Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot

Zaphod42 posted:

I wasn't just asking for more Mastodon at all.

Zaphod42 posted:

I said I wanted stuff like Mastodon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot
I JUST WANT IT TO BE _LIKE_ MASTODON! NOT ACTUALLY MASTODON!

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
holy gently caress metal nerds are universally irredeemable people

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Sharzak posted:

holy gently caress metal nerds are universally irredeemable people

don't call this guy a metal nerd you dipshit

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
i wasn't talking about him
edit: although he's not great either

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession
Let's get back on track with recs, enough about that guy.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
since metal people are clearly watching, what's up with bands that sound like bone awl?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNr_VRXD1Y4

the worse it sounds the better, do it up

vorbis vorbilby
Apr 9, 2001

d-beat dad
Did you also check out Raspberry Bulbs?

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot
yeah raspberry bulbs.

ildjarn or beherit too for older stuff

all the first wave bm is worth a listen. hellhammer, sarcofago, early bathory, tormentor, root, vulcano, von

cryme fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Oct 3, 2015

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

maybe early Akitsa. Wold if you want it to be more noise than metal. Early Von as well maybe?

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
these are all just right especially raspberry bulbs and akitsa thank you!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htqezazIMqk

*kisses fingertips*

cryme also suggested grinning death's head elsewhere which was really blown out and great

Vinny Possum
Sep 21, 2015

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I'm looking for a thing I heard on the radio in SJ years ago. It's like spoken word story telling over jazz music, with a surreal bent to it. I've been searching for the genre I was hearing since then, but I've had no luck. The closest things I can find are William S. Burrough's recordings. Does anyone have any idea what this style of music is called, or what some good stuff with that kind of sound is?

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
sounds like something Tom Waits would do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EH2E-AUi7Eo

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Vinny Possum posted:

I'm looking for a thing I heard on the radio in SJ years ago. It's like spoken word story telling over jazz music, with a surreal bent to it. I've been searching for the genre I was hearing since then, but I've had no luck. The closest things I can find are William S. Burrough's recordings. Does anyone have any idea what this style of music is called, or what some good stuff with that kind of sound is?

A lot of stuff like that came out of the Beat Generation (of which Burroughs was arguably core). I used to have this box set and it's filled with spoken word over jazz. Some of it is corny because it hasn't aged well but there is some great stuff (Kerouac reading from On the Road, Ginsberg doing America).

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Vinny Possum posted:

Think I found it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hG9C0VwruXE

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

lol

Vinny Possum, they're not exactly jazz, but you could do worse than the Last Poets, and for a post-punk take, Art Objects

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

What's some more good chillwave to get into if my only exposure to the genre is Washed Out?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Anyone know of artists that sound like Disclosure without the super hammy vocals? Vocals are fine and they can even be sort of cheesy, but the Sam Smith white guy R&B poo poo sounds horrible to me and ruins it.

exquisite tea posted:

What's some more good chillwave to get into if my only exposure to the genre is Washed Out?

Neon Indian is probably the most well known artist in the genre.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
Would this be the best thread to ask for specific song suggestions to fill a very eclectic 30+ hour playlist?

I'd be looking for a lot of genres including, but not limited to, 50s doo-wop, latin jazz, texas/country swing, 60s dad rock, big band, truck driver, classical, old blues (willie dixon/elmore james type), stride piano, comedy, etc.

Or would I perhaps be better off asking in the pyf/request forum?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

dee eight posted:

Would this be the best thread to ask for specific song suggestions to fill a very eclectic 30+ hour playlist?

I'd be looking for a lot of genres including, but not limited to, 50s doo-wop, latin jazz, texas/country swing, 60s dad rock, big band, truck driver, classical, old blues (willie dixon/elmore james type), stride piano, comedy, etc.

Is this for larping?

slowdave
Jun 18, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

Coyote Clean Up is pretty good I guess, and Balam Acab.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Noxious_Photon posted:

I was wondering if there are any bands/albums that hit a good sweet spot with a mix of dream pop/shoegaze, I definitely know bands in those two categories separately but I haven't found many with a mix of the two that I enjoy; most lean one way or the other too much.

Closest I found was something like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlS247blB2c any idea?

Melody's Echo Chamber
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wcf2WjYG7iw

Mew
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kz0aVur1F2A (song takes about a minute to really start).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxpFHg-Bc5Q

Cantoris posted:

Anyone got any good trance and/or chilling sort of music. Sorry for the lovely description!

I can only guess what you mean by chilling some stuff by Blonde Redhead might interest you?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aU-kBxIy8cI

You would probably also like Broadcast.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHxgkclHvVU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVsDEjPaUiI

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

No I did
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZA7VjGYnsFo

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

BigFactory posted:

Is this for larping?

No, I'm just starting an incredibly tedious job where the only possible refuge for my sanity is music. I'd like a week's worth of non-repeating tunes. I figure the widest variety of stuff will help keep me from going totally mental.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

dee eight posted:

No, I'm just starting an incredibly tedious job where the only possible refuge for my sanity is music. I'd like a week's worth of non-repeating tunes. I figure the widest variety of stuff will help keep me from going totally mental.

Time-Life has a bunch of huge collections from the 1940s on up- maybe check those out?

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

NESguerilla posted:

Anyone know of artists that sound like Disclosure without the super hammy vocals? Vocals are fine and they can even be sort of cheesy, but the Sam Smith white guy R&B poo poo sounds horrible to me and ruins it.

Neon Indian is probably the most well known artist in the genre.

Kind of. Most other house artists are going to be more "dj friendly," which in practical terms means their tracks are going to last about twice as long as they should and not have the verse/chorus/verse structure with decent lyrics like you get from disclosure.
Here are a couple songs that are good in that vein though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xJ6zii59pk
https://soundcloud.com/markknight/the-fog-vs-chus-ceballos-been-a-long-time-mark-knight-remix-wunderground-premiere

Or maybe listen to Justice or something.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
I'm hardly super qualified to weigh in on this but isn't there a long tradition of vocal house music that, if not strictly designed for home listening, at least functions perfectly well as such? I guess stuff like Blaze or Romanthony isn't really what someone who likes Discloure is looking for tho

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Yeah and there are radio edits and such that eliminate the minute long intros and x3 repeated breakdowns but IMO still miss out on the pop/organic/high energy sensibilities that make disclosure so good. Like you can have an "at home" listening track but it won't necessarily sound like disclosure.

Romanthony was a good suggestion though

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I was listening to some Sam Cooke albums earlier and they got me feeling pretty disappointed. He was an amazing soul singer and he did record two or three really good albums (the best being Night Beat and Live at the Harlem Square Club, 1963) and loads of great singles, but depressingly, a lot more of his recorded output than should have been was just gutless pop standards and Broadway fluff, buried under all these harps and string orchestras to the extent that they sometimes end up sounding like something out of a Disney animated movie from the 1940s. Aside from the songs he wrote himself (of which there were fortunately many) there was little that I think really matched his talent.

Anyway, I'd like to request any recommendations in general from the same era (the 1960s pre-British Invasion) which are in the same broad rhythm and blues / early soul / rock and roll category but without being MOR drowning in its own production or anything. I'm thinking along the lines of Gary U.S. Bonds and "Quarter To Three".

(Bit vague / broad, sorry.)

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

Wheat Loaf posted:

I was listening to some Sam Cooke albums earlier and they got me feeling pretty disappointed. He was an amazing soul singer and he did record two or three really good albums (the best being Night Beat and Live at the Harlem Square Club, 1963) and loads of great singles, but depressingly, a lot more of his recorded output than should have been was just gutless pop standards and Broadway fluff, buried under all these harps and string orchestras to the extent that they sometimes end up sounding like something out of a Disney animated movie from the 1940s. Aside from the songs he wrote himself (of which there were fortunately many) there was little that I think really matched his talent.

Anyway, I'd like to request any recommendations in general from the same era (the 1960s pre-British Invasion) which are in the same broad rhythm and blues / early soul / rock and roll category but without being MOR drowning in its own production or anything. I'm thinking along the lines of Gary U.S. Bonds and "Quarter To Three".

(Bit vague / broad, sorry.)

Maybe Wilson Pickett? Mustang Sally and Midnight Hour are the first things that come to mind. A personal fave is Martha and the Vandellas - dancin in the streets

More rockin' in that category might be something like Mitch Ryder and the Detroit Wheels.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Ah, I'm into both of those artists already. Most of my CD collection is stuff like that, really. I'm into all the Stax and Atlantic stuff, as well as some Motown (mostly difficult because a lot of the Motown albums are hard to find on CD), which is why that Sam Cooke live album appeals to me as much as it does. A lot of what I look for now is admittedly on the more obscure end of the spectrum; the sort of thing that went out on labels like Okeh and Sue in the 1960s.

I guess the problem is that there doesn't really seem like there's a whole lot left that I haven't heard yet. I am bitterly, bitterly disappointed by those Sam Cooke albums - far more so than I should be, if I'm honest, because let's face it, it's only pop music. They just feel like an egregious waste of his talent; the albums he recorded toward the end of his life (Night Beat, Mr Soul, Ain't That Good News etc) are, as I noted, broadly speaking much better, but it's disappointing that they came so late in his career.

(I appreciate this post and the last one aren't really in the ambit of this thread, but in the absence of a general music chat thread I feel like I need to put it somewhere.)

(Mitch Ryder also recorded an album where he sang MOR slush backed by a string orchestra for a whole side of it - it is also risible.)

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

I can forgive (and forget) the slush in the light of the good stuff, but I completely understand the disappointment. It seems that our musical tastes overlap at this point though and thanks for mentioning quater to three. It's just the kind of thing I want for my playlist.

The only other thing that comes to mind at this moment is stuff like the Marvelettes or the Shirelles. Got girl groups on my mind I guess.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

dee eight posted:

I can forgive (and forget) the slush in the light of the good stuff, but I completely understand the disappointment.

Yeah, I mean, I don't dislike that kind of Great American Songbook thing - I like it when Sinatra does it, and I like it when Ella Fitzgerald does it. And Ray Charles is an artist who recorded good music after he "went middle-of-the-road" or whatever you want to call it. But for whatever reason, I just can't seem to feel it with Sam Cooke. I guess it's because I knew his singles and that terrific live album before I tried his wider discography, and it just didn't feel like the "real" Cooke to me. I knew that Cooke did loads of MOR stuff for a while but I don't think I'd anticipated just how pervasive it was in his discography. Like, just about all four of his Keen albums, then around half his RCA albums were all in the trad pop style. There's stories about how Sam Cooke was able to blow Little Richard off the stage when they toured Britain on the same bill in the early sixties, but you wouldn't have known it from his albums. And then, of course, there's Live At the Harlem Square Club and later albums like Night Beat showing you exactly what he was capable of and it becomes doubly disappointing. I'd have been better off just getting The Best of Sam Cooke, to be honest.

Still, I suppose it's probably not quite as disappointing as the Coasters album where they did Tin Pan Alley songs.

Edit: Oo-err, that's a lot of words about oldies music. :v: Sorry, I feel passionately about my music, as you can probably tell. :shobon:

quote:

The only other thing that comes to mind at this moment is stuff like the Marvelettes or the Shirelles. Got girl groups on my mind I guess.

Sure, that's something I'd be keen to try. I love Amy Winehouse and she was influenced by all those pre-Beatles girl groups.

If you like "Quarter To Three" check out the album Do You Love Me (Now That I Can Dance) by the Coasters if you aren't already familiar with it - with the possible exception of Junior Walker and the All-Stars' recordings, there is no other Motown album quite like it. I would also recommend (just as a freebie :)) a trio of fairly obscure British R&B bands from the same era - Simon Dupree & the Big Sound (who later became Gentle Giant), Zoot Money's Big Roll Band and Cliff Bennett & the Rebel Rousers. I'm into all that sort of thing as well.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Oct 7, 2015

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

Wheat Loaf posted:

Do You Love Me (Now That I Can Dance)

I started singing that in the kitchen one day, and my son was giving me that 'parents are weird' look....

do you love me, nowwww that i can dance.

He said, You can't dance.

WATCH ME NOW and I busted a move.

Checking out those brit bands now, thanks a ton.

e: holy moly that zoot money is some good poo poo!

dee eight fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Oct 8, 2015

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I discovered all three because they were stated influences of Dexys Midnight Runners, of all bands. That first Dexys album is one of my favourites. :D The whole retro soul thing is what I was into in my last few years at school, when I a) started taking my saxophone playing a bit more seriously; b) saw The Blues Brothers for the first time; and c) discovered bands like the Specials, Secret Affair, Ian Dury & the Blockheads and Dexys Midnight Runners who were all popular when my mum and dad were my age. I sort of lost touch with it for a few years in university when I decided I'd try learning guitar and started listening to AOR of all things (Journey, Boston, Foreigner, REO Speedwagon, Def Leppard, Bon Jovi and a whole ton of obscurities), but more recently I realised that music didn't mean anything to me, so in the past year or so I got back into the stuff I used to follow, and also rediscovered all the old soul and R&B stuff I used to love, and also new bands and new artists.

All those British Invasion era albums are treasure troves in the "you might also like" sense - you just look at who they were covering and look them out. I'm pretty sure I never would have discovered the Soul Sisters if Cliff Bennett & the Rebel Rousers and the Spencer Davis Group hadn't covered "I Can't Stand It".

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

dee eight posted:

I maintain a huge playlist (335 hours) of diverse stuff if you're interesting in just having an eclectic playlist to shuffle through:

https://open.spotify.com/user/faktory4/playlist/350R9k7ezWD8kTfKJWnVR0

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
So here's a challenge, I guess. Good luck. If this is a genre I have no loving idea what kind of a genre it would be. It really kicks off a minute or so in at like 5:20. (Video starts at 4:11)

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm not sure what you want from that description.

This popped into my head though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbZZBQwBSek

E: Wow this album is 13 years old and I suddenly I feel really loving old.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Oct 8, 2015

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

me your dad posted:

I maintain a huge playlist (335 hours) of diverse stuff if you're interesting in just having an eclectic playlist to shuffle through:

https://open.spotify.com/user/faktory4/playlist/350R9k7ezWD8kTfKJWnVR0

I'm like a kid in a candy store. That's pretty much how I got the first 10 hours of my list, just ooooh i want that and that and this and ohmygawd so much stuff....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Siivola posted:

Apparently! :stare:

https://soundcloud.com/hugo-kant/erhu (If you listen carefully, you might hear it.)
https://soundcloud.com/moth-equals/lucky
https://soundcloud.com/robertchacon/moonlight (Not trip-hop.)

There's also this "progressive erhu rock" band called The Hsu-Nami:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vgSUK3d0Qw

The first two were exactly what I needed, thanks