, 2007

symbolic posted:

Is he paying you for the keys in any way?

200 FN Fade Friendship Bracelets

• Locked thread