Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Molten Llama posted:

Seriously. My local Kroger-owned grocer went shiny new NFC a couple years ago, then yanked them all for old school terminals last year, and then put in shiny new EMV terminals a couple months ago... and they still don't accept chip cards (despite now having the slots unblocked and lit up).

I figure we'll finally get Apple Pay around the time we're all paying with buttcoins via telepathy. Their loss; I can do a good 75% of my shopping at Whole Foods and Sprouts now (competitively!), and that sweet, sweet 11% cash back Discover's giving me is just the cherry on top. :shrug:

drat, deets on the 11% cash back?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I did read a blurb about Discover doing some extra cash back promo on Apple Pay purchases through the end of the year so maybe look into that.
10 percent extra (meaning you also get your regular 1-5%) cash back on in-store purchases up to $10000 (I.e. Up to $1000 extra cash back) through the end of the year.

Which is pretty sweet when your main grocery takes Apple Pay. Or if you're buying a MacBook or something.

E: have a FAQ

WithoutTheFezOn fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Oct 4, 2015

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

10 percent extra (meaning you also get your regular 1-5%) cash back on in-store purchases up to $10000 (I.e. Up to $1000 extra cash back) through the end of the year.

Which is pretty sweet when your main grocery takes Apple Pay. Or if you're buying a MacBook or something.

Nice.

I've been kicking around switching to Amex from MC with my bank, they give double points on gas and groceries.

Ok done making GBS threads up the iPhone thread with credit card schemes.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The Lord Bude posted:

Asking only works if your phone happens to be on your person. Although I suppose iOS doesn't suffer from the typical Windows phone scenario of random app in the background suddenly deciding 'gently caress you imma eat your battery' and next thing you know your phone is hot to the touch and battery capacity went down 70% in half an hour while you were in the kitchen putting together a spot of lunch.
My 6s did this on Friday night. Couldn't figure out what app it was or why.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

EL BROMANCE posted:

Whoever it was who said the android keyboard is much better now, it just took me 10 minutes* to send a message on my fiancé's Samsung s6, because the phone refused to let me write an o in lowercase. Every sentence lOOked like this.

* hyperbole, but massively annoying.

That was me.

Is that phone using the Google keyboard (default on Nexus phones, available to all), or Samsung's shitted up one?

It doesn't sound like anything I've seen myself. It is ridiculous that some OEMs make a bad default, but at least 3rd party keyboard support works.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
Finally got sick of the dying battery on my 5S and upgraded to a 128 6s. drat, this thing is slippery. No good cases in the ATT store, so I'm waiting for my new Speigen to come in on Tuesday. Annoyed about not being able to set up AppleCare in person and having to do it over the phone.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
AT&T Store sells the official leather one so gently caress!

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Mike-o posted:

Are carriers and apple running low on stocks? I can't find anywhere near me that has the 6s+ at all, att told me it would be like a month until they have any more. My 6+ did the bending poo poo from being in my pocket and I'm getting it replaced at the Apple store on Tuesday, looks like I'll have to wait a while to upgrade to the S.

No one in the UK has any stock of the 6S+, at least not for sale sim-free outright.

Apple's reserve and pickup service, checked at 6am, has not shown any in stock in the whole country for me since midweek, and none near me.

manwithoutskin
Mar 24, 2006
can you see the line where the water ends
I checked Apples stock last Monday for +s at all stores around me and 0's across the board. I saw something saying they update stock around 8-10am est so Tuesday I checked at the time and sure enough, everything except rose gold was in stock everywhere! So give that a shot? I also probably just got lucky.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, the 6S+ seems to back ordered for a bit. I haven't seen a crazy demand for it, my guess isn't Apple just made a lot more of the 6S for launch.

Also anecdotal, way more people seem to be getting Silver/Gold this year than Space Gray.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Duckman2008 posted:

Yeah, the 6S+ seems to back ordered for a bit. I haven't seen a crazy demand for it, my guess isn't Apple just made a lot more of the 6S for launch.

Also anecdotal, way more people seem to be getting Silver/Gold this year than Space Gray.

Maybe people just like having a white front on their phones.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

The Lord Bude posted:

Maybe people just like having a white front on their phones.

This is why I got the silver. I like the white face way more than the black.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

And that is why I got the gold. The white looks much better imo.

As for a question, is there a better keyboard in the App Store? Preferably something with at least the @ and ? keys on the main keyboard so I don't have to keep switching. I'd also love the numbers too but I have the regular 6s and screen real estate is at a premium.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

I switched to white for the first time with the 6s and I definitely like the looks of it a lot better. UIs that have a white background (which is to say, 95% of apps) just seem to look better alongside the white front.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013
I don't really think the white looks better but I got tired of setting my black 5 down on a dark surface and forgetting about it

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
The black iPhones are better than all the others

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Out of context this thread reads like it's so racist

What I got out of it is that you guys prefer the big white ones that you stroke and hold up to your face.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

I like the white front; It reminds me of the old IPods :3:. The black is too Serious Business looking.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

I'll stroke my own black one or someone else's, frankly, they are just that nice.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I got my 6s+ in an Apple Store yesterday. They've had such low stock they didn't believe me when I said there had been one on the reserve for pickup page an hour before.

Does anyone have recommendations for a front flap case that can act as a stand? I had a book book on my 4s and I see that the new one can do it, but it also looks like the new one isn't anywhere near as nicely made as the earlier ones. I see people having issues with the soft touch inner plastic case peeling. For now I'm on the apple leather case and it's pretty great.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

powderific posted:

Does anyone have recommendations for a front flap case that can act as a stand? I had a book book on my 4s and I see that the new one can do it, but it also looks like the new one isn't anywhere near as nicely made as the earlier ones. I see people having issues with the soft touch inner plastic case peeling. For now I'm on the apple leather case and it's pretty great.

TwelveSouth Surface Pad is pretty nice. Couple card slots and works as a stand.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

powderific posted:

I got my 6s+ in an Apple Store yesterday. They've had such low stock they didn't believe me when I said there had been one on the reserve for pickup page an hour before.

Where can I go to check the stock at Apple Stores?

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Froist posted:

I don't use YNAB but a different app where I input everything manually - I'm tempted to try YNAB because of this discussion as there are a few niggles with the one I use.

I don't see how it could work without entering everything manually? Maybe it's a cultural thing (jumping to the conclusion that you're American, sorry if I'm wrong), in the UK most people still spend a chunk of money in cash - lunches, beers at the pub, small purchases when shopping.. They're all small payments but all add up and I don't see the point of using a budgeting app and then writing off a bunch of spending as "petty cash" or something. Any integration with Mint (which last time I checked wasn't available over here anyway) would miss all this obviously.

Honestly I don't really need it these days, and certainly not the budgeting side - I started tracking my spending at an old job where I got in a mess with claimed/unclaimed expenses. These days the only real need for it is keeping track of whether housemates have paid me for shared bills and vice versa.

I hate carrying coins and avoid using cash. I use a card for everything unless it's impossible to use a card. Also, I'll actively avoid cash-only businesses (with the rare exceptions of amazing food places, and cleaners since all of them are cash-only). I might be in a weird minority, but why would you use cash when you could otherwise use a card? The old mantra of "it doesn't feel like money" when you use a card I don't think applies in 2015, plus my card expenses are infinitely better tracked than cash ones so the opposite is true.

So Bank of America and Mint kind of help me out with what YNAB would do for me, anyway. Bank of America has a great app if anyone has an account with them but not the app. All of their web stuff is best in the industry as well IMO.

Michael Scott fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Oct 4, 2015

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Question coming from a 5S... is Apple Pay a thing or did that pipe dream fizzle out? My Wallet app won't accept my MasterCard and I honestly don't know what businesses accept Apply Pay anyway. What is this feature all about?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Your bank probably doesn't support ApplePay yet. It's definitely not a pipe dream and I use it all the time.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

smoobles posted:

Question coming from a 5S... is Apple Pay a thing or did that pipe dream fizzle out? My Wallet app won't accept my MasterCard and I honestly don't know what businesses accept Apply Pay anyway. What is this feature all about?

It's one of those Apple features, much like TouchID, that works so well that you almost don't believe it. The first time I used ApplePay I almost couldn't believe the payment had actually gone through.

You can find a list of retailers that accept or will accept Apple Pay here: http://www.apple.com/apple-pay/where-to-use-apple-pay/

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Jose Oquendo posted:

Where can I go to check the stock at Apple Stores?

You can do it from the Apple Store online if you pick the "reserve for pick up" type option.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

smoobles posted:

All 3 of my cards were supported. I haven't had a chance to use it yet since my closest pharmacy is CVS. :v:

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Endless Mike posted:

I will say this: most of my cards are easy to approve (no more than clicking an email link), but my credit union debit card required me to call and give a bunch of verification info. I'm gonna guess that it's an outlier.

My Chase debit cards that used to work flawlessly on Apple Pay now decline like 50% of the time. Not sure if that's Apple, iPhone, or Chase's problem but it sure is a nuisance.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Feenix posted:

My Chase debit cards that used to work flawlessly on Apple Pay now decline like 50% of the time. Not sure if that's Apple, iPhone, or Chase's problem but it sure is a nuisance.

This just started happening to my actual Chase debit card a few weeks ago. Gets declined and the cashier has to run it manually. So maybe it's not Apple Pay, maybe it's Chase.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

smoobles posted:

If you don't have any other means of doing a contactless payment, yet frequently shop at places that accept contactless, it's a really really nice thing. It takes under 5 seconds to go through.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Man touchID is nuts, got a cut on one thumb with a bandaid on it, only a tiny bit of the tip is exposed and I can still unlock the phone with it.

poo poo is magic and blows my mind.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

I don't really understand the point of Apple Pay since using it isn't any easier than just swiping a card through a reader. Maybe if you've got 12 cards and don't want to carry them all around?

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

Mattavist posted:

I don't really understand the point of Apple Pay since using it isn't any easier than just swiping a card through a reader. Maybe if you've got 12 cards and don't want to carry them all around?

If your phone is easier to reach than your wallet, it's more convenient. Or if you have an Apple Watch, is even faster yet. I've gotten very used to double pressing the side button and holding my watch near the reader. Super fast, no digging for a wallet and having to pull out a card and then put it all back.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

To be fair my phone case is my wallet.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
It's at least 2x easier to tap my phone/watch against a terminal than swiping my card.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Especially now that pin and chip is becoming widespread. They are super slow.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Also if you forget your wallet, you still have a way to pay for things.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Endless Mike posted:

Also if you forget your wallet, you still have a way to pay for things.

Except if you forgot your phone. I've left my phone far more than my wallet. Wallet is near the keys while my phone could be anywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Before I spend $5 on Overcast, is there a better podcast app out there?