Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.

Some obscure misfit transports in there. The Avro York, which was basically a Lancaster mated with a box car, and a Handley Page Hastings, inexplicably built postwar with a tail wheel undercarriage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Nebakenezzer posted:

I think the Axis 1) needed guided missiles, and 2) didn't have the technology. So they ended up with guided missiles guided by squishy organic computers. The Japanese had this thing, and those strategic submarine launched airplanes. The Germans had the Me 163 stationed near strategic facilities, kinda like early SAMs, and were messing about with manned V1s, which were Kamikaz-esque.

The weirdness here is that the Germans were way ahead in developing guided munitions, they just didn't put much resources toward them.

Apparently the Nazis did have a suicide squadron that ran kamikazi like suicide missions but they decided it was dumb and a complete waste. Leonidas squadron. 35 aircraft and pilots for one bridge destroyed.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Nebakenezzer posted:

I think the Axis 1) needed guided missiles, and 2) didn't have the technology. So they ended up with guided missiles guided by squishy organic computers. The Japanese had this thing, and those strategic submarine launched airplanes. The Germans had the Me 163 stationed near strategic facilities, kinda like early SAMs, and were messing about with manned V1s, which were Kamikaz-esque.

Don't forget about the Bachem Natter, which was, for those who don't know, a vertically-launched, semi-expendable rocket-powered manned interceptor. It was truly one of the more bizzare concepts to emerge from the Germans.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I noticed that the wings on the BAC TSR-2 looked hilariously small for how big it is so I looked up the landing speed. I didn't find any particularly authoritative sources, but according to this the landing speed was only 130 knots!?

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

david_a posted:

I noticed that the wings on the BAC TSR-2 looked hilariously small for how big it is so I looked up the landing speed. I didn't find any particularly authoritative sources, but according to this the landing speed was only 130 knots!?

Yes it is possible. The TSR-2 was fitted with full-span blown trailing-edge flaps. Basically they take bleed air off the engines, then blow it over the upper surface of the flaps. This encourages the surrounding airflow to "stick" to the flap surface (instead of separating into turbulent air), which dramatically improves lift production with the system active.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

MrChips posted:

Yes it is possible. The TSR-2 was fitted with full-span blown trailing-edge flaps. Basically they take bleed air off the engines, then blow it over the upper surface of the flaps. This encourages the surrounding airflow to "stick" to the flap surface (instead of separating into turbulent air), which dramatically improves lift production with the system active.

I've gotta be that guy and clarify that while the boundary later is sticking and not separating, it very much is turbulent (and not laminar).

Separated boundary layer: a stall.

Turbulent boundary layer: the normal condition over most of the surface of most wings, in normal flight.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

The TSR2 did seem to have tiny wings in proportion to the rest of it but it was also huge

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

vessbot posted:

I've gotta be that guy and clarify that while the boundary later is sticking and not separating, it very much is turbulent (and not laminar).

Separated boundary layer: a stall.

Turbulent boundary layer: the normal condition over most of the surface of most wings, in normal flight.

No, you're not that guy; I made a mistake and you're absolutely right. :doh:

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

MrChips posted:

Don't forget about the Bachem Natter, which was, for those who don't know, a vertically-launched, semi-expendable rocket-powered manned interceptor. It was truly one of the more bizzare concepts to emerge from the Germans.

I did forget about the Natter, and am ashamed.

In addition to what MrChips said, it was made of wood and was armed with dumbfire rockets to use against allied day bombers.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

freelop posted:

Ohka II

I've never been able to understand the logic of the Japanese suicide weapons. Even taking into account the "honourable death" thing it seems to use up far more resources than firing a tonne of regular ordinance.

The large amount of regular ordnance might have all missed, though, whereas you might have thought this would be extremely accurate, what with the human guiding it in all the way..

quote:

According to the plaque they were highly innacurate too

..oh. Why, though? Maybe they weren't controllable enough in their high speed terminal dive?

quote:

Messerschmitt Me 163b-1a

Hard to believe that tiny prop was able to propel that aircraft

:lol: (yes, I know it's the generator)

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

MrChips posted:

Of course, with a wing like the TSR-2, it also means that a faulty pneumatic system can mean the airplane is essentially un-landable. :v:

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

Saga posted:

In before Connie hate! Did you get any interior pictures of that thing?

I've got a big soft spot for HARS and the Connie, they're a great organisation. I'd nearly consider moving to Woolongong just to help out! (haha, no way.)
If you're super keen they have a little book (~ 100 pages A5) on the rescue project and bringing Connie home. I got a copy from the museum, but it might be online.

I had a chance to look through Connie in '09 at Avalon, and did capture some interior shots. To tickle your fancy:

The joys of humongous radials

I think it was $5 to have a wander through the plane. It was also super popular.

Scuse for the blurry

God only knows how ofter this all has to come off..

FE's post

Astronav window (:psyduck:)

Nav station

Galley. Why did I take this photo? :iiam:

40s luxury.

Back down the cabin from the galley

Bit of tail

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

freelop posted:

I've never been able to understand the logic of the Japanese suicide weapons. Even taking into account the "honourable death" thing it seems to use up far more resources than firing a tonne of regular ordinance.
According to the plaque they were highly innacurate too

that's assuming you have more industrial resources than men willing to die

I suppose to them it made more sense to give each pilot a lovely plane to happily fly into a target than to build complex, more advanced planes and have the pilots draw a lottery to determine who gets to fly it (and immediately shot down, because all their experienced pilots were already dead)

all of this, of course, could have been avoided if the japanese ministers and generals had realised how unrealistic winning a long term war against industrial and naval powers would be, given how sources of oil, ore, and rubber are separated by literal seas from the japanese mainland

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Yuck

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd
lol

inkjet_lakes
Feb 9, 2015

david_a posted:

To be fair, if it had been used for it's intended war role needing to land again would probably have been a moot point.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

Come on, it's even beautiful inside.

:pervert:

Really wish I'd gotten an arse shot.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Sanguine posted:

Same!

No, I know why I took photos, because there were lights and switches :v:

HOT JUGS :quagmire: Oh wait, apparently there are three, that's not hot :stare:

I just noticed I took a photo of a photo of someone using the astronav window:

For anyone who doesn't hate these planes and missed it earlier, the rest of my photos are here: http://imgur.com/a/SSCQ5

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Aww don't be sad. I don't hate it, it's just ugly to look at externally. She's beautiful on the inside if that's any constellation

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Buttcoin purse posted:

..oh. Why, though? Maybe they weren't controllable enough in their high speed terminal dive?

The plaque said they were released from carrier aircraft and glided to the target, activating their rocket motors at the last moment. The slow speed of the glide made them difficult to control

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

simplefish posted:

Aww don't be sad. I don't hate it, it's just ugly to look at externally. She's beautiful on the inside if that's any constellation

Your can't make up for your bad opinions with a bad pun.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Buttcoin purse posted:

The large amount of regular ordnance might have all missed, though, whereas you might have thought this would be extremely accurate, what with the human guiding it in all the way..

This weekend I happened to see some videos about the Ohka in TV and they mentioned that 14% of them hit. That's not a good number, but as far as WW2 era bombs go they were probably highly accurate. And since I believe the japanese didn't have guided bombs unlike the germans I can't think of any other way they could have attempted anti-ship strikes in practice. Even if it was wasted effort overall.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Excellent. (I really have to finish part three...)

Also, I have no idea what a charabanc is

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Nebakenezzer posted:

Tt's a "cart with benches". The ancestor of the autobus.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charabanc

Cat Mattress fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Oct 4, 2015

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Nebakenezzer posted:

"Tour bus" would be the best modern fit.

McDeth
Jan 12, 2005
Holy poo poo, how?

http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/20...flow%3Afacebook

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

I'd guess heart attack or brain aneurysm, based on the fact that the major airline captain population has a large percentage of overweight older guys (for the heart attack), and brain aneurysms are one of the things that an FAA medical screening probably isn't going to catch, and that leads to a pretty rapid death if the aneurysm ruptures.

Also, brilliant username/post combo.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

Why do you think we know?

Only took .3 seconds for somebody to proclaim to the public that Medicals aren't safe enough and we need more oversight. Brilliant work.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Captain Apollo posted:

Why do you think we know?

Only took .3 seconds for somebody to proclaim to the public that Medicals aren't safe enough and we need more oversight. Brilliant work.

We need a Class AAA medical, and more regulations in Part 121, so that you cant start the engines unless the Captain and F/O are plugged into an EKG, and have their catheters inserted.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, there are all kinds of hidden conditions and even random events that can make you shuffle off the mortal coil with little to no warning. That's why there are two pilots.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Sanguine posted:

why wouldn't you?

here's the most important part of Concorde:

Concorde 05 by notpsion, on Flickr

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

McDeth posted:

Holy poo poo, how?

Heart attack apparently, guy had a double bypass a couple years back but was passing physicals fine.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Party Plane Jones posted:

Heart attack apparently, guy had a double bypass a couple years back but was passing physicals fine.

Wow. You'd think that having a heart bypass at all would disqualify you. It's not a fix, it's a way to tack a few extra years onto your life.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

EightBit posted:

Wow. You'd think that having a heart bypass at all would disqualify you. It's not a fix, it's a way to tack a few extra years onto your life.

If they cared about that at all the blood pressure limit for a class I wouldn't be 155/95

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

EightBit posted:

The buypass was in 2006, so 9 years! According to the news, he was required to get physical's every 6 months to keep flying.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

That's quite a bit of Swede, there.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

EightBit posted:

I think you can make the same argument about every medical procedure ever - nothing fixes death. :v:

It's all about what level of risk you're willing to accept. I feel like nine years (well, 8.5) of passing physicals every six months shows they were taking it seriously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

If the one in the back is called the Tunnan, is the one in front of it called the "hockey goalie" in Swedish?