Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

a cop posted:

There's seriously going to be another season of this??

There another mini during the walking dead season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

quote:

AMC has debuted the first part of “Fear the Walking Dead: Flight 462” ahead of the zombie show’s season one finale. The 16-part webseries will be available online as well as airing during commercial breaks for “The Walking Dead” season six, which premieres Oct. 11 on the cable network. Each episode will be around one minute in length.

What the...well, ok.

El Boot
Mar 18, 2009

Thank Dog It's Friday

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

The Antlers was not very high on the list of bands I expected to hear on this show. This episode was pretty sweet.

Yeah, that threw me a little. Pretty fitting thematically, though, really.

Iowa Snow King
Jan 5, 2008
The Walking Dead: The Last Ship

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Man, if only every episode had this kind of...stuff happening. It's very bad on many levels but at least this episode had some excitement.

What the gently caress are they going to do on a boat? They are going even further away from the (extremely cool) idea of zombie LA. Christ.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

JossiRossi posted:

I don't know why, but I was kind of hoping they wouldn't pull the, "Let someone go as an act of compassion" only for them to deux ex plotica back to cause trouble. Guess I forgot what show I was watching.

Seriously, I groaned when he appeared. I mean, why use your second chance at life to try link up with some other soldiers, rearm and get the hell out of there when you can hide in the parking garage twirling your mustache to pop out just in time to ruin the family reunion by shooting a woman that you used to care about instead of shooting that guy that actually tortured you. Makes total sense.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

meanolmrcloud posted:

Man, if only every episode had this kind of...stuff happening. It's very bad on many levels but at least this episode had some excitement.

What the gently caress are they going to do on a boat? They are going even further away from the (extremely cool) idea of zombie LA. Christ.

Fuel will be a real PITA. Other than that, decent idea.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

The Good: Smooth Talker, El Salvidad, Johnny Depp-endency
The Bad: Bad CGI, horrible attempts at monologues, strangely empty city, worn-out evil military trope.

Final Verdict: If you like TWD universe, there are worse ways to spend an hour a week on Sunday nights when the original show and Game of Thrones are on hiatus.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
It started off good, but this show bored the hell out of me. I barely know any of the characters names and I kept waiting to see LA get nuked but nope nothing.

Tony_Montana
Apr 1, 2010
I was fully expecting to see Alizia kidnapped / raped. Would be the first sign of real brutality on this show, the apocalypse has been forgiving to the characters so far.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Why they made the premiere 90 minutes and not the finale is beyond me.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I want Strand to show up years later in TWD on the next season. In a perfect suit.

And simultaneously be on FTWD. :allears:

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
Watching the rerun. Did the family really release a stadium of zombies on a residential part of the city?

Iowa Snow King
Jan 5, 2008

Mooseontheloose posted:

Watching the rerun. Did the family really release a stadium of zombies on a residential part of the city?

Apparently it was the only way to get inside the heavily guarded compound where they were getting ready to execute the patients

except for the ones they were evacuating to safety I mean

I guess they were going to have a poo poo-load of coin-tosses or something

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Mooseontheloose posted:

The complex is some ways away.

But they didn't close the gate so they basically doomed all of their neighbours.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Dantu posted:

Seriously, I groaned when he appeared. I mean, why use your second chance at life to try link up with some other soldiers, rearm and get the hell out of there when you can hide in the parking garage twirling your mustache to pop out just in time to ruin the family reunion by shooting a woman that you used to care about instead of shooting that guy that actually tortured you. Makes total sense.

I mean, the man had just brutally tortured him for hours. He was probably severely traumatized and it was pretty clear that Salvidad was the kind of person who was prepared to die. Killing his daughter would hurt him so much more than just killing him. It's not hard to understand why he would want revenge unless you're one of those people who thinks that every single character should be in 100% logical survival mode 24\7 under constant pressure.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Pillowpants posted:

It started off good, but this show bored the hell out of me. I barely know any of the characters names and I kept waiting to see LA get nuked but nope nothing.

Most of the characters have one or in a few cases two emotions. The hispanic kid is exclusively angry, torture-dad is melancholic, white mom is concerned. Travis' entire character is that he's naive. Chris is the closest thing to a human being but mainly he's an addict. The rest of the cast is generic wallpaint. Thing is, over the course of 6 episodes very little has happened. The epidemic started and they fled to a house in the sticks. Everything in between didn't matter. The military were douchebags for ~¤reasons¤~ so they had to go on a field trip and then that was it. The first 6 episodes were like the first 15 minutes of Dawn of the Dead except with more boringer people and less murder.

Sypher
Feb 4, 2003

Dantu posted:

He went back to the only fortified place he knew of. He probably just went YOLO once he found out it was overrun.

Edit: I am guessing something will prevent them from going on the boat. There is zero threat while they are on the boat, which means no suspense and no story. Unless they do a time lapse to when they run out of supplies/navigate to an island(Alcatraz?).

Sypher fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Oct 5, 2015

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Tenzarin posted:

So like a few episodes next time to get to the boat, then a zombie boat adventure.

Uh excuse me, the entire second season will be the quest for the boat. Don't worry it won't be as boring as it sounds. There will be plenty of family drama to fill the time.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Also by the time they get to the boat Z Nation will have already done a Zombie Pirates episode...

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

This poo poo is dumb as gently caress. Bullet proof chain link fences? The "Look! We're in LA! We're driving in the canal!" scene. And, assholes leaving the fence open. Seriously, throw my vote in with the "shoulda nuked LA" crowd

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
Not too bad for a finale, the show improved near the end.

Although the zombie genre is becoming too much of a commonality on tv and in movies. I'm pretty sure NBC considered a zombie sitcom in the last 2 years.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Sammus posted:

This poo poo is dumb as gently caress. Bullet proof chain link fences? The "Look! We're in LA! We're driving in the canal!" scene. And, assholes leaving the fence open. Seriously, throw my vote in with the "shoulda nuked LA" crowd

I don't mind any of that but for the life of me I can't figure out what the military's plan from the jump. Like, get in say gently caress it and then leave?

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Overall pretty epic episode

nopants
May 29, 2004
TBH I don't mind that the military was presented as incompetent dicks. Payback for all the bullshit I have to put up with at sporting events.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Should just go live in the arena now that it's empty

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Astroman posted:

I want Strand to show up years later in TWD on the next season. In a perfect suit.

And simultaneously be on FTWD. :allears:

I'm gonna be pissed when Strand dies because he's already more interesting than the rest of the cast (other than Depp Jr.) and most of TWD's actual cast, too.

Iowa Snow King
Jan 5, 2008
The more I think about it the more jarring the neighborhood gate thing is. If every one of the people in the crowd in ep. 4 has a house with other people in it, that's a lot of people, and in the beginning of ep. 4 I think they were bringing in people from outside, so there had to at least be a 100-200 people there.

whalesteak
May 6, 2013

"Strand, are you insane?"
"The only way to survive a mad world is to embrace the madness"
"Is that a yes?"

Sure it took 6 episodes, and it's not the most original joke penned in AMC history, but dammit I'd like to salute the writer who managed to slip a fleeting moment of enjoyable dialogue in past the showrunner. It was pithy and I chuckled. Congrats, competent tv writer. Of course, when someone finally notices what you've done, I'm sure you'll be pushed out of the show, so they can avoid having that happen again.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Aphrodite posted:

That doesn't say why though. I'm curious why can it kill a cow easily but not a human?

It doesn't kill the cow, it just renders it unconscious while they slit it's throat.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Okay yeah, that's what I thought. The article mentions it's for killing them though, I guess they don't mean directly.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

I think my favorite part of the finale was that dude straight up walking into the helicopter blades for some reason.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Hobo Clown posted:

I think my favorite part of the finale was that dude straight up walking into the helicopter blades for some reason.

He was bit real bad in the neck and knew it was a quick way to end it.

Really wasn't the hardest part to understand from this episode.

But it was awesome.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

If this show were to completely veer off course and turn into a zombie-themed nautical pirate adventure it would be the best thing ever.

I wonder what sort of mediocre alternative the writers are actually going with.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I hope Strand has a smaller boat so that he he can get to his big boat

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Finding a smaller boat to get to the bigger boat will be the arc of the entire second season.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
The good: poo poo finally happened. All the poo poo inside the suburb should have been condensed into one episode and this should have been episode 4. It didn't even have to have this much action and budget, but instead of loving around for a couple weeks they should have been going places, doing thangs. AMCs idea of a season is a decent opening and finale and a shitload of filler in between, gotta keep making those sausages.

The bad: a bunch of guys with machine guns behind a chain link fence were overwhelmed because their bullets ricocheted from the fence? Seriously? I've never watched Z Nation but I imagined this sort of stuff would be more fitting there.
Midway through the episode the family goes all Latter Day Rick Gang, they work very effectively as a zombie killing team and even go as far as training a huge horde against a target, something even the Rick Gang wouldn't take lightly.

The ugly: goody two shoes Travis, can't hurt a fly. After driving by his neighbor's homes and watching them have dinner with their children he can't be arsed to close the gate to keep the flesh eating monsters away because what have they done for us lately anyway.
Then let's unleash a horde of undead in a medical facility full of (presumably) still alive civilians. Our heroes. :bravo:

Actually scratch that, I don't even mind that they are assholes from the get go, Strand is my favorite character. I just wish that if the characters are assholes then they should have done something more with that before they just started dispassionately loving everyone else over.

Anyway, this would have been a great episode 4. Episode 5 should have been the trip to the marina and in the season finale the family inevitably gets StrandedTM. Cue rubber dingy disappearing into the sunset, cut to Strand smoking a cigar as the suckers jump up and down on the marina, an overhead shot shows a horde approaching the family. :lost:

e:

Fitzy Fitz posted:

If this show were to completely veer off course and turn into a zombie-themed nautical pirate adventure it would be the best thing ever.

I wonder what sort of mediocre alternative the writers are actually going with.

Zilligan's Island

MeLKoR fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Oct 5, 2015

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

TraderStav posted:

He was bit real bad in the neck and knew it was a quick way to end it.

Really wasn't the hardest part to understand from this episode.

But it was awesome.

Also, everyone was ignoring him when he asked for help.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Strand better start exclaiming Zihuatanejo! every time someone asks him where they're going

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tellah
Aug 8, 2014

MeLKoR posted:

Then let's unleash a horde of undead in a medical facility full of (presumably) still alive civilians. Our heroes.

Apart from the El Salvadorean, I don't think anybody understood the consequences of releasing zombies to attack the military compound (whether with respect to the civilian/military patients inside the base or their now-exposed neighbors). The zombie attack really didn't have any moral heft to it since none of the characters addressed the ramifications of what they'd done.

Sammus posted:

The "Look! We're in LA! We're driving in the canal!" scene.

That was by far the best set of shots in this whole misbegotten miniseries. Hope this helps.

• Locked thread