Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

it's weird to present that right before the swashbuckler, which is an amazing archetype.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Jack the Lad posted:

That's so bad. And lazy. Holy smokes.

I like how Insightful Manipulator is the Battle Master's Know Your Enemy but worse and at a higher level.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Helping as a bonus action and that redirect thing are both pretty solid, at least.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

Splicer posted:

He'll get super pissy about you being a power gamer. What was his reasoning as to why you playing exactly as written in the book was 'cheating"?

I can't cast fireball every round so you can't sneak attack every round. No poo poo.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

ActusRhesus posted:

I can't cast fireball every round so you can't sneak attack every round. No poo poo.
Yes but how is that cheating.

No I'm seriously baffled here.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Generic Octopus posted:

I like how Insightful Manipulator is the Battle Master's Know Your Enemy but worse and at a higher level.

Right, and Know Your Enemy wasn't even good.

I mean, an ability that said "The DM must tell you the ability scores and class levels of anything you can see on demand" wouldn't even be that good.

But nope, you get to know whether certain ability scores are higher or lower than yours. After a minute's out of combat observation.

Is there ever even a situation in which that's useful at all?

dwarf74 posted:

Helping as a bonus action and that redirect thing are both pretty solid, at least.

Bonus actions are in high demand, though, especially as a Rogue.

Jack the Lad fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Oct 4, 2015

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

Splicer posted:

Yes but how is that cheating.

No I'm seriously baffled here.

What I think the problem is, there's a difference between what the rule is and what the rule ought to be, yeah?

Rhesus is playing with somebody who makes a value judgment on what he thinks the rule ought to be, so he can't accept that the rule truly is the way it is. And because the rule must be something else, Rhesus is cheating. For not conforming to a hypothetical rule that only exists in that guy's mind.

What I'm personally wondering is how that guy would react to 3e Rogues. Same bonus sneak attack damage but it works on every single attack, and Rogues get several of them simply through BAB iteration. If anything the 5e Rogue is hugely nerfed compared to that.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

dwarf74 posted:

Master of Tactics is okay, but hampered by the fact that a Rogue normally uses that bonus action for either twf or Cunning Action.

Misdirection sorta sucks because they only get 1 reaction per round, so it's basically only useful against 1 ranged attacker per round firing from behind their ally. There's also the fact that it's a level 13 ability. At least it doesn't require an asinine save to work when the conditions are met.

ActusRhesus posted:

So basically he wants to houserule Sneak Attack to be worse because he thinks it's too strong. He's an idiot.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Please don't play with bad people.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Generic Octopus posted:

Master of Tactics is okay, but hampered by the fact that a Rogue normally uses that bonus action for either twf or Cunning Action.

Considering that it also lets you use Help at 30', I suspect the point of Master of Tactics is for ranged Rogues who can't TWF and don't need Cunning Action as often.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

goatface posted:

Please don't play with bad people.

I like the rest of the group. :(

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

ActusRhesus posted:

I like the rest of the group. :(

Does the rest of the group have no problems with any of this?

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Generic Octopus posted:

Misdirection sorta sucks because they only get 1 reaction per round, so it's basically only useful against 1 ranged attacker per round firing from behind their ally. There's also the fact that it's a level 13 ability. At least it doesn't require an asinine save to work when the conditions are met.
It also conflicts with Uncanny Dodge (which results in less damage to the party).

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

"The man in the robes is of lower class level than you."

"Okay! I pull out my dagger and demand his coinpurse."

"Instead of purse, he pulls out his wand and obliterates you in a word. Please reroll."

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.
I find it baffling that the people arguing about how OP certain martial classes are almost never do the actual math to see how things compare. Martial classes tend to be very straightforward in terms of damage per round and survivability, so it's not hard to calculate things at any given level.

Assuming a 60% chance to hit a target and no magical equipment or feats, a 20th level rogue wielding two 1d6 finesse weapons (and getting sneak attack every round) does an average of 39.4 damage per round. Using a shortbow drops the rogue down to around 28 damage per round. A 20th level champion fighter with a greatsword and the great weapon fighting style does an average of 37 damage per round, but has a better armor class and HP pool. A 20th level barbarian with a greataxe who is both raging and reckless attacking does an average of 31.11 damage per round (and is likely resistant to all damage types).

Sneak attack seems impactful because it's so frontloaded, but any martial class can attain roughly similar damage outputs. Once you bring feats into the equation, rogues fall behind massively; A 20th level battlemaster fighter with a longbow, the archery fighting style and the sharpshooter feat does 36 damage per round from up to 600 feet away before you factor in maneuvers like Precision Attack (which you don't have to use when you know you've rolled too low for it to help, or too high for it to matter). Switching to a single hand crossbow with the crossbow master feat bumps it up to 42.5 damage per round from up to 120 feet away, and lets you fire off shots in melee with no penalty. Rogues, meanwhile, get no significant benefit from feats, as none of them really affect the rogue's source of damage (bonus damage from non-weapon dice on a single attack per round).

EDIT: Also note that you can be a 10th level valor bard with Swift Quiver cast for four longbow attacks per turn instead of a 20th level fighter. :eng101:

Pfox posted:

"The man in the robes is of lower class level than you."

"Okay! I pull out my dagger and demand his coinpurse."

"Instead of purse, he pulls out his wand and obliterates you in a word. Please reroll."

Yeah, I've never understood that part of those features. Last time I checked, NPCs didn't have class levels, they had CRs, which are not equivalent. Is the DM expected to just reverse-engineer it on the fly?

Vanguard Warden fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Oct 4, 2015

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

I have never so desperately wanted to email somebody else's DM in my life. The fact that they have the gall to houserule the rogue and then accuse you of cheating is just the cherry on top. How is doing great 1d6 every round cheating? That's literally the advertised point of martials. They do one thing consistently, "all day". If the gold standard was the Champion instead of a Vancian caster would you be be able to accuse the use of any class feature whatsoever cheating compared to yiu?

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Vanguard Warden posted:

I find it baffling that the people arguing about how OP certain martial classes are almost never do the actual math to see how things compare. Martial classes tend to be very straightforward in terms of damage per round and survivability, so it's not hard to calculate things at any given level.

It's not baffling at all. Some people think martial characters sould literally just be worse. If they're as good as the spellcaster (or heaven forbid better at any point in time) then they're overpowered.

Rhesus is if anything getting a proper Next experience - someone there hates the non-caster and is convincing the DM to make their game lovely out of spite.

Also :laffo: at the Mastermind rogue being exactly the piece of poo poo I think we all knew it was gonna be, can't wait to see how terrible the rest of the subclasses are.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Vanguard Warden posted:

Assuming a 60% chance to hit a target and no magical equipment or feats, a 20th level rogue wielding two 1d6 finesse weapons (and getting sneak attack every round) does an average of 39.4 damage per round. Using a shortbow drops the rogue down to around 28 damage per round. A 20th level champion fighter with a greatsword and the great weapon fighting style does an average of 37 damage per round, but has a better armor class and HP pool. A 20th level barbarian with a greataxe who is both raging and reckless attacking does an average of 31.11 damage per round (and is likely resistant to all damage types).

Sneak attack seems impactful because it's so frontloaded, but any martial class can attain roughly similar damage outputs. Once you bring feats into the equation, rogues fall behind massively; A 20th level battlemaster fighter with a longbow, the archery fighting style and the sharpshooter feat does 36 damage per round from up to 600 feet away before you factor in maneuvers like Precision Attack (which you don't have to use when you know you've rolled too low for it to help, or too high for it to matter). Switching to a single hand crossbow with the crossbow master feat bumps it up to 42.5 damage per round from up to 120 feet away, and lets you fire off shots in melee with no penalty. Rogues, meanwhile, get no significant benefit from feats, as none of them really affect the rogue's source of damage (bonus damage from non-weapon dice on a single attack per round).

EDIT: Also note that you can be a 10th level valor bard with Swift Quiver cast for four longbow attacks per turn instead of a 20th level fighter. :eng101:

Yeah, I've never understood that part of those features. Last time I checked, NPCs didn't have class levels, they had CRs, which are not equivalent. Is the DM expected to just reverse-engineer it on the fly?

okay as specified earlier I'm a total newbie but

Why are you assuming 2x 1d6 melee or 1x 1d8? Rogues get proficiency in rapier so they should be wielding 2x 1d8 (with dual wielding feat), and if you're ranged with crossbow feat you can use one hand crossbow to fire twice with action/bonus action (per sage advice). Alternatively to crossbow, even without feats a high elf or wood elf ranged Rogue does 1d8 with longbow at level one.

EDIT: wait you might have already accounted for the 2d6 hand crossbow, my bad

Also in this fighter vs rogue comparison you're just assuming that they hit every round, when a lot of Rogue's skills are geared toward gaining them advantage on most attacks. This should give them 84% chance to hit when they would have 60% chance, if I've done the math right on advantage. Then you can add in the Assassin crit in the surprise round

kingcobweb fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Oct 4, 2015

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Mastermind seems to fit the mold of the archetypes with a pretty cool level 3 feature and complete garbage at 6 and 9

If you have a reasonable way to make use of 'infiltration expertise' I'm dying to hear

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Monsters can have class levels:

quote:

NPC STAT BLOCKS

Appendix B of the Monster Manual contains stat blocks for common NPC archetypes such as bandits and guards, as well as tips for customizing them. Those tips include adding racial traits from the Player's Handbook, equipping NPCs with magic items, and swapping armor, weapons, and spells.

If you want to take an NPC stat block and adapt it for a specific monster race, apply the ability modifiers and add the features listed in the NPC Features table. If the NPC's AC, hit points, attack bonus, or damage changes, recalculate its challenge rating.

CREATING NPCs FROM SCRATCH

If you decide to build an NPC the same way you build a player character, you can skip choosing a background and instead pick two skill proficiencies for the NPC. If you need completely new statistics for an NPC, you have two options:

* You can create an NPC stat block (similar to the ones in the Monster Manual) as you would a monster stat block, as discussed in the previous section.
* You can build the NPC as you would a player character, as discussed in the Player's Handbook.

MONSTERS WITH CLASSES

You can use the rules in chapter 3 of the Player's Handbook to give class levels to a monster. For example, you can turn an ordinary werewolf into a werewolf with four levels of the barbarian class (such a monster would be expressed as "Werewolf, 4th-level barbarian").

Start with the monster's stat block. The monster gains all the class features for every class level you add, with the following exceptions:

* The monster doesn't gain the starting equipment of the added class.
* For each class level you add, the monster gains one Hit Die of its normal type (based on its size), ignoring the class's Hit Die progression.
* The monster's proficiency bonus is based on its challenge rating, not its class levels.

Once you finish adding class levels to a monster, feel free to tweak its ability scores as you see fit (for example, raising the monster's Intelligence score so that the monster is a more effective wizard), and make whatever other adjustments are needed. You'll need to recalculate its challenge rating as though you had designed the monster from scratch.

Depending on the monster and the number of class levels you add to it, its challenge rating might change very little or increase dramatically. For example, a werewolf that gains four barbarian levels is a much greater threat than it was before. In contrast, the hit points, spells, and other class features that an ancient red dragon gains from five levels of wizard don't increase its challenge rating.

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

kingcobweb posted:

Mastermind seems to fit the mold of the archetypes with a pretty cool level 3 feature and complete garbage at 6 and 9

If you have a reasonable way to make use of 'infiltration expertise' I'm dying to hear

But they don't have a feature at level 6? And what is "infiltration expertise"?

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Sage Genesis posted:

But they don't have a feature at level 6? And what is "infiltration expertise"?

typo, I meant 9 and 13. I was comparing the new archetype features to Assassin (infiltration expertise at level 9, imposter at 13)

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

gradenko_2000 posted:

Monsters can have class levels:

My point was more that being able to determine whether or not an entity has a lower class level than you do is a pretty immaterial ability given the absolutely huge imbalance between classes.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

kingcobweb posted:

Of course, a 3 level dip is the most you can risk without giving up access to 9th level spells.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

kingcobweb posted:

okay as specified earlier I'm a total newbie but

Why are you assuming 2x 1d6 melee or 1x 1d8? Rogues get proficiency in rapier so they should be wielding 2x 1d8 (with dual wielding feat), and if you're ranged with crossbow feat you can use one hand crossbow to fire twice with action/bonus action (per sage advice). Alternatively to crossbow, even without feats a high elf or wood elf ranged Rogue does 1d8 with longbow at level one.

EDIT: wait you might have already accounted for the 2d6 hand crossbow, my bad

Also in this fighter vs rogue comparison you're just assuming that they hit every round, when a lot of Rogue's skills are geared toward gaining them advantage on most attacks. This should give them 84% chance to hit when they would have 60% chance, if I've done the math right on advantage. Then you can add in the Assassin crit in the surprise round

This might be my ignorance but how are rogues more likely to get advantage? Stealth?

Also 1d6 to 1d8 is the difference of like +1 average damage per attack. I mean we want the rogue to outdamage the Fighter, that's sort of the point.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Mendrian posted:

This might be my ignorance but how are rogues more likely to get advantage? Stealth?

Also 1d6 to 1d8 is the difference of like +1 average damage per attack. I mean we want the rogue to outdamage the Fighter, that's sort of the point.

Hide as a bonus action, and 'Assassinate' gives advantage against anyone that hasn't taken a turn in combat

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

kingcobweb posted:

How are they getting advantage, by hiding? That uses a bonus action at a minimum, which they could also use to make an off-hand attack. Swinging twice effectively gives them advantage on sneak attack's chance to hit anyway. The difference between swinging once with advantage, and swinging twice without advantage is that you don't get to hit twice if you roll well on both dice with advantage. It's statistically worse to hide as a rogue for a chance to gain advantage on an attack than to just swing two weapons.

As for the assassin crit, it's only one round in combat, that only occurs if your party surprises the target and you beat the target on initiative, because surprise ends as soon as the creature's turn comes up, even if it doesn't get to do anything on that first turn. You also need to be able to reach the creature in the first turn of combat, and you need to to hit with the attack. You also had a 95% chance to crit in the first place, so it's only effective if that doesn't happen as well. Meanwhile, if you're a thief instead of an assassin, you get none of this anyway.

Mendrian posted:

It's +1 damage on a hit, +2 damage on a crit, which comes out to +0.65 average damage per swing after chance to hit. It's not exactly the best use of an ASI.

Vanguard Warden fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Oct 4, 2015

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Vanguard Warden posted:

As for the assassin crit, it's only one round in combat, that only occurs if your party surprises the target and you beat the target on initiative, because surprise ends as soon as the creature's turn comes up, even if it doesn't get to do anything on that first turn. You also need to be able to reach the creature in the first turn of combat, and you need to to hit with the attack. You also had a 95% chance to crit in the first place, so it's only effective if that doesn't happen as well. Meanwhile, if you're a thief instead of an assassin, you get none of this anyway.
Oh wow this is NOT how I interpreted Assassinate. Is this the official ruling? I thought that if the Rogue snuck up on someone, whoever they attacked during the surprise round was surprised, since they can't do anything until that turn ends.

Vanguard Warden posted:

It's +1 damage on a hit, +2 damage on a crit, which comes out to +0.65 average damage per swing after chance to hit. It's not exactly the best use of an ASI.
What are you assuming is the ASI use? I was pointing out that your 1d6s could be 1d8s just from stuff the Rogue has already at level one

DrOgreface
Jun 22, 2013

His Evil Never Sleeps

Sage Genesis posted:

What I'm personally wondering is how that guy would react to 3e Rogues. Same bonus sneak attack damage but it works on every single attack, and Rogues get several of them simply through BAB iteration. If anything the 5e Rogue is hugely nerfed compared to that.

Except that in 3e, a ton of monster types (undead, constructs, plants, oozes) were immune to precision damage. Between that and DR, there will be combat encounters where your character will not be able to contribute at all. If it's an undead heavy campaign, reroll.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

DrOgreface posted:

Except that in 3e, a ton of monster types (undead, constructs, plants, oozes) were immune to precision damage. Between that and DR, there will be combat encounters where your character will not be able to contribute at all. If it's an undead heavy campaign, reroll.

Yeah, during my last 3.5 campaign I ended up giving the rogue a magic weapon that overcame precision immunity and DR so that he could actually make himself useful. He ended up as one of the better damage dealers in the party and was pretty happy about it. Of course, you also need the Darkstalker feat in order to use Move Silently against enemies with special senses, which is lovely.

e: Hell, most of the enemies were still human, and it still came up often enough that I just gave it to him.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

kingcobweb posted:

Oh wow this is NOT how I interpreted Assassinate. Is this the official ruling?

According to Mike Mearls, it is.

Admittedly, the PHB is nebulous and doesn't at all mention how long surprise lasts. The closest it gets is the following:

PHB189 posted:

Any character or monster that doesn’t notice a threat is surprised at the start of the encounter. If you’re surprised, you can’t move or take an action on your first turn of the combat, and you can’t take a reaction until that turn ends.

I haven't seen anything stating otherwise.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Vanguard Warden posted:

According to Mike Mearls, it is.

That's loving dumb

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

kingcobweb posted:

That's loving dumb

Hello, welcome to 5e. Enjoy your stay.

There's a reason why the Assassin's second only to beastmaster as the trapiest trap class this side of the Samurai.

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

Vanguard Warden posted:

Admittedly, the PHB is nebulous and doesn't at all mention how long surprise lasts.

Technically, it doesn't ever stop so long as the combat is still ongoing. The consequence for being surprised is that your first turn basically goes down the drain but the status of being surprised kicks in at the start of the encounter... and never seems to actually wear off.

Obviously not how they intend the rule to be. But it's what the 5e PHB states. As usual, the 5e PHB must be supplemented by the 3e PHB and "up to the DM".

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Father Wendigo posted:

Hello, welcome to 5e. Enjoy your stay.

There's a reason why the Assassin's second only to beastmaster as the trapiest trap class this side of the Samurai.

Is Thief actually any better?

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

kingcobweb posted:

Is Thief actually any better?

Kinda-not-really. They get the ability to take 2 turns in the first round of combat...at level 17. Otherwise they're both kinda bleh.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

kingcobweb posted:

That's loving dumb
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Traditional Games > D&D NEXT: That's loving dumb

Pfox posted:

My point was more that being able to determine whether or not an entity has a lower class level than you do is a pretty immaterial ability given the absolutely huge imbalance between classes.
Also since any monster you encounter is going to be monster + class level, either it's going to be a lower class level than you or it's going to wipe the party. The only possible use for it is so that the GM can say "Well if the rogue had checked him out you'd have known he was going to kill you all :smaug:"

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

Generic Octopus posted:

Kinda-not-really. They get the ability to take 2 turns in the first round of combat...at level 17. Otherwise they're both kinda bleh.

It's better in the long run, if you can qualify for sneak attack somehow. Two sneak attacks in the first round is always better than a single critical sneak attack, because you still have a chance to crit anyway, with a little extra ability modifier damage on top of it.

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

Splicer posted:

Also since any monster you encounter is going to be monster + class level, either it's going to be a lower class level than you or it's going to wipe the party. The only possible use for it is so that the GM can say "Well if the rogue had checked him out you'd have known he was going to kill you all :smaug:"

What does it actually mean, to detect "class levels"?

Like, you're a 9th level Rogue and scan a Wiz5/Cler5, yeah? Now I know from the multiclassing rules that the wiz/cler is a 10th level character but does that also mean he scans as a 10-class levels guy? Or does he scan as a 5/5 class levels guy? Because character level and class level is not the same thing. And do you know which class levels?

So do you learn...
a. He is your superior in total class levels.
b. He is your superior in total class levels, and they consist of wiz and cler.
c. He is your superior in total class levels, and they consist of wiz and cler, but they are individually both inferior.
d. He is your inferior in class levels (in two classes).
e. He is your inferior in class levels in two classes, which happen to be wiz and cler.
f. He is your superior in class levels in two unrevealed classes, your inferior in rogue, and your equal in all others.
g. He is your superior in class levels in wiz and cler, your inferior in rogue, and your equal in all others.

Edit:
Or hang on, it could also be...

h. He is your superior in wizard and cler, your inferior in rogue, your equal in all others, and in total your superior.
i. He is your superior in two unrevealed classes, your inferior in rogue, your equal in all others, and in total your superior.

Sage Genesis fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Oct 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Literally ask your DM.