Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Ledenko posted:

I just read some trivia about skullface - apparently on the bonus bluray stuff, Kojima mentions we're supposed to feel "a phantom pain" once he's gone. It's funny, I felt "a phantom pain" missing a proper antagonist the whole game.
Skull Face owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

lovely Wizard posted:

I thought he made fun of him for it because he tried a technique he only heard about, not the technique itself.
I always thought his surprise came about because he was actually trying it. "You're just asking for your gun to jam on you" or something like that.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

DaveKap posted:

I always thought his surprise came about because he was actually trying it. "You're just asking for your gun to jam on you" or something like that.

Nah, he specifically says that trying a technique that he's only heard about right in the middle of the battlefield was a really dumb thing.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

DaveKap posted:

I forgot to post this forever ago but you know how they REALLY give away that you're not Big Boss early on? When you go out into the field fresh and your magazine is full but you hit reload and Venom puts an extra bullet in the chamber. This is the technique that Naked Snake made fun of Ocelot for trying back in MGS 3. The real Big Boss would never do that trick.

That isn't true at all. What Ocelot tried in MGS3 is completely different from what you're describing. When you start fresh in the field you put a mag into your AR and chamber one bullet. If you immediately reload with another 30 round mag then you drop the 29 bullets left in your current mag and end up with 31 available to fire (30 in the mag plus 1 in the chamber).

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Most people wouldn't do this in the field because it's ridiculous to chamber a round and swap magazines just for one extra round but it takes almost no time and just one button press in MGS so it's easy to do when you're starting out. Big Boss doesn't have to fumble around with a bunch of partially-loaded magazines or anything so it doesn't matter when or where you reload.

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009
The first thing Ishmael does when he picks up the handgun in the hospital is the reload trick Ocelot tried, which is baller as gently caress.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Ralph dies because Huey was using him to to rebuild Sahelanthropus and Huey hides the body, doesn't he?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

Ralph dies because Huey was using him to to rebuild Sahelanthropus and Huey hides the body, doesn't he?

Eli kills Ralph and drops Shabani's necklace down into the chlorine tank to foster dissent among the child soldiers. He needs a good smack on the jaw.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Pretty sure Ralph has enough common sense to say "hey guys maybe this isn't a great idea" when Eli talks about a revolution and attacking the adults on Mother Base, so Eli kills him.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Oxxidation posted:

Eli kills Ralph and drops Shabani's necklace down into the chlorine tank to foster dissent among the child soldiers. He needs a good smack on the jaw.

Oh, that's right. Still. gently caress Huey.

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Don't smoke, kids... Unless you have to.
I kinda wanted to wait on passing judgement on Huey because MGS is always full of twists, but I was perfectly fine with Ocelot slapping him around as soon as I heard "I'M A VICTIM! [because I lost the robot I built with your staff and resources]"

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

(and can't post for 2 years!)

Huey: That wolf is not a dog just like that grunt is not Big Boss!
Snake: Alright get rid of this rear end in a top hat

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Amorphous Blob posted:

Huey: That wolf is not a dog just like that grunt is not Big Boss!
Snake: Alright get rid of this rear end in a top hat

Lol

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Code Talker doesnt show up in later games because all his parasites died from that chemical burger.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

SynthOrange posted:

Code Talker doesnt show up in later games because all his parasites died from that chemical burger.
It was worth it.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Code Talker retired from Diamond Dogs and now makes burgers at Code Talker's Old Dinér in Arizona.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Detective No. 27 posted:

Eli killed Ralph because he had the same name as the protagonist in Lord of the Flies that tried to keep the kids civilized.

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Alain Post posted:

Code Talker retired from Diamond Dogs and now makes burgers at Code Talker's Old Dinér in Arizona.

Lol

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The EU didn't exist until '93, it's just a model recycle.

Yeah Bro
Feb 4, 2012

This is good, isn't it?

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Aurain posted:

gently caress off.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Aurain posted:

Because technology not existing in the appropriate time period has stopped metal gear from using it before right?

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Is the nationality code in the EU flag really MGS? NGS?

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

net cafe scandal posted:

gently caress off.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I'm sorry.

Mr. Hideo Kojima intentionally remade the same model for his Fox Engines and gave it a EU licence plate and the same number as a homage instead of re-using the existing one from Metal Gear Solid 4.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Aurain posted:

"Bike Nanomachines"

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Aurain posted:

I'm sorry.

Mr. Hideo Kojima intentionally remade the same model for his Fox Engines and gave it a EU licence plate and the same number as a homage instead of re-using the existing one from Metal Gear Solid 4.

It is a new model. You can tell from the polygons and graphic shaders. The plate is the code to unlock chapters 3 and 5 but not 4.

diamond dog
Jul 27, 2010

by merry exmarx
peace day only comes if you believe

TXT BOOTY7 2 47474
Jan 12, 2006

eat your vegetables dot com

Aurain posted:

I'm sorry.

...yes, that's exactly what happened

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I can't believe I had to play through the entire prologue again to get like 10 seconds of new information. New information literally spoiled in the very first trailer for Phantom Pain.

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I can't believe I had to play through the entire prologue again to get like 10 seconds of new information. New information literally spoiled in the very first trailer for Phantom Pain.

I'd have loved if we got the Ishmael version of it, but that'd require diverting development time from Quiet's horrible storyline of plotholes and dumb poo poo.

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

(and can't post for 2 years!)

You're talking to yourself

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
https://www.reddit.com/r/NeverBeGameOver/comments/3nemv8/infiltrating_hells_kitchen/?sort=new

https://www.reddit.com/r/NeverBeGameOver/comments/3ncqfk/hells_kitchen_real_world_arg/

They are now convinced that if they find zeros hq in new york IN REAL LIFE and infiltrate it, IN REAL LIFE, something will happen. I'm thinking 9 years locked away is what will happen.

My fav post in that thread is the guy who thinks just because skullface said "if someone finds it, there are dozens of ways in" is kojima giving him permission to trespass in real life. Sure that will hold up in front of a judge.

this really is the subreddit that just keeps on giving.

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Oct 4, 2015

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

lovely Wizard posted:

I'd have loved if we got the Ishmael version of it, but that'd require diverting development time from Quiet's horrible storyline of plotholes and dumb poo poo.

Durr.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I was also expecting something cool to come out of the helicopter pilot. Why do we never see his face?

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
I'm not even sure if I finished the game. Was the final mission killing your own guys in the medical/quarantine platform?

Yeah Bro
Feb 4, 2012

Mission 46 is the final mission.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

I was also expecting something cool to come out of the helicopter pilot. Why do we never see his face?

Same here, ever played Vampire the masquerade? There's a big twist with an important character who appears a lot and hides in plain sight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Same here, ever played Vampire the masquerade? There's a big twist with an important character who appears a lot and hides in plain sight.

The stop sign?

• Locked thread