Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I think there are so many good rtf or artf kits with a real frame these days that there isn't a good excuse to buying the hobbyking kit anymore. you may need to research more to find uk local vendors, but I'd recommend one from armattan or mini quad bros.

There are also a lot of build lists out there if you want to venture out on your own and aseemble the kit yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

A Yolo Wizard posted:

I think there are so many good rtf or artf kits with a real frame these days that there isn't a good excuse to buying the hobbyking kit anymore. you may need to research more to find uk local vendors, but I'd recommend one from armattan or mini quad bros.

There are also a lot of build lists out there if you want to venture out on your own and aseemble the kit yourself.

Care to suggest some kits in a similar price range from the UK? Some links would be handy.

One of the things i liked about that kit was that most of the reviews said it was pretty indestructible.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Just saw this one on Flite Test, although it's their product, it does look pretty neat. You can get the whole kit or just a frame, in which case the shipping won't be too bad probably.

http://store.flitetest.com/versacopter-280-quad-frame-kit/

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

This one might not be the best available, but it's fairly solid if you're learning and has a pretty good price. It's the one I bought and it came together pretty well.

http://www.myrcmart.com/rcx-h250cf3k-fpv-quadcopter-3k-carbon-fiber-h2206-motor-hw-20a-esc-6045-kk-21-p-8401.html

It comes with a flight controller as well (you can pick CC3D since KK is .. KK). No battery though. The kit you linked has a tiny battery so I suspect you'd want to upgrade before too long anyway.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

DreadLlama posted:

That's the thing I keep coming back to. My interest in flight drones would be well-satisfied by a kite and a camera. But it's hard to get something as heavy as a camera aloft. I tried back in the 90's when disposable waterproof film cameras were a thing. They can't get off the ground. A kite big enough to float a camera would probably need like 6 people to launch.

As for DJI / NAZA , I will not use a thing that someone else can turn off without my permission.

Long poles are a hobby of mine. The best I can do is shimmying up a white pine. They drop their lower limbs regularly, unlike cedar species which retain dead branches and require underbrushing. White pines can grow to be more than 70 meters tall and are an ideal place to put a camera - if you never want to get higher than 80 meters. (And aren't terrified of climbing up trees like a normal, sane person).

Flight drones are the best way for looking at stuff.

Let's say my flight drone gets pretty good at staying on target due to a combination of gps and a mouse-based flow sensor. What kind of software would you need for an APM drone to communicate with an android (or other) phone about gps coordinates for "follow me" purposes?

I am not sure what the DJI/NAZA Backdoor Killswitch fear is coming from. They do have updates for the No Fly Zones around airports and a few other locations programed into the GPS, but nothing else that would cause you to be unable to fly as well as you can always get around it by flying in Manual Mode or just unplugging the GPS altogether.

Either way the only time so far that it will fight you to fly, are in places that nobody should be flying a drone in the first place.

Yet the news continues to come in at least once a week about some jerk doing exactly that. :argh:

Seriously though the Inspire 1 is probably one of the most impressive kits of tech for the price currently.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Slash posted:

Care to suggest some kits in a similar price range from the UK? Some links would be handy.

One of the things i liked about that kit was that most of the reviews said it was pretty indestructible.

I totally forgot about the versacopter being out now. Get that and their powerpack (I'd double check to see if it had the 5v stepdown included, they aren't clear on the store page, but it might be in the build video)

If not, get the myrcmart bundle. But really get the versacopter

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

When you have tubular arms like the versacopter, how do the motor mounts attach? Are they held in place with zipties or is there something more substantial going on there? I can't really make it out from the pictures.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Martytoof posted:

When you have tubular arms like the versacopter, how do the motor mounts attach? Are they held in place with zipties or is there something more substantial going on there? I can't really make it out from the pictures.

The mounts are plastic/dremlin/whatever and clamp onto the rods with bolts. They are tough to twist around the tube once tightened, but will rotate in a crash potentially saving a motor shaft, since that force has to go somewhere.

Does anybody have any information on that GR-18 Rx/Flight controller combo the Flite Test guys were talking about? Info is scarce but it seems like they are just plugging the Reciever directly to the ESC's... It just runs it's own OS, no cleanflight?

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Martytoof posted:

It's a sandwich with clamping blocks:

Honestly I'm not a fan of only using two screws to hold down the motor.

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

The mounts are plastic/dremlin/whatever and clamp onto the rods with bolts. They are tough to twist around the tube once tightened, but will rotate in a crash potentially saving a motor shaft, since that force has to go somewhere.

Delrin. A strong millable plastic that also has a very low coefficient of friction like Teflon. If they're clamping it hard enough to keep a carbon fiber tube from rotating, there's a good chance they're clamping it hard enough where that (the arms) become the point of failure during a crash. I haven't seen too many short-shaft motors bend in a crash. Usually the props and bearings are what fail. Also a lot of the miniquad motors either use threaded prop adapters or have a threaded prop mount on the bell, not actually the motor shaft itself.

CrazyLittle fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Oct 2, 2015

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
they explain it in detail on their videos. Having a mount possibly twist a little instead of damaging a motor for a beginner is pretty good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWqnjDRubrs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7heiGpzAIjg

That graupner flight controller / receiver is pretty cool too.

edit: for fpv, get a camera (hs1177 from surveilzone would be my go to, the RunCam 600tvl 5-17v from securitycamera2000 should be the same), and the FX799T is a fine vtx you can get with support for raceband, and has 25, 200 and 600mw versions.

Turnigy 9x good if you put the effort into modding and updating the firmware with opentx; otherwise I'd get the 9xr pro to do it easier (note: you'll have to get a transmitter module and receiver separate with the 9xr pro). Those graupners they have at flite test don't look too bad either, especially if you go for the fc/receiver module.

Those goggles are a big investment for a first build. I linked earlier in the thread hobbyking stuff for their quanum v2 goggles. I preordered a headplay hd set of goggles in early september, mostly because they said they'd start shipping mid september. they just told me mine wont be sent out til the tenth though. LAME

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Oct 2, 2015

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Eh, if my drone can't keep straight in autolevel, the attitude P is way too low, right? The inner loop PIDs don't do much, except oscillate when I crank them up.

Also, turns out these silly higher capacity MultiStar batteries are useless for this bigger drone, they drop voltage enough to make my warner go off 10-15 seconds after I start flight.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

Does anybody have any information on that GR-18 Rx/Flight controller combo the Flite Test guys were talking about? Info is scarce but it seems like they are just plugging the Reciever directly to the ESC's... It just runs it's own OS, no cleanflight?
Yes, directly into the reciever. PID tuning is done on the controller. No cleanflight.

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

Slash posted:

So i think i want to get into this hobby, and i'm particularly interested in FPV Mini-Quad flying. Please critique my plan:

I currently have a Hubsan X4 107C, which I'm learning to fly with and to gauge my ongoing interest, all good so far...

Next Stage is to purchase and build this kit from HobbyKing:
- HobbyKing_Spec_FPV250 - £72.59

Extra parts required to finish this kit are a Flight Controller, and a transmitter.
- AfroFlight Naze32 Acro - £16.49
- Turnigy 9X - £39.59

At this point i should have built a nice working 250 quadcopter, learning as i go along on how to build and tune it etc...

Final stage of the plan would be to add the FPV gear. For which i'm thinking of getting this:
- Fatshark Attitude V2 - £197.34 (This comes with a camera and video transmitter)

I think this overall plan should give me good overall knowledge on quads, and a mid spec fpv-quad, for not too much cost. The kit would be upgradeable over the long term if i decide to take the hobby any further. Any parts I've missed, or anything else stupid with my plan?

If you're in the UK you might want to take a look at https://www.rclife.co.uk and http://www.unmannedtechshop.co.uk/

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
Generally speaking, are larger diameter props on equally larger motors more efficient in terms of battery life / flight time than an equivalent amount of lifting capacity from smaller props spinning faster?

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

DreadLlama posted:

Generally speaking, are larger diameter props on equally larger motors more efficient in terms of battery life / flight time than an equivalent amount of lifting capacity from smaller props spinning faster?

Larger props are more efficient. You get more lift for a given amount of input power from a bigger prop.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Nerobro posted:

Larger props are more efficient. You get more lift for a given amount of input power from a bigger prop.

Nah man just add more tiny props :downs: tiny props everywhere

The arms are all the same geometry, no printing different length back arms, mid arms and front arms, so I can bang a bunch if spares out at once. The arms connect to the main frame using a V shaped channel leaving zero wiggle to the arms. Pretty proud of that. I'm using a flip32 board for the brain an a weird loving PDB that has mounting holes at 35x35mm and 45x45mm, not 30.5x30.5mm. What wierdo loving FC uses this pitch? APM? I had to print a custom mount to attach the FC to the PDB but no big deal.

I thought I'd have the entire thing wired this weekend but after seeing all the wires a hex has I decided to just take my time and do a few ESC's a day. What a hastle for something that I am positive will break on it's maiden flight.

If I have all my motor signals taken up going to my ESC's, can I still use those programmable WS2818 LEDs? I'm not sure if the smart LEDs are run from the PWM receiver pins or from the motor signal pins? I am using a Spektrum Satellite and are not using any of the receiver PWM pins.

VVVEDIT: m3 bolts for all my frame parts, so you can go on Amazon/Ebay and get an assorted length m3 screw/bolt set. 5mm to 30mm and everything in between. As many different lengths as you can get in one kit for a decent price. Also another kit of m3 nylon spacers. Maybe buy 2+ kits at a time, you go through them quick.

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Oct 5, 2015

nerox
May 20, 2001
All you guys printing your own frames, where do you buy your screws/nuts/etc? I want to find a place to just buy a big assortment of hardware so anytime i need a screw a certain length or whatnot I already have one.

Takkaryx
Oct 17, 2007

Bunnies (very useful) Scientific Facts: Bunnies never close doors
If you want nylon screws/nuts/spacers/what have you, hobby king sells a bunch of different kinds. If you want metal, hobby king or a well stocked hardware store.

porksmash
Sep 30, 2008
http://www.mrmetric.com/ is nice for metric stuff, everything else I just go to the hardware store.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

McMaster Carr also has everything you could ever want.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

nerox posted:

All you guys printing your own frames, where do you buy your screws/nuts/etc? I want to find a place to just buy a big assortment of hardware so anytime i need a screw a certain length or whatnot I already have one.
I swear, when I designed my first custom frame, I figured "Uh, M3 screws and nuts, you surely find that at your local hardware store..." and merrily designed it with tons of M3 all over the place. When it came to shopping, it was more like nuh-uh. I ended up buying that poo poo in the hundreds on Ebay for a few Euros, because you don't find the in the shops.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Oct 5, 2015

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

I'm using a flip32 board for the brain an a weird loving PDB that has mounting holes at 35x35mm and 45x45mm, not 30.5x30.5mm. What wierdo loving FC uses this pitch? APM? I had to print a custom mount to attach the FC to the PDB but no big deal.

Where'd you get your PDB? Did you pick it up off eBay? I only ask because it looks like the same 12v/5v PDB I picked up that has zero labelling.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Martytoof posted:

Where'd you get your PDB? Did you pick it up off eBay? I only ask because it looks like the same 12v/5v PDB I picked up that has zero labelling.

I just had it sitting around because it was too large, I forget where I bought it. If you zoom in to the first pic in full you can actually read where it says "12v" at the front. The other regulator at the back has a little pot you can adjust with a screwdriver - it is variable so you can set it to 5v, 7v, 9v, etc. the variable one isn't labelled.

My board is fully labelled otherwise. + and - on the big main pads, and little (barely legible) + and - at the regulators.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Hmm, mine might be a knockoff then.

Gosh, a knockoff off eBay, I'm stunned :(

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Seems to be this one:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__55556__Quanum_Power_Distribution_Board_and_Dual_UBEC_In_One.html

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

That's almost it, except the one I am using as the outer mounting holes at 45x45, as well as a second set that sort of covers up a bit of the solder pads at 35x35

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Ok yeah, mine's definitely an eBay knockoff for like 1/4 the price :v:

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane
I bought an assortment of metric hardware from https://www.microfasteners.com/

I can actually get metric hardware at the local stores but it was nice to just get a set.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I bought a ton of screws and fasteners off eBay but I'm starting to think that buying local-ish and paying for shipping is infinitely better than waiting 30-40 days to work on a project because you're waiting for cheap screws from China.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I always sort by closest on ebay now

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

A Yolo Wizard posted:

I always sort by closest on ebay now

I always chose "in north america", as that gets shipping times under a week.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

A Yolo Wizard posted:

I totally forgot about the versacopter being out now. Get that and their powerpack (I'd double check to see if it had the 5v stepdown included, they aren't clear on the store page, but it might be in the build video)

If not, get the myrcmart bundle. But really get the versacopter

Yep new plan is now to get the Versacopter from flite test http://store.flitetest.com/versacopter-280-quad-frame-kit/
With "Power Pack E (Racing Mini Quadcopter)".

I'll still need a Flight Controller, Reciever and a Radio/Transimtter. They recommend the Graupner GR-18 (http://store.flitetest.com/graupner-gr-18-9-channel-2-4ghz-receiver/) which has an integrated FC/Reciever/Telemetry. Is this worth it? Or should i go for a naze32 and a separate receiver module?

It's all a bit of a minefield when you're starting from scratch!

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Slash posted:

Yep new plan is now to get the Versacopter from flite test http://store.flitetest.com/versacopter-280-quad-frame-kit/
With "Power Pack E (Racing Mini Quadcopter)".

I'll still need a Flight Controller, Reciever and a Radio/Transimtter. They recommend the Graupner GR-18 (http://store.flitetest.com/graupner-gr-18-9-channel-2-4ghz-receiver/) which has an integrated FC/Reciever/Telemetry. Is this worth it? Or should i go for a naze32 and a separate receiver module?

It's all a bit of a minefield when you're starting from scratch!

I would wait a week right now, because they are going to put up a version with some delrin pieces replaced by g10. other than that, both options for tx/rx seem fine. it looks like the mz-12 and gr-18 bundle will be $200 when it comes out - the naze32 acro, a taranis x9d and a receiver like the d4r would probably be closer to $300 (though you are getting a technically more capable radio there, and you'd have the 2nd receiver bundled with the transmitter)

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

A Yolo Wizard posted:

I would wait a week right now, because they are going to put up a version with some delrin pieces replaced by g10. other than that, both options for tx/rx seem fine. it looks like the mz-12 and gr-18 bundle will be $200 when it comes out - the naze32 acro, a taranis x9d and a receiver like the d4r would probably be closer to $300 (though you are getting a technically more capable radio there, and you'd have the 2nd receiver bundled with the transmitter)

Cool, i can hold off for a bit. Where did you get this information from?

To be honest for the radio I'm leaning towards just getting a Taranis x9d + d4r package, which i can get for about £170 and add in a naze32 FC. Will have to see how much room there is in the budget. Are there any advantages/disadvantages to the various naze32 boards?

porksmash
Sep 30, 2008
Usually the only difference is between the acro and full board. Full board has a barometric sensor for altitude and a magnetometer for compass heading, that's it. If you want to do anything with GPS you need the magnetometer.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Might as well get the full version then I guess.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Slash posted:

Cool, i can hold off for a bit. Where did you get this information from?

To be honest for the radio I'm leaning towards just getting a Taranis x9d + d4r package, which i can get for about £170 and add in a naze32 FC. Will have to see how much room there is in the budget. Are there any advantages/disadvantages to the various naze32 boards?

https://www.reddit.com/r/Multicopter/comments/3nl2e3/flite_test_versacopter_replacement_parts_on_the/

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

That link is concerning, perhaps i won't get the frame after all. It seems that it has some design faults.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Its really just their weird undying love of delrin. They make quality stuff in general, and I would have bought either version by now if I had the need for another frame

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

A Yolo Wizard posted:

Its really just their weird undying love of delrin. They make quality stuff in general, and I would have bought either version by now if I had the need for another frame

They do their production on in-house laser cutters. Derlin is one of the engineering plastics that's laser friendly. The alternative is acrylic.. and you don't want that.

I really don't understand the complaint. The motor clamps are strong enough to not move under normal flight. If they move in a crash, you've disapated energy that would otherwise have gone to motor shafts, or the main body looking for another escape.

If you're really bent out of shape about it, there's friction grease used for carbon fiber handlebars on bicycles, that does something like give 50% more stiction to any joint, and you can use that to help stop the motor mounts from pivoting on impact.

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/p...cB&gclsrc=aw.ds