Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I was also expecting something cool to come out of the helicopter pilot. Why do we never see his face?

They already did that with the main character, you want them to use the same gimmick twice in one game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Well all the dudes from MGS3 on Snake's team ended up being major characters, the pilot could have been like Kenneth Baker or some dumb poo poo

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

It wouldn't have worked with TPP's setting, but I wouldn't have minded Peter Stillman or someone like that being referenced again.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

after Ground Zeroes, all Diamond Dogs helicopters are staffed entirely with Big Boss body doubles just in case

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
Pequod is also Big Boss

he's been watching over you for 9+ years

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Forget the helicopter pilot, who the hell was flying the Nomad in 4?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

SeANMcBAY posted:

I hope it was some sort of advanced autopilot because otherwise we have an uncredited mystery player.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

SeANMcBAY posted:

Strangelove's ghost AI.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Speedball posted:

I hope it was some sort of advanced autopilot because otherwise we have an uncredited mystery player.

If I'm remembering correctly, they briefly show two pilots during some of the briefings.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

SeANMcBAY posted:

If I'm remembering correctly, they briefly show two pilots during some of the briefings.

This is correct, though they never mention who the pilots are or why they're piloting a flying anime base.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

SeANMcBAY posted:

Huh, really? Then I guess Philanthropy is bigger than just Snake and Otacon.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
They've learned not to ask questions.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
FOBs are such a solvable problem that people are now speedrunning them, and there ain't a drat thing anybody can do about it.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

Speedball posted:

Huh, really? Then I guess Philanthropy is bigger than just Snake and Otacon.

they read about all the crazy poo poo that kept happening to Mother Base and decided two soldiers was good enough

also, flying secret base > stationary oil rig in the middle of the ocean that everybody knows about because Big Boss declared war on the entire world.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

I was also expecting something cool to come out of the helicopter pilot. Why do we never see his face?

You can see his face in the cutscene where Quiet shoots the jet. Also his voice in that cutscene is completely different from his voice when he's telling you he arrived at the LZ

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
"This is Pequod, coming in hot."

That picture of DD with the helmet :3:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

And then he crashes and dies during Metallic Archaea. :(

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
rear end in a top hat nobodies like The Viscount and Malak get metal gear wiki pages but Pequod doesn't. :(

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

Aurain posted:

"Les Enfant Terribles", Zero called it...

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Aurain posted:

Wasn't that queqag?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

This could be solved by removing Reflex mode from multiplayer. It never even occurred to me that you could turn it on. It's stupid OP in singleplayer, its even stupider on multiplayer. If he didn't have reflex he would have gotten lit the gently caress up multiple times.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Detective No. 27 posted:

Strangelove's ghost AI.

"Uncle Hal? Why does the Nomad broadcast weird love poems about some lady named Joy?"

"That's just Grandma, Sunny. Go back to your eggs."

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
How many total stealth missions do i have to do to beat the game?

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Dapper_Swindler posted:

How many total stealth missions do i have to do to beat the game?

None. If you're at any point in a stage where you have no yellow side ops or new (actually new) missions to play, you can do side ops or replay older missions until new plot missions trigger.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Broseph Brostar posted:

Wasn't that queqag?

No, Quequeg's the designation of a different chopper. The designation for Snake's chopper is always Pequod, much like how the US President's airplane is always Air Force 1, so even if you manage to get one of your choppers destroyed in the field, the next one will show up and still be called Pequod.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Total Stealth missions are easy as poo poo if you've been Total Stealthing all the missions anyway. Everyone is so conveniently far apart from one another.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

You can also have Quiet use cover fire to distract guards too. Or kill everyone.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Vikar Jerome posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/NeverBeGameOver/comments/3nemv8/infiltrating_hells_kitchen/?sort=new

https://www.reddit.com/r/NeverBeGameOver/comments/3ncqfk/hells_kitchen_real_world_arg/

They are now convinced that if they find zeros hq in new york IN REAL LIFE and infiltrate it, IN REAL LIFE, something will happen. I'm thinking 9 years locked away is what will happen.

My fav post in that thread is the guy who thinks just because skullface said "if someone finds it, there are dozens of ways in" is kojima giving him permission to trespass in real life. Sure that will hold up in front of a judge.

this really is the subreddit that just keeps on giving.

This is great and I hope they do it and it's real.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

ChaosArgate posted:

No, Quequeg's the designation of a different chopper. The designation for Snake's chopper is always Pequod, much like how the US President's airplane is always Air Force 1, so even if you manage to get one of your choppers destroyed in the field, the next one will show up and still be called Pequod.

Oh I had no clue my chopper pal was dead :negative:

I like how Codetalker is too old to be fultoned but has no problem in a helicopter crash.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It's okay he's replaced by his clone after. SOLID PEQUOD.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

He goes into reflex it instantly snaps him to whoever/whatever triggered reflex. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQ6E4fbOIwQ&t=112 Almost fucks him a few seconds later when the reflex triggers late. Is this what the aim-assist is like with a controller? I play with mouse and keyboard and turned that off immediately.
I've tried doing this (but without a snap-to-guard script) and it's almost impossible to catch every alerting guard before reflex runs out, both because the reflex will trigger late after you've already moved out of the guards LOS, or because a guard will be behind girders/railings and you'll overlook it.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Doesn't pressing right analog stick always snap your camera to the one who's spotted you for Reflex?

ChaosArgate posted:

Kaz is on Queequeg, so Queequeg is probably the Air Force Two in this analogy.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I really liked the juxtaposition between the Volgin/Mantis duo. A phantom from Big Boss's past and a phantom from in his son's future.

I still really wonder what convinces Liquid to let Ocelot join up with his new Foxhound years later. I imagine Liquid's sense of irony was clouding his judgement.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Total Stealth missions are easy as poo poo if you've been Total Stealthing all the missions anyway. Everyone is so conveniently far apart from one another.

I did [Total Stealth] In the Footprints of Phantoms by throwing smoke grenades at the walker gears, walking up to them and fultoning them, and cqcing anyone I bumped into in the smoke.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Detective No. 27 posted:

I really liked the juxtaposition between the Volgin/Mantis duo. A phantom from Big Boss's past and a phantom from in his son's future.

I still really wonder what convinces Liquid to let Ocelot join up with his new Foxhound years later. I imagine Liquid's sense of irony was clouding his judgement.

Liquid's not the brightest fellow, Ocelot probably convinced him that any similarities to the man named Ocelot that he met 20 years ago were purely coincidental.

ChaosArgate fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Oct 4, 2015

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

ChaosArgate posted:

Liquid's not the brightest fellow, Ocelot probably convinced him that any similarities to the man named Ocelot that he met 20 years ago were purely coihttp://forums.somethingawful.com/usercp.phpncidental.

That seems super unlikely considering he impersonates Miller.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Domattee posted:

He goes into reflex it instantly snaps him to whoever/whatever triggered reflex. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQ6E4fbOIwQ&t=112 Almost fucks him a few seconds later when the reflex triggers late. Is this what the aim-assist is like with a controller? I play with mouse and keyboard and turned that off immediately.
I've tried doing this (but without a snap-to-guard script) and it's almost impossible to catch every alerting guard before reflex runs out, both because the reflex will trigger late after you've already moved out of the guards LOS, or because a guard will be behind girders/railings and you'll overlook it.
It's not a script, it's a function of having Aim Assist on. It's absolutely intentional and it was in Ground Zeroes as well, and yes the combination of this and Reflex Mode makes FOBs trivial where they wouldn't be if these things were disabled. The very fact that the invader decides if he gets Reflex Mode is retarded, and yes you can turn Reflex Mode off and then not have it in FOB infiltrations if for some reason you're stupid.

If they don't disable Reflex in FOBs this sort of poo poo is inevitable I'm afraid. If a good player can bum rush any single-player mission at top speed using Reflex to ice all opponents then it probably should come as no surprise that they can do the same to a FOB.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
Liquid respects Ocelot for kicking his rear end in front of his dad

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
So what the gently caress is up with Mantis and Volgin? Like, we know Volgin has super-powers. That's always been a part of his character. And, the fact that flames are what indicate that Volgin is controlling Mantis, means to me that the flames are definitely Volgin's power, independent of Mantis. Eli and Skull Face need Mantis to animate Sahelanthropus, but what does Volgin need Mantis for? What to blender those guys with helicopter blades at the beginning? Is Volgin like, really unfocused, so that Mantis doesn't really do much to help him? Does Volgin essentially not need Mantis, but Mantis hangs around him anyway because he is attracted to the strong emotion?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Snak posted:

So what the gently caress is up with Mantis and Volgin? Like, we know Volgin has super-powers. That's always been a part of his character. And, the fact that flames are what indicate that Volgin is controlling Mantis, means to me that the flames are definitely Volgin's power, independent of Mantis. Eli and Skull Face need Mantis to animate Sahelanthropus, but what does Volgin need Mantis for? What to blender those guys with helicopter blades at the beginning? Is Volgin like, really unfocused, so that Mantis doesn't really do much to help him? Does Volgin essentially not need Mantis, but Mantis hangs around him anyway because he is attracted to the strong emotion?

Volgin needs Mantis because his body is totalled. Like Venom, he's a whole load of burning lust for revenge in a comatose body, except with worse prognosis.

So Volgin's rage powers Mantis and Mantis' powers animate Volgin - he basically puppets himself. A couple of times in the game Mantis gets distracted and Volgin completely stops moving.

• Locked thread