Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Bottom Liner posted:

Legit hate anyone that buys and plays poo poo like this. Creepy as gently caress.

Don't judge a game on its art! Tragedy looper!
:goonsay:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

thread will turn to poo poo for about two pages with an anime argument

prove me wrong

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

mm time 2 gargle piss and shit
Hey y'all, I used to play the Werewolf ccg back when it was out, how well have that games mechanics aged? I do t even remember how it played. Think it or the vampire one would work in an lcg format?

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012

Banana Man posted:

Think it or the vampire one would work in an lcg format?

I feel like people would be on board with a Vampire : The eternal Struggle LCG but I don't even know if there's a big enough fanbase for that.
I know I want it though. Especially if it's as multiplayer focused as the original.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Lord Frisk posted:

Don't judge a game on its art! Tragedy looper!
:goonsay:

Tragedy Looper is about 10 rungs down on the creepy ladder from that obvious neckbeard bait.

It's still anime though :colbert:

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Banana Man posted:

Hey y'all, I used to play the Werewolf ccg back when it was out, how well have that games mechanics aged? I do t even remember how it played. Think it or the vampire one would work in an lcg format?

Richard Garfield mentioned that FFG was working on a Vampire LCG remake but the following FFG dudes replied on BGG:

quote:

I can categorically state with full certainty that the linked claim made above is false. Fantasy Flight Games has no plans to publish any version of Jyhad/Vampire: The Eternal Struggle.

Anton Torres
Fantasy Flight Games

quote:

Dave, FFG did look into publishing this game for a time, and we decided to pass on it for a number of reasons. Richard was not up to date (no fault of his) on this decision.

So, no VTES, in any form, from FFG.

Sorry,

Christian
FFG

Given the conviction in these responses and murmuring on the internet in other contexts, I suspect that WoD IP is a dead end

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Bottom Liner posted:

Legit hate anyone that buys and plays poo poo like this. Creepy as gently caress.

I was a hairs breath away from buying it myself, just for the fact that it was cheaper than Dominion and came with 16 kinds of cards (plus the black maids) in the base set vs Dominions having only 10. I thought better of myself, and who I might play it with, and thankfully got Dominion instead (yet to arrive :argh:)

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Bottom Liner posted:

The sad part is that it's an okay Dominion clone. The art is just creep-tastic. If there was a reskin of it into anything else, even if it was still anime as gently caress, it'd probably be fine.

As far as CCGs for people on a budget, try some LCGs or even old Pokemon cards (WotC era preferably).

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012

Rutibex posted:

I was a hairs breath away from buying it myself, just for the fact that it was cheaper than Dominion and came with 16 kinds of cards (plus the black maids) in the base set vs Dominions having only 10. I thought better of myself, and who I might play it with, and thankfully got Dominion instead (yet to arrive :argh:)

Tanto is the exact same price as Dominion here in the UK, £40. And Dominion comes wih 500 cards to Tanto's what, 280? Price:Cardboard ratio makes it an easy decision.
Alhough I think Tanto uses plasic cards.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

AMooseDoesStuff posted:

Tanto is the exact same price as Dominion here in the UK, £40. And Dominion comes wih 500 cards to Tanto's what, 280? Price:Cardboard ratio makes it an easy decision.
Alhough I think Tanto uses plasic cards.

Yeah but all those extra cards are just duplicates, the number of unique cards is less in Dominion. I think a new metric needs to be added, "Gameplay per Volume"

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

You should be up for playing only munchkin all the time Rutibex. I see holes in your theory. Maybe you aren't actually an accredited game scientist at all! You lieeeeeed

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Plastic cards should be an industry standard. I played Cthulhu Realms last week, which is a broken mess and super easy to make broken combos with, but the cards feel amazing. I could shuffle them all day. Good art too. It's not as stale as Star Realms, but both players will probably be drawing their whole deck each turn by the end, and it's got crazy swingy damage and healing along with a ton of buildings that constantly get in the way. Still better than Thunderstone.

Actually, here's my top ten of deck builders

1 Dominion (with expansions)
2 Eminent Domain (with expansion)
3 Valley of the Kings (number 1 if top two don't have expansions)
4 Legendary Encounters: Alien
5 Ascension (expansions only)
6 Friday
7 Legendary Marvel
8 Cthulhu Realms
9 Star Realms
10 Thunderstone/Advanced

To play: Trains, Puzzle Strike, Arctic Scavengers, Legendary Predator

Vlaada Chvatil
Sep 23, 2014

Bunny bunny moose moose
College Slice
I liked Trains. One of my friends keeps bringing it up as "that boring game that was actually super fun."

lordsummerisle
Aug 4, 2013
Ok, seriously... gently caress Volkare. Think I might have to go back to solo conquest.

Game is still really good, though.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Vlaada Chvatil posted:

I liked Trains. One of my friends keeps bringing it up as "that boring game that was actually super fun."

Does Trains add anything else than managing waste? If so that to me doesn't nearly outweigh the blandness that comes from unlimited actions per turn.

If Dominions had unlimited actions per turn it wouldn't be interesting at all.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Just found out the Geek Bar in Chicago carries Tanto Cuore but not Dominion.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Bottom Liner posted:

Plastic cards should be an industry standard. I played Cthulhu Realms last week, which is a broken mess and super easy to make broken combos with, but the cards feel amazing. I could shuffle them all day. Good art too. It's not as stale as Star Realms, but both players will probably be drawing their whole deck each turn by the end, and it's got crazy swingy damage and healing along with a ton of buildings that constantly get in the way. Still better than Thunderstone.

Actually, here's my top ten of deck builders

1 Dominion (with expansions)
2 Eminent Domain (with expansion)
3 Valley of the Kings (number 1 if top two don't have expansions)
4 Legendary Encounters: Alien
5 Ascension (expansions only)
6 Friday
7 Legendary Marvel
8 Cthulhu Realms
9 Star Realms
10 Thunderstone/Advanced

To play: Trains, Puzzle Strike, Arctic Scavengers, Legendary Predator

You should play Puzzle Strike, dude. The online game is good for getting a taste of it.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Puzzle Strike is really fun. The chips take away one of the big downsides of deckbuilders, which is constant shuffling.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

sector_corrector posted:

Puzzle Strike is really fun. The chips take away one of the big downsides of deckbuilders, which is constant shuffling.

And add a bunch of new downsides. You can't hold your cards in your hands and read what they do, there's a lot less room for text (and Puzzle Strike's cards can get way more wordy than anything in the Dominion base set which kind of worked as the chip design Sirlin stole), it's more awkward to draw chips than cards which you need to do way more often than shuffling, it can take longer to make sure your bag is actually empty and needs a shuffle than it would have taken to just shuffle a deck, and the gem piles are just absurd even though they have nowhere near as much in them than Dominion's treasure piles. I like Puzzle Strike, but I like it a lot more as a print and play game than a retail box.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Any deck builder without a market row > any deck builder does.

I really don't like the randomization of market rows, especially how Star Realms / Ascension does it. Even Dom X. himself said in some blog they considered doing a market row for the initial Dominion bought thought would be too luck-based / bad idea-ish. Maybe other games are better with them (Haven't played the Alien / Valley of Kings one yet) but Star Realms really makes you hate it quick.

Say what you will about things like Arctic Scavengers, at least it doesn't have a market row.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

jeeves posted:

Any deck builder without a market row > any deck builder does.

Counterpoint: Eminent Domain owns.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Some Numbers posted:

Counterpoint: Eminent Domain owns.

That's...not a market row, not in the usual sense. The action cards you can get are always there, the planets are explored a la Race, not market row, and the techs are also all there from the start, not a random set coming up and replaced as they're bought.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I see a lot of 7 Wonders tournaments happening locally. How is that even a thing? The game always seemed to have the depth of a puddle, especially as you add more players and the xpac I tried just made it more of an RNG-fest. A 7 Wonders tournament seems like it would be as interesting as a Roulette tournament.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Also, market row with cards replenished at end of turn > market row with cards replenished immediately. It's a subtle but often very important distinction.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Andarel posted:

Also, market row with cards replenished at end of turn > market row with cards replenished immediately. It's a subtle but often very important distinction.

I don't know about that. One lets you pay a tax to dig. The other leads to stagnant boards.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

To be fair, I'm not very fond of pure/traditional deckbuilders and almost all the ones I've played recently that aren't Dominion or Valley of the Kings are pretty rear end. But the big problem with ones that auto-replenish is that it makes the luck factor huge in the mid/lategame by making the market much less predictable and greatly amplifies flipping lucky cards off the top. This wouldn't be an issue if buys were more limited but there aren't any deckbuilders that have buy minimums + market row that I can think of other than Epic Thunderstone. On the other hand, the Cryptozoic deckbuilders use end-of-turn refilling and they're universally terrible so...yeah.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
As I was playing digital Ascension long enough to get sick of it, I started wondering how you could make changes to the game to keep the market row, but improve the overall game. I haven't really come up with anything, other than pre-seeding the deck to make sure there's an even distribution of card types, but that would be a huge pain in the rear end for the physical game.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Preaching to the choir, but the more that u played games with market rows, the more disenfranchised I became. Nothing quite like drawing a strength 10 enemy first turn in Legendary.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Andarel posted:

But the big problem with ones that auto-replenish is that it makes the luck factor huge in the mid/lategame by making the market much less predictable and greatly amplifies flipping lucky cards off the top.

That's true of market row regardless of how you do it, though. Either they replenish at the end of your turn, and I get to buy a card you never saw, or they replenish in the middle of my turn, and I get to buy a card you never saw. One way or another, someone's going to have the first chance to get the only copy of the god card that just popped up.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Toshimo posted:

I see a lot of 7 Wonders tournaments happening locally. How is that even a thing? The game always seemed to have the depth of a puddle, especially as you add more players and the xpac I tried just made it more of an RNG-fest. A 7 Wonders tournament seems like it would be as interesting as a Roulette tournament.

It depends on the expansions and how many players per table in each round. poo poo like Babel or some of the Promo boards would be difficult and much more unweildy, but doing base game 7 Wonders (or Base+Cities) as a tournament would be a solid set up. Idk how the bracketing should be though since the game tends to vary at different player counts.

I did do a small 7 Wonders tournament though with Base+Leaders+Cities that essentially had 16 people, so two 8P boards with the top 4 of each going into a final 8P board. IMO, with a big board like that, there should be a run off with the top 4 of that playing a final round.

sector_corrector posted:

As I was playing digital Ascension long enough to get sick of it, I started wondering how you could make changes to the game to keep the market row, but improve the overall game. I haven't really come up with anything, other than pre-seeding the deck to make sure there's an even distribution of card types, but that would be a huge pain in the rear end for the physical game.

Two market rows, one for monster and the other for buying cards, but with fewer cards in each row.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I still think it would be an interesting experiment to "de-market row" some of the popular deck builders. If all or some subset of the cards were all available up front for the entire duration of the game, does the game just collapse into degenerate-strategy-ville?

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Lottery of Babylon posted:

That's true of market row regardless of how you do it, though. Either they replenish at the end of your turn, and I get to buy a card you never saw, or they replenish in the middle of my turn, and I get to buy a card you never saw. One way or another, someone's going to have the first chance to get the only copy of the god card that just popped up.

The difference is that one way you have a degree of control over how many cards the next player sees (same number as you, unless there's weird stuff going on) because they don't get more new cards than you bought. The other way can result in strings of god cards that are otherwise impossible.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

sector_corrector posted:

Have different decks, and different triggers to draw from those decks. In Ascension, have a deck for each faction and a deck for monsters.

Think Paperback. Randomness within each deck, but you have options all across the board.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Xelkelvos posted:

It depends on the expansions and how many players per table in each round. poo poo like Babel or some of the Promo boards would be difficult and much more unweildy, but doing base game 7 Wonders (or Base+Cities) as a tournament would be a solid set up. Idk how the bracketing should be though since the game tends to vary at different player counts.

I did do a small 7 Wonders tournament though with Base+Leaders+Cities that essentially had 16 people, so two 8P boards with the top 4 of each going into a final 8P board. IMO, with a big board like that, there should be a run off with the top 4 of that playing a final round.

I dunno. The variance between the best cards and the median cards seems to make a lot of drafts super swingy and, frankly, having the dude 4 seats away sitting next to a newbie leads to uncontrollable blowouts. I can't imagine any scenario where the game filters down to a competitive format.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
You can solve some of the random swinginess by revealing the next few cards that are going to be available to purchase. The downside is you get stagnant boards where neither player wants to buy anything because the card that will be available next is way more powerful than anything currently on offer.

Alternatively, you could make your cards sufficiently balanced that the swinginess isn't a big deal. But if you could pull that off you wouldn't be making a market row deckbuilder in the first place...

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Toshimo posted:

I dunno. The variance between the best cards and the median cards seems to make a lot of drafts super swingy and, frankly, having the dude 4 seats away sitting next to a newbie leads to uncontrollable blowouts. I can't imagine any scenario where the game filters down to a competitive format.

3P tables with a single winner moving on is probably the most consistent way to do it, even if it would take the most time. For added consistency, each table has the same three Wonders that's randomly distributed between the three (there's no way around this unfortunately without playing extra games for the same round). The final round could have a best aggregate ranking between three games (1st gets 2 points, 2nd gets 1, last gets 0).

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Rutibex posted:

dominion has 25 kingdom cards and 7 supply cards in the base set

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Broken Loose posted:

dominion has 25 kingdom cards and 7 supply cards in the base set

forget it bloose, it's rubitextown

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

StashAugustine posted:

forget it bloose, it's rubitextown

i know, i just... there's a difference between laughing at the talisman gimmick and outright spreading misinformation. but you're right, i shouldn't even bother

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Rutibex posted:

Yeah but all those extra cards are just duplicates, the number of unique cards is less in Dominion. I think a new metric needs to be added, "Gameplay per Volume"

You do realize there are 25 kingdom cards with 10 randomly chosen each game, right? Can't do the math right now but I'm pretty sure it's at least a few thousand games per penny you pay/ounce it weighs.

Also market rows generally suck but VotK probably comes closest to doing it right. No replenishment mid-turn, and only three cards are available to buy at any time, though card actions can mess with this.