Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Octopode posted:

What you're describing is effectively the basis of the neutral reportage principle, and it's questionable whether it applies here--mainly because it's only officially recognized as a defense in a few jurisdictions' libel laws, but also because one of the key requirements is that the statements must be reported disinterestedly. I think a reasonable case could be made based on the content of the podcast and twitter postings that this article was not published in a disinterested manner.

If neutral reportage does not apply, then the publisher actually does need to do a lot more to verify the authenticity of the statements. They can't just go "well, we verified the sources, and we're just publishing the facts as presented" and be protected from libel.

Look, we get you're so invested in the game that you will make up any old poo poo, or quote from sources that aren't academically or legally citable, but just loving stop. Just. Stop. Go and circlejerk in the brown sea if you feel the need to sustain your delusions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!
Jason @ Forbes Blog jumps the bandwagon.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonev...and-retraction/

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Madcosby posted:

these guys are going to run out of places to shop or places to get gaming news
the only place left to do both will be SC webpage
#cultswork

I guess they would be more than happy (perhaps ecstatic) to be able to buy "original" SC hardware. Pay now - get stuff in 6 months.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Xaerael posted:

Look, we get you're so invested in the game that you will make up any old poo poo, or quote from sources that aren't academically or legally citable, but just loving stop. Just. Stop. Go and circlejerk in the brown sea if you feel the need to sustain your delusions.

Why would he stop posting when he gets such good results? Never stop posting.

e: Also as any goon should know being technically correct is always the best kind of correct.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Tank Boy Ken posted:

I guess they would be more than happy (perhaps ecstatic) to be able to buy "original" SC hardware. Pay now - get stuff in 6 months.

SC is happy to announce, in partnership with Butterfly Labs, we'll be selling PC hardware on our site! Pre-order today!

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Adam Bowen posted:

We need to figure out who the judge in the forthcoming trial will be and make them a goon and see if they can hand over the company and all the money to Derek Smart so he can finally make his dream game
How is Dr Smart going to make his dream game with only $325?

sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!

Madcosby posted:

SC is happy to announce, in partnership with Butterfly Labs, we'll be selling PC hardware on our site! Pre-order today!

How much Dogecoin do you have?

Roflan
Nov 25, 2007

I find the following story: "Congress Still Bans CDC from Study of Gun Violence" less sad.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Holy christ is Forbes getting hammered. I keep getting a bunch of loading then "an error occurred while processing your request" message when trying to load that site.

Edit: Holy poo poo, I can't even get main site Forbes.

sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!
INN Chatroll Dev Tracker
http://www.cigchatmonitor.com/

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

Young Freud posted:

What about the fact that they not only tried to verify claims, recognized and ultimately ignored of unconfirmed anonymous sources and disregarded the more outlandish ones because they didn't have the evidence, but also gave Roberts a platform to defend himself on. They went above and beyond the "neutral reportage" principle.

In fact, if it does come down to a libel and defamation case, what effect does them printing Roberts' rebuttals have?

A lot depends on the judge at hand, for California's libel and defamation laws. If Sandi/CIG isn't considered some form of public figure (which she may or may not, based on California's definition), then all that needs to be proved is that the Escapist was negligent--they don't have to prove actual malice. CIG tried to lay the foundation for that by showing that other publications had refused to print the same allegations with the same information available to them. If they are a public figure, then actual malice has to be proved, and there probably isn't much chance of that (unless there's an email out there between Derek Smart and the Escapist saying something like "publish this! It'll destroy Chris Roberts!" and the statements do turn out to be false). But, essentially, it all boils down to 1) did the Escapist do what other reasonably prudent publishers would have done to verify the statements were credible and true (it's not enough to prove they were from legitimate sources--it's about the statements themselves) and 2) were the statements actually true. If either one of those is true, there's no case. If both are false, Escapist can be held liable.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Is there any chance the pubes might take the stand in court?

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

RubberBands Hurt
Dec 13, 2004

seriously, wtf

Roflan posted:

That's an automatically generated ad for the Escapist. They must really hate Google.

Newegg bought that FB ad targeting the Escapist page :tbear:

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Tank Boy Ken posted:

I'm glad the guy who got his job because he was a forum meme is weighing in on content creation

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Octopode posted:

it's not enough to prove they were from legitimate sources--it's about the statements themselves) and 2) were the statements actually true.

This is the most ridiculous line of bullshit you've posted here to date.

Stop posting.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
wait so there's a convention for a game that doesn't exist

and it's the third annual one

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Tank Boy Ken posted:

every game that has been announced and released in the time that they have done jack and poo poo would like to have a word.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Tank Boy Ken posted:

Boy it's too bad Chris was forced in to such a sticky situation.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Octopode posted:

A lot depends on the judge at hand, for California's libel and defamation laws. If Sandi/CIG isn't considered some form of public figure (which she may or may not, based on California's definition), then all that needs to be proved is that the Escapist was negligent--they don't have to prove actual malice. CIG tried to lay the foundation for that by showing that other publications had refused to print the same allegations with the same information available to them. If they are a public figure, then actual malice has to be proved, and there probably isn't much chance of that (unless there's an email out there between Derek Smart and the Escapist saying something like "publish this! It'll destroy Chris Roberts!" and the statements do turn out to be false). But, essentially, it all boils down to 1) did the Escapist do what other reasonably prudent publishers would have done to verify the statements were credible and true (it's not enough to prove they were from legitimate sources--it's about the statements themselves) and 2) were the statements actually true. If either one of those is true, there's no case. If both are false, Escapist can be held liable.

So what exactly do you do with $1500 worth of "spaceships" in a "game" you can't play? Do you just look at them?

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Romes128 posted:

So what exactly do you do with $1500 worth of "spaceships" in a "game" you can't play? Do you just look at them?

you threaten to buy more every time someone questions your spending habits

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
Yeah: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/descendentstudios/descent-underground?ref=nav_search

Funddate: 2015 - 04 - 11
Release of first build to backers: 2015 - 10 - 03
Estimated Delivery: 2016 March

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

OhDearGodNo posted:

This is the most ridiculous line of bullshit you've posted here to date.

Stop posting.

The only time you're protected by the identity of the source alone is when you are reporting on statements from official sources, such as government officials or reports. If you're reporting on the statements of private individuals, you're liable for the content of the statements themselves if you failed to meet reasonably prudent standards of validating them.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

angerbeet posted:

wait so there's a convention for a game that doesn't exist

and it's the third annual one

yeah isn't it wonderful?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Agrajag posted:

every game that has been announced and released in the time that they have done jack and poo poo would like to have a word.

No you don't understand, those are just cheap, mass-produced piles of poo poo like CoD and GTA, this is a visionary game from a true visionary, and it will make all other games obsolete. Also we had to establish four distinct studios around the world to make this game!

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Octopode posted:

The only time you're protected by the identity of the source alone is when you are reporting on statements from official sources, such as government officials or reports. If you're reporting on the statements of private individuals, you're liable for the content of the statements themselves if you failed to meet reasonably prudent standards of validating them.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/14727-The-Escapist-Explains-Its-Star-Citizen-Sources-Vetting-and-Respo

Stop posting.

Roflan
Nov 25, 2007

I love how contradictory some of those statements are. 'Those big studios are well established and funded and make small cookie cutter games.' 'We are starting from scratch with barely any money and trying to make the largest game ever made.' 'Our success is inevitable.'.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

no one should ever stop posting get the gently caress out of here.

Except you, you could actually stop.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Roflan posted:

I love how contradictory some of those statements are. 'Those big studios are well established and funded and make small cookie cutter games.' 'We are starting from scratch with barely any money and trying to make the largest game ever made.' 'Our success is inevitable.'.

Look at the cult they made.

edit: Seconding ODGN GTFOing

Bushido Brown
Mar 30, 2011

Octopode posted:

Protip: you should stop trying to speak about the law, friend.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Tank Boy Ken posted:

With all the crazy instancing server tech they are talking about private servers are not a long away but the announcement that they are being dropped from the scope might be.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Octopode posted:

okay

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Bushido Brown posted:

Protip: you should stop trying to speak about the law, friend.

Octopode posted:

You should try being more successful in your life. It opens lots of possibilities.

Sorry bro.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Octopode posted:

so do you just look at pictures of your spaceships and make "pew pew" sounds while spinning around in your computer chair all day?

or masturbate to pictures of your spaceships like your tag implies?

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Romes128 posted:

so do you just look at pictures of your spaceships and make "pew pew" sounds while spinning around in your computer chair all day?

or masturbate to pictures of your spaceships like your tag implies?

Does it count if you masturbate to that ship from Space Balls when it's in Mega Maid mode?

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Gwaihir posted:

no one should ever stop posting get the gently caress out of here.

Except you, you could actually stop.

You spent $660+ on Star Citizen.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

What is left for a publisher or investor to get back after funding more development?

There is no monthly fee, right? All the shiplords have already been whaled out. The game has near-total market awareness among everyone that is a possible space sim customer.

The post-launch revenue seems pretty minimal, if not microscopic. I guess there is China, but things like the 100gb install size and presumably high system requirements for all the no-budget model work make it unlikely to translate into something that market can digest. The glut of people hungry for another WOW-like experience of fresh quests and old guilds wont gravitate to the game. The youth-trend-frenzy market is mostly in Dota and LoL.

All that's left are the people that are waiting for the real launch and review scores before handing over $59. But for the genre that group seems tiny as its a rabid segment and there is some incentive to already be a customer and fiddle with your hangar.

Who the hell would invest?

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Im cumming.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

shadow puppet of a posted:

What is left for a publisher or investor to get back after funding more development?

There is no monthly fee, right? All the shiplords have already been whaled out. The game has near-total market awareness among everyone that is a possible space sim customer.

The post-launch revenue seems pretty minimal, if not microscopic. I guess there is China, but things like the 100gb install size and presumably high system requirements for all the no-budget model work make it unlikely to translate into something that market can digest. The glut of people hungry for another WOW-like experience of fresh quests and old guilds wont gravitate to the game. The youth-trend-frenzy market is mostly in Dota and LoL.

All that's left are the people that are waiting for the real launch and review scores before handing over $59. But for the genre that group seems tiny as its a rabid segment and there is some incentive to already be a customer and fiddle with your hangar.

Who the hell would invest?

Microtranscations. Lots and lots of microtransactions. Rebuild your ship quicker, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Skoll posted:

Im cumming.

cr: redo it. not high res enough. we need to be able to charge at least $500 for it.

• Locked thread