Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ashtarath
Oct 11, 2012

Wow, Alien Resurrection is a game I remember playing alot when i was way younger. I never knew its name and never seen it mentioned before now, finally knowing it after all this time is bizarre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
The Layers of Fear video was interesting and this Alien game is too. I never knew there was a game based on that particular movie, probably since I never watched the Alien and AvP movies until about a year ago all in one shot. Alien was alright, Aliens was awesome, Alien 3 was "ehh", the AvP movies almost reach "so bad it's good" levels...

...but Alien Resurrection is one of the WORST pieces of poo poo I've ever seen. Completely killed the series and the character Ripley for me. A friend warned me not to see it and just skip it but the morbid curiosity was too strong.

I should have listened. WHY DIDN'T I LISTEN? :gonk:

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

The only part of Alien Resurrection that I remember was the end when the Alien Hybrid got sucked out of the spaceship through the tiny hole in the glass. That was pretty cool.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Charles Martel posted:

Alien was alright

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

It's me, I'm the terrible person that wants to see more Doggone Rumpus, just catching up on the last couple videos and enjoying the weird wreck.

"Wow, WOW, are you talking to the island nation of JAPAN Toko? Are you addressing NIPPON?!"

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
just realized in the new shistorm intro plague is being killed with a fence post

maybeflan
May 15, 2014

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Whoever made the intro for the Shitstorm deserves a loving round of applause too. It's so good.

That'd be lord-phillock.
He's done a couple of things for the Zaibatsu like Shattered Memories; Guacamelee; and No More Heroes.

Blockhouse posted:

just realized in the new shistorm intro plague is being killed with a fence post

Oh geez, I didn't realize he was in the intro.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

MrMcmuscles, you may want to turn off avatars if you care about Undertale spoilers

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
My first two alien movies were the 2nd half of Aliens and Alien Resurrection, so I had no idea it was supposed to be a horror franchise.

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

RareAcumen posted:

MrMcmuscles, you may want to turn off avatars if you care about Undertale spoilers

I'm pretty sure Matt already finished the game. He has a fancy new Twitter avatar so I'd guess he's pretty smitten with Undertale.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Rhonne posted:

The only part of Alien Resurrection that I remember was the end when the Alien Hybrid got sucked out of the spaceship through the tiny hole in the glass. That was pretty cool.

You know what the best part about that moment was besides the movie ending? The fact that Ripley, the heroine of the story that has been through unspeakable horrors surviving Alien attacks, feels sympathy for it because now she's a half-alien cyborg who had a dry-humping orgy with a nest of them earlier in the movie and the only reason Sigourney Weaver starred in it was because of an obscene amount of money offered to her at the time and ARGHHHH gently caress THAT MOVIE!

I agree. That's the same look I have whenever someone tells me the first movie is better than the second.

Props to Ridley Scott for kickstarting the series and for the old-school special effects it had, but James Cameron taking the helm for the sequel brought out the best in the series, in my opinion. It established Ripley as a badass, empowering, battle-hardened character, had Bill Paxton's famous quote, and showed the famous motion scanners for the first time. The action, story, and pacing was great.

And then the next two movies, especially Resurrection, took a giant poo poo all over that. I'm all for people liking what they like, but there's no defending that movie. Uwe Boll's Alone in the Dark is probably the worst movie I've ever seen and Resurrection gives that a strong run to shove it out of the way in the bottom of the shitheap.

Charles Martel fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Oct 3, 2015

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Alien vs Aliens comes down to whether you prefer horror or action, respectively. They're both great movies in their own right, but they're very different, more so than they usually get credit for.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea I love Alien way more but I really can't hate on someone who thinks action is more fun liking Aliens more. They're both excellent in their respective focuses, and I think the series as a whole is made stronger by having the two sides to it rather than one or the other. The first builds the fear and tension when dealing with the unknown in an inescapable situation, the second is the catharsis of going 'nah gently caress those things' and fighting back instead of hiding. It's the perfect series to marathon, really.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Not sure it's really catharsis if they die horribly and ineffectively anyway.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
True but the general feel of 'yea they're fighting back instead of hiding' was a decent bit of that, but yea, kinda dies out when...they die out.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Good lord, this latest MGS episode starts off a shitshow but then somehow Liam redeems himself. That stunt was silly as hell.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Why didn't Liam just fulton the person he tried to interrogate to get information that way?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

:effort:: Yo, yo, yo, bark with me if you are my dog

I wasn't expecting Pat to keep the song running that long, but I was pleasantly surprised.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
Undertale is quickly becoming one of my favorites LP's, especially since it seems so tailor made for Matt and Liam's senses of humor.

https://youtu.be/sHA4lVyPGtM

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
The world's best skeletons instantly win their hearts to absolutely no one's surprise.

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI
The characters are so likable that doing the all kill run is actually hard on your feelings

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Liam, why are you so fast to do the murders? :smith:

Belgian Waffle
Jul 31, 2006

Depths posted:

The characters are so likable that doing the all kill run is actually hard on your feelings
I completed that earlier today and it doesn't hold back at all on making you feel like a bad guy.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Dias posted:

Liam, why are you so fast to do the murders? :smith:

You can see him getting more reluctant to do a violence with every fight.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Liam gun-jumped the tagline of the game (The friendly RPG where nobody has to die) and just started assuming "well this enemy isn't immediately solved with a single ACT command and I have no idea what the difference between white and yellow are, guess you have literally no other choice but to kill it."

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

TriffTshngo posted:

Liam gun-jumped the tagline of the game (The friendly RPG where nobody has to die) and just started assuming "well this enemy isn't immediately solved with a single ACT command and I have no idea what the difference between white and yellow are, guess you have literally no other choice but to kill it."

Everybody makes mistakes the first time they play a new video game for the first time, it's fine.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Oxxidation posted:

You can see him getting more reluctant to do a violence with every fight.

Character progression!

And to be fair to the guys, if you missed the tagline or interpreted it in a non-literal way, you could easily be led to think "huh, I think I have no option but to FIGHT". Especially because the game outright tells you "sometimes enemies will get tired of fighting and then you can mercy them", which is another line that leads to much cow mom murdering :smith:

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI
In the first video they read out "oh when the names are yellow they can be spared" and they forgot it when they next encounter an enemy

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
sans and Papyrus are amazing, omg

Time to start playing Ruggington's Gift

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Baal posted:

sans and Papyrus are amazing, omg

Time to start playing Ruggington's Gift

go play the undertales already sheesh

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
shut up nerd, i'll play it

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

that gift contained the last of my energy

and now i fade away...

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

RareAcumen posted:

Everybody makes mistakes the first time they play a new video game for the first time, it's fine.

No I'm going to get super mad until they reset and play it the way I demand it be played, a- oh wait they already did that nevermind.

In all seriousness I get making those sorts of mistakes but Liam and Pat have a real bad habit of half-reading and misinterpreting or just making wild assumptions about story bits and game mechanics, so it makes for some funny reactions, both from viewers and them on later episodes/Friendcasts.

I do think it's for the best that they restarted though, this game really is about having a good time and nobody likes hanging out with filthy cold blooded murderers. Or Jerry.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

On a fundamental level, going for a pacifist run shows the most content with all that dialogue each monster has and their different attack patterns depending on the Act.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

TriffTshngo posted:

No I'm going to get super mad until they reset and play it the way I demand it be played, a- oh wait they already did that nevermind.

In all seriousness I get making those sorts of mistakes but Liam and Pat have a real bad habit of half-reading and misinterpreting or just making wild assumptions about story bits and game mechanics, so it makes for some funny reactions, both from viewers and them on later episodes/Friendcasts.

I do think it's for the best that they restarted though, this game really is about having a good time and nobody likes hanging out with filthy cold blooded murderers. Or Jerry.

No, that's super weak, they should've gone it completely dumb and making mistakes the whole way since that's what happens when you play a game blind.

There's always going to be a thing with reading problems in this group, it seems. Either it'll be misread, not read, overthought or just plain skipped.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

No, that's super weak, they should've gone it completely dumb and making mistakes the whole way since that's what happens when you play a game blind.

There's always going to be a thing with reading problems in this group, it seems. Either it'll be misread, not read, overthought or just plain skipped.

The issue with Undertale from an LP perspective is that there is a lot of content that's gated behind either the Pacifist or Genocide routes. The game itself even hints at it with the very first puzzle - "Only cowards walk the middle path."

It'd be easy for the viewers and the LP'ers to get fatigued if they got all the way to the end only for the game to hit a buzzer on them and tell them to do it once more with Feelings.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I beat Undertale recently and I'm wondering, is there gonna be a problem, recording wise, when the game force-quits itself multiple times at the end?

I also hope they don't stop when they get the neutral ending.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

sirtommygunn posted:

I beat Undertale recently and

I'm sure the Internet will do as the Internet does and tell them very loudly and repeatedly how to progress.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
it's fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I don't know what's more annoying, people telling the best friends what to do or people who won't shut the gently caress up about people telling them what to do. Yeah we get it, people telling them what to do should stop being jerks about it. Ok thanks for saying it again. Oh again really? Oh ok you're gonna say it one more time. Oh again huh.