Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Swedish Horror
Jan 16, 2013

Apparently there will be more dialogue for Triss romance in a future patch. I guess it's needed because I can't think of a single thing that romancing her gets you(other than Yennefer teleporting you above a lake). At least choosing Yen gets Lambert and Eskel to banter with you when you drink with them.

Swedish Horror fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Oct 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006
Speaking of future patches, any word on when we can expect 1.09, roughly even?

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

MooCowlian posted:

How much impact does romance choices have on the rest of the game? Is it a few isolated scenes, bioware/bethesda style, or is it going to have larger impacts? I'm told that romancing Triss locks me out of romancing Yennefer later, and but I've gone another five or six hours beyond that.

edit: alternatively, is there any way of fudging a save?
No, you can actually "do" both. Go ahead. Try it. See what happens.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Swedish Horror posted:

Apparently there will be more dialogue for Triss romance in a future patch. I guess it's needed because I can't think of a single thing that romancing her gets you(other than Yennefer teleporting you above a lake). At least choosing Yen gets Lambert and Eskel to banter with you when you drink with them.

There's the lighthouse scene and making all the interactions between Geralt and Yennefer super awkward but that's about it.

The Deadly Hume posted:

No, you can actually "do" both. Go ahead. Try it. See what happens.

It was very brave of CDPR to show an open relationship in a positive light this way. I hope it opened some minds. Love is meant to be shared, and monogamy is a social prison.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Spite posted:

Well, you don't. But Emhyr is very good at killing his enemies.

Think about this: Emhyr is the only person you ever see Yennefer show any sort of deference to. Because he's basically the only person she's wary of.

Yeah, I'm certainly underestimating Emhyr's power and influence. I suppose I just got it in my mind that Philippa is (one of) the most powerful individuals in the world, killing her would be pretty drat hard even for an Emperor of half the world.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.

Spite posted:

Well, you don't. But Emhyr is very good at killing his enemies.

Think about this: Emhyr is the only person you ever see Yennefer show any sort of deference to. Because he's basically the only person she's wary of.

And he's played by Tywin Lannister! Watch out for that guy

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009

man nurse posted:

So I'm playing the original Witcher after having beaten 2 and 3, and.. oof.

Is it worth it? I kind of want to fill in the gaps of where all these characters came from and whatnot.

I'm replaying Witcher 1 at the moment and I'm enjoying it a hell of a lot more than the other two games, despite the game being rather... wonky at times.

But, if you don't enjoy it, then why play it? Just read up on what happens in that case.

EDIT: That said, I think Act I is easily the worst part of the game. Act II is way better, even though it has the game's arguably worst area (the swamp).

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

SectumSempra posted:

just a silent j.

Shockeh posted:

Deek-stra.

Rhyming with 'Creek'.

But the computer scientist is pronounced like this:

Yoshimo posted:

DYKE-stra?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

The Sharmat posted:

There's the lighthouse scene and making all the interactions between Geralt and Yennefer super awkward but that's about it.
It's one of the funniest scenes in the game though so it checks out.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
man im kind of disappointed at the level gating in this game. here's a question mark!! go to it hahah its level 15 eat poo poo

heres a quest. its level 33. i dunno why we gave it to you at level 4 but whatever

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Yeah it doesn't hold your hand as much as other games.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Yeah but it feels pretty good to go back and slaughter those motherfuckers when you're more powerful.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

The Deadly Hume posted:

Yeah it doesn't hold your hand as much as other games.

The artificial boost to higher level enemies is stupid though. As is auto-leveled loot. Make it like Morrowind, let me kill this Level 30 fiend if I'm good enough and get a godlike sword for my level out of it.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood
Leveling wise you can totally take things out 10 levels above you from like level 13-14 with the right gear. (earlier if you have the right upgrades)

The one enemy I saw and knew I wasn't going anywhere loving near early was a random leshen just walking around off the path of a place of power.

After reading about it, i was very right in avoiding it, I was level 7 or 8.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

SectumSempra posted:

Leveling wise you can totally take things out 10 levels above you from like level 13-14 with the right gear. (earlier if you have the right upgrades)

The one enemy I saw and knew I wasn't going anywhere loving near early was a random leshen just walking around off the path of a place of power.

After reading about it, i was very right in avoiding it, I was level 7 or 8.

Regardless of your ability to win the fight, he's right that it's silly to give higher-level enemies a boost on top of their increased stats just because you're more than 5 levels away or whatever.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

GrossMurpel posted:

Regardless of your ability to win the fight, he's right that it's silly to give higher-level enemies a boost on top of their increased stats just because you're more than 5 levels away or whatever.

Wait a minute, the enemies have different stats based on the players level? :wtc:

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Also if you kill a level 30 enemy at level 10, you don't get a level 30 reward from their guarded treasure or whatever, you get a level 10 one. I also wish you could tell more easily how high level something was by monster type (A Leshen should never be lower level than an unnamed random Drowner), but the quest progression kind of screws that. Honestly, if they make a Witcher 4 I hope they do a levelless system.

pik_d posted:

Wait a minute, the enemies have different stats based on the players level? :wtc:
Yes. If they're high enough level to have a skull icon they get a flat boost to their damage and HP on top of the fact that they're already higher level than you.

The Sharmat fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Oct 4, 2015

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood

The Sharmat posted:

Yes. If they're high enough level to have a skull icon they get a flat boost to their damage and HP on top of the fact that they're already higher level than you.

Did not know that.

So thats why that fiend pretty much did 40% of my health per single it.

gear wise, i just sell everything because witcher school gear seems fine so far.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

It says I need Triss to look at this Soldier Statuette. However, she hopped on the boat and I haven't seen her since. Is that side quest as good as dead? Or do I run into her later?

Beeez
May 28, 2012

The Sharmat posted:

Also if you kill a level 30 enemy at level 10, you don't get a level 30 reward from their guarded treasure or whatever, you get a level 10 one. I also wish you could tell more easily how high level something was by monster type (A Leshen should never be lower level than an unnamed random Drowner), but the quest progression kind of screws that. Honestly, if they make a Witcher 4 I hope they do a levelless system.

The only thing I like about the leveling element is I like that you're encouraged to revisit certain places. If anything, I think they should've made more of the quests in act 1 higher level to encourage one to return later. I'm in Skellige and I outlevel almost every quest I've found so far by 4-5 levels. Plus, it sounds like a lot of the quests can be done in act 2 but I don't know why I would when I'm just gonna outlevel them even more if I hold off on them.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Yeah, I know it's difficult to balance because not everyone wants to play every sidequest, but as someone who had been doing that, I've had to crank the difficulty up and start ignoring most of it just to make the game feel remotely challenging. I can see why people make a case for scaling rather than keeping things set.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Crows Turn Off posted:

It says I need Triss to look at this Soldier Statuette. However, she hopped on the boat and I haven't seen her since. Is that side quest as good as dead? Or do I run into her later?

She'll be back.

Beeez posted:

The only thing I like about the leveling element is I like that you're encouraged to revisit certain places. If anything, I think they should've made more of the quests in act 1 higher level to encourage one to return later. I'm in Skellige and I outlevel almost every quest I've found so far by 4-5 levels. Plus, it sounds like a lot of the quests can be done in act 2 but I don't know why I would when I'm just gonna outlevel them even more if I hold off on them.

They could do that in a system where there were no levels or levels mattered less. See: Morrowind. You can go into a Daedric ruin at right off the boat. It's tough, but it can be done.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Crows Turn Off posted:

She'll be back but a few of those Statuette quests are bugged.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

GreenNight posted:

She'll be back but a few of those Statuette quests are bugged.

Yeah, I completed them, but then in the endgame one of them randomly came back.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I completed then, then they came back again and I couldn't complete them a second time.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

It wont help completionist OCD but if you are just worried about missing something good, those statue quests don't really get you anything.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

The Sharmat posted:

She'll be back.

They could do that in a system where there were no levels or levels mattered less. See: Morrowind. You can go into a Daedric ruin at right off the boat. It's tough, but it can be done.

Right, but I'm saying they could actually have stood to space out the quests more, as it seems like they really front-loaded the game.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Pwnstar posted:

It wont help completionist OCD but if you are just worried about missing something good, those statue quests don't really get you anything.

Yeah it's just a short scene each, mostly tie-ins to a prequel book that isn't even translated into English. Also they forgot that being decompressed is supposed to be horrible but I guess that's a minor gripe.

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

I haven't played many video games anymore these past few years, and I am wary of fantasy these days because even though I love well imagined and detailed worlds, I'm tired of the "ridiculously powerful chosen one destined to save the world because prophesy" shtick. Is there anything in the genre that literally has none of these tropes?

Even still, this game hooked me because it feels like developers cared so much about it. You can't help but respect the sheer work involved to make something like this. I could never get into the main story and the romance choices feel like a bit tacked on to have sex scenes (I was expecting some interactions between Yen and Triss, with Geralt in the middle being hilariously out of his depth, and maybe even a specific questline depending on who you pursue), but man I can spend a long time just riding from town to town fulfilling contracts and hunting treasure, as well as slowly walking away from exploding monster nests. It's just an awesome world to live in.

As it is, the game is somewhat divided between killing monsters for a living, and a completely unrelated standard save the world get the girl stuff. I wish the two were a bit more interwowen a bit more so that you're witchering a bit more. I helped stop the end of the world, now where's my drat money?

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
This isn't really a save the world game and Geralt isn't the chosen one. All that crap is just background. The game's main plot is really about his personal relationships, particularly with Ciri. I mean technically the world gets saved at one point, but it's only indirectly because of Geralt and is done without his knowledge and consent, because he doesn't really care that much about it. It wasn't his focus or the games'. That's about as far from the trope as you're gonna get in fantasy video games, I'm afraid. It should never come up in any eventual continuations at least since that whole subplot is wrapped up for good apparently.

"Romance choices" tend to be crappy in games in practice, and I much prefer the way this game handled it (it's mostly interwoven into the narrative instead of a whole largely separate module) to how RPGs normally do it.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

The Sharmat posted:

The artificial boost to higher level enemies is stupid though. As is auto-leveled loot. Make it like Morrowind, let me kill this Level 30 fiend if I'm good enough and get a godlike sword for my level out of it.

fortunately it's trivial to mod out most scaling on PC

Hallowed
May 28, 2007

It's a pipe bomb!
Can't find the last two ingredients I need to upgrade my basic bear sword: White gull and Basalie (spelling) fruit - I hate missing one alchemy substance...

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
White Gull is something you mix yourself and the Balisse fruit is avilable at herbalists I think.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I have nothing against having a big world with various enemy levels too high for you to engage when you're too weak so that felt right to me. However those enemies should drop loot on their level which would be enough of an incentive to try attacking them and later have a piece of unique equipment waiting in the stash until you level up enough to use it.

UnfurledSails posted:

the romance choices feel like a bit tacked on to have sex scenes
I couldn't disagree more to this and I have no idea how you see it this way. There is one sex scene for Triss and one for Yen, both to reinforce the bond between them and Geralt and both relationships are shown in various stages of development when you're pursuing them. I mean of course you can still not like those stories, there's nothing wrong with that but there's so much relationship build up around it, complete with side quests that saying that it's all to have a sex scene feels like you're seeing things you're used to seeing in other games that aren't really in this game. Of course if the players wants to see tits in this title all they need to do is go to a brothel and the minor romance options have the fanservice sex-to-relatioship ratio to them but that aspect isn't there for the big romance options in the game.

Palpek fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Oct 5, 2015

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

The Sharmat posted:

Yeah it's just a short scene each, mostly tie-ins to a prequel book that isn't even translated into English. Also they forgot that being decompressed is supposed to be horrible but I guess that's a minor gripe.
I enjoyed the gag about compression artifacts though.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Palpek posted:

I have nothing against having a big world with various enemy levels too high for you to engage when you're too weak so that felt right to me. However those enemies should drop loot on their level which would be enough of an incentive to try attacking them and later have a piece of unique equipment waiting in the stash until you level up enough to use it.

I couldn't disagree more to this and I have no idea how you see it this way. There is one sex scene for Triss and one for Yen, both to reinforce the bond between them and Geralt and both relationships are shown in various stages of development when you're pursuing them. I mean of course you can still not like those stories, there's nothing wrong with that but there's so much relationship build up around it, complete with side quests that saying that it's all to have a sex scene feels like you're seeing things you're used to seeing in other games that aren't really in this game. Of course if the players wants to see tits in this title all they need to do is go to a brothel and the minor romance options have the fanservice sex-to-relatioship ratio to them but that aspect isn't there for the big romance options in the game.

You feel very strongly about Geralt and his love choices.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

Blacktoll posted:

You feel very strongly about Geralt and his love choices.

Well, they are the best romances ever written in an RPG, so... I figure it's worth talking about.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

The Iron Rose posted:

fortunately it's trivial to mod out most scaling on PC

Wait, really? How so? I really feel this is one game that is weakened by the levelling mechanics.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

ZearothK posted:

Wait, really? How so? I really feel this is one game that is weakened by the levelling mechanics.

I haven't played in like a month, but this is the one I used:

http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/449/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

Well, they are the best romances ever written in an RPG, so... I figure it's worth talking about.

Seconded. I actually gave a poo poo about the complex relationships that the characters already have and continue to develop in the game.