Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Luigi Thirty posted:

An anonymous source told People Magazine the shooter's manifesto is all about serving Satan and shooting Christians in the name of Satan. Uh... I'm sure this is actually what it said. I hope we get another round of Satanic panic videotapes out of it.

I'd rather avoid another West Memphis Three because Judges would rather believe that Satan killed a child than the creepy step parent that was the last witness of the child and no real alibi for where he was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
who physically adds amendments to the constitution? like do they have a calligrapher on retainer in case a constitutional amendment gets passed or what

baw
Nov 5, 2008

or is it even physically written or wtf

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

baw posted:

who physically adds amendments to the constitution? like do they have a calligrapher on retainer in case a constitutional amendment gets passed or what

Actually, yes! They have an entire office dedicated to it.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

awesome thanks

baw
Nov 5, 2008

In March 2013, Blair's over $96,000 annual salary, and the salary of her two deputy calligraphers, became a source of debate when published by the White House and reported online.[1][2]

the GOP shoulda gone after this instead of benghazi

Dilkington
Aug 6, 2010

"Al mio amore Dilkington, Gennaro"
edit:no gun chat here

Dilkington fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Oct 4, 2015

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

baw posted:

In March 2013, Blair's over $96,000 annual salary, and the salary of her two deputy calligraphers, became a source of debate when published by the White House and reported online.[1][2]

Maybe its just me, but I feel like a decent salary for the person who's job basically entails SCREWING WITH THE CONSTITUTION OF THE UNITED STATES is an extravgance that taxpayers can well afford.

Dilkington
Aug 6, 2010

"Al mio amore Dilkington, Gennaro"
edit: no more gun chat- and a doublepost no less!

Dilkington fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Oct 4, 2015

baw
Nov 5, 2008

Klaus88 posted:

Maybe its just me, but I feel like a decent salary for the person who's job basically entails SCREWING WITH THE CONSTITUTION OF THE UNITED STATES is an extravgance that taxpayers can well afford.

also invitations for the arugula-filled galas at the white house

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_SUPREME_COURT_NEW_TERM

quote:

Abortion, birth control and race are among the most divisive issues the Supreme Court will confront over the next nine months, amid a presidential election campaign in which some candidates are talking pointedly about the justices and the prospect of replacing some of them in the next few years.

The court's lineup already includes, or likely will:

-Regulation of abortion clinics in Texas that could leave large parts of the second-most populous state without any abortion providers.

-Yet another battle over President Barack Obama's health care overhaul, involving the religious rights of faith-affiliated colleges, hospitals and charities and the provision of no-cost birth control to women covered by those groups' health plans.

-Another round from the University of Texas over the consideration of race, among many factors, in college admissions.

-A challenge over drawing electoral districts in Texas that could affect representation of immigrant-heavy urban areas.

-A fight to strip labor unions that represent government workers of their right to collect fees from non-union employees who benefit from the unions' work in collective bargaining.

Cool, I guess next year will look alot like the last few years at SCOTUS.

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

That doesn't have anything to do with the constitution though. That's just for White House social functions. Amendments are taken care of by the Archivist of the United States and the Director of the Federal Register.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Sir Tonk posted:

Nothing is ever resolved, not even for a single second

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Dr. Tough posted:

That doesn't have anything to do with the constitution though. That's just for White House social functions. Amendments are taken care of by the Archivist of the United States and the Director of the Federal Register.

Oh no, I goofed. :negative: I thought they did official documents too, not just social ones.

baw posted:

To be fair those are extremely specialized positions, and the amount of poo poo they put out of that office is crazy.

Grapplejack fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Oct 4, 2015

baw
Nov 5, 2008

Dr. Tough posted:

ok so the Archivist certifies an amendment after it has been ratified, then it is published in the Federal Register and added to the United States Statute at Large

but who writes on the constitution!

baw
Nov 5, 2008

Grapplejack posted:

To be fair those are extremely specialized positions, and the amount of poo poo they put out of that office is crazy.

Yeah I'm sure it's a busy office, and that amount of money doesn't go very far in DC.

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

baw posted:

ok so the Archivist certifies an amendment after it has been ratified, then it is published in the Federal Register and added to the United States Statute at Large

but who writes on the constitution!

Well no one writes on the constitution itself. The finished amendment looks like this:

baw
Nov 5, 2008

OK i guess i can go to sleep now. thank you

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Speaking of the Supreme Court, what ever happened to that 3rd Amendment case from a year or two back, where the guy was claiming that police snipers setting up in his house was a violation of his 3rd Amendment rights?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Nicholas Cage writes on the constitution

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

VikingofRock posted:

Speaking of the Supreme Court, what ever happened to that 3rd Amendment case from a year or two back, where the guy was claiming that police snipers setting up in his house was a violation of his 3rd Amendment rights?

Supreme court ruled against him because police arent' soldiers.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Dr. Tough posted:

Well no one writes on the constitution itself. The finished amendment looks like this:

They couldn't print out another page? They just crossed out part of it?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

BUBBA GAY DUDLEY posted:

They couldn't print out another page? They just crossed out part of it?

If that bothers you, definitely don't read up on the Japanese Instrument of Surrender.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Sir Tonk posted:

Any case involving race or unions is destined for the worst possible outcome with this court. Next year's docket looks pretty bad.

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band

Dead Reckoning posted:

The U.S. hasn't finished the investigation yet, but ABC says an anonymous official claims there was an AC-130 in the area, firing on Taliban fighters who were engaged with U.S. Special Forces. If that's the case, immediate self-defense more or less supersedes any protection the hospital would normally receive under LOAC.

Also, depending on who at the embassy was called and who was dropping the bombs, 30 minutes is not long at all. The embassy doesn't have a direct line to tactical aircraft.

Several pages back, but this smells like bullshit to me. If Taliban fighters were using the hospital as cover, MSF would have said something about it. Also, they weren't using MSF as cover, because MSF always makes contact with all belligerents, and lets them know who they are, what they are for, and that they don't even want weapons anywhere near them. If one of the belligerents can't deal with that, MSF pulls out. And MSF has been there longer than we have.

That hospital attack didn't happen by mistake. AC-130's don't scatter rounds all over the place. It doesn't work unless the flight crew and gunners are on the same page and know exactly what they are shooting at. I don't know what the hell make them think it was OK to shoot at a building with a red crescent on it (MSF operational security requires them to ALWAYS mark their facilities,) but they loving knew better than to to commit a no poo poo war crime.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Ceiling fan posted:

Several pages back, but this smells like bullshit to me. If Taliban fighters were using the hospital as cover, MSF would have said something about it. Also, they weren't using MSF as cover, because MSF always makes contact with all belligerents, and lets them know who they are, what they are for, and that they don't even want weapons anywhere near them. If one of the belligerents can't deal with that, MSF pulls out. And MSF has been there longer than we have.

That hospital attack didn't happen by mistake. AC-130's don't scatter rounds all over the place. It doesn't work unless the flight crew and gunners are on the same page and know exactly what they are shooting at. I don't know what the hell make them think it was OK to shoot at a building with a red crescent on it (MSF operational security requires them to ALWAYS mark their facilities,) but they loving knew better than to to commit a no poo poo war crime.

We shoot or blow up our own forces in the exact same way all the drat time.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Republicans posted:

We shoot or blow up our own forces in the exact same way all the drat time.
But it isn't a loving war crime against one of the few no-poo poo unconditionally good organizations left on this loving planet when we blow up our own forces.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Ravenfood posted:

But it isn't a loving war crime against one of the few no-poo poo unconditionally good organizations left on this loving planet when we blow up our own forces.

We shoot classrooms full of first graders in our country and do nothing about it but fret and counter-fret.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Fix posted:

We shoot classrooms full of first graders in our country and do nothing about it but fret and counter-fret.

They should have been given guns for self defence by their parents talk about negligence.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Raskolnikov38 posted:

If that bothers you, definitely don't read up on the Japanese Instrument of Surrender.

Canadians, man.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Supreme court ruled against him because police arent' soldiers.

Heh oh really

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Teflon Don posted:

Heh oh really

Nah it died at the district court level, but relevant portion:

quote:

I hold that a municipal police officer is not a soldier for purposes of the Third Amendment. This squares with the purpose of the Third Amendment because this was not a military intrusion into a private home, and thus the intrusion is more effectively protected by the Fourth Amendment. Because I hold that municipal officers are not soldiers for the purposes of this question, I need not reach the question of whether the occupation at issue in this case constitutes quartering, though I suspect it would not.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.

Ceiling fan posted:

I don't know what the hell make them think it was OK to shoot at a building with a red crescent on it (MSF operational security requires them to ALWAYS mark their facilities,) but they loving knew better than to to commit a no poo poo war crime.

I'm going to guess that had something to do with it.

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

Ceiling fan posted:

You're making a couple of big assumptions here. You're assuming that if they told the Taliban about the hospital that the Taliban would have been able to tell individual militants about it. The whole point of the Taliban is that they're decentralized. You're also assuming that individual militants would have cared to follow instructions concerning the hospital.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Ceiling fan posted:

Here are a few possibilities:

1. The military hosed up bad.

2. Some type of force engaged US forces from close enough to the MSF hospital to result in US forces either intentionally or unintentionally attacking the hospital.

3. The US military deliberately flew out and just blew up a bunch of doctors and patients for fun, knowing full well that it would hit international news, for no reason whatsoever and with full knowledge that it was a war crime.

If your first pick is option 3, you might also think jet fuel can't melt steel beams.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

mlmp08 posted:

If your first pick is option 3, you might also think jet fuel can't melt steel beams.
I like this new version of Jeff Foxworthy

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

mlmp08 posted:

But jet fuel can't melt steel beams, it weakens them to the point they lose their structural strength.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Rincewinds posted:

But jet fuel can't melt steel beams, it weakens them to the point they lose their structural strength.

That quote has layers, you see

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Rincewinds posted:

:thejoke:

Think about it for a bit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Boon posted:

That quote has layers, you see

So it's like a parfait? Everyone likes parfaits. You ever ask anyone "your want a parfait" and they're like "no I don't want no drat parfait I don't like parfaits"

• Locked thread