Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Have they said when the arena thing is coming out? I haven't played ED in a month or two but am looking forward to trying that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

hakimashou posted:

Have they said when the arena thing is coming out? I haven't played ED in a month or two but am looking forward to trying that.

You can play it right now after you download it from the launcher

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

frank.club posted:

You can play it right now after you download it from the launcher

is it in a beta thing though or actually live on the game?

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

hakimashou posted:

is it in a beta thing though or actually live on the game?

Beta

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
I blew out the thrusters of a dude who was boosting and he went flying off into the distance, but boosting speed didn't drop off and I couldn't catch him

This is bullshit :(

Sostratos
Jun 28, 2004

hakimashou posted:

1.4 goes live this Tuesday.

Kryopsis
Jun 30, 2012

Shapes and colours the likes of which I've never seen!
Out of all the ships best suited for combat, which one has the longest jump range? Imperial Eagle?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Adult Sword Owner posted:

I blew out the thrusters of a dude who was boosting and he went flying off into the distance, but boosting speed didn't drop off and I couldn't catch him

This is bullshit :(

The boosting speed didn't drop because there's no drag in space to slow them down, so without thrusters they were stuck sailing away in one direction forever.

Arach
Oct 3, 2003

Dive! Dive! Di... are you diving yet?
Grimey Drawer

Kryopsis posted:

Out of all the ships best suited for combat, which one has the longest jump range? Imperial Eagle?

Depends on the Price range we're talking about. If we're taking Sub 1 million ship class, Cobra or or Diamondback Scout would be the way to go, but expect the 4A FSD to run about 1.4 million alone, but they can still put up a fight.

Kryopsis
Jun 30, 2012

Shapes and colours the likes of which I've never seen!
Thanks, I replaced my Viper with a Cobra and it's definitely an upgrade.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Gestalt Intellect posted:

The boosting speed didn't drop because there's no drag in space to slow them down, so without thrusters they were stuck sailing away in one direction forever.

Vipers will do this to you constantly.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

hakimashou posted:

Its in open beta right now, you can select it from the launcher. I gotta say its a pretty sweet and different experience so far.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

If I hit the boosters and then cut power to my thrusters will I coast forever?

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Typical Pubbie posted:

If I hit the boosters and then cut power to my thrusters will I coast forever?

You have to turn flight assist off, also you will slow down to your max speed without boost unless your thrusters get destroyed.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

A pretty nice voyage to the core and back.

https://imgur.com/a/GdPkw/

Some very beautiful screenshots inside that album. Here are a couple.

GEMfx settings
http://1drv.ms/1Joh64d

Just extract to the folder with EliteDangerous32.exe in it and hope for the best.

Dante80 fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Oct 4, 2015

Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.
For the life of me, I can't get SweetFX working - it's been placed in the proper directory, and I've disabled in-game AA and I've been changing values up and down in the settings, but there's no visual change at all, even when I choose drastic settings like Monochrome Mode or the Toon shader. From what I can Google up, it looks like SweetFX in particular has problems with Windows 8.

*edit* After Googling some more, I've found the issue may be that either Windows 10 or my current NVidia driver may not be happy with some of the .dll's included with SweetFX or GemFX (the same two .dll's, in fact). Ah well. no GemFX for me. :(

*edit* What eventually DID work, however, was ReShade, which combines all the features of both SweetFX and GemFX, so I'm fooling around with different settings now. So pretty.

Zaardvark fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Oct 4, 2015

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Been on a little space exploration while waiting for 1.4 to drop, currently in the volpecula dark region. Pretty underwhelming so far, I only found a couple gas giant with water based life. I don't want to stray too far because I would like to get back for 1.4, is there something of note in the neighborhood?

TEAH SYAG
Oct 2, 2009

by Lowtax
Changelog for ELITE CQC 1.4

* Things were added to game. Ship thing and mabye more rocks

* PEW-PEW other live space mans for space bucks

* Some text was changed in a unused ini file

* Bleakness, bitterness and disgust generation levels regarding player content were adjusted

TEAH SYAG fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Oct 4, 2015

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

I mean I understand that, but when you boost with FA off you still slow down.

You also don't gain velocity from constant thrust which I'm pretty sure violates a law

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

You also don't gain velocity from constant thrust which I'm pretty sure violates a law

The game takes liberties with physics in order to make combat fun instead of really weird. I assume the "broken thruster while boosting = infinite boost speed" is a bug.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Didn't used to, but people were sticking full pips to engines, boosting to top speed, then flipping around with FA off and sniping at chasing ships... oh and they could put full pips to weapons after the flip without slowing down too, just to add insult to injury. Because there's a "top speed", the chasing ships couldn't really catch them. It was loving retarded and nearly everyone was doing it in the end.

So now you slow down after boost wears off, even in FA off.

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Oct 4, 2015

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

tooterfish posted:

Didn't used to, but people were sticking full pips to engines, boosting to top speed, then flipping around with FA off and sniping at chasing ships... oh and they could put full pips to weapons after the flip without slowing down too, just to add insult to injury. Because there's a "top speed", the chasing ships couldn't really catch them. It was loving retarded and nearly everyone was doing it in the end.

So now you slow down after boost wears off, even in FA off.

There's also a speed penalty when your nose isn't aligned with your movement vector to further punish people people that try to max-speed away while pointing backwards.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

That is a good thing.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

My previous go to spacegame was Evochron and it had no restrictions, you could accelerate as much as you want in any direction and keep adding to your velocity. Combats usually became jousts with ships speeding by at several km/s trying to land as many hits as possible as they streak past each other.

I prefer it the way ED does it. Sacrifice realistic physics for more enjoyable combat.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
If there was any needed, CQC has provided the proof that they were right with that approach. If there's one thing ED has it's fantastic combat.

Mr Darcy
Feb 8, 2006
Any suggestions for powerplay PvE vulture loadouts?

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

It doesn't really have the powerplant wiggle room for anything fancy, just stick a couple of big gently caress off lasers on it and call it done.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Mr Darcy posted:

Two pulses will fire basically nonstop with 3 pips. Melt everything.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Shine posted:

Two pulses will fire basically nonstop with 3 pips. Melt everything.
And if the constant pew-pew sound gets a bit too annoying, you can swap out one of the Pulse Lasers with a (fixed) Cannon, although that will only be useful once a target's shields are down.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Shine posted:

The game takes liberties with physics in order to make combat fun instead of really weird. I assume the "broken thruster while boosting = infinite boost speed" is a bug.

I mean that makes total sense but that rear end in a top hat got away and that makes me VERY UPSET

I should at least be able to keep that boosted speed after a boost in FA off

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

I mean that makes total sense but that rear end in a top hat got away and that makes me VERY UPSET

I should at least be able to keep that boosted speed after a boost in FA off

You can eventually catch up with them but it'll take a while for their velocity to bleed off. Also if it's a military ship in a combat zone you will probably fly outside of the engagement area so you'll get a bounty on you for killing them!

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Dante80 posted:

A pretty nice voyage to the core and back.
I'm not a huge fan of how bloomy GEMfx makes everything, but drat if I don't get jealous of people's pretty screenshots sometimes.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

I feel that lasers in CQC makes it all too easy as the only way to avoid damage is ECM or putting something between you and the shooter. You often can't speed away fast enough to get out of the danger zone so if you get caught you're boned. Having weapons with projectile speed and thus opening up the use of "summadat pilot poo poo" would be a major improvement.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
For anyone that cares I went and set up a shoutcast stream for the radio station I had going on radionomy. They started inserting real commercials into the station and that's lame as all hell. No commercials here.

https://cp8.shoutcheap.com:2199/start/shazbotsyndicate/

Deathreaper
Mar 27, 2010

Mr Darcy posted:

Had a lot of fun with 2 gimbaled class 3 laser beams. Bound each one to different firing buttons so you don't burnout energy too quickly (it's actually more efficient to only shoot one at a time). Can easily melt a smaller ship with both active and full weapons pips.

On another topic, I connected my PS4 controller to my HTPC and can say that everything short of PVP works very well on this setup. Don't actually really need the keyboard and mouse 99% of the time. A lot more comfortable to relax on the couch and shoot up some big ships in a RES with the PS4 controller than fully engaged with a HOTAS!

Deathreaper fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Oct 5, 2015

Robzilla
Jul 28, 2003

READ IT AND WEEP JEWBOY!
Fun Shoe

KakerMix posted:

For anyone that cares I went and set up a shoutcast stream for the radio station I had going on radionomy. They started inserting real commercials into the station and that's lame as all hell. No commercials here.

https://cp8.shoutcheap.com:2199/start/shazbotsyndicate/

gently caress yeah. I started your stream up, heard a commercial and was all "dafuq this poo poo?!"

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Xerxes17 posted:

I feel that lasers in CQC makes it all too easy as the only way to avoid damage is ECM or putting something between you and the shooter. You often can't speed away fast enough to get out of the danger zone so if you get caught you're boned. Having weapons with projectile speed and thus opening up the use of "summadat pilot poo poo" would be a major improvement.

Another option to lose a tail is to flip around with FA-off, and boost back toward them. While it's easy to get caught with your pants down, there are still some opportunities to open up "summadat pilot poo poo".

The plasma gun the Condor unlocks fires relatively slow projectiles and is really good at dishing out damage at close range. It's hard to hit with at longer ranges unless the target is flying in a straight line, but if you can get someone with dual lasers to fly straight at you or doing passes, you're going to wreck their poo poo with it. I like using one plasma gun + one pulse laser for range and plinking at targets running away. An upside with this configuration is that it doesn't run out of energy like dual lasers does.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Xerxes17 posted:

I think the downside of lasers in CQC is supposed to be the fact that you can just spec your shields and armor against them, but it's not effective enough to make up for instant hit and really forgiving gimballing.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Is CQC basically Melee from Star Control 2?

Is Horizons basically planet landings from Star Control 2?

What I'm asking is are Frontier stealth-mkaing a Star Control MMO?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Dabir posted:

Is CQC basically Melee from Star Control 2?

Is Horizons basically planet landings from Star Control 2?

What I'm asking is are Frontier stealth-mkaing a Star Control MMO?

Yes and the reactive spheres of influence are clearly Powerplay...

• Locked thread