Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

I've been reading the thread a bit and I think I know the answer, but just to confirm:

If a particular phone model isn't supported/developed on by XDA, then there generally won't be an easy way to install custom ROMs on it?

My girlfriend finally upgraded her old piece of poo poo Samsung Core (GT-I8260L) and I've been playing around with it out of curiousity (I've always had iPhones). Mostly I wanted to do some sort of fresh install of the OS without all the carrier bullshit, similar to reinstalling the OS on a branded laptop, but from what I can tell there's no simple way of doing that?

Right. While AOSP android does exist, it's not the same sense as Windows. TouchWiz is deeply integrated into the OS, not just a few apps slapped on top, and drivers are fairly unique to each device. There isn't a device agnostic "clean Android".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Asked this in the tablet thread before thinking to ask here:

quote:

I'm thinking about putting a custom rom on my Shield before I activate my replacement, but I don't really know where to look for which ones are good or bad. I've found plenty of instructions for rooting and loading them on, but don't really know what to look for as far as roms go. I've always preferred staying as close to stock Android as possible, so could I just download copy of 5.1.1 and flash that on? Are there really useful aspects of a custom rom that I should be aware of?

Also curious if I'll still be able to use LTE, I assume it shouldn't be a problem since people do this kind of thing with phones all the time, but don't know for sure.

I should mention that if they do ask for my tablet back I'll happily give it. But if they let me keep it i'd like to make sure I can use it since I guess part of the replacement process is them bricking my old tablet. I have no intention of selling it or any nefarious business like that so if the thing blows up my house I'm likely the only one who'll suffer for it.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
Amplify seems to not bootloop anymore, as long as your xposed is the latest version FYI.

DarkSun6890
Sep 16, 2005
The Magic Turkey Sandwich Box and I
I have a POS LG Lucid that I somehow rooted and loaded with VS840ZV9 4.0.4. Lately, It's been a buggy unusable paperweight. Unresponsive to touch, defaulting to long presses, apps force quit, and my keyboard loves to hide while I'm texting. Is there a stable custom rom I can try out since I've already gone through the rooting process, or should I just unroot and restore to the official firmware? I'm hoping to get a newish phone sometime soon, but I have to deal with this until then. I miss my OG Droid.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
How long until the nexus 5x is rooted?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

r0ck0 posted:

How long until the nexus 5x is rooted?

As I posted in the other thread, immediately. Nexus devices don't require anything other than ADB to root.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Technically it'll need a kernel with SELinux disabled, right? Or has that been solved for Marshmallow already? Not that this should delay things anyway.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Oh poo poo, I totally forgot about the kernel nonsense.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Tunga posted:

Technically it'll need a kernel with SELinux disabled, right? Or has that been solved for Marshmallow already? Not that this should delay things anyway.

Yep, the marshmallow previews are already rootable with a kernel flash.

Shachi
Nov 1, 2004

I'm a simple man. I like pretty, dark-haired women and breakfast food.
I have an awful question. I just recently hopped onto the Android train and got a Note 5 after having iPhones since the 3G. With iOS there is a plethora of good reasons to jailbreak. Is there any major reason to root these days beyond :filez: ? I just haven't run into anything I can't do on this phone.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Adblock and backing up games (especially because Google won't just kick off any games that don't back up to your account) are the big'uns.

Apparently AdGuard does ad-blocking through an on-device VPN server or something so no root needed, but it's still got some growing pains. Still, we're keeping an eye on it.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Backup should be resolved in Marshmallow, Google claim they will now backup all app data automatically. It remains to be seen how well this really works in practice.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme
It's sort of down to ad-block, gravitybox, and inertia at this point, unless you're just really enthusiastic about breaking your phone repeatedly or you're developing system software.

(I'm enthusiastic about breaking my phone repeatedly :saddowns:)

On the other hand, it's pretty trivial at this point, even for Samsung devices, and does not do any inherent damage just by itself.

Whatever your various reasons for jailbreaking iOs, see if Android does them on its own, I guess. It probably does.

E: That’s a whole goddamn lot of data for some users. Not that I doubt that they'd do it. Madmen.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

ArcMage posted:

On the other hand, it's pretty trivial at this point, even for Samsung devices, and does not do any inherent damage just by itself.
It disables Android Pay, which may be an issue for more users, at least as this becomes more of a thing. I'm not sure if anyone has found a workaround for this yet but it didn't sound like it would be possible to do so.

Shachi
Nov 1, 2004

I'm a simple man. I like pretty, dark-haired women and breakfast food.

ArcMage posted:

It's sort of down to ad-block, gravitybox, and inertia at this point, unless you're just really enthusiastic about breaking your phone repeatedly or you're developing system software.

(I'm enthusiastic about breaking my phone repeatedly :saddowns:)

Whatever your various reasons for jailbreaking iOs, see if Android does them on its own, I guess. It probably does.

E: That’s a whole goddamn lot of data for some users. Not that I doubt that they'd do it. Madmen.

Ok thanks. That's pretty much what I wanted to hear. So far I haven't run into anything I can't do. However, as a recent convert from iOS I'm just ecstatic I can move files around in the file sytem with impunity, and can do poo poo like, I dunno, change my text tone to something custom without having to sync etc. I know it's benign to most but goddamn...it's the little things.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Shachi posted:

I have an awful question. I just recently hopped onto the Android train and got a Note 5 after having iPhones since the 3G. With iOS there is a plethora of good reasons to jailbreak. Is there any major reason to root these days beyond :filez: ? I just haven't run into anything I can't do on this phone.
Along with what the others said, the big ones for me are being able to move stuff to the SD card and being able to control "intents" (i.e. which apps can react to the media buttons or run when different events happen) using Autostarts. I'm currently on my first phone that I didn't immediately root, and it's been pretty good other than not being able to move huge games to the SD card.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Shachi posted:

Ok thanks. That's pretty much what I wanted to hear. So far I haven't run into anything I can't do. However, as a recent convert from iOS I'm just ecstatic I can move files around in the file sytem with impunity, and can do poo poo like, I dunno, change my text tone to something custom without having to sync etc. I know it's benign to most but goddamn...it's the little things.

It really is.

Stock Android has served my purposes lately, and I used to be an advocate for rooting. Now I basically only do it for one of these reasons:

1. The device gets an update that's somehow worse (looking at you, Nvidia, for releasing an update so lovely you rolled back the changes after a month)
2. There's an update available but not OTA yet.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

It really is.

Stock Android has served my purposes lately, and I used to be an advocate for rooting. Now I basically only do it for one of these reasons:

1. The device gets an update that's somehow worse (looking at you, Nvidia, for releasing an update so lovely you rolled back the changes after a month)
2. There's an update available but not OTA yet.

All my (not already mentioned) reasons are just a logical progression from my crippling autism. Viper4Android as a replacement for the built in EQ, and Xposed Additions so I can change tracks + play/pause + flashlight without turning the screen on. Oh, and AppSettings so I can force the OS to keep stuff resident in memory, because Sony likes to kick poo poo out of memory a bit too aggressively for my tastes.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Ugh, so I need to temporarily root my phone so I can use it as a Windows usb installer. I have no computer that works at the moment. Is this possible? The one click things in the OP do not seem to be for this phone.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Khanstant posted:

Ugh, so I need to temporarily root my phone so I can use it as a Windows usb installer. I have no computer that works at the moment. Is this possible? The one click things in the OP do not seem to be for this phone.

Is this really easier than buying a 16gb USB flash drive?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Is this really easier than buying a 16gb USB flash drive?

No! I intended to use the disc I have but it doesn't work. I don't have a computer to make my own USB. I am just going to buy a USB with Windows 7 pro on it from amazon. gently caress it.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Apparently AdGuard does ad-blocking through an on-device VPN server or something so no root needed, but it's still got some growing pains. Still, we're keeping an eye on it.

UPDATE: Never mind, they expect you to pay a subscription for ad-block. Vultures. Unless they get scooped we're probably still stuck rooting our phones to ad-block. (Also I'm curious as to what's the deal with Firefox-for-Android and uMatrix that they don't go together.)

EDIT: And yeah, there's no drive-by cryptolocker or whatever (probably) for unrooted phones, but Android security doesn't stop social engineering attacks for poo poo and Google won't keep their ad rotation clear of 'em.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Sep 29, 2015

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Khanstant posted:

No! I intended to use the disc I have but it doesn't work. I don't have a computer to make my own USB. I am just going to buy a USB with Windows 7 pro on it from amazon. gently caress it.

Do you have literally zero friends or family with a computer?

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Sir Unimaginative posted:

UPDATE: Never mind, they expect you to pay a subscription for ad-block. Vultures. Unless they get scooped we're probably still stuck rooting our phones to ad-block. (Also I'm curious as to what's the deal with Firefox-for-Android and uMatrix that they don't go together.)

Firefox on Android and uBlock Origin work fine together, what problem are you having?

Origin = The proper, original one by the original developer, gorhill.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

wooger posted:

Firefox on Android and uBlock Origin work fine together, what problem are you having?

Origin = The proper, original one by the original developer, gorhill.

uMatrix is more than just adblock. It's a full-on NoScript+Ghostery replacement that lets you filter all on-page content by subdomain.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

Do you have literally zero friends or family with a computer?

I live in a different state than where my friends or family who could help live. Most of my new state friends literally don't have computers, or if they do they are not running Windows 7, let alone Win 7 Pro. It's a really absurd situation.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Khanstant posted:

I live in a different state than where my friends or family who could help live. Most of my new state friends literally don't have computers, or if they do they are not running Windows 7, let alone Win 7 Pro. It's a really absurd situation.

I don't think you have to have a Windows 7 Pro computer to make Windows 7 Pro installation media. As long as you have a product key, you can download the ISO from Microsoft and create your installation media.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I don't think you have to have a Windows 7 Pro computer to make Windows 7 Pro installation media. As long as you have a product key, you can download the ISO from Microsoft and create your installation media.

This is correct, the only requirement to use Microsoft's tool is any Windows after Windows 2000

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

I'm getting to the acceptance stage that I will not be rooting my new 6P when it comes in. Is there any reason for me to unlock the bootloader, then? Or reasons not to?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Sub Rosa posted:

I'm getting to the acceptance stage that I will not be rooting my new 6P when it comes in. Is there any reason for me to unlock the bootloader, then? Or reasons not to?

One reason to unlock the bootloader is that you can flash stock images without losing data.

On the Nexus 5 for instance, there was a bug under KitKat where you could completely break WiFi by using the WiFi hotspot. It would corrupt the wpa_supplicant file causing WiFi to get stuck on "Turning on..." and there were two fixes: using root, delete, rename, or move the corrupt file and reboot which would make the system recreate the file or reflash the system partition without wiping. As long as the bootloader was unlocked either was trivial but with a locked bootloader you'd have to reset the device (and unlock the bootloader anyway) in order to fix the problem.

I don't see the downside in unlocking the bootloader immediately but there's certainly a possibility for inconvenience if you don't.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

LastInLine posted:

On the Nexus 5 for instance, there was a bug under KitKat where you could completely break WiFi by using the WiFi hotspot. It would corrupt the wpa_supplicant file causing WiFi to get stuck on "Turning on..." and there were two fixes: using root, delete, rename, or move the corrupt file and reboot which would make the system recreate the file or reflash the system partition without wiping. As long as the bootloader was unlocked either was trivial but with a locked bootloader you'd have to reset the device (and unlock the bootloader anyway) in order to fix the problem.
Wonder if this issue persists on the Nexus 6 on 5.1.1? I don't have mine anymore, but when I did, out of the box it had a very similar issue. After the setup, it would connect to wifi, then disconnect from wifi within a minute or so, then maybe reconnect. Going into the wifi settings, it showed as "turning on" with no way to toggle anything. Just sat there, frozen.

Eventually, after a minute or two, the phone would freeze totally, the speakers crackle for a second and it would reboot. Rinse, repeat. Tried everything (adb re-imaged it over and over, cleared cache, all of it). The internet told me "my wifi radio was fried" (brand new phone) so I gave up and exchanged it.

Never dawned on me to janitor it by rooting out of the box and deleting system files. Oh well.

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Oct 4, 2015

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
The only "downside" of unlocking is directly related to the reason it wipes when you unlock, security of your data stored on the device itself. If it's unlocked anyone who has physical access to your device can bypass most software security measures almost trivially.

I don't know if Android's device encryption changes things here or not.

If you don't care about that however there's no reason to leave it locked IMO.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

wolrah posted:

The only "downside" of unlocking is directly related to the reason it wipes when you unlock, security of your data stored on the device itself. If it's unlocked anyone who has physical access to your device can bypass most software security measures almost trivially.

Encryption kinda obviously helps protect data, if your device is turned off, and you've set it to require a key on boot. It's only as strong as your key, of course.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
So I ran into a Samsung Verizon Galaxy S6. Yes this means locked bootloader . The price was too cheap to ignore it so I bought the thing... hoping maybe root might be achievable at some point.

I've done some reading and it seems the person that owned the phone updated it to the latest OG7 firmware which is OF COURSE unrootable, unexploitable, uneverythingable. Figures. In any case, 2 questions. Is there any hope for root and lastly can the stagefright exploit help in this case?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

ArcMage posted:

Encryption kinda obviously helps protect data, if your device is turned off, and you've set it to require a key on boot. It's only as strong as your key, of course.

If the key is stored plaintext somewhere, it doesn't really help protect data. It's not an unreasonable concern to have about anything these days.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

hotsauce posted:

Wonder if this issue persists on the Nexus 6 on 5.1.1?

I haven't seen it since KitKat but I'm also not using the hotspot often. It was easily replicable on KitKat for me though, I could do it at will.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

wolrah posted:

Exactly how much security I'm giving up is sort of exactly what I'm still wondering. In the past, there were things like Titanium Backup that were non-optional so I accepted that I was using a fundamentally insecure device. I feel like with the 6P I'm losing more than I gain with rooting since I'll be wanting the monthly OTA updates, and so on. But it doesn't seem like I'm gaining too too much by unlocking, and I'm not clear how much security I give up.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Sub Rosa posted:

Exactly how much security I'm giving up is sort of exactly what I'm still wondering. In the past, there were things like Titanium Backup that were non-optional so I accepted that I was using a fundamentally insecure device. I feel like with the 6P I'm losing more than I gain with rooting since I'll be wanting the monthly OTA updates, and so on. But it doesn't seem like I'm gaining too too much by unlocking, and I'm not clear how much security I give up.

What you're losing is the security of your data should it get stolen by someone interested in getting your data. If it's unlocked you could, in theory, flash things to make the device less secure (like an SE Linux permissive kernel) or could use it to gain access in other ways. Really it's all poo poo that won't happen because if the device is taken they're just going to wipe and sell it.

It should be noted there's a difference between unlocking it and rooting it. If you unlock it and leave it stock you'll still get your OTAs just fine. If you root, however, you'll have to download the factory image and fastboot flash the /system image (which usually happens faster than the OTA gets to you).

Personally if it was me in your situation I would unlock the bootloader immediately and not do anything else. You can relock it any time you want without consequence if you decide you'll never need to fastboot flash anything but it doesn't work the other way in that if you decide you want to do it later it carries a cost.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

How does device encryption parse with this?

Yeah, I actually just flashed the new 5.1.1 build on my Nexus 4. I'm familiar with how that works. I've had to flash a number of patched together radios to have LTE on it. Another thing that will no longer be a worry on the new phone.

But I guess the point is I have no idea yet what will be a worry with the new phone, and there always could be. Unlock and then lock later if I'm happy seems like good advice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Sub Rosa posted:

If you (or any employer controlling accounts you may have configured on your device) have legitimate reason to believe that someone might want to get the data stored there you might want to think twice.

If you're not worried about that, I say unlock it so you have the flexibility to do something later without wiping if you need to.

Sub Rosa posted:

How does device encryption parse with this?
It protects you against people accessing your /data partition without knowing your PIN/password/whatever from a cold boot. Once past that stage it's just normal Android security. Someone could still flash something in to your /system partition that allowed them remote access or let them log the key when entered, but the threat is cut down significantly from anyone interested who happens upon your device to someone actively targeting you who can get control of your device for a few minutes but then get it back to you unnoticed.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Oct 5, 2015