Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.

Law Cheetah posted:

She runs because he needed it to be Erica that got grabbed and not anyone else, for Rickert-related reasons. If he went up to the window it would have involved all the girls.
That's not how writing works though. She could have been leaning out another window for a better look, or Luca and the others need not have been by the window in the first place. But that's beside the point.

People seem to be presenting "oh wow the little girl did an irrational thing that's totes out of character" as an issue, but that's ridiculous and not what's actually going on. What is actually going on is "oh a potentially bad thing happened in berserk for reasons :rolleyes:" which is an equally silly complaint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Y'all are going to be sorry (or... actually really glad?) when Erika drops a a pile of fire bombs from inside of her dress onto Rakshas' head

She's Godo's adopted daughter for a reason! Probably?

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

It's a cheap cliffhanger, on par with the later seasons of Dexter. Hopefully this isn't a sign of a similar decline.

VV fair enough.

AfricanBootyShine fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Sep 29, 2015

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

yeah it would be terrible if berserk were to decrease in quality....ehehe

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Her disguise will fall off and she'll have turned out to be that goofy pirate captain all along!

Anyway, ever since the series started focusing more on Rickert, has there ever been more than like a page or two where she wasn't constantly by his side? Because that seems to be a thing. I think she's just kind of dumb.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I've been waiting for Silat to join the team ever since his original introduction all those years ago, so this is awesome.

MachinTrucChose
Jun 25, 2009
Jesus H. I read Berserk 10 years ago in my 1st year in college. It's still not finished?

What happened in the past 10 years? I remember getting pissed that the plot was taking random "RPG sidequest" directions instead of focusing on the main objective of killing Griffith. Has that improved in any way? Is the end in sight?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

A 2 year hiatus to write his reaction to Shingeki no Kyojin but with loli pissing, 8 books and hahhahahahah you think this poo poo's ever going to end. They got on a boat 2 years after you left off. They're still on it. One estimate Miura gave a while back put it a good 20 years from ending.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Sep 30, 2015

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
I like how we got exactly 1 panel of Guts in the last three books each. Really makes up for that 18 month hiatus.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
We might get some guts next chapter.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Laputanmachine posted:

We might get some guts next chapter.
We got some horse guts this chapter.

ArchDemon
Jan 2, 2004

People with emotional and trust issues
really piss me off.

For some reason this chapter felt like Erica is to Rickert what Caska is to Guts. Both men stood up to Griffith and now are basically facing his wrath.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
As cheap as all this seems, I think it's worth remembering that causality itself is literally run by an apathetic psychopath and his bud buds and possibly a giant heart that exists in another dimension and the only ones who are kinda sorta immune to that are Guts, Casca and maybe Skull Knight. So maybe this is Griffith pulling on the strings a little harder than usual.

Or it's just a cheap drama ploy but still.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

ArchDemon posted:

For some reason this chapter felt like Erica is to Rickert what Caska is to Guts. Both men stood up to Griffith and now are basically facing his wrath.

It's similar, but this time, it isn't Griffith's wrath, it's the wrath of Locus. Griffith accepted and understood Rickert's rejection, while Locus was seething while Rickert left.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Nahxela posted:

We got some horse guts this chapter.

That was the joke.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Schubalts posted:

It's similar, but this time, it isn't Griffith's wrath, it's the wrath of Locus. Griffith accepted and understood Rickert's rejection, while Locus was seething while Rickert left.

Well yeah but we don't know that for sure. It would be well within Griffith's character to put on a friendly face while secretly plotting someone's demise. Until they say for sure I think it could go either way.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I don't buy that Griff cares enough to want Rickert dead. The dude literally gained everything he wanted, in addition to godhood. Everyone in that whole city is kissing his feet like he's the only thing between them and being slaughtered by a ferocious horde of nightmare beasts (and he is).

Then you have the Apostles who are basically programmed to obey the G Man because the contract the Behelit creates makes them servants of the Godhand. Maybe they're targetting Rickert because he insulted their master... but I could even see some of them being resentful of having to obey Griff, even if they can't directly resist him. What better way to take out your frustration at being molded into servitude by fate than picking on some punk kid who can slap your stupid sexy boss in the face and get away with it?

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

OnimaruXLR posted:

I don't buy that Griff cares enough to want Rickert dead. The dude literally gained everything he wanted, in addition to godhood. Everyone in that whole city is kissing his feet like he's the only thing between them and being slaughtered by a ferocious horde of nightmare beasts (and he is).

Yeah, it's not like he has ever been in that position before and thrown it all away because he wasn't 100% in control of all circumstances.

Wait.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Literally Kermit posted:

Yeah, it's not like he has ever been in that position before and thrown it all away because he wasn't 100% in control of all circumstances.

Wait.

Griffith's greatest mistake that will directly lead to his undoing is pissing Rickert off.

Beautiful.

Give it 20 years and you'll see

Izumi Konata
May 4, 2012

by Ralp
Lovin the discussion itt.

OnimaruXLR posted:

Then you have the Apostles who are basically programmed to obey the G Man because the contract the Behelit creates makes them servants of the Godhand. Maybe they're targetting Rickert because he insulted their master... but I could even see some of them being resentful of having to obey Griff, even if they can't directly resist him. What better way to take out your frustration at being molded into servitude by fate than picking on some punk kid who can slap your stupid sexy boss in the face and get away with it?

There's some kind of narrative science going on which leaves the motivation of the actors unseen. I think the author, artist, and executioner doesn't actually assume such a rigid style of storytelling that he has everything determined five moves in advance, like a chessmaster, but leaves things open intentionally, to allow for some slack in determining how the story progresses.

The Apostles obviously resent Rickert because he is probably the only free man in the realm, not bound by contract or obligation. It's the typical hater mentality.

Griffith's motive probably holds three possibilities. Considering how he has already attained his dream, he probably no longer has a higher plataeu to aspire for, and sits on his throne in his fortress of doom like an endboss waiting in boredom for a worthy duel. He could either be bitter over the loss of one of his soldiers/property, and block his exit (like he did when Guts decided to desert the Band), he could be accepting of Rickert's choice, since having raised him, he knows him not to be a threat. He could be using him as a tool for revealing dissent amongst his ranks. Or he could have been swayed by the reality that the emblem is truly different, and therefore accepts the boy's wishes to go off into the world to study the art of the assassin and maybe invent the combustion engine, and possibly an airship. Heck, there may even be a wild card choice nodody would expect.

I'm just extremely happy I got to see a drawing of Guts and an exploding horse this chapter.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
I'd imagine that if Rakshas was sent by Griffith and not Locus, it's because of legitimate reasons like Rickert being a potential threat, and not petty indignation.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Little kids are dumb. I hope she learns an important lesson from this in the future.

Schubalts posted:

So, expect Locus to try and stab Griffith in the back? Anything can happen if he has a good enough reason like "screw you and humanity". Then again, that may be Griffith's plan to do a Cthulhu and feed human souls to some eldritch horror.

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders
Being one of the few people who know the truth about Griffith and the original band of the hawk while not being branded should put you high in the shitlist, I'd imagine.

The whole thing with the idea of evil hints at the power of the human collective consciousness. Right now Griffith is trying to create his own utopia that may very well alter the scales of power (by indirectly altering the human collective consciousness through his utopia), possibly even changing the IoE's influence on human life. If that's the case, maybe Rickert's continued existence, while currently just an insignificant obstacle, could someone grow enough to disrupt Griffith's own influence.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
I think a lot of you are shortchanging Miura. I feel like a nerd for even typing this but Erica love Rickert. People tend to help those they love. Erica doesn't know she is a helpless little girl. Miura has never shown her to be weak. She was raised by an old man and followed Rickert through demon filled forests. She doesn't realize the danger, she just sees Rickert in a fight for his life and wants to support him. People are not logical. But even still, you are ignoring Miura's handling of female protags and how many of them are exceptionally competent. It wouldn't be a stretch if Erica kills Rakshas in the next chapter and all the guys stand around like "hey we forgot that little girl survived all this poo poo too."

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
The girl can be tough, the girl can love Rickert. She could also...i dunno, not just run right into the middle of a fight with a shadowman?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
the end result is not the problem, its how it came about.a single page of rakshas notching people watching the fight then him grabbing her out the window has the same result without being quite as dumb

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Jose posted:

the end result is not the problem, its how it came about.a single page of rakshas notching people watching the fight then him grabbing her out the window has the same result without being quite as dumb
That would remove her agency. She chose to enter the fray to help Rickert.

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
Little kids are irrational idiots. A eight year old running into the middle of a monster fight for good knows what reason is not outside the realm of possibility in the slightest.

This shows her as being dumb and irrational and worried for Rickert's well being. It builds on her character and on her relationship with Rickert. Rakshas reaching into a window and grabbing the closest person doesn't do any of that.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i don't think the end result is a bad idea, just it was a bit of a contrived way to get here

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Jose posted:

i don't think the end result is a bad idea, just it was a bit of a contrived way to get here
Art is contrived.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013
I enjoyed the chapter, even with Erica going full 'child' and running out to the battlefield.

However, the best part about this chapter was that it was on time. Could Miura really be back in the full swing of things again?

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Well thanks, now you tempted fate and earned us a 20 month hiatus thanks to your rash comments.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

notZaar posted:

Well thanks, now you tempted fate and earned us a 20 month hiatus thanks to your rash comments.

There's no guarantee George R R Martin/Miura will be able to finish their masterpiece before their death.

Izumi Konata
May 4, 2012

by Ralp

Postal Parcel posted:

I enjoyed the chapter, even with Erica going full 'child' and running out to the battlefield.

However, the best part about this chapter was that it was on time. Could Miura really be back in the full swing of things again?

dude. she ran outside only after the captain of the burly firemen proclaimed victory. she probably wanted to give them the cookies she baked (which restore a substantial amount of hp) while being cooped up in a brothel for nearly a whole chapter. I'd be gasping for air like a canary in a mineshaft if i were her, too. She didn't know firemen can't complely put out a shadow with a steady supply of flammable crude petroleum.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Izumi Konata posted:

dude. she ran outside only after the captain of the burly firemen proclaimed victory. she probably wanted to give them the cookies she baked (which restore a substantial amount of hp) while being cooped up in a brothel for nearly a whole chapter. I'd be gasping for air like a canary in a mineshaft if i were her, too. She didn't know firemen can't complely put out a shadow with a steady supply of flammable crude petroleum.

To be fair, she's not the only one who isn't learning here. They've tried to kill Rakshas by going for his "head" twice, and he even called them out on it, and they also keep loving up his masks and sending him into his weird mood-swings. Though I suppose in the latter case it worked out well for them the first time. (I liked that mask too, Rakshas. Sorry.)

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NingvTK11s

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
Korean scans of the newest chapter are already out: http://www.mangaumaru.com/archives/537277

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Rickert invented a rocket launcher. He is truly the greatest character in this series and nobody can prove otherwise.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Oh man, Daiba's back and being awesome. I felt bad for him after his original appearance, so him and his pets surviving and joining the good side along with Silat and the Tapasa is great. I wonder if there's any particular reason he's helping out though; "gently caress Griffith/Rakshas" (most of the Kushan we've seen seem to dislike Rakshas a lot) is probably enough, but I expect there's a bit more to it than that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Griffith iced his last boss.

Daiba seemed to get along mildly better with Ganishka compared with every other human being on the planet, so it might be a sore spot for the old man.

And yes, before you ask, I consider being punished for failure but allowed to live a sign of being on good terms with the guy.

Bad Seafood fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Oct 20, 2015