Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Redcordial
Nov 7, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

lol the country is fed up with your safe spaces and trigger warnings you useless special snowflakes, send the sjws to mexico
400th post.. maybe..

gently caress this world, man.

Edit: Great.. didn't expect to get a snipe..

For content: How about that Tony Abbott hey? Can't let him out of sight for a second without hilarity ensuing.. The end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Jumpingmanjim posted:

If Tone was still prime minister we would be bombing paramatta by now.

Voting tone now

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Look we're Australian, can't we just label the murdering kid what he actually is?

A fuckwit.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
What a bloody drongo

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Not the full quid

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Face like a dropped pie

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
A Collingwood supporter.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Redcordial posted:

400th post.. maybe..

gently caress this world, man.

Edit: Great.. didn't expect to get a snipe..

For content: How about that Tony Abbott hey? Can't let him out of sight for a second without hilarity ensuing.. The end.

This is a really bad post.

Regarding the shooting, I'm mostly just disappointed that the conservatives got what they wanted. They deliberately alienate and isolate the communities involved by branding them terrorists and then get the attacks they wanted so they can brand it as terrorism. It's frightening how easily they pulled it off.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Proactive reactionary conservatism

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Splode posted:

Regarding the shooting, I'm mostly just disappointed that the conservatives got what they wanted. They deliberately alienate and isolate the communities involved by branding them terrorists and then get the attacks they wanted so they can brand it as terrorism. It's frightening how easily they pulled it off.
Which is precisely why the people who are first to call 'terrorism' need to be taken note of. Every single one of them is actively making things worse. If it is terrorism then it will come out in due course and then they can have their free shots. But I already said pretty much this. Image if, like Monis (probably was), it was just an act of a stressed individual and IS did claim responsibility? Are we really giving control of the justice system to the very people we purport to oppose?

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

What's weird in this case is that the basket-case Right are already screaming that Turnbull is going to be a soft lefty about it all because he loves the ABC. Stop the mosques which have magic powers or something.

edit: Also the Oils are a poo poo band because you know who was the singer. :rolleyes:

ewe2 fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Oct 4, 2015

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Did IS actually claim responsibility for Monis? I thought he was just totally lone wolf. Wasn't he a Shiite? And a former practitioner of black magic, or something like that, the kind of thing that would get you beheaded in Raqqa?

edit - I mean lone wolf in the sense that he tried to associate himself with IS and they weren't interested, like a Milhouse figure trying to hang out with the cool kids.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

freebooter posted:

Did IS actually claim responsibility for Monis? I thought he was just totally lone wolf. Wasn't he a Shiite? And a former practitioner of black magic, or something like that, the kind of thing that would get you beheaded in Raqqa?

edit - I mean lone wolf in the sense that he tried to associate himself with IS and they weren't interested, like a Milhouse figure trying to hang out with the cool kids.

They claimed support of their ally in Australia yadda yadda. They had literally no idea who he was but were just claiming support anyway.

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

Lid posted:

They claimed support of their ally in Australia yadda yadda. They had literally no idea who he was but were just claiming support anyway.

"That guy, that did the thing? Yeah he was alright"

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

ewe2 posted:

edit: Also the Oils are a poo poo band because you know who was the singer. :rolleyes:
Voldemort?

Australia today: White guy kills someone = Sad but regular crime. Middle Eastern looking guy kills someone = Terrorism.

I'm half surprised they haven't attempted to claim a muslim having a sneeze is "committing a bio-warfare attack on are soil".

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Pickled Tink posted:

I'm half surprised they haven't attempted to claim a muslim having a sneeze is "committing a bio-warfare attack on are soil".

Thank you for reminding me of this

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...022-119ve0.html

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
:siren: moslems control genies :siren:

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Do you think tones is fuming right now that malcolm is up on stage presenting the NRL trophy instead of him?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Yes.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Cybertron must act decisively to prevent and oppose acts of genocide and violations of international robot rights law and to bring perpetrators before the Decepticon Justice Division
Pillbug

Pickled Tink posted:

Australia today: White guy kills someone = Sad but regular crime. Middle Eastern looking guy kills someone = Terrorism.

That's amazingly disingenuous. What the gently caress PT.

We wouldn't tolerate people coming in here spouting miranda devine or andrew bolt talking points, why does poo poo like this get a pass?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Do you think tones is fuming right now that malcolm is up on stage presenting the NRL trophy instead of him?

lmao he got booed and did the exact same gesture Tony did.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Pickled Tink posted:

Voldemort?

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/parramatta-shooting-hizb-uttahrir-links-to-teen-gunman-farhad-jabar-khalil-mohammad-alleged-20151004-gk10wh.html

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
I don't know if this got brought up before by me or someone else, but a li'l bit back we stalled the TPP by refusing to extend the restriction of bio-similar medication manufacture from five to twelve years, and it seems we just acquiesced to about eight.

So that's what everyone else lower on the economic food chain's lost a big ol' bargaining chip down to

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Hobo Erotica posted:

This is from the end of the last thread, but it's calling it a 'medical procedure' which illustrates the lack of understanding of the issue. It's like calling offshore detention an 'immigration procedure'. That doesn't mean that what it actually entails isn't potentially objectionable. In this case, they're talking about the termination of human foetuses. In their view, life begins at conception. While admittedly debatable, it's not arbitrary or indefensible. Where do you think it begins? At what point would you stop allowing abortions? 14 weeks? 22 weeks? 28 weeks? Full term? Unless it's full term there's a line there somewhere, so what consequences should there be for the parties involved if they cross the line?
In the mind of these people the line is at conception, and crossing it is the most serious crime, the literal murder of society's most pure and defenceless beings, so calling for the most serious punishment is not logically inconsistent, or even surprising.

I guess what I'm saying is you'd do well to try a bit harder to understand where people are coming from.

I don't think anyone misunderstands why these people are angry. People don't understand why they advocate for loving murder over it.

I'm mad about our torture of refugees, am I doing public speaking agitating for serco guards to be murdered?
I'm mad about cutting benefits leaving people to starve and die on the street, am I advocating for politicians to be murdered?
They're mad about children being killed, and yet they literally advocate and support the murder of people who perform those actions within the bounds of the law.

Not only is that hypocritical as gently caress it is also the actions of a person who is deeply loving ill. Murder is not how we solve things that we see as problems within our society. I especially don't understand advocating for the murder of doctors who perform abortions, I understand advocating for laws to be changed to make abortions illegal because that lines up with their understanding of life as "beginning at conception" which in itself is an arbitrary line and life being valuable. Murdering people goes directly against the whole "life is valuable" thing, but again I don't believe in capital punishment either so what the gently caress ever.

Abortion and when it's ok is always a matter of degrees. Is every time an egg goes unfertilised a murder? The line gets drawn somewhere, to me, once it's born it's a person, once a baby is capable of living by it's own means (obv needs feeding etc but can maintain it's own function of life independant of the mothers system) it's probably in the "shouldn't abort" category. Until that point I don't see it as much different from any other collection of cells in the body.

Advocating for the murder of people who institute a policy you don't agree with is Brown Blitzkrieg levels of what the gently caress is wrong with you.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
Blitzkrieg did nothing wrong :colbert:

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

on the other hand, kill the rich, imo.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

Jumpingmanjim posted:

A Collingwood supporter.

Woah woah let's not get too offensive in here

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

BBJoey posted:

on the other hand, kill the rich, imo.

Please let me know your speaking dates for your upcoming speaking tour of the US unironically advocating the murder of the rich.

That isn't intended as a barb, it would honestly be the most amazing piece of performance art.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

Tirade posted:

That's amazingly disingenuous. What the gently caress PT.

We wouldn't tolerate people coming in here spouting miranda devine or andrew bolt talking points, why does poo poo like this get a pass?
I am referring to the immediate assumption of terrorism instead of just plain crime.

The kid shot a police worker. If he was truly trying to perform some act of terror instead of just attacking the state, he could have walked anywhere else in Parramatta and blown away a bunch more people with far greater effect (And less effort). Even if he did listen to radicalising lectures by people (And at the moment Lid's article says it is just speculation), that doesn't make him a terrorist any more than some other dude shooting a cop in a freeway stop does. I have yet to see anything from him declaring this to be "holy Jihad" or other such known "I am a terrorist" markers. As far as we can tell this is just an alienated teen who snapped in a climate where he believed he was being vilified because of his ethnicity and religion.

Instead of waiting for an examination of the facts we had press speculating/declaring this to be terrorism as soon as they found out it was a middle eastern teen.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

The Peccadillo posted:

I don't know if this got brought up before by me or someone else, but a li'l bit back we stalled the TPP by refusing to extend the restriction of bio-similar medication manufacture from five to twelve years, and it seems we just acquiesced to about eight.

So that's what everyone else lower on the economic food chain's lost a big ol' bargaining chip down to

Has there been any report on this? I've been looking around news sites all night for any update to see if it fell over or went ahead. I know the current round of negotiations were extended by a day and that Australia and Japan were heavily opposed t0 extending medical patents to 8 years.

Hopefully they can't come to an agreement because there's a lot of talk that if they can't reach a deal during this round, it's not going to happen,

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I hope we aren't so distracted by this thing to be too distracted by that last thing that we were distracted by; the thing that was distracting so we won't remember to not be distracted by the original thing that reminded us to not be distracted by the thing that we were meant to be distracted by because that would distract us from the lovely thing that they were about to use as a distraction from their original purpose.

CATTASTIC fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Oct 4, 2015

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

QUACKTASTIC posted:

I hope we aren't so distracted by this thing to be too distracted by that last thing that we were distracted by; the thing that was distracting so we won't remember to not be distracted by the original thing that reminded us to not be distracted by the thing that we were meant to be distracted by because that would distract us from the lovely thing that they were about to use as a distraction from their original purpose.

don't worry, we still remember dcfadp

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
dcfadp is definitely something that is not distracting

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Cybertron must act decisively to prevent and oppose acts of genocide and violations of international robot rights law and to bring perpetrators before the Decepticon Justice Division
Pillbug

Pickled Tink posted:

I am referring to the immediate assumption of terrorism instead of just plain crime.

The kid shot a police worker. If he was truly trying to perform some act of terror instead of just attacking the state, he could have walked anywhere else in Parramatta and blown away a bunch more people with far greater effect (And less effort). Even if he did listen to radicalising lectures by people (And at the moment Lid's article says it is just speculation), that doesn't make him a terrorist any more than some other dude shooting a cop in a freeway stop does. I have yet to see anything from him declaring this to be "holy Jihad" or other such known "I am a terrorist" markers. As far as we can tell this is just an alienated teen who snapped in a climate where he believed he was being vilified because of his ethnicity and religion.

Instead of waiting for an examination of the facts we had press speculating/declaring this to be terrorism as soon as they found out it was a middle eastern teen.

There's nothing plain or regular about shooting a police employee in the head and then dying in a shootout with cops outside a police station, and pretending otherwise is part of the reason you're full of poo poo.

"Just attacking the state"? Get hosed.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Bendigo mosque protesters behead someone. :v:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-10-05/anti-islamic-group-stage-fake-beheading-in-bendigo/6827220

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Haha those Chaser guys up to no good again!

:stare:

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Halo14 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwrbyVaC6EU

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Halo14 posted:

I'll be honest, their video looks like someone is taking the piss out of them for being fuckwits, complete with cod Lebanese accent, lovely video filters and them doing illegal poo poo on camera.

URL links to the UPF facebook page in case anyone would rather not visit it by the way

https://www.facebook.com/unitedpatriotsfront/videos/183124668688660/?fref=nf

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Fun Shoe

Tirade posted:

There's nothing plain or regular about shooting a police employee in the head and then dying in a shootout with cops outside a police station, and pretending otherwise is part of the reason you're full of poo poo.

"Just attacking the state"? Get hosed.
I never said it was plain or regular. What I said was that when the person who committed it was revealed to be muslim, the press simply declared it was terrorism when the facts then were very much not in evidence to support that (And still aren't). It certainly wouldn't be the first time an angry and alienated youth has lashed out at an authority figure.

If he wanted to commit an "act of terrorism" that resonated strongly, he could have gone virtually anywhere else there. There are literally tens of thousands of potential victims there at any given time during the day. He could have walked into the food court at the Parramatta Westfield and had his choice of random stationary targets to plug. Instead he went to the police and shot a police worker.

I'm not sure why I'm bothering to go to such lengths to respond to you since you have been so intellectually dishonest here, but what the hell. Let's pick apart a random article on it I found on the SMH (Basically the first one I found. I'm lazy and need to piss off to a barbeque shortly).

Parramatta shooting: Gunman identified as Farhad Khalil Mohammad Jabar

quote:

The 15-year-old boy who shot dead a NSW police employee outside the force's headquarters had not come to the attention of counter terrorism police before he carried out the "politically motivated" attack.
There we have assumption one, in the first paragraph. "politically motivated". The kid is dead and he left nothing to explain his actions, so how would anyone know what his motivations are? Notice the use of quotation marks around it to signify that they are quoting, but not specify who they are quoting. Placing it right there gets people thinking along the lines of terrorism.

quote:

High school student Farhad Khalil Mohammad Jabar shot dead police accountant Curtis Cheng, 58, from behind and at close range outside police headquarters at Parramatta at 4.30pm on Friday.

The teenager, who went to school at Arthur Phillip High just 300 metres away from where the attack took place, then continued to fire his handgun outside the police building until he was killed in a shoot out with three special constables.

NSW Police Commissioner Andrew Scipione said it was believed the teenager was acting alone and that police had no prior information that he posed "this type of threat".

"We are exploring every avenue with regard to why he did what he did," Mr Scipione said.

"We have no information that this individual posed this type of threat but ... we believe his actions were politically motivated and therefore linked to terrorism."
"We have no idea why he did what he did, but we are assuming it is terrorism"

quote:

Police said they had not yet uncovered any messages, religious writings or notes left by Farhad.

His social media accounts appear mostly untouched since about 2013, when he sent tweets about the reality talent show The Voice.

He did, however, visit nearby Parramatta mosque on Friday afternoon before carrying out the attack. It is understood he changed into the flowing black shirt and black trousers there. Detectives were seen visiting the mosque on Saturday.
"We've got nothing but the fact he visited a house of worship before he did something violent."

quote:

Mr Scipione said police were a "long way from establishing a full picture of the boy" but said he was of Iraqi-Kurdish background and born in Iran and had been living in North Parramatta with family.
"We know gently caress all about him, but he is from the middle east."

quote:

Premier Mike Baird said the shock that a 15-year-old could carry out such an act would be felt not just in Sydney but around the world.

"How can someone so young undertake such a chilling act?" Mr Baird said.

"It doesn't make sense. It should never have happened. Obviously we are all lost for words."
I wasn't aware shooting a cop was a chilling act that would be felt around the world. It sounds more like simple murder to me, but then again I'm not the one with a vested interest in ensuring it is seen as terrorism (Remember, no evidence at all has been presented to say this is terrorism. Thus far all they have is "middle eastern", "attended a mosque", and "did something violent").

So at this stage there is literally no evidence whatsoever to support the claim that this was a specific act of terrorism, rather than a kid shooting at his local cops for whatever angry reason he had in his 15 year old brain. It certainly wouldn't be the first time someone has attacked the police (That is, sadly, all too common) but one of the relatively few times they actually killed one. The fact that it is just assumed and taken for granted is what I am angry about, as I already said. If a white christian had done this, it would not have been declared terrorism so quickly and with no evidence. I can say that at least with a great deal of certainty based on how reporting of shootings and violence by white people is virtually never described as such.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ahh Yes
Nov 16, 2004
>_>
Yep its probably just a random killing, best not to speculate, because it might put the Muslim community in a bad light.

The police are unfairly trying to get answers from the mosque and local community, where the offender happened to of come from. Until we find a literal manifesto, we just can't know!

• Locked thread