Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The size of the UK compared to the US

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Gee, "truesize", Greenland looks awfully big on your maps.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The UK is smaller than California, in terms of area:

Cliff Racer posted:

Why_the_Mercator_projection_sucks.png:

The UK is farther north than non-Alaska US, and consequently, looks bigger than it should by comparison on a Mercator projected map, which is the map the vast majority of people are most familiar with.

also:

Africa is really loving big

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Oct 4, 2015

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

gently caress Mercator

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Cojawfee posted:

What's the farthest you've driven at a time in the UK? I can drive for seven hours straight and not even leave Texas. Also, that's a thing in the US. Traveling is determined by hours of driving, not by distance.

I can drive for two days in my state and not even be at the northern end of it. (Queensland). Western Australia is taller again. It's crazy as a non european to think that the hours drive south to go interstate is enough to get to another country in a lot of places.

Leperflesh posted:

I think this helps to drive it home:

The flight time is deceptive, since it includes a stopover; but a direct Miami:Seattle flight is over 5 hours, which is similar to a flight from London, UK to Athens, Greece.

Thats 1 state.

E: Holy poo poo Queensland is nearly as tall as the entirety of America on the map.

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Oct 4, 2015

Moose King
Nov 5, 2009

Cliff Racer posted:

Grab Greenland and drag it. It's a Mercator, but it properly scales down the closer you get to the equator. Pretty cool site.

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

A big "Fuck You!" from the Keyhole nebula

Lipstick Apathy

Picnic Princess posted:

gently caress Mercator

I'm a Dymaxion fan myself but nothng really beats a globe.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Picnic Princess posted:

gently caress Mercator

every flat map of the globe must distort something. Can't peel an orange without tearing the peel.

leave mercator alone or I'll peel you

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

simosimo posted:

I LOVED the thread about the goon who was gonna walk across a America but gave up after 6 days. Probably the best thread I have ever read.

the best part is a canadian man did the same thing a few months ago, as far as I know he either finished or is close to finishing.

http://www.sootoday.com/content/news/details.asp?c=94950

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Mercator is great, it's not its fault that it was misused.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Edit: nm

monster on a stick fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Oct 4, 2015

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Bunch of hobbitses sledging about maps

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
anyone in the us thinking of climbing a tall mountain should drive up pikes peak to understand what its like when oxygen suddenly gets thin and thats at only 4km high which you can comfortably drive to there

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I wouldn't exactly say it's a comfortable drive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEuZG37gFdM

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Cruel and Unusual posted:

Mercator is great, it's not its fault that it was misused.

Yeah the first thing they taught us about Mercator projection in nautical school was "don't use it to represent areas above 60 degrees of latitude." Welp.

Accuracy of angles though, woo.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer
I've just started reading Lene Gammelgard's account of 1996. It's kind of a diary and stilted in a very Danish way so we'll see how we get on.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Minrad posted:

the best part is a canadian man did the same thing a few months ago, as far as I know he either finished or is close to finishing.

http://www.sootoday.com/content/news/details.asp?c=94950

A dude with no legs did it sooooooo

Egoist
Aug 19, 2010

Love myself today
Let you go today
Lipstick Apathy

MANGOSTEEN CURES P posted:

And this is without even leaving the Atlantic coastline.

I do almost this exact trip every year (Montreal to Jacksonville and back) and it is incredibly boring and there's not much to see on 95. N and S Carolina are the worst parts of the whole trip too.

5/10, hesitantly recommend

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

October Revolution posted:

I do almost this exact trip every year (Montreal to Jacksonville and back) and it is incredibly boring and there's not much to see on 95. N and S Carolina are the worst parts of the whole trip too.

5/10, hesitantly recommend

But I-95 through the Carolinas has South of the Border, the tackiest tourist trap known to man, plus all the billboards with horrible puns (PEDRO SAYS "HOT DOG! YOU NEVER SAUSAGE A PLACE") for like 700 miles beforehand. It's poo poo but at least it helps the monotony.

The worst part is getting to Florida for the first time and not realizing just how much farther you have to drive to get to Miami, let alone Key West. Second worst part is the Baltimore-DC corridor. Feels like you're always guaranteed a few dozen miles of stop-n-go outside Baltimore no matter what time of day you travel.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Very few roads in Britain that you'll actually drive on are Romans - most of our motorways (highways) are routed via major cities and towns, so they are significantly slower than the U.S. Highways even though our speed limits are slightly higher, on average. I've done some big drives in the U.S. and while the big empty middle is boring, you can go quickly and there's little traffic on the interstates. I've done some ridiculous drives in Africa though - half the distance across the U.S, and on sand and dirt, fixing your bloody tires while on route. Pain in the rear end. Good adventure though. Who needs Everest when you have the dunes of the Ubari sand sea?

Lufiron
Nov 24, 2005

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

now show me a whizbang inforgraphic about mountians

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVX-PrBRtTY

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Map_projection

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Oct 5, 2015

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

"Go gently caress Yourself You Don't Know poo poo"

a new show about by Aaron Sorkin

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

lenoon posted:

Very few roads in Britain that you'll actually drive on are Romans - most of our motorways (highways) are routed via major cities and towns, so they are significantly slower than the U.S. Highways even though our speed limits are slightly higher, on average. I've done some big drives in the U.S. and while the big empty middle is boring, you can go quickly and there's little traffic on the interstates. I've done some ridiculous drives in Africa though - half the distance across the U.S, and on sand and dirt, fixing your bloody tires while on route. Pain in the rear end. Good adventure though. Who needs Everest when you have the dunes of the Ubari sand sea?

There was a TV show made a few years ago called Trabant Trek where some enterprising young folk decide to do long drives (Europe to Thailand, then EU to South Africa) that would be perilous in an actual car. The Trabant was... not the vehicle I would have chosen.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

monster on a stick posted:

I've done the northern route - it can be pretty, if you like long stretches of nothing (the Dakotas) and then Glacier National Park which is amazing. Long as hell though, you really do want to plan things out; not just sightseeing but making sure you stop for a break every few hours, are always topped up on gas, and don't find yourself in the middle of nowhere at 11pm with only a Motel 6 to sleep at.

I imagine it'd be interesting in an RV, my uncle did it and had fun but I don't think my hair is blue enough.

I've done just about every route you can imagine between Southern California and Indiana.

To some extent, depending on your approach from the outset, it can get pretty annoying. This is especially the case if you're like me and:

1. Are an American and take the vastness and diversity of the U.S. for granted;
2. You've got a timeline you have to keep

However, much like Muslims and the Hajj, I recommend that anyone who can afford to drive across the U.S. Or Canada do so at least once.

If you've got time to spend, and stop often, it is an amazing experience. My last trip I did Route 66 east bound and I took 11 days to go from LA to Indianapolis.

I could have spent 2 months doing this drive if I did not have to work.

Nether Postlude
Aug 17, 2009

His mind will keep
reverting to the last
biscuit on the plate.
I highly recommend driving cross country too. I've done Michigan to Los Angeles before. I was totally shocked with the incredible beauty I saw in Utah. Everything was great until we hit Arizona along the 10 Freeway. At that point, you're driving through a level of hell that doesn't end until you hit the border of California. (Seriously, don't break down in Arizona and always watch your gas level.)

It's a great way to hit a lot of states you might not visit by regular travel.

Also Lufiron that was a great gif. It seems like the Mercator map favors countries above the equator, if we think bigger = better. It definitely doesn't give Africa or Australia a fair shake.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
It actually just favors countries that are farther away from the equator, its not Mercator's fault that there's a huge swath of ocean below southern Africa and Australia that people just forget about most of the time.

And the Arizona/California border was surreal back when I went through in the nineties. On one side desert and nothing, on the other the road is lined with palm trees for what seemed like the whole way to the coast.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
What's so hellish about driving through Arizona?

Also I'm sure there's modern strategies for long trips - but sans a mobile phone how do you gauge fuel when you know there will be next to none (?) petrol stations.

Even in our 'rural' areas we still have little towns with branded petrol stations. Do you pretty much too up at every gas station just to be sure or Jerry can it etc

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Nothing, its not California but its a drat sight better than Kansas/west Texas/northern Ontario or even Nevada.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I've driven through every state west of the Mississippi, where most of the loving bullshit is, and without a doubt the worst two stretches in the continental United States are the Great Painted Desert of Wyoming and the panhandle of Texas. I sort of enjoyed North Dakota and eastern Washington but there's nothing there except the slightest suggestion of topography.

I would say this photograph (intersection w/ I40, which runs through Amarillo) is generous, as apparently they'd had some rain in the last few months and there are suggestions of plants:

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Pick posted:

I've driven through every state west of the Mississippi, where most of the loving bullshit is, and without a doubt the worst two stretches in the continental United States are the Great Painted Desert of Wyoming and the panhandle of Texas. I sort of enjoyed North Dakota and eastern Washington but there's nothing there except the slightest suggestion of topography.

I would say this photograph (intersection w/ I40, which runs through Amarillo) is generous, as apparently they'd had some rain in the last few months and there are suggestions of plants:

Not pictured: the local cop who is desperate to bring some money, ANY MONEY, into his little town by way of traffic tickets. But don't worry, he's out there, hiding behind a rock or something just waiting to get you.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

simosimo posted:

What's so hellish about driving through Arizona?

Also I'm sure there's modern strategies for long trips - but sans a mobile phone how do you gauge fuel when you know there will be next to none (?) petrol stations.

Even in our 'rural' areas we still have little towns with branded petrol stations. Do you pretty much too up at every gas station just to be sure or Jerry can it etc

Almost all little towns here have gas stations as well. Except in very rural areas, or if you are driving through a large park or something, there may not be any towns at all for hours. A mobile may not help you there because cell phone service is far from guaranteed.

On most highways there is a "no services for X miles" sign for particularly desolate stretches, because people are used to every Interstate exit having a gas station.

If you are driving for that long, you are (and should be) stopping every few hours anyway to stretch your legs/hit the restroom/whatever, and filling the gas tank while you do that isn't a big deal.

I don't know anyone who carries Jerry cans unless they are doing something like the Dempster Highway. (Which I'd love to do someday but :effort:)

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

Pick posted:

What is the opposite of everest doing in the everest thread

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

"The opposite of tallest mountain is not deepest sea. It is boring flatass plains"
-Talmud

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Cliff Racer posted:

Not pictured: the local cop who is desperate to bring some money, ANY MONEY, into his little town by way of traffic tickets. But don't worry, he's out there, hiding behind a rock or something just waiting to get you.
I think you're overestimating the occurrence of towns on I40 through the panhandle.

Its a really surreal drive. You could be driving 90mph and feel like you're going nowhere because there are so few landmarks, and also because the locals are all going 120.

Rhymes With Clue
Nov 18, 2010

Overestimating the vastness? There is an old song by Gene Pitney where the guy is breaking up with his lady because he met someone and he was "Only 24 hours from Tulsa, only one day away from your charms."

Tulsa is...pretty central. I used to hear this and wonder where the hell he was. Alaska?

{And why am I writing this in the Everest thread?)

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

zedprime posted:

I think you're overestimating the occurrence of towns on I40 through the panhandle.

Its a really surreal drive. You could be driving 90mph and feel like you're going nowhere because there are so few landmarks, and also because the locals are all going 120.

I got pulled over for 72 in a 70 (I was actually going 70) outside Amarillo because I dared to drive with an out of state license plate. Got boxed in by 4 cop cars for a few minutes before one of them turned his lights on and pulled me over.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Pick posted:

I've driven through every state west of the Mississippi, where most of the loving bullshit is, and without a doubt the worst two stretches in the continental United States are the Great Painted Desert of Wyoming and the panhandle of Texas.

That's a strong thing to say about the same chunk of land that includes Nebraska.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

Sex Hobbit posted:

That's a strong thing to say about the same chunk of land that includes Nebraska.
Is it Nebraska that has nearly identical rest stops separated by long stretches of highway? Real Twilight Zone time loop poo poo according to a friend.

• Locked thread