Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

http://www.ksl.com/auto/listing/2429829?ad_cid=9

I know nothing about these but this is kinda tempting me. BMW people: good deal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howling_mad
May 11, 2014

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

http://www.ksl.com/auto/listing/2429829?ad_cid=9

I know nothing about these but this is kinda tempting me. BMW people: good deal?

If you don't know anything about them then trust me a 12 year old BMW with 145k is not the car for you.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

Senior Funkenstien posted:

It's in the works. May have a new thread up this weekend.
Rad! That Duster looks like it's in pretty great shape, can't wait to see what becomes of it.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

howling_mad posted:

If you don't know anything about them then trust me a 12 year old BMW with 145k is not the car for you.

I know that I'd need to set aside 10k a year for maint and that their cooling system is prone to expensive failures (drove a vw with plastic water pump impeller for 6 years), but I also have a love affair with i6 engines and drive 100mi a day on the freeway.

I know, its a terrible terrible idea.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
I think for 5500 bux you could get a way nicer, potentially lower miles E39.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
tbh if it's had the suspension bushings changed along with the other service that isn't a bad deal for a manual 5 series. Just be prepared to drop $600 or so on a cooling system refresh.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Cool, thanks for the info. I was definitely not gonna pay asking, I figure if it checks out I'd offer 4k.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
You're better off looking for a 540i, the 3 liter six is going to feel a bit underpowered in a 5 series. Also for that price it had better come with a stack of maintenance records.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

HotCanadianChick posted:

You're better off looking for a 540i, the 3 liter six is going to feel a bit underpowered in a 5 series. Also for that price it had better come with a stack of maintenance records.

The V8 ruins the steering on an E39 though.

I know this is unpopular on here but really the E46 330 is a much better car.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

dissss posted:

The V8 ruins the steering on an E39 though.

I know this is unpopular on here but really the E46 330 is a much better car.

Yes. (I drive an E46 330 for this reason).

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

You guys are one step away from defending owning a V6.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Powershift posted:

You guys are one step away from defending owning a V6.

Goondolences that you're too big to fit into any of the fun cars.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

HotCanadianChick posted:

Goondolences that you're too big to fit into any of the fun cars.

I fit in fun cars just fine, i'm just smart enough to recognize when they're missing cylinders or turbos.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

HotCanadianChick posted:

The meatpimp has a 530i. If you want, send him a message about his. His is super loving clean too, and it looks amazing with m-pars (the appropriate answer for all bmw wheels)

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
A BMW with 6 cylinders isn't missing any, but there's a chance that they aren't organized properly. (Correct way: In a row.) :colbert:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The Orange Mage posted:

A BMW with 6 cylinders isn't missing any, but there's a chance that they aren't organized properly. (Correct way: In a row.) :colbert:

Ahem.

:colbert:

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

BrokenKnucklez posted:

The meatpimp has a 530i. If you want, send him a message about his. His is super loving clean too, and it looks amazing with m-pars (the appropriate answer for all bmw wheels)

If his is the one I'm thinking of, it's an auto and he's posted on here bitching that it's kind of gutless. :colbert:

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

HotCanadianChick posted:

If his is the one I'm thinking of, it's an auto and he's posted on here bitching that it's kind of gutless. :colbert:

Going from north star powered sedans (which are hilariously over powered v8 front wheel drive) to rear wheel drive less power is a change. I think he owned a dts or some form of caddy before hand. It would be a good dd for just around town.

The old adage of you'll beat me all the way to the first corner applies to the 6 banger 5ers

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
The solution here is obviously S54 E39, anyone done that?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

HotCanadianChick posted:

Pretty sure the V6 Rav4 he had was faster :v:

But yeah if was gonna get a 5 series, I think I'd go ahead with the V8, mpg probably isn't far off from the 6 anyway. Also aren't the autos in the V8's better too?

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

leica posted:

Pretty sure the V6 Rav4 he had was faster :v:

But yeah if was gonna get a 5 series, I think I'd go ahead with the V8, mpg probably isn't far off from the 6 anyway. Also aren't the autos in the V8's better too?

The 530i got the better one(ZF). The 525/528 got the poo poo a brick when its wet/cold/hot/humid/other weather phenomenon GM derived tranny.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

5 series sans a V8? :colbert:
I admit yeah BMW i6s are real good but come on.

5 series v8.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Best 5 series came out before the m60 existed

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
No fuckin way would I get a BMW with an auto.

The reason I was thinking 530 vs 540 is for the motorway commute. I bet I can wring 30+ mpg out of the 6, and I'd be less likely to romp on it than I would with the 8.

But yeah, I've owned german cars before, and this is definitely a terrible idea what with all the outlandish part and work prices and the plastic cooling system.

Bibendum
Sep 5, 2003
nunc est Bibendum
That 530i acceleration wise is going to fall basically between a manual and automatic BRZ, closer to the automatic. Sure it's not crazy fast and you may have to bury your foot occasionally but anyone calling it a slow car has never driven anything older than 1990. A 1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4, considered a very fast car for it's day is slower.

Seriously. It's in the same range as the first few generations of M5. It will keep up and be a nice daily driver.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I can hit 30mpg with my 540 with the cruise set at 75 but when i mash the throttle it makes wonderful music.

I could imagine settling for an i6 if it was the only option in the car, or it was a special i6 like the E34 m5, but come on.

When there's a V8 option, it's the right option. otherwise you're still moving 3500lbs with 6 cylinders, that's basically a v6 mustang.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

The reason I was thinking 530 vs 540 is for the motorway commute. I bet I can wring 30+ mpg out of the 6, and I'd be less likely to romp on it than I would with the 8.

If I baby my 330 (same engine as that 530) on the freeway around here (hilly) I can get mid 20s, mpg wise. For normal mixed driving it gets between 20 and 21 mpg including urban driving, so yeah, same engine in a heavier car... you're not likely to get anywhere near 30 mpg unless you're driving like the world's slowest grandma.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
My 325ix's 2.5l i6 makes like 160hp and I get maybe 18mpg so don't feel bad.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I get like 16mpg hooning around town in the 540i, but i drive like a wanker, and hit WOT whenever possible.

Highway however.

Those are imperial gallons, it's still 27.3mpg us, and the trip computer is slightly conservative

And that's with the optional 3.15 rear end.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Well, yeah, I mash to the floor off every stop through second gear, and I only run 91 because you can't get 93 in kkkalifornia (goodbye mod chip) :911:

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I get about 20mpg in mixed driving with my chipped m30b34 but oh man the torque compared to your puny little 6s

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
guy my bmw with an i6 gets 18 combined and i only drive like an rear end in a top hat part of the time what do i win

post more fuckin craigslist ads

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Okay.

https://houston.craigslist.org/cto/5234037088.html

Talk me out of offering this guy $300 for his caddy.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Where does that fall on the sockington scale for rust?

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Mustache Ride posted:

Okay.

https://houston.craigslist.org/cto/5234037088.html

Talk me out of offering this guy $300 for his caddy.

At a third the asking price you risk him being annoyed enough he won't sell that glorious thing to you.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

If a craigslist seller says "no rust", there's surface rust. if they say "surface rust" there's a fist sized hole somewhere.

I don't even want to know what "rusty good for parts" would suggest.

it's possible that whole car was held together by rats, and part of your purchase agreeement sees you picking up pieces of it all along the highway. That's the picture before he tried to tow it.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Looks like that was pulled from the Gulf.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
There's two 58-59 Sedan Devilles sitting in my favorite local junkyard, and they are honestly in better shape than that in a lot of ways. However you could probably sell all the good trim on that thing for at least double or triple the asking price so go for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

godface zillah
Nov 18, 2012

A steal with over 125k invested W@W