Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Got a huawei watch. It's a nice one. Def looks a lot nicer than my old first gen LG G watch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Nitrousoxide posted:

Got a huawei watch. It's a nice one. Def looks a lot nicer than my old first gen LG G watch

Leftys unite :hfive:

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Turnquiet posted:

So maybe I was never the wear power user the rest of you are but using my 360 on the 6S has been pretty good. I lose reply from the wrist for some apps but it is clear that Google is making their apps and platform on iOS Not poo poo these days. Last time I tried Google stuff on an iPhone two years ago was a poo poo show, but this is pretty good.

It's good that you like it and it works for you but that doesn't change the fact that the iOS version of Wear is very limited compared to Android. Perhaps you've noticed already that you have to keep the app running at all times in the background or the watch immediately disconnects. You also can't download third part apps with it. It doesn't interact with the native calendar or reminder apps on the iPhone. Even the integration with actual Google apps on iOS, like Gmail, is pretty limited.

Basically, if you spent a couple days using it on an Android phone (assuming you were set up and using it for other things already) you would quickly see that the iOS version is poo poo. It takes a niche device and makes it even more niche - an electronic clock that has to be charged once a day and sends you notifications you have to use your actual phone to do anything with. Wear (and the Apple watch) have gotten better than that but this integration goes back to wearables 101.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Got to check out the new 360 models at best buy yesterday. They had two 42mm (one men's and one women's) on display and two of the 46mm on display (one sliver with the brown leather band and one black with the metal band.) They only have the 42mm black (with black leather band) and 42mm women's gold for sale right now.

42mm is definitely too small for my wrist, so I'll have to wait for the 46mm to come in stock. It really does feel a lot more like jewelry than the last gen, display is much nicer and it is quite a bit snappier. In all, I think I'm certainly going to upgrade as soon as I can order a 46mm. One thing that gave me pause is one of the models they had on display already had an LCD defect of two reddish spots. Of course, that defect may be why it was slotted as a display model in the first place rather than sold. But I'm not too worried about it since moto support has been great.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

bull3964 posted:

Got to check out the new 360 models at best buy yesterday. They had two 42mm (one men's and one women's) on display and two of the 46mm on display (one sliver with the brown leather band and one black with the metal band.) They only have the 42mm black (with black leather band) and 42mm women's gold for sale right now.

42mm is definitely too small for my wrist, so I'll have to wait for the 46mm to come in stock. It really does feel a lot more like jewelry than the last gen, display is much nicer and it is quite a bit snappier. In all, I think I'm certainly going to upgrade as soon as I can order a 46mm. One thing that gave me pause is one of the models they had on display already had an LCD defect of two reddish spots. Of course, that defect may be why it was slotted as a display model in the first place rather than sold. But I'm not too worried about it since moto support has been great.

My 46mm came in just a couple hours ago. I thought it'd be laughably huge but it feels nice.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

My 46mm came in just a couple hours ago. I thought it'd be laughably huge but it feels nice.
What colour combo did you go for?

My biggest concern with upgrading form the OG 360 is that the ambient mode looks really ugly on the new one. Can anyone who has owned both comment on this?

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Tunga posted:

My biggest concern with upgrading form the OG 360 is that the ambient mode looks really ugly on the new one. Can anyone who has owned both comment on this?

I don't own the gen2 360 but do have the Huawei. All I can say is if you are looking for a sharp, bright screen, look no further than the Huawei. It's crispy as hell. I've seen the gen 2 360 in-person and was not impressed. Seems much of the same as the gen1. An LCD, even with a light sensor, isn't the best choice for a smartwatch in my opinion.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I don't know if I can agree with it looking the same as the 1st gen. My impressions last night were of a much improved display.

Ambient is pretty low res though, Huawei has the edge there. I really don't know if I'll have ambient turned on though. I didn't miss it on my 1st gen.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

http://www.droid-life.com/2015/10/02/moto-360-2nd-gen-review/

Droid life has their full review up, they had this to say about battery life on the new Moto 360.

quote:

In my first few days of testing, I was actively tracking battery life, but eventually stopped because it just wasn’t an issue. Initially, I was using “always-on” mode, since that’s the most aesthetically pleasing and preferred mode, as it lets your watch screen remain on to help it keep that traditional watch look. In the first three days with “always-on” mode on, I never once came close to killing the watch in a single day. Well, day 2 I did drop to 22% at 8PM, but that because I had to factory reset the watch mid-way through the day to connect to a new phone. If you have ever factory reset an Android Wear device, you know how much battery that can eat up, since the process takes up to 30 minutes to complete and sync to a phone. Otherwise, with “always-on” mode enabled, I saw numbers of 51% and 36% remaining in the early AM hours the following day.

After testing “always-on” mode, I then switched it off for a few to see how much longer the battery would last. In the first couple of days, I was going to bed at night with 70% still on the watch. That’s kind of nuts. Motorola says it should last up to two days and I actually believe that it will, depending on your usage level.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Tunga posted:

Silver, unadorned bezel/body, metal link bracelet.

The is the ambient mode of the face I'm using. It looks blue in the photo but I can assure you it's solid white on black.

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

bull3964 posted:

Droid life has their full review up, they had this to say about battery life on the new Moto 360.

Review unit was 46mm, so the 400mAh battery vs. a 300mAh in the 42mm.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

Ixian posted:

It's good that you like it and it works for you but that doesn't change the fact that the iOS version of Wear is very limited compared to Android. Perhaps you've noticed already that you have to keep the app running at all times in the background or the watch immediately disconnects. You also can't download third part apps with it. It doesn't interact with the native calendar or reminder apps on the iPhone. Even the integration with actual Google apps on iOS, like Gmail, is pretty limited.

Basically, if you spent a couple days using it on an Android phone (assuming you were set up and using it for other things already) you would quickly see that the iOS version is poo poo. It takes a niche device and makes it even more niche - an electronic clock that has to be charged once a day and sends you notifications you have to use your actual phone to do anything with. Wear (and the Apple watch) have gotten better than that but this integration goes back to wearables 101.

I get native calendar notifications. I used wear on android for a few months with my n6 so I know what it does, I guess I just liked notifications on my wrist and didn't notice much else. Having a workplace with lovely android mdm and dlp policies made it much more odious to use android and have one device for work/personal calendars and communications versus just switching to iOS. I guess what I am saying is that compared to 2 years ago Google apps on iOS are actually good, and wear is good enough to make my 360 still useful.

In fine, wear on a 6S soots mai kneads.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

hotsauce posted:

I don't own the gen2 360 but do have the Huawei. All I can say is if you are looking for a sharp, bright screen, look no further than the Huawei. It's crispy as hell. I've seen the gen 2 360 in-person and was not impressed. Seems much of the same as the gen1. An LCD, even with a light sensor, isn't the best choice for a smartwatch in my opinion.
I'm not concerned about the regular "on" screen, the OG 360 is plenty good and sharp enough for that, never had any complaints about it. It's only the always-on mode that is a concern because the original model doesn't seem to reduce the quality so I don't really understand why the new one does given everything else about it has had a big upgrade.

The Huawei looks nice and I'm sure the screen is nicer before but I prefer the style of the 360 and I'd prefer 46mm.

And then part of me thinks I could just wait for next year. Pretty torn.

bull3964 posted:

This is notable because it's the first review I've seen of the 46mm version and it gives a much better impression than reports of the 42mm (which were that it has improved and is fine, but nothing like this). Thanks for making the decision even harder.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
I get up at 7am with my watch and at 1am its about dead with pretty heavy use including gps and wifi enabled. On a 42mm. You shouldn't be worried about battery.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Got my RMA'd 360 back today and they sent a fully boxed refurb which is nice. A fully boxed product will make it a ton easier to sell. That also means I have a 2nd charger.

Anyone with a new and old 360 want to give the official word on the old chargers with the new (preferably 46mm) watches? Moto says they won't work, some people say they do.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

bull3964 posted:

Got my RMA'd 360 back today and they sent a fully boxed refurb which is nice. A fully boxed product will make it a ton easier to sell. That also means I have a 2nd charger.

Anyone with a new and old 360 want to give the official word on the old chargers with the new (preferably 46mm) watches? Moto says they won't work, some people say they do.

The tech is the same, The problem comes with the lugs not being flush with the bottom. So the back may not touch the qi surface

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Don Lapre posted:

The tech is the same, The problem comes with the lugs not being flush with the bottom. So the back may not touch the qi surface

Yeah, that's what I was wondering about with the fitment of the 46mm on the old 360's charger. You'd think it would work fine since the lugs should be spaced further out than the band attachment on the old one.

Basically, I'm trying to decide if I should sell the 2nd charger with my old 360 to sweeten the pot or hang on to it. I suppose I could always wait until I get my hands on a 2nd gen, but I have no idea when that will be at this point.

Edit: As I type this, I see that my local Best Buy is claiming they have a 46mm in stock. Ordered for in store pickup, let's see if they are lying.

Double Edit: Went to the local best buy right by my office instead and picked up a silver 46mm. They just got them in last night. You wouldn't KNOW it because they have the shelves empty with no note and have them locked in a back room somewhere. But they have them.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Oct 2, 2015

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
I'm seriously thinking about going with a gimmicky gold knurl black case 46mm HELP ME

Good thing they're out of stock on motomaker.

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

Don Lapre posted:

I get up at 7am with my watch and at 1am its about dead with pretty heavy use including gps and wifi enabled. On a 42mm. You shouldn't be worried about battery.

Moto 360 gen 2 has standalone GPS?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

concise posted:

Moto 360 gen 2 has standalone GPS?

Sorry, gps paired with the phone

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

Ah, got it. What do you use it for? Maps on all the time?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

concise posted:

Ah, got it. What do you use it for? Maps on all the time?

Lots of trips to customers homes so i ok google navigate through the watch.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

FYI, the 46mm charges fine on the old charger. Fit isn't isn't as secure as the correct charger, but it does fit well enough to charge properly.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Annnnnnd I'm gonna have to exchange my new 360 as there's yellow discoloration at the edge of the screen in two spots. I sure hope this isn't a widespread flaw.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

bull3964 posted:

Annnnnnd I'm gonna have to exchange my new 360 as there's yellow discoloration at the edge of the screen in two spots. I sure hope this isn't a widespread flaw.

You might want to wait a day or two, this is a common problem with LCD bonding and often goes away.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Yep, its the glue still curing.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Kept the new 46mm 360 off the charger from 9:30pm until 4:00pm and had 31% left with ambient display on. I have to say that's way better than I expected. This is a great little device.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

Kept the new 46mm 360 off the charger from 9:30pm until 4:00pm and had 31% left with ambient display on. I have to say that's way better than I expected. This is a great little device.
Stop it, I don't need to replace my watch after one year.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, in hoping it might go away, but at the same time I want to be sure I can return it soon enough that I can exchange it at the store rather than RMA it.

ok_dirdel
Apr 27, 2003

Don Lapre posted:

Glad to hear you're getting solid battery life on the 42mm, because I think the 46mm might be a bit big for my tastes.

I think the 1st gen display at Best Buy was better, because you could actually put the watch on. The new display has a thick white plastic bracelet attached to it, which makes it hard to get a good feel for the fit. To be fair, the old display was pretty loving trashed, so I can see why they went that route.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011
I know I'm probably in a minority here, but I'd like to upgrade from my original moto 360 to a square watch. I don't like the way notifications display on the round face, and a Smartwatch looking like a regular non-nerd watch isn't a thing I'm concerned about.

With that said, what's the square watch of choice? Sony Smartwatch 3? Or is there something killer on the way worth waiting for?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Pork Pie Hat posted:

With that said, what's the square watch of choice? Sony Smartwatch 3? Or is there something killer on the way worth waiting for?
I think the Sony Smartwatch 3 and the Asus Zenwatch 2 are the two best square options right now.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

This might seem like a dumb question but where is there a good source of watch faces? I discovered the Moto Connect app which allowed me to make the (very) simple face that I'm kind of happy with but what I'd really like a gallery that isn't filled with wall to wall poo poo to search through. All I really want is the Elegance grey fade to black background so I can put it in Moto Connect but I have no idea how to make that myself and searching for a gradient image on GIS came up with the worst banded compressed JPGs ever.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

This might seem like a dumb question but where is there a good source of watch faces? I discovered the Moto Connect app which allowed me to make the (very) simple face that I'm kind of happy with but what I'd really like a gallery that isn't filled with wall to wall poo poo to search through. All I really want is the Elegance grey fade to black background so I can put it in Moto Connect but I have no idea how to make that myself and searching for a gradient image on GIS came up with the worst banded compressed JPGs ever.
What desktop OS are you using? You can trivially makes a gradiented square in ten seconds with Paint.NET (Windows). And I guess GIMP or something for Mac. Or give me two RGB values or whatever and I'll make it for you.

As for the watchface question, Google hasn't done a very good job for this. I can recommend Minimal & Elegant, Pujie Black and Timr Face as some well made faces, and the first two are very customisable.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

Tunga posted:

I think the Sony Smartwatch 3 and the Asus Zenwatch 2 are the two best square options right now.

Neat thanks. Are they miles apart in terms of hardware?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Pork Pie Hat posted:

Neat thanks. Are they miles apart in terms of hardware?
Zenwatch uses a Snapdragon 400, Smartwatch uses a Broadcom BCM23550, I have no idea about the relative performance. The S400 is used in lots of other watches and performs well.
Smartwatch is LCD, Zenwatch is AMOLED.
Smartwatch has NFC, not sure if that even does anything yet, does Android Pay support it? I'm in the UK so not really familiar as the service doesn't exist here.
Smartwatch is IP68, Zenwatch is IP67, though probably equally waterproof for the purpose of being a watch.

That's about it I think.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Tunga posted:

What desktop OS are you using? You can trivially makes a gradiented square in ten seconds with Paint.NET (Windows). And I guess GIMP or something for Mac. Or give me two RGB values or whatever and I'll make it for you.

As for the watchface question, Google hasn't done a very good job for this. I can recommend Minimal & Elegant, Pujie Black and Timr Face as some well made faces, and the first two are very customisable.

I'm on Mac but I'll admit to knowing next to nothing about how pictures work. I'm in the middle of nowhere stealing WiFi at the moment but when i get to civilization again I'll see if I can't figure out how to give you those values.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Tunga posted:

Zenwatch uses a Snapdragon 400, Smartwatch uses a Broadcom BCM23550, I have no idea about the relative performance. The S400 is used in lots of other watches and performs well.
Smartwatch is LCD, Zenwatch is AMOLED.
Smartwatch has NFC, not sure if that even does anything yet, does Android Pay support it? I'm in the UK so not really familiar as the service doesn't exist here.
Smartwatch is IP68, Zenwatch is IP67, though probably equally waterproof for the purpose of being a watch.

That's about it I think.

No, they both use the Snapdragon 400. All currently available Android Wear watches use the same Snapdragon 400 processor, except the original Moto 360.

It's worth noting that the Smartwatch 3's display is a transflective LCD, this means that the display can be seen without powering the backlight if there is enough ambient light, such as in a bright office environment or outdoors during the day. This fact, combined with the fact that it has a built-in GPS chip and that it's hard to find any band option other than the rubber fitness band, make it more of a "fitness oriented" smartwatch. The Smartwatch 3 charges with a standard micro USB port, the same as most Android phones, which is nice in terms of not needing a proprietary charger but means you need to fiddle with opening the rubber protective flap with your fingernail and lining up the cable each time you need to charge it.

The Zenwatch 2 is available in 2 sizes and a few different color / band choices, making it more of a "fashion oriented" watch. It requires a proprietary charge base to charge.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

I'm on Mac but I'll admit to knowing next to nothing about how pictures work. I'm in the middle of nowhere stealing WiFi at the moment but when i get to civilization again I'll see if I can't figure out how to give you those values.
Just tell me what percentage greys you want from this and which compass point each is at.

(Aside: Googling "grey shades" to find this gave me a lot of results about a certain film.)

Rastor posted:

No, they both use the Snapdragon 400. All currently available Android Wear watches use the same Snapdragon 400 processor, except the original Moto 360.
I can't find any official spec for the thing that lists the CPU/SoC but there are lots of references online to it using a Broadcom chip. I honestly don't know and could be wrong.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Oct 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

Tunga posted:

I can't find any official spec for the thing that lists the CPU/SoC but there are lots of references online to it using a Broadcom chip. I honestly don't know and could be wrong.

Sony's website says the CPU is a "Quad ARM A7, 1.2 Ghz" but as I have literally no idea what that is it could well be a Snapdragon 400. :iiam: (to me).

I'm in the UK too, so I'm not sure what use I'd have for NFC in a watch at the moment, but I live in hope that we'll get Android Pay sometime this decade. Thank you for all your effort listing the differences between the two watches for me, it's much appreciated.