Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Somebody point me to a state that bans driving with ADD or boating with ADD or operating heavy machinery (caterpillars)

Edit: for once I may be wrong.

Looks like trucking industry has gotten worse than airplanes. You can have add adhd but if you're on the medicine (stumulants) you may be in for a world of hurt.

I think this boils down to stimulant use than anything else, however.

Same thing for Allegra D ?

Captain Apollo fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Oct 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Actually. I'm not wrong. 3rd class medical is the drivers license equivalent for sport pilots and hopefully private GA airplanes right?

I personally think (in my world) you can have ADD and fly an airplane. Remember, they have to actually get in a cockpit sometime right? Shouldn't it be the CFI making the decisions on flight ability instead of the Feds?

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

One of the things I got corrected for a lot in training was fixating on a particular instrument, or the panel in general. You're supposed to divide your attention among things like visual traffic scan, instrument scan, radio work, getting wx info, getting nav info/pilotage, managing the engine and other systems, etc.

Seems kind of like an ADD paradise.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZydrXAq2pY

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012

Rickety Cricket posted:

I'm one of those kids, had to go through the special issuance route. The liberal diagnosis' of ADD is loving bullshit

Out of curiosity, what was the process for this like?

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

Animal posted:

Mesa rejected their TA by 86%; 80% participation.

80% participation? That's some tournament-level apathy right there. Do you have a quick review of the TA so I can render a snap judgment?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

fordan posted:

So the medical reform in the Pilot's Bill of Rights 2 has been watered down a fair bit. With the new language:

• Pilots would still need to get a 3rd class medical at least once and it needs to have been in the past 10 years.
  • Pilots would need to complete an online medical education course once every 2 years.
  • Pilots would need to see a personal physician once every 4 years, log it in their logbooks and provide the doctor’s name and address and the date of the exam when they take the online medical course.
  • Pilots who have had a heart condition involving surgery, mental, or neurological issues would be required to go through the special issuance process, but only once.

Which is great for the aging private pilot who wants to keep flying, less great for new potential pilots. Apparently this is what was needed to make ALPA happy.

If something heart/mental/neuro-related happens after the initial issuance, I'd assume they'd also be subject to the once-through-the-SI-process? My first two issuances were fine before the sleep apnea (resolved the hard way) and minor, resolved depression episode.

I think Sully's a shill a good bit of the time, but agree with him that the FAA's mental health processes & policies shouldn't be punitive (as was said when he visited the Senate over the Summer). I get they're trying to protect against people who may have visions of going out in a blaze of glory like the Germanwings F/O, but how many people out there with anxiety or depression are otherwise normal people who have no negative intent and just want to fly for fun and/or a career?

Speaking of Sully, what happened with the FAA Reauthorization that had to be approved by 9-30-15?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

CBJSprague24 posted:

I get they're trying to protect against people who may have visions of going out in a blaze of glory like the Germanwings F/O

Or EgyptAir 990, SilkAir 185, Royal Air Maroc 630, JAL 350, LAM Mozambique 470....

Or the guy that intentionally crashed his plane into the IRS office that one time.

To be honest, it's not an insignificant risk. I don't think the medical system should be punitive, but I would like to make very sure that anyone flying a plane is mentally fit to do so. I don't particularly care if someone is being treated for a mental illness if it's working, mind you.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

CBJSprague24 posted:

Speaking of Sully, what happened with the FAA Reauthorization that had to be approved by 9-30-15?

Congress passed and president signed a CR to fund the FAA through the end of March 2016. I think the government in whole is also funded through the end of December.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

PT6A posted:

Or EgyptAir 990, SilkAir 185, Royal Air Maroc 630, JAL 350, LAM Mozambique 470....

Or the guy that intentionally crashed his plane into the IRS office that one time.

To be honest, it's not an insignificant risk. I don't think the medical system should be punitive, but I would like to make very sure that anyone flying a plane is mentally fit to do so. I don't particularly care if someone is being treated for a mental illness if it's working, mind you.

There is 0% chance of being treated for a mental illness if you will be fired from your job for even hinting that you have one.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

hobbesmaster posted:

There is 0% chance of being treated for a mental illness if you will be fired from your job for even hinting that you have one.

I agree, I've never said the medical system as it exists is perfect.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous
https://vimeo.com/8511733

717 recovering from an inverted attitude due to wake turbulence encounter (planned, as part of flight test) incorrectly and losing 9000 feet in the process.

Argh....

E: the wake encounter was planned, not the inverted attitude...

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I find something emotionally moving in professionals calmly handling their poo poo.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005

Jealous Cow posted:

I find something emotionally moving in professionals calmly handling their poo poo.

Well no, these professionals grossly mishandled their poo poo though.

Repost of what I wrote about this on Facebook:

This video is horrifying to watch, and these guys are lucky to be alive.

As others have noted, (both on Vimeo and on here) the correct response would have been to roll the airplane to wings-level. The pilot here did the wrongest thing possible, which is to pull around through the bottom.

Because he did that, he lost 9000 feet, (you can see by counting the 500ft. marks on the PFD) gained too much speed (I assume he oversped the airplane; maybe someone more familiar with Boeing/Douglas aural alarms can say) and if he didn't over stress the airframe, it was still subjected to many more G's than it had to.

Though I can't blame him too much, since reflexively pulling back on the stick/yoke is the natural response to most sudden and/or scary situations (especially this one), if training pilots in acrobatics and upset recovery for years has taught me anything.

While developing the skill and reaction to do the right thing (and the fortitude to actually do it in the face of the overwhelming natural urge to do the wrong thing, after a split second presentation) takes a lot of rigorous training, that training was probably paid a box-checking lip service, as it is with most pilots. I have seen many of my students struggle with this situation after doing it over many repetitions over many flight, in actual airplanes, from the full range of attitudes. (I.e., much more meaningful training than a handful of times in a sim, from 60 degrees bank, every 6 months).

If they would have trouble after that type of training, unfortunately we have no reason to expect better from non-aerobaric trained pilots, and these are the results.

What's even more horrifying is that this was a presumably better-qualified crew than your average line pilot, seeing that they were assigned to an actual wake turbulence flight test program; so from them you would expect to see a better response. Therefore, either: a) someone assigned a random crew to conduct a test with an obvious risk of an unusual attitude, but without the qualification to be able to handle it, or b) the crew did have such a qualification (like a flight test background) but even that training was lacking for the situation that was faced.

Supersonic
Mar 28, 2008

You have used 43 of 300 characters allowed.
Tortured By Flan
Sadly a friend of mine passed away yesterday in a crash while doing survey work for a canal being built in Nicaragua. From what I've read on Nicaraguan news sites, the weather was clear that day and the plane was checked in the morning for any mechanical issues, so I have no idea what went wrong. I noticed in the article that "curiously, a deployed parachute was found among the wreckage" which I found odd because to my knowledge (as well as another friend who is also a pilot), parachutes aren't generally found in most cockpits, and flying low for survey work makes the likelihood of a successful deployment really low. Does anyone have any ideas on what may have happened here? He's leaving behind two young boys :(

Supersonic fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Oct 4, 2015

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice

vessbot posted:

717 recovering from an inverted attitude due to wake turbulence encounter (planned, as part of flight test) incorrectly and losing 9000 feet in the process.

Argh....

That's insane.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005

Supersonic posted:

Sadly a friend of mine passed away yesterday in a crash while doing survey work for a canal being built in Nicaragua. From what I've read on Nicaraguan news sites, the weather was clear that day and the plane was checked in the morning for any mechanical issues, so I have no idea what went wrong. I noticed in the article that "curiously, a deployed parachute was found among the wreckage" which I found odd because to my knowledge (as well as another friend who is also a pilot), parachutes aren't generally found in most cockpits, and flying low for survey work makes the likelihood of a successful deployment really low. Does anyone have any ideas on what may have happened here? He's leaving behind two young boys :(

Sorry for your personal loss. :( All I can say is that in some places (no idea if Nicaragua is one of them) it's common for parachutes to be worn in all GA flying instead of just for aerobatics.

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

I must be at the nexus of the universe!

Hauldren Collider posted:

Out of curiosity, what was the process for this like?

I went in for my first medical, I applied for 1st class since I'm career oriented and there's no point in going through all the training if I can't pass a 1st class. It was deferred there at the doctor's office because I had taken an ADD medicine in high school (I'd been off it for several years by this point). I'm not sure if my case was kicked all the way to Oklahoma City or just to the regional medical guy in NYC (named Michael Jordan, btw) - either way it was literally months between my AME visit and my first contact from the FAA. They sent a big packet detailing a number of tests I would have to go through, administered by a psychologist, to the tune of a couple thousand dollars. The guy who prescribed the ADD meds was able to recommend someone, I went to see her and did the tests over 2 days. I'll detail as many of the tests as I can remember:

- One involved a computer, where random letters would pop on the screen, and you had to click the mouse for every letter except X and Z (just for example). So letters would pop up: A (click) Q (click) F (click) H (click) (L) click and you'd get into this rhythm, click click click, and all of a sudden X would pop up and *click*. gently caress. Everytime that happened I could feel my medical slipping away.
- Another test involved her dictating some ridiculously detailed story ("Johnny is 6 ft 6 inches tall and woke up at 8:42 am on Wednesday morning, he went to the store and bought a small decaf coffee for $1.92 he then caught the 9:13 number 2 bus to his office in Finkle street where he works as a taxidermist on the 8th floor...") and then afterward she would ask me to recall as many details of the story as I could.
- Word association. She would say some word and I would have to say the first thing that popped into my head, or how it made me feel, something like that
- A 'puzzle' (like the picture except only a few rings, scattered throughout all 3 pillars) where you'd have to get all rings in order on one pillar in the smallest amount of moves
- A rorschach test, this one actually made me the most uncomfortable. Tell me this doesn't look like a vagina?
- A TON of 300 question multiple choice personality tests - those were unbearable

There's definitely some more tests I've probably blocked from my memory. The whole process was really stressful and completely unnecessary, cause I knew I was fine. She crunched numbers and data for about a week before preparing her report for the FAA saying she saw no signs of ADD. Her report was sent back to Dr. Michael Jordan in NYC and my special issuance came in the mail a few weeks later. Even though it was 1st class, the terms of the SI were that the medical was no good after 12 months, so rather than regress to a 2nd or 3rd class I had to go in for another exam, which went off without a hitch.

What sucked the most out of all this was that her office was right under the approach/departure path of DCA so every few minutes an airplane would roar past and I wanted to press my face to the window and yell
"AIRPLANE!! :downsbravo: " and I was afraid she would notice my eyes flicking to the window every so often and think "man this kid can't even focus on this conversation for 5 minutes"

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

Rickety Cricket posted:

I wanted to press my face to the window and yell "AIRPLANE!! :downsbravo: " and I was afraid she would notice my eyes flicking to the window every so often and think "man this kid can't even focus on this conversation for 5 minutes"

If this was all it took to lose your medical there would be literally no pilots left. Glad to hear it all worked out for you. Dealing with the train wreck of bureaucracy that is the FAA is a rough intro into the aviation world and I'm guessing there are a lot of people in your situation that would have just given up.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

Rickety Cricket posted:

I went in for my first medical, I applied for 1st class since I'm career oriented and there's no point in going through all the training if I can't pass a 1st class. It was deferred there at the doctor's office because I had taken an ADD medicine in high school (I'd been off it for several years by this point). I'm not sure if my case was kicked all the way to Oklahoma City or just to the regional medical guy in NYC (named Michael Jordan, btw) - either way it was literally months between my AME visit and my first contact from the FAA. They sent a big packet detailing a number of tests I would have to go through, administered by a psychologist, to the tune of a couple thousand dollars. The guy who prescribed the ADD meds was able to recommend someone, I went to see her and did the tests over 2 days. I'll detail as many of the tests as I can remember:

- One involved a computer, where random letters would pop on the screen, and you had to click the mouse for every letter except X and Z (just for example). So letters would pop up: A (click) Q (click) F (click) H (click) (L) click and you'd get into this rhythm, click click click, and all of a sudden X would pop up and *click*. gently caress. Everytime that happened I could feel my medical slipping away.
- Another test involved her dictating some ridiculously detailed story ("Johnny is 6 ft 6 inches tall and woke up at 8:42 am on Wednesday morning, he went to the store and bought a small decaf coffee for $1.92 he then caught the 9:13 number 2 bus to his office in Finkle street where he works as a taxidermist on the 8th floor...") and then afterward she would ask me to recall as many details of the story as I could.
- Word association. She would say some word and I would have to say the first thing that popped into my head, or how it made me feel, something like that
- A 'puzzle' (like the picture except only a few rings, scattered throughout all 3 pillars) where you'd have to get all rings in order on one pillar in the smallest amount of moves
- A rorschach test, this one actually made me the most uncomfortable. Tell me this doesn't look like a vagina?
- A TON of 300 question multiple choice personality tests - those were unbearable

There's definitely some more tests I've probably blocked from my memory. The whole process was really stressful and completely unnecessary, cause I knew I was fine. She crunched numbers and data for about a week before preparing her report for the FAA saying she saw no signs of ADD. Her report was sent back to Dr. Michael Jordan in NYC and my special issuance came in the mail a few weeks later. Even though it was 1st class, the terms of the SI were that the medical was no good after 12 months, so rather than regress to a 2nd or 3rd class I had to go in for another exam, which went off without a hitch.

What sucked the most out of all this was that her office was right under the approach/departure path of DCA so every few minutes an airplane would roar past and I wanted to press my face to the window and yell
"AIRPLANE!! :downsbravo: " and I was afraid she would notice my eyes flicking to the window every so often and think "man this kid can't even focus on this conversation for 5 minutes"

I forget what this test battery is but I went through the same thing after being knocked cold in a boxing match. It's terrible.

vessbot posted:

Argh....

So watching that, he immediately chops power and looks like he pulls flaps too. He didn't completely pull through the bottom but he got drat close. Either way, I've always learned roll level and pull to the nearest horizon. Not the farthest like he did haha

Bob A Feet fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Oct 4, 2015

hjp766
Sep 6, 2013
Dinosaur Gum

vessbot posted:

Argh....

Not having flown the 717 but having flown other jets.

The stall recovery is pretty much what I would do, we can sustain less lateral g than vertical g, so the remainder made sense.

Power all the way off, wings are levelled, pull to horizontal. Stay power off until a slow power application does not re-stall all the aircraft (it is weird, but yes, applying power on most jets puts you back into a worse stall).

When we deep stalled the 757 in the sim at 35000 feet full recovery was achievable at 8000ft. We had a controllable glider at 15000.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005

hjp766 posted:

Not having flown the 717 but having flown other jets.

The stall recovery is pretty much what I would do, we can sustain less lateral g than vertical g, so the remainder made sense.

Power all the way off, wings are levelled, pull to horizontal. Stay power off until a slow power application does not re-stall all the aircraft (it is weird, but yes, applying power on most jets puts you back into a worse stall).

When we deep stalled the 757 in the sim at 35000 feet full recovery was achievable at 8000ft. We had a controllable glider at 15000.

Lateral Gs are not created from coordinated rolling, so that is not a factor. They are created from rudder application and its resultant side slip. (Rolling while pulling a.k.a. asymmetrical G, however, is a huge factor in this situation and is to be avoided.)

Just to be clear, if you didn't watch the video carefully enough, after the initial upset the airplane was in an inverted roll attitude (upside down) with the pitch only slightly nose-down at 15 degrees below the horizon. Any source you find on the subject will say that the appropriate course of action from here is to roll the airplane to wings-level, and for good reason: to pull around the bottom is to lose tremendously more altitude than is necessary, gain too much speed (after a few more viewings, I can unsurprisingly hear an aural "overspeed" alarm) and, in turn, necessitate more G than necessary to pull out of the ensuing dive. If you think otherwise, then you really need to rethink this and I would highly recommend an unusual attitude recovery course (I actually would recommend this to everyone regardless of the situation).

You also correctly list "wings are levelled" as the first step besides the power reduction, so I think that you have some confusion over what you saw in the video, as that is not what happened: the nose dropped from 15 to about 50-60 degrees nearly straight down before a very half-hearted roll (the wrong way) was begun, and the lowest pitch attitude was 70 degrees nose-down.

The pilot also knew the right thing to do: the first thing out of his mouth after "stabilize, stabilize, stabilize" is "easy roll to the horizon" the nearest of which was to the left though. He probably remembered the initial left-rolling entry and, not entertaining the possibility he had gone 180 degrees, assumed he should return the way he came. Had he processed the information from the view outside, along with the artificial horizon, he would have recognized his attitude.

So all the signs point to a delay in recognition and response due to wide-eyed shock and its resultant reduction of the capacity to process information.

Every split second with the lift vector pointing at the ground is time spent making the situation worse.

Bob A Feet posted:

So watching that, he immediately chops power and looks like he pulls flaps too. He didn't completely pull through the bottom but he got drat close. Either way, I've always learned roll level and pull to the nearest horizon. Not the farthest like he did haha

He pulled the speed brake. Flaps are on the right of the throttles.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
Who was sitting right seat? This is exactly something CRM is meant to fix.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

The story of how Donald Trump tried to run an airline by offering high-class meal and alcohol services on 45 minute flights on exquisitely-detailed 727s with brass window exit handles, offered Trump Casino chips as "frequent flyer perks" to try to coax people to his Atlantic City properties, and insisted his 727s be flown by two-man crews to save money:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/10/04/the-crash-of-trump-air.html

hjp766
Sep 6, 2013
Dinosaur Gum

vessbot posted:

Lateral Gs are not created from coordinated rolling, so that is not a factor. They are created from rudder application and its resultant side slip. (Rolling while pulling a.k.a. asymmetrical G, however, is a huge factor in this situation and is to be avoided.)

Just to be clear, if you didn't watch the video carefully enough, after the initial upset the airplane was in an inverted roll attitude (upside down) with the pitch only slightly nose-down at 15 degrees below the horizon. Any source you find on the subject will say that the appropriate course of action from here is to roll the airplane to wings-level, and for good reason: to pull around the bottom is to lose tremendously more altitude than is necessary, gain too much speed (after a few more viewings, I can unsurprisingly hear an aural "overspeed" alarm) and, in turn, necessitate more G than necessary to pull out of the ensuing dive. If you think otherwise, then you really need to rethink this and I would highly recommend an unusual attitude recovery course (I actually would recommend this to everyone regardless of the situation).

You also correctly list "wings are levelled" as the first step besides the power reduction, so I think that you have some confusion over what you saw in the video, as that is not what happened: the nose dropped from 15 to about 50-60 degrees nearly straight down before a very half-hearted roll (the wrong way) was begun, and the lowest pitch attitude was 70 degrees nose-down.

The pilot also knew the right thing to do: the first thing out of his mouth after "stabilize, stabilize, stabilize" is "easy roll to the horizon" the nearest of which was to the left though. He probably remembered the initial left-rolling entry and, not entertaining the possibility he had gone 180 degrees, assumed he should return the way he came. Had he processed the information from the view outside, along with the artificial horizon, he would have recognized his attitude.

So all the signs point to a delay in recognition and response due to wide-eyed shock and its resultant reduction of the capacity to process information.

Every split second with the lift vector pointing at the ground is time spent making the situation worse.

He pulled the speed brake. Flaps are on the right of the throttles.

Now you make me wonder whether roll control on the 717 is also done using spoilers in the main. If so it may be why we have never tried rerolling (is that a word) as full stick application deploys full spoiler which could induce full stall and pitch down.

I must remember to ask to be shown the unusual attitude control law next time I'm in the sim to see what is actually possible. Electric jets are weird.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Dear Vessbot,

Make an effort post on babbys first aerobatic lessons in airplanes cause you have a ton of knowledge and I don't even know where to start with this stuff.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:
American Airlines pilot died of illness while flying from Phoenix to Boston.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/10/05/us/american-airlines-pilot-death/index.html

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Captain Apollo posted:

Dear Vessbot,

Make an effort post on babbys first aerobatic lessons in airplanes cause you have a ton of knowledge and I don't even know where to start with this stuff.

Yes please.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

dev null posted:

American Airlines pilot died of illness while flying from Phoenix to Boston.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/10/05/us/american-airlines-pilot-death/index.html

That sucks. I wonder how old he was, and if over 60, if it will forever vanish all ideas of extending to age 67. Also, if the FO got captains pay for the remainder of the flight.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
The French do not gently caress around with their labor negotiations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

overdesigned posted:

The French do not gently caress around with their labor negotiations.

Does everyone at KLM and Delta wake up every morning and ask themselves "Why are working Air France?"

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

I must be at the nexus of the universe!

Animal posted:

Also, if the FO got captains pay for the remainder of the flight.

The real questions

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
and did he remember to log PIC

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

The Slaughter posted:

and did he remember to log PIC

He's already at the majors so who cares!

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Animal posted:

That sucks. I wonder how old he was, and if over 60, if it will forever vanish all ideas of extending to age 67.

57 with a double bypass in his history.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/american-airlines-captain-who-died-flight-idd-57-year-old-n439066

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Latest news from New Zealand and AVweb:
http://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/news/Pilot-Faces-Jail-For-Rescue-Flight-224954-1.html

quote:

A helicopter pilot credited with saving the life of an injured hunter in New Zealand is facing a possible jail sentence because he did the flight with his license suspended for a suspected medical issue. Stuff.co reported Monday that police seized Dave Armstrong's logbooks after the flight in April of 2014 and now he's facing three charges relating to the incident. Scott Lee, the man who was rescued, is outraged. "He's done a heroic act in my eyes. If anything he deserves a medal for what he's done."

Lee fell and broke his femur in a remote area of New Zealand and another helicopter was initially called to drop rescuers and medical aid to him. But the first attempt was unsuccessful and low fuel forced the first helicopter back to base. Armstrong agreed to try and had another pilot with him but took the controls when the other pilot was unable to maneuver the R-44 into position to drop rescue personnel and a doctor. Aviation regulations in New Zealand allow pilots to breach regulations in life-or-death situations but it doesn't allow them to fly if they don't have a valid license. Armstrong faces up to a year in jail and $30,000 in fines for the incident. He will be in court next week

Sounds like the guy took another licensed pilot. How in the world would anybody be stupid enough to say that they relinquished controls entirely and let the other helicopter pilot manuever the R-44. Why can't the other guy say he was PIC the whole time.

This is really weird.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
That's the problem with lying. Sometimes you forget to do it.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Wow, what a lesson to be learned.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
It sounds like the problem is that... he logged it. Otherwise, the other guy was the PIC, I don't see how it's any different than letting a child take the controls for a second during a Young Eagles flight...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

http://savvystews.com/2015/10/delta-sues-regional-partner-republic-airways/

quote:

Dear Associates,

This morning we became aware of a complaint filed in Fulton County, GA by Delta Air Lines alleging that Republic was in breach of its contractual obligations under both Delta Connection Agreements (single class and dual class agreements). We issued a press release this morning stating the reality that we have not been served with any such complaint and therefore could not address any specifics being alleged by Delta and confirming our strong belief that Republic is not in breach of any of its Capacity Purchase Agreements with any of its mainline partners, including the aforementioned agreements with Delta.

We finally obtained a copy of the complaint and having now read it, I want to reiterate that we categorically reject Delta’s arguments and we will certainly make the truth clear in our legal response to their complaint. Delta is alleging that both Republic and Shuttle America breached the Agreements by failing to maintain adequate pilot staffing necessary to fulfill Delta’s flights. Delta is also alleging that they have incurred material direct damages, including lost profits on those flights. It’s difficult to imagine that one of the world’s largest airlines, that on October 2 again announced operating results on the favorable end of guidance, has been materially harmed by events Republic has openly worked to mitigate with them for approximately two years. Both Delta Connection Agreements contemplate circumstances where either or both parties may be unable to fully operate schedules and the Agreements spell out specifically and prescriptively what remedies are available to the affected parties. We have been performing within the terms of the Agreements and Delta’s allegations are unfounded.

It is hard to understand what Delta is trying to accomplish with their complaint, and it is certainly even more perplexing considering the cooperation we are receiving from our other airline partners. Perhaps Delta’s true motivations will become clear as the legal process unfolds. Meanwhile, Delta is still our customer and we ask you to continue to treat them and our passengers with the same level of professionalism and care as you have done in the past.

Given all the uncertainty we are dealing with, this legal dispute certainly isn’t helpful from someone we have supported as a valued partner for so many years. However, rest assured we will defend our organization against this meritless claim and will not allow it to distract us from our collective mission in serving the flying public. I appreciate all your patience and fortitude as we work through the challenges that will unfold over the next several weeks. Working together we will stabilize our operations and rebuild our airline to new heights in the future. Please continue to take good care of each other and our guests on board our aircraft.

Peace,

Bryan

AWSEFT fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Oct 8, 2015

• Locked thread