Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

DrDork posted:

Obviously neither company is perfect, but one of them has made a name for themselves in the high quality department (yeah, ASUS's RMA side sucks, but chances are pretty low you'll ever have to use them because--occasional problematic products aside--their poo poo is good stuff). The other has made a name for themselves in the low quality, barely works, cut every corner possible department.

Yes, I get that Acer seems to be trying to push into the higher end of things with these recent monitors...but changing from lowest-bidder $90 TN's to high-end $800 IPS isn't something that I trust them to be able to reliably pull off. Maybe in another few generations. In the meantime, if I'm plunking down $800+, I want it to be from a company that I trust to probably get everything right the first time.

Funnily enough that's why I have a Dell. The QC issues in the gamer sector seem way worse than in the professional sector, and the prices in the latter are plummeting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nuh-uh no way
Mar 27, 2010
So, I'm currently in process of building this: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/KKsTkL and I'm in the market for a new monitor. I'm mostly playing MMOs, and a few FPS but just single-player. I would like to stick under $800 for one. I've taken the quiz at TFT Selector and the Dell U2715H popped up and Dell has it at about $630 CAN. Is this a good deal, or should I be looking at something else?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Exasperated posted:

So, I'm currently in process of building this: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/KKsTkL and I'm in the market for a new monitor. I'm mostly playing MMOs, and a few FPS but just single-player. I would like to stick under $800 for one. I've taken the quiz at TFT Selector and the Dell U2715H popped up and Dell has it at about $630 CAN. Is this a good deal, or should I be looking at something else?

It's a good monitor and should be fine for your usage, the only ones that would be a big improvement over it would be the Dell U3415W or the Acer XB270HU bprz which are both well above your budget.

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender

Exasperated posted:

If you're not looking for GSync/Freesync at 1440p you should consider a Korean import. They're around half the price of the Dell.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

xthetenth posted:

Funnily enough that's why I have a Dell. The QC issues in the gamer sector seem way worse than in the professional sector, and the prices in the latter are plummeting.

For this reason I was incredibly excited by Dell's announcement of their upcoming GSync screen. That is, until I learnt that it is bloody TN (ala PG278Q). Come on Dell, everyone else is moving away from that panel.

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

VulgarandStupid posted:

I'm not particularly sensitive to tearing, and honestly, 60hz is probably completely fine for me. The issue is I want low total lag (which is like processing time of the monitor itself plus pixel response) for gaming. I currently have a Korean 27" IPS which definitely has some lag, but its not horrific. So, if I refuse to step backwards in any dimension (size, resolution, color/IPS, lag) then I have to go with one of these gaming monitors. The thing is, there aren't a lot of low total lag monitors out there, and most of them are grouped with Freesync or G-sync, so I might as well get the G-sync since its better tech and Nvidia cards for the most part are better. I mean, I've already invested $600 on a video card, I may as well pony up for a monitor that doesn't lag.

DrDork posted:

It's a pretty damned nice feature to have if you want to game on it and don't plan on packing enough GPU power to always be in the 120+ FPS world. Which, unless you think SLI Titan X's are a reasonable expenditure, and/or you think low/medium settings are a-ok, you won't be.

It doesn't really do you any good for text/video, but if you're already considering spending a boat-load of money on monitors, you might as well pay the bit extra to get G-Sync, especially if you can wait a bit and hope market effects knock the price premium of it down. Otherwise you might as well just roll with dual QNix's for $200/ea and call it a day. I'm really not kidding about that, either. Spend some of the saved money on a 980Ti with dual DVI ports and enjoy.

Thanks for the explanations. The only reason I asked is because Eizo has some stuff that looks decent but without the g-sync. Is SLI mandatory for any dual monitor setup even if I'm planning on using only one of the two screens to game on? The other would ideally be displaying text/browser windows/things that let me pretend I am doing my job.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Hambilderberglar posted:

Is SLI mandatory for any dual monitor setup even if I'm planning on using only one of the two screens to game on?

Absolutely not. Any modern card can run like a dozen monitors these days (given enough outputs, anyway), and if you'll only game on a single monitor it's not a problem there either.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Hambilderberglar posted:

Thanks for the explanations. The only reason I asked is because Eizo has some stuff that looks decent but without the g-sync. Is SLI mandatory for any dual monitor setup even if I'm planning on using only one of the two screens to game on? The other would ideally be displaying text/browser windows/things that let me pretend I am doing my job.

I have a single MSI 970 running a Korean 27" 1440p at 96hz and a Samsung 27" 1080P at 60hz and the card doesn't even move from idle clock when both are on and doing things other than gaming. It's more than enough power for that type of use case.

nuh-uh no way
Mar 27, 2010

Krailor posted:

If you're not looking for GSync/Freesync at 1440p you should consider a Korean import. They're around half the price of the Dell.

I keep hearing about Korean imports, what brands is everyone talking about?

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Exasperated posted:

This is the one I and a few other goons own, and I highly recommend:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA4JH2CA3490

The off grade aspect basically takes away the warranty for the panel and slashes the price by like another 33%. Absolutely worth the risk from what I've seen, but YMMV. Note that this is specifically the single input (DVI-D) version, as this is the only one that can be correctly overclocked to 96/100+ hertz.

There is a similar monitor from Crossover and one that starts with an X? That I've also seen recommended.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Oct 1, 2015

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!
Anyone have recommendations for a cheaper 1080p monitor. It will be used as a second monitor just to watch videos while playing video games on the main monitor. It won't be used for gaming at all. Looking hopefully around $100 to $150. IPS would be nice. Thanks.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Exasperated posted:

These days it's either the QNIX QX2710 either b-grade or new (NOT the multi 10 variant), or the Crossover 2795QHD

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

B-Mac posted:

Anyone have recommendations for a cheaper 1080p monitor. It will be used as a second monitor just to watch videos while playing video games on the main monitor. It won't be used for gaming at all. Looking hopefully around $100 to $150. IPS would be nice. Thanks.

Maybe this one? ASUS ones are pretty good and this one has HDMI and can be mounted on a VESA stand if you ever want to do that, IPS too.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Any recommendations for a 1080p 23''-24'' monitor, with not-garbage built-in speakers or at least 3.5 mm audio jacks, at $200 max? I plan on using it with a gaming PC and my PS4.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Neo_Crimson posted:

Any recommendations for a 1080p 23''-24'' monitor, with not-garbage built-in speakers or at least 3.5 mm audio jacks, at $200 max? I plan on using it with a gaming PC and my PS4.

The ASUS MX239h would be a good choice, it's got pretty good built in speakers, two HDMI ports and very low input lag. It's $189 at Amazon right now.

TE!
Nov 26, 2003

I LOVE THE LITTLE BOYS OF CATHOLIC!! LOLZ!
I bought an ASUS PB278Q and it seems to flicker every now and then. There doesn't really seem to be an consistency to it so I'm not really sure. Any ideas what could be causing this?

I have a Geforce GTX 770, and an 800 MW power supply. I have another 27 inch monitor and run dual monitors, although the flicker seems to happen as frequently when that monitor is unplugged.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

TE! posted:

I bought an ASUS PB278Q and it seems to flicker every now and then. There doesn't really seem to be an consistency to it so I'm not really sure. Any ideas what could be causing this?

I have a Geforce GTX 770, and an 800 MW power supply. I have another 27 inch monitor and run dual monitors, although the flicker seems to happen as frequently when that monitor is unplugged.

I've noticed that a lot of LED monitors that use PWM backlight control (such as yours) exhibit a slight "candlelight" flickering effect. I don't know whether that's a human persistence-of-vision thing or something to do with PWM instability.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Hambilderberglar posted:

As others have said, you don't need SLI just because you have two monitors. (for reference, I have 3 monitors on a single 980, and I forcibly down-clock it to ~135Mhz when I'm not gaming and it's perfectly fine)

You do, however, basically need SLI if you want to run 1440p + Ultra on AAA titles + 120+ FPS. If you're willing to compromise on any of those three things, though, you'd be fine with a single 980/980Ti or hell even a 290X/390X if you're not particular. Again, for reference at 1440p I get about 50-55 FPS playing TW3 with most things maxed out and Hairworks on (admittedly on 2x + low, but on) on my single 980.

nuh-uh no way
Mar 27, 2010

EoRaptor posted:

These days it's either the QNIX QX2710 either b-grade or new (NOT the multi 10 variant), or the Crossover 2795QHD

Thanks for the help everyone, I guess I just need to figure out how much I really want to spend and how much of a gamble I want to take.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."
e: found the answer in the OP.

Richard M Nixon fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Oct 2, 2015

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.
Trip report. Picked up a June build XB270HU. No dead pixels, no light bleed. Thank god.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I got a ASUS VS239H and I think it's pretty sweet.

The only thing is the sound. I have it plugged into my GTX 760 with HDMI and the sound will cut out when it think it's too quiet. I can't find anyway to override this behavior as it gets really annoying when I have my headphones in. Movies don't always have sound going and it's jarring when the sound has to come back up with a pop after a pause. Any ideas?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

skooma512 posted:

I got a ASUS VS239H and I think it's pretty sweet.

The only thing is the sound. I have it plugged into my GTX 760 with HDMI and the sound will cut out when it think it's too quiet. I can't find anyway to override this behavior as it gets really annoying when I have my headphones in. Movies don't always have sound going and it's jarring when the sound has to come back up with a pop after a pause. Any ideas?

IMO headphones should be plugged into the motherboard out (or sound card), not your monitor. Have the latest drivers? Try turning off extraneous features in your Realtek panel.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

VelociBacon posted:

IMO headphones should be plugged into the motherboard out (or sound card), not your monitor. Have the latest drivers? Try turning off extraneous features in your Realtek panel.

Why? Are monitors shipping with lovely DACs?

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
I just realized what I like most about the Dell U2415 and U2715H monitors I bought for my new system is that they don't have any goddamn logo or energy saver startup screens. They just go straight to your desktop or whatever. My old Asus and Acer monitors had two of them that took at least 6 seconds to cycle through. So annoying.

How are the XB270HU and the like in that regard?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

VelociBacon posted:

Yeah it's looking that way. But I like hooking up my 360/PS3 and TV to this monitor, though it isn't really a problem on those.

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

Ambaire posted:

I just realized what I like most about the Dell U2415 and U2715H monitors I bought for my new system is that they don't have any goddamn logo or energy saver startup screens. They just go straight to your desktop or whatever. My old Asus and Acer monitors had two of them that took at least 6 seconds to cycle through. So annoying.

How are the XB270HU and the like in that regard?

3 second splash screen letting you know if G-Sync is on with the logo, then on.

Skeeter
Oct 24, 2004
Honk Honk!
Looking at snagging a Qnix QX2710, as this thread seems to still recommend it as wonderful cheap-end bang-for-buck.

My issue is that while Newegg in the US has it at 200 USD, Canadian Newegg has it at 650 CAD. :canada:

Are there any recommended sellers to Canada? I found this guy, but would like to know thread's thoughts before pulling the trigger. :ohdear:

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Skeeter posted:

Looking at snagging a Qnix QX2710, as this thread seems to still recommend it as wonderful cheap-end bang-for-buck.

My issue is that while Newegg in the US has it at 200 USD, Canadian Newegg has it at 650 CAD. :canada:

Are there any recommended sellers to Canada? I found this guy, but would like to know thread's thoughts before pulling the trigger. :ohdear:

The Korean sellers are fine, it's just a bit more risky because of the returns process.

Note that that's an off-grade panel though. There might be a minor blemish or two and they can annoy the more picky.

starry skies above
Aug 23, 2015

by zen death robot
So what are some highly anticipated monitors on the horizon?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

starry skies above posted:

So what are some highly anticipated monitors on the horizon?
I think Asus is supposed to release a 27" 1440p IPS 144Hz Gsync monitor soon.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Josh Lyman posted:

I think Asus is supposed to release a 27" 1440p IPS 144Hz Gsync monitor soon.

Yup. And Acer is doing a xb270hu refresh.

Asus PG279Q: 27-inch 1440p 144Hz IPS G-SYNC Monitor
Acer XB271HU: 27-inch 1440p 144Hz IPS G-SYNC Monitor

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
ASUS PG348Q or nothing!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

DrDork posted:

ASUS PG348Q or nothing!

That stand is so :pcgaming: I almost like it.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Yeah, it's gamer as gently caress but at least it's an inventive gamer aesthetic rather than neon and cheap tacky plastic.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
Are there any options for g-sync UHD monitors that aren't complete bullshit yet? I've wanted one for a while but they seem to either be TN which gently caress that or they're IPS and have freesync but not g-sync.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

cat doter posted:

Are there any options for g-sync UHD monitors that aren't complete bullshit yet? I've wanted one for a while but they seem to either be TN which gently caress that or they're IPS and have freesync but not g-sync.

Both Acer and Asus have IPS 27" 4K GSync monitors coming.

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

Truga posted:

Absolutely not. Any modern card can run like a dozen monitors these days (given enough outputs, anyway), and if you'll only game on a single monitor it's not a problem there either.

Mazz posted:

I have a single MSI 970 running a Korean 27" 1440p at 96hz and a Samsung 27" 1080P at 60hz and the card doesn't even move from idle clock when both are on and doing things other than gaming. It's more than enough power for that type of use case.

DrDork posted:

As others have said, you don't need SLI just because you have two monitors. (for reference, I have 3 monitors on a single 980, and I forcibly down-clock it to ~135Mhz when I'm not gaming and it's perfectly fine)

You do, however, basically need SLI if you want to run 1440p + Ultra on AAA titles + 120+ FPS. If you're willing to compromise on any of those three things, though, you'd be fine with a single 980/980Ti or hell even a 290X/390X if you're not particular. Again, for reference at 1440p I get about 50-55 FPS playing TW3 with most things maxed out and Hairworks on (admittedly on 2x + low, but on) on my single 980.

So SLI will become mandatory only if/when I plan on gaming across both screens. Which I'm not sure I ever will. At least I have a better idea of what to expect. Thanks for all the help and I guess I will be sitting on my hands until the new crop of monitors lands

K-ParAdoX
Jul 12, 2004
...but.this.phone.is. always.off.it's.hook...
I have kind of a weird situation I was wondering if folks could help me out with. I've got an HDTV as my monitor, sitting eye level about 6ish feet away. It's less than ideal, but unfortunately I don't have any other options at the moment. I'm also using an nVidia GeForce 9800 GT if that makes any difference. I've got the video card set at it's max resolution, and everything looks blurry and terrible if I lower it. Video/games are fine at the current res, but text is incredibly blurry. I have Chrome set to open pages at 175%, and that's a bit helpful, but it's still a bit of a strain to read at this distance. I don't mind making things larger and smaller in the browser as needed, but it's very difficult to see anything else (generally just Windows and a couple music production programs).

I tried to search for info about properly setting up a TV as a monitor, how to properly set a graphics card for HDTV, even about having to deal with a monitor a bit too far, but I couldn't find much of anything. Admittedly though, I'm fairly poo poo at googling, so that brings me here. Do you guys have any tips/info on how I should set my graphics card and TV to make this situation a bit easier on my eyes?

K-ParAdoX fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Oct 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

BurritoJustice posted:

Both Acer and Asus have IPS 27" 4K GSync monitors coming.

Not ludicrously expensive, I hope.