Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

NoWake posted:

The entire division was just a week or so past working 365 days safe when something like this happened, resulted in a broken leg for the man on the torch and division-wide re-training on how to use a Palfinger boom.

There are stupider ways to cut through something.

From the OHSA thread:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McDeth
Jan 12, 2005

Gorilla Salad posted:

There are stupider ways to cut through something.

From the OHSA thread:

Oh my god...the way that torch just dangles there, lmao

homebrew
Mar 13, 2007

Needs more (safer) beer.

BrokenKnucklez posted:

http://www.baycrossings.com/Archives/2004/05_June/the_great_union_pacific_railroad_meltdown.htm

This is the basics.

Long story short, UP said gently caress you we will do what we want.... And the melt down ensued.

Holy poo poo.

Has any work been done to improve the redundancy of the network since?
How vulnerable to this sort of incident are the other Class 1's?
I take it that this disaster brought about the halt of the mergers in the US?

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Not really. When one part of the system has a meltdown there's other areas that quickly follow. Chicago had a small meltdown last week and it spread about 300 miles away with trains getting backed up.

Freight railroads do as little as possible to invest in their system. Yes they claim all this money is getting spent, but its mostly to keep poo poo going rather than build new tracks. I know the UP is building a yard in Texas because the system is so broken down there it takes about 3 days to get a box car from San Antonio to Houston.

I was told the other day by the track guys they were to get no over time because stock price dictates no over time....

Tldr: gently caress you that's why.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners
i don't get the network view like a dispatcher/dto would but i know from experience that when chicago or north baltimore is hosed, I am hosed. likewise, when atlanta or nj is hosed, i will be hosed shortly after chicago/north baltimore gets hosed.

everything in intermodal is interconnected. the cars off of train x turn for train y. the crew off of train x turns for train z. the power turns for train b. if train z, train b or train y departs chicago an hour late, it misses its window through chicago, north baltimore and cleveland or cumberland or wherever. transportation doesn't help the situation by refusing to make yard moves, eating up ramp space with garbage trains or refusing to kick out foreign cars to go home empty.

homebrew posted:

Holy poo poo.

Has any work been done to improve the redundancy of the network since?
How vulnerable to this sort of incident are the other Class 1's?
I take it that this disaster brought about the halt of the mergers in the US?

the issue wasn't redundancy or a lack thereof. the issue was congestion. when your yards are plugged, everything moves slowly. when trains move slowly, you need more of everything(labor, power, cars, yard capacity) to run trains.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

It's written by Garey Busey, so the last chapter's probably about how to tie them to full-scale train tracks when they rebuke your advances.

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
No chapter on reading signals?

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012
In a book for foamers? Signal Passed at Danger, every time.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
I know what a Big Boy is, what is a DXT?

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
My guess would be some sort of Kiwirail locomotive. They have weird names like that, and are narrow gauge.

Edit: I am guessing that they meant DXB.

jadebullet fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Sep 29, 2015

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Obey your signals!
http://i.imgur.com/yjT8LJR.webm

What, no, poo poo, bad train! BAD TRAIN!

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

EoRaptor posted:

Obey your signals!
http://i.imgur.com/yjT8LJR.webm

What, no, poo poo, bad train! BAD TRAIN!

:stonk:

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
So in the aftermath of railroads alluding to shutting down over PTC implementation, it looks like the railroads may be getting a break.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-congress-positive-train-control-met-20150930-story.html

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
What do US rail use nowadays? Here in glorious sweden we're still stuck on https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automatic_train_control#Sweden ATC-2 (with alot of additional poo poo), ERTMS is scheduled to be rolled out in 10 yearshahahahaa.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
My portion of the world uses CNW's ATC (automatic train control) its simple but effective. Its a two aspect cab signal with proceed and restricting. Clear cab allows 72 max mph, but once you get a restricting cab, and you are under 40 mph, you need to get your train under 23 mph with in 90 seconds or its a penalty brake application (stopping, recover air, proceed at 17 mph). If you are over 40 mph and get a restricting cab signal, its a penalty brake, bring your train to a stop and proceed at 17mph.

It alerts you ever 90 seconds to acknowledge the restricting cab or it takes your air.

Its simple as hell but very safe. Been in use since the 1940s and we have had zilch for rear enders or collisions.

If this was installed every where, collisions could easily be avoided or if there was, it would be very minimal due to being low speed.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
Your head would probably explode if you took a ride here. We use an automatic block system where speed/stops are presignaled through the cab ATC display.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
We have a crude form of it, and its hilariously awful. The people developing the program are doing a poo poo job - mostly because once its done, they are out of work.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
Ours works well most of the time, except for the some situations it obviously wasn't designed for. Like 30mph freight trains on the same line as high speed trains and even then it's usually dispatchers loving up since timetables can usually make up for it.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

gently caress. Any one got a link to a write up on what happened or a video? I'm hoping that was on purpose tonmake a demolition easier.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

HERAK posted:

gently caress. Any one got a link to a write up on what happened or a video? I'm hoping that was on purpose tonmake a demolition easier.

Sherwood, OR rail trestle. Apparently a grass fire began nearby and spread to the trestle.
http://www.oregonlive.com/sherwood/index.ssf/2015/08/burning_railroad_trestle_conti.html

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

I've never seen flaming giant domino's before. Seems like a pretty expensive game.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

BrokenKnucklez posted:

http://www.baycrossings.com/Archives/2004/05_June/the_great_union_pacific_railroad_meltdown.htm

This is the basics.

Long story short, UP said gently caress you we will do what we want.... And the melt down ensued.

I loving lived this. Hired out right in the middle of it in 1998.

Get on a train, sit there 12 hours, another crew comes they sit on it 12 hours, then another crew comes they sit on it for 12 hours. This goes on day in and day out for a couple days and the train doesn't move a single foot.

OK fuckers take a look at this
https://akronrrclub.wordpress.com/2015/09/25/railroads-warned-about-clandestine-tracking/

I can tell you this is not the only instance/incident.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

B4Ctom1 posted:

OK fuckers take a look at this
https://akronrrclub.wordpress.com/2015/09/25/railroads-warned-about-clandestine-tracking/

I can tell you this is not the only instance/incident.
Honestly I'm surprised that's seemingly being treated like it's a new or unexpected thing. Data nerds and companies looking to profit off the information have been running ADS-B (aircraft) or AIS (ships) receivers for a long time to track those beacons. Obviously this is a little bit different since AEI is basically a RFID type thing rather than a broadcast beacon sending out mostly through open air or over water, but this is '90s technology running in common frequency ranges so a transmit-capable SDR should be able to act as a reader rather easily. Sometimes more powerful RFID systems (of which I expect this is one) can be heard from a surprising distance away so it might only require getting near a legitimate reader with a receive-only SDR like the $20 TV sticks.

With how easy it seems like it should be on paper I'd be amazed to find out no crazy railfans have rigged up their own systems.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
This is hilarious, I can't believe the railroads would wring their hands over this. Just another example of them getting by using the oldest tech possible. It isn't like someone is intercepting and decrypting transmissions, it's just one step above posting someone at a crossing to write down the ID numbers they see as the cars roll past.

Hell, I once did this as a bored 10 year old, I wanted to see how long it would take to see the same car go by twice. I posted up at the crossing with a lawn chair and an umbrella for the sun, my dad soon found me out there though and put a stop to it.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Because investing in our company requires money, and we can't be bothered doing that. We are to busy treating our employees like 3rd world cattle, minimal repairs to equipment, track and locomotives, and paying out dividends to our share holders.

(Sorry for the negatively lately, shits been getting on my nerves at work)

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

It's a miracle! http://imgur.com/gallery/t0zUrGk

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

That seems like the kind of thing that would be accompanied by ominous Latin chanting.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

NoWake posted:

This is hilarious, I can't believe the railroads would wring their hands over this. Just another example of them getting by using the oldest tech possible. It isn't like someone is intercepting and decrypting transmissions, it's just one step above posting someone at a crossing to write down the ID numbers they see as the cars roll past.

Hell, I once did this as a bored 10 year old, I wanted to see how long it would take to see the same car go by twice. I posted up at the crossing with a lawn chair and an umbrella for the sun, my dad soon found me out there though and put a stop to it.

This happens all the loving time, I know dhl and schenker track their cargo by gps already.

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That seems like the kind of thing that would be accompanied by ominous Latin chanting.

Can you even get Cultist robes in hi-vis?

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

No Pun Intended posted:

Can you even get Cultist robes in hi-vis?

Kind of modify this?

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
It looks like the FRA is blaming a broken rail for that huge derailment and fire in WV in February. They say that inspectors missed the break on two separate inspections. How does this happen? I assume there are automated ways of track testing, are they just not foolproof? Or are the alarms not automatic?
http://www.cnn.com/2015/10/09/us/west-virginia-train-derailment-investigation/index.html

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

It looks like the FRA is blaming a broken rail for that huge derailment and fire in WV in February. They say that inspectors missed the break on two separate inspections. How does this happen? I assume there are automated ways of track testing, are they just not foolproof? Or are the alarms not automatic?
http://www.cnn.com/2015/10/09/us/west-virginia-train-derailment-investigation/index.html

quote:

The FRA issued CSX and Sperry Rail Service $25,000 fines each for failure to verify a potential rail defect, Friday's statement said.

Welp, there is that wrist slap thing again. Is this the part we hear it was known but no one acted on it because the line was too busy and valuable to shutdown to fix?

vains
May 26, 2004

JuffoWup posted:

Welp, there is that wrist slap thing again. Is this the part we hear it was known but no one acted on it because the line was too busy and valuable to shutdown to fix?

evil railroad corporations lol

https://www.fra.dot.gov/eLib/details/L17123#p1_z5_gD_lAC

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

"The FRA" posted:

RAIL FLAW

Over the course of the weeks and months leading to the derailment, the low rail developed a flaw

known as a vertical split head (VSH). A VSH is a longitudinal fracture in the upper part of a rail,

used for supporting and guiding the wheels of railroad cars.

Prior to the derailment, two separate tests conducted by Sperry Rail Service (Sperry), a

contractor hired by CSXT to detect rail flaws in the New River Subdivision, showed evidence of

the VSH.

During a December 17, 2014, test, Sperry’s test equipment recorded indications of a rail flaw at

what would become the Point of Derailment (POD). A subsequent test, on January 12, 2015,

noted a similar but more significant rail flaw indication at the same location. Despite indications

of potential flaws, the Sperry operator failed to conduct a ground visual examination or hand

tests to confirm the flaws as required. When asked by FRA investigators why he did not leave

the cab of the test equipment to complete the required visual inspection, the operator stated his

assumption that rough rail surface conditions, not a structural flaw, caused a positive test.

Despite the Sperry operator’s 15 years of experience on this CSXT territory, he had not receive

the enhanced training given to new employees.

It was a combination of "I don't know/give a gently caress" and "lets just throw a slow order on it, and deal with it later"

vains
May 26, 2004

probably. kind of the nature of the beast. who knows

Strawberry
Jul 20, 2005

here is no why
We always have a section truck supporting the rail tester, so that when a defect is found we just cut in a plug rail right then and there, although finding curve worn rail is not easy. Depends on the type of defect, but fixing a defect is sometimes as simple as drilling the web and bolting on the joint bars, takes all of 15 minutes.

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high

Anyone here taken the operations management test for up? I feel like this furlough might be longer than I can handle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inkjet_lakes
Feb 9, 2015
This seems like a poor idea:

https://www.facebook.com/StanleyRobertsKRON4/photos/a.228241700530063.67739.227160203971546/743996488954579/?type=3&permPage=1