Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Bat Kart: 24 Hours of Halloween

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
I am honsetly curious what the gently caress happend to Arkham knight in development that made it turn this crappy. the first 2 were great. and origins was pretty good at points. My biggest issues is there are very few good scripted moments/fights/stealth. it just felt to Ubisoft open world TM. that and too much poo poo with the car. all the terrible moments in knight had the car involved.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I am honsetly curious what the gently caress happend to Arkham knight in development that made it turn this crappy. the first 2 were great. and origins was pretty good at points. My biggest issues is there are very few good scripted moments/fights/stealth. it just felt to Ubisoft open world TM. that and too much poo poo with the car. all the terrible moments in knight had the car involved.

According to reports Rocksteady had an absurdly hard time creating the open world and getting it to run well. They got it working (more or less) properly on consoles but only after a huge delay.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

ImpAtom posted:

According to reports Rocksteady had an absurdly hard time creating the open world and getting it to run well. They got it working (more or less) properly on consoles but only after a huge delay.

i can see that. its not even the technical problems i am dissipointed in(well them too). its how none of the stuff realy flows together well. in arkham city, you see the different gangs move around the city as the story progressed or as the world changed. that doesn't really happen much in knight, hell you barely fight penguin or two-face. I thought the whole story was going to be all the heavy hitters uniting to kill batman, but nope they kinda just do there own thing and thats it. the stealth feels to "actiony" and there are not enough big fist fights. and it doesnt help that all the dlc so far except for the batgirl one has been meh. the new cars would be awesome if you could actually use them in game.(yeah i know you can, but its boring because they dont have guns.)

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Oct 4, 2015

l33t b4c0n
Aug 19, 2000

King of E/N
Part of the problem with at least predator encounters is that unlike the previous games they're not confined to a singular room. They often take place in the open world, allowing you to easily grapple out of the range of the encounter if you're spotted. While it's a little more realistic, it doesn't ultimately make for good gameplay. I guess I'm wondering why they thought a change like that was a good thing when it worked so well for two games (three if you count Origins).

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

The sad thing is, to fix these issues, I think it comes down to the producers to stop pushing the Open World aspect to the Batman franchise and I don't see this happening at all when WB inevitably makes the next non rocksteady installment.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
The series' main problem is going open world while continuing to use the events from Asylum as a basis. Batman getting injected with something loses impact when it happens every game, especially when the reason it worked in the first game was due to Scarecrow attacking when you least expected it.

Now it's just: here's Copperhead. Crazy injection sequence!

The stuff in Asylum worked because it was benefitted by the setting. With improved combat abilities and wider areas, you don't get that feeling of powerlessness or helplessness anymore.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Oct 5, 2015

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

My main gameplay problem with Origins was that you couldn't counter when you were attacking. If they fixed that I would have enjoyed it much more. If WB corrects that then I'm excited about them making new games.

Hesitantly excited.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Human Crouton posted:

My main gameplay problem with Origins was that you couldn't counter when you were attacking. If they fixed that I would have enjoyed it much more. If WB corrects that then I'm excited about them making new games.

Hesitantly excited.

You absolutely can counter when you're attacking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=In9VIB3jwM4

I made this video back when it came out and I counter three dudes while attacking within the first five seconds.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I'm definitely excited for a Nightwing/Robin team up. Season of Infamy could be cool. Playing as Joker could be neat.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Today the game decided, for the first time ever in like 20 hours and 2 playthroughs, to tell me that you can hit LB to counterattack enemies with the red counter notifications. Until this very moment I'd assumed the only way to get rid of them was to dodge them.

This

changes

everything

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

a full DLC like Batgirl's

Ha Ha

The Batgirl DLC is already a disappointing DLC; if Season of Infamy has like 6 villains and is priced similarly then expect a single predator room for each at best or a single tank battle for each at worst. None of the DLC made by Rocksteady has ever, or will ever, be worth it and they're lucky that WB takes the flak for the nickel and diming (Fairly or not? Who knows.)

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

ImpAtom posted:

You absolutely can counter when you're attacking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=In9VIB3jwM4

I made this video back when it came out and I counter three dudes while attacking within the first five seconds.

That's a challenge room. Strangely, I was able to counter as usual in challenge rooms, but not during the main game.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Countering was there in Origins, but they intentionally changed the timing of it to make Batman feel "less experienced" or something, and as a result it was a lot more finicky. Origins is the only Arkham game I only played through once because of the altered combat and lovely key remappings on the PC (only supported two-button mice), I didn't want to screw up my muscle memory for the main games. But now we'll see which timing the next non-Rocksteady game goes with.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Is that what it was? I went back to Origins and was getting beaten up by every random thug. That's a loving terrible reason to mess with the game's timing :psyduck:

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Chasiubao posted:

Is that what it was? I went back to Origins and was getting beaten up by every random thug. That's a loving terrible reason to mess with the game's timing :psyduck:

The game was good in the beginning because the variety of enemies was easy. It got harder in the middle because it got more varied. It eventually relied on Electrocutioner's gloves.

Would have been a 9.5 if they didn't gently caress with the combat, and actually had the Joker stay in prison and not be the main villain again.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

That's a challenge room. Strangely, I was able to counter as usual in challenge rooms, but not during the main game.

I just tested and I was able to counter just fine in the main game too.

The game does use more aggressive enemies than City does by default but you absolutely 100% can counter when you're being attacked in both story and challenge maps.

Edit: I also found videos online of people countering while they're being attacked in the main campaign. v:shobon:v

Double Edit: Also one of the Challenges is to perform a counter in the middle of a Beatdown and while those are poorly designed I am 100% sure people have gotten that one.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Oct 5, 2015

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

ImpAtom posted:

I just tested and I was able to counter just fine in the main game too.

I think you and I had this same discussion when the game first came out because I remember someone showing me a challenge room. That prompted me to try my first challenge room, and the result is that I found challenge rooms to respond like AA an AC. I'm pretty sure that we've been through this two years ago. I believe you. For some reason, I did not get the same experience as you did in game. I did get the same experience in challenge rooms. I don't know why, and I know it doesn't make sense.

XBOX 360, by the way. And it almost crashed every time I called the Batwing.(not that that should affect the combat)

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Weird. You've always been able to counter in the middle of a beatdown but I don't remember ever being able to counter once you've committed yourself to a strike and I've played these games to death. It's one of the reasons I was hesitant to get too much into Shadows of Mordor while I was LPing the games, there countering mid-attack is in full force, if I got used to that it'd throw me off pretty badly :v:

poo poo, it's one of the reasons Catwoman was more difficult than the others in Arkham City. Some of her animations took six years to finish.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

dscruffy1 posted:

Weird. You've always been able to counter in the middle of a beatdown but I don't remember ever being able to counter once you've committed yourself to a strike and I've played these games to death. It's one of the reasons I was hesitant to get too much into Shadows of Mordor while I was LPing the games, there countering mid-attack is in full force, if I got used to that it'd throw me off pretty badly :v:

Nah, you've always been able to do it. It stands out a lot when you get double-attacked because it's pretty trivial to smack one of the guys in the face and counter the other. You can get smacked if you're not paying attention but counters can be cycled in to most attacks.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
Countering doesn't interrupt your attack animations in Origins like it does in the other games. In Asylum you can cancel any attack (except the ground takedown) into a counter and Origins feels much less lenient to me.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Spite posted:

Countering doesn't interrupt your attack animations in Origins like it does in the other games. In Asylum you can cancel any attack (except the ground takedown) into a counter and Origins feels much less lenient to me.

Yep. I wonder if ImpAtom just has different synapsis then some of us. Origins did not feel the same as the previous two games to me.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

ImpAtom posted:

Nah, you've always been able to do it. It stands out a lot when you get double-attacked because it's pretty trivial to smack one of the guys in the face and counter the other. You can get smacked if you're not paying attention but counters can be cycled in to most attacks.

Gosh, this looks familiar!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Spite posted:

Origins is less lenient because the default enemy AI is more aggressive. The challenge rooms begin on lower aggression unless you use one of the modifiers. I sort of suspect this is the reason people think the timing is different because enemies are actually more aggressive and give you less time to respond.

Yep. I wonder if ImpAtom just has different synapsis then some of us. Origins did not feel the same as the previous two games to me.

As I posted above I've literally looked through videos of other people playing the game and they are able to counter enemy attacks. So if I've got some kind of superhuman magic reflexes they translate to other people as well.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Oct 5, 2015

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

ImpAtom posted:

As I posted above I've literally looked through videos of other people playing the game and they are able to counter enemy attacks. So if I've got some kind of superhuman magic reflexes they translate to other people as well.

I guess we will figure this out in two years when WB makes their next Batman game. It's not worth looking into now because I think we exhausted this a couple of years ago.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Spite posted:

No, you just have a larger window to cancel into a counter in AA and AC not canceling it at anytime, and its the same in Origins. When you actually hit your opponent you are committed and will be tagged if you hosed up the counter. The slightly smaller window and much more aggressive enemies in Origins made it seem worse than it really was.

Origins was loving awesome outside of the upgrade progression and bugs.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Knormal posted:

Countering was there in Origins, but they intentionally changed the timing of it to make Batman feel "less experienced" or something, and as a result it was a lot more finicky.

And yet they kept in the grapnel boost, the experimental, untested technology circa Arkham City.

Not that in complaining, since I like that upgrade.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

ImpAtom posted:

I definitely agree with you, to an extent. Some of the controls when I last played (a month or so ago) didn't seem to react perfectly in the main story, to the point of Batman repeatedly and aggressively pirouetting and striking what I assumed to be the ghostly hallucination of Joe Chill as the enemy I attempted to target landed a successful poke.

That, and the change they made to the aerial assault redirect. Seriously, what was the point? The combo is increased, and the blow actually lands, before Batman uselessly brings both of his fists down. If it was some sort of bonus, wherein you could get off another strike or something if you didn't redirect away from it, I would have been able to understand to an extent. As is, it just seems like it was thrown in to punish the player for using one of Batman's more esoteric moves.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dammerung posted:

That, and the change they made to the aerial assault redirect. Seriously, what was the point? The combo is increased, and the blow actually lands, before Batman uselessly brings both of his fists down. If it was some sort of bonus, wherein you could get off another strike or something if you didn't redirect away from it, I would have been able to understand to an extent. As is, it just seems like it was thrown in to punish the player for using one of Batman's more esoteric moves.

I think I understand the change here though I don't 100% agree with it.

In Arkham City people kind of abused the generally low level of risk the move had, when the intent was for it to be more limited and for the invincibility frames you get from using it on shield guys to be the major emphasis. So they tried to tone that down to reinforce its primary role but probably went too far.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

ImpAtom posted:

I think I understand the change here though I don't 100% agree with it.

In Arkham City people kind of abused the generally low level of risk the move had, when the intent was for it to be more limited and for the invincibility frames you get from using it on shield guys to be the major emphasis. So they tried to tone that down to reinforce its primary role but probably went too far.

In general, that's how I feel about Origins. WBM went too far with trying to rebalance the game - supposedly from a story/timeline related perspective, then from... I don't really know what they were trying to do, and then wildly rebalanced everything again with the Shock Gloves and Takedown/Special Gadgets stacking ability. None of it really makes any coherent sense, and it makes the game a bit frustrating to go back to.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dammerung posted:

In general, that's how I feel about Origins. WBM went too far with trying to rebalance the game - supposedly from a story/timeline related perspective, then from... I don't really know what they were trying to do, and then wildly rebalanced everything again with the Shock Gloves and Takedown/Special Gadgets stacking ability. None of it really makes any coherent sense, and it makes the game a bit frustrating to go back to.

That's fair. I think they improved it in some places (mostly enemy variety which I think is better than even in Arkham Knight) and worsened it in places (Shock Gloves, the poo poo-rear end Concussion Grenade instead of the rockass REC Gun.) I mostly find it a sidestep but largely because I find the enemies the most fun to fight in the franchise. AK has way better core mechanics but the new enemy times are a bit blah and the combat gadgets got no real changes.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Yeah if you are pretty good at the Arkham fighting system it's a snooze fest. I had a much easier time than I remember having replaying Asylum after Knight came out, but it was still a bit challenging in spots.

AK gets way too easy if you plan ahead with the sabotage gun and fear takedowns, as well. If you zap the medics and maybe a stun gun guy at the beginning of a fight you can put 8 down unchallenged.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood
Why are these guys so poo poo at dlc?

City was one of my favorite super hero games (skipped out on asylum for some reason)

Knight it self isn't bad but just isn't very fun? Like originally I chose it over the witcher 3, after getting the witcher 3 last month and still not being done, I know I made the wrong choice.

The dlc is especially offensive because why make costume dlc that only applies to other dlc instead of just not being a cheap piece of poo poo and just charging a dollar more for the dlc to begin with?

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

I see I called, Season of infamy being villain themed tank battles. Sigh, I hate being right some times. Isn't there some Easter egg at Halloween?

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Trickjaw posted:

I see I called, Season of infamy being villain themed tank battles. Sigh, I hate being right some times. Isn't there some Easter egg at Halloween?

How are you right when we know next to nothing about it. I understand being pessimistic, but come on.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Trickjaw posted:

I see I called, Season of infamy being villain themed tank battles.
What the hell are you talking about. Are...are you on a drug? :ohdear:

redbackground fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Oct 6, 2015

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Dlc Name : Season Of Infamy
Cost (uk price) : 3.69
Cost (us price) : 6.99
Release Date : December 18-29 (TBA)
Description : Six of Batman's greatest villains have returned to Gotham and are causing havoc. Take down the tanks of Killer Croc, Mad Hatter, Black Mask, Mister Freeze, Ra's Al Ghul and Prometheus

I think they were talking about this joke post.

Paused
Oct 24, 2010
Croc in rock tank, that throws giant rocks would be pretty great though.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I'm honestly baffled that they haven't had Croc throw a rock at Batman in the series so far. Not even as a joke, just as a serious thing that happens that also happens to be a reference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
I just noticed something. Barbara Gordon is wearing a Birds of Prey t-shirt in Arkham Origins. Details!

• Locked thread