Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007
Can you be charged with embezzlement if the so called victims don't believe that they have been robbed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madcow
Mar 20, 2006

Smoothrich posted:

Any chance Chris Roberts ends up in jail for fraud and embezzlement?

It is more likely that another goon is exposed as a pedophile of some kind or another. Sorry to disappoint you, but there is a reason CR's long time friend and business partner is an attorney and co-founder of the company.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

madcow posted:

I would be interested to see how that would argument would work because the way I see it, it would be a net negative since it would just lead to more formulaic, generic CoD and WoW-lite crap. More 'safe money' game design and less risk and innovation.

Are you for real

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

madcow posted:

Promising new features doesn't get you more profit if you end up spending that money on trying to develop said features. The only way it would be more profitable is if you just ran off with all the money right after the funding ending or just delivered the final product without them, which would be patently obvious to all those involved.

It does if you keep drawing a salary every month.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Star Citizen: The best Crowdfunding platform, ever. Period.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
The thing that's kinda heartbreaking about massive failures like this is that it kinda puts into perspective why publishers treated some legendary game designers like poo poo back in the day, the harsh truth might be is that some of them ( e.g. Chris Roberts) might've been part of the problem all along.

Then again there are plenty of creators who did deliver the awesome nonetheless. I was readin an article today with Yu Suzuki THE OG of massive game budgets and he was asked how he'll approach Shenmue 3 without the money he had back then and he was like " well compromise on graphics and make sure we can deliver a solid fun game and awesome story within 6 million." Which is in stark contrast with Chris Roberts and RSI in general.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Al-Saqr posted:

Then again there are plenty of creators who did deliver the awesome nonetheless. I was readin an article today with Yu Suzuki THE OG of massive game budgets and he was asked how he'll approach Shenmue 3 without the money he had back then and he was like " well compromise on graphics and make sure we can deliver a solid fun game and awesome story within 6 million." Which is in stark contrast with Chris Roberts and RSI in general.
That's actually really good to hear. I thought Shenmue 3 was a potential disaster in the making but if Suzuki has that attitude it's likely to pull through.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Peter Molyneux - Failed. badly.

Lord British - Failing, quite badly.

Who else is on the chopping block?

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
After all of this you really have to ask, did they really raise 90 Millions dollars?

They could have easily fudged the numbers on their own tracker to draw in more suckers and have nowhere near that total.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Al-Saqr posted:

The thing that's kinda heartbreaking about massive failures like this is that it kinda puts into perspective why publishers treated some legendary game designers like poo poo back in the day, the harsh truth might be is that some of them ( e.g. Chris Roberts) might've been part of the problem all along.

It's basically the same poo poo with George Lucas, he thinks he's a genius whose vision is gonna be the best thing ever without producers holding him back. But then once he gets full control of a project he shits all over it because he's megalomaniac and can't tolerate dissenting opinions where people tell him he's work is poo poo.

Chris Roberts is kinda like Lucas. He swindled $90 mil without ever making a playable game whereas Lucas delivered 3 lovely finished products. Whether that makes him more successful than Lucas or not depends on how cynical you are.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

no_recall posted:

It's almost like these great game designers need someone with direct oversight to tell them when they're going too far and make them reign it in.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Raged posted:

After all of this you really have to ask, did they really raise 90 Millions dollars?

They could have easily fudged the numbers on their own tracker to draw in more suckers and have nowhere near that total.

I 95% believe them because of the sheer fanaticism of backers is religious in its intensity

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

madcow posted:

I would be interested to see how that would argument would work because the way I see it, it would be a net negative since it would just lead to more formulaic, generic CoD and WoW-lite crap. More 'safe money' game design and less risk and innovation.

Also this idea that Star Citizen is somehow sucking up all the money that would otherwise go to other "good" games is just "too laughable to even really address".

Promising new features doesn't get you more profit if you end up spending that money on trying to develop said features. The only way it would be more profitable is if you just ran off with all the money right after the funding ending or just delivered the final product without them, which would be patently obvious to all those involved.

Sorry I know you posted like three paragraphs but I stopped listening when you started whining about cod and wow, two games which I don't play but were both massive advances within their respective genres. Star Citizen itself is a "spiritual successor" to a series of average space games, so it's just as formulaic as either of those two games were. But even the invocation of wow and cod can't help your complete lack of explanation about how the failure of a bloated, ideas-heavy but as of yet nonexistent game would lead to more formulaic games. It simply does not follow. If anything, a fraction of the money poured into this game could have been used to fund many smaller, better games.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

i Almost... ALMOST... backed this game many, many times.

But i always had this nagging feeling that it was too good to be a real thing.

I almost, but not quite, feel bad for the suckers who poured money into it. Also, Octopode, arent you the goon who basicly donated your kids college funds to this scam? or was that a different goon?

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Rudager posted:

It's almost like these great game designers need someone with direct oversight to tell them when they're going too far and make them reign it in.

The funny thing is people seem to just forget this exact same poo poo went down in the 90s-early 2000s with John Romero's Daikatana and those other ex-ID software guy's Duke Nukem Forever.

They were all given shitloads of money with no discipline or control over how they spend it and they both produced poo poo.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

no_recall posted:

Inafune - Failing, quite badly.

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

EminusSleepus posted:

with the cult fans they have now? he might be absolved instantly whatever the heck he does, he is god to them

It sounds like they are practicing workplace discrimination, shuffling money around offshore private accounts and intentionally misleading fans with exorbitant prices on fake space goods. An IRS audit at least seems necessary. This company doesn't just seem incompetent and unethical but grossly criminal and exploitive to employees and consumers.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Rudager posted:

Descent Underground is progressing, I trust Wingman (the ex- Exec Producer for SC) to deliver. Hangar Module Crysis Ship Model Viewer Mod was 1 week delayed. While DFM was delayed by nearly half a year.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Something just occurred to me. This thing is becoming a ponzi scheme. Croberts knows if they don't give refunds when demanded people will stop donating. If people stop donating the whole thing comes crashing down in weeks. They have to give refunds or else. If too many request refunds they are doomed as well as they will be forced to stop giving them and then the poo poo will really hit the fan.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I just thought I'd ask here, because if I ask this on the brown sea I'll probably be banned for inciting fear and loathing:

Star Citizen is still drawing in an average of about a million each month. This by simply selling jpegs and ideas an artist and a facebook game designer can draw up in a day or two. Considering that, how long can they keep this poo poo up? If CIG starts to run out of cash, won't they just scale down and keep doing the same poo poo over and over, instead of going bankrupt? At least until the well dries up completely?

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Truga posted:

Inafune - Failing, quite badly.

God Inafune is the loving worst he tried to get money for another game without first delivering I his by all accounts mediocre game that he keeps delaying.

Jethro_E7
Dec 11, 2014

Al-Saqr posted:

To be honest, I attribute a lot of the game designer / publisher gripe THEN and the development issues NOW to an utter lack of teamwork. It certainly seems to show.

As much as I understand Steve Jobs was an rear end, he made stuff and had some interesting things to say on teamwork - and he called disagreements "marvelous disagreements" and admitted that he didn't win. His quote - teamwork is trusting folks to come through on their part without watching them all the time, trusting that they are going to come through with their parts. By CIG that is sadly lacking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f60dheI4ARg

CR has a big problem with people telling him he is wrong. Steve there was also asked "Are people willing to tell you that you are wrong?". Steve said yes, he has "wonderful arguments" but his response after that really exposes CR and CIG's biggest failing.

The whole Video is point in case of why CIG is a disaster.

dZPnJOm8QwUAseApNj
Apr 15, 2002

arf bark woof
Just got a reply to my request for a refund on my $35 pledge.

CIG Customer Service posted:

Hi there Mein Eyes!,

Thank you for your request. To confirm you would like a full refund and to close your account?

If you could cite any press article/s that prompted this request it would be very helpful for our records to let us know which one/s.

Look forward to hearing back.
Very Best,
CIG Customer Service

lol just lol

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Jst0rm posted:

Something just occurred to me. This thing is becoming a ponzi scheme. Croberts knows if they don't give refunds when demanded people will stop donating. If people stop donating the whole thing comes crashing down in weeks. They have to give refunds or else. If too many request refunds they are doomed as well as they will be forced to stop giving them and then the poo poo will really hit the fan.

Yes, its a scam operation. He's threatening so much legal action against whistleblowers because he's gonna end up losing his house and cars in a class action lawsuit.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Truga posted:

I just thought I'd ask here, because if I ask this on the brown sea I'll probably be banned for inciting fear and loathing:

Star Citizen is still drawing in an average of about a million each month. This by simply selling jpegs and ideas an artist and a facebook game designer can draw up in a day or two. Considering that, how long can they keep this poo poo up? If CIG starts to run out of cash, won't they just scale down and keep doing the same poo poo over and over, instead of going bankrupt? At least until the well dries up completely?

It's pretty much impossible to tell, could be another few month, could be another 2 years. It's the same poo poo as how you can't predict when a ponzi scheme goes bust or when an asset bubble pops since its inherently dependently on how faithful (read:stupid) people who are putting their money into the venture are.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
At least in a ponzi scheme the early adopters get some benefit out of it, can't say so much for those stuck with a pile of jpegs.

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Mein Eyes! posted:

lol just lol

Haha. They're gonna tally it up and sue the website for damages. loving crooks.

4 inch cut no femmes
May 31, 2011

Mein Eyes! posted:

lol just lol

You should link this thread

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Humphrey Vasel posted:

You should link this thread

Yes :getin:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

No, link roberts' turborant.

Mercury_Storm posted:

At least in a ponzi scheme the early adopters get some benefit out of it, can't say so much for those stuck with a pile of jpegs.

That's not true. They can always look at the jpegs.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Gestalt Intellect posted:

No, link roberts' turborant.

madcow
Mar 20, 2006

Angela Christine posted:

It does if you keep drawing a salary every month.

I bet you would make more money if you deliver an entertaining game with a multi-year lifespan.

Prop Wash posted:

Sorry I know you posted like three paragraphs but I stopped listening when you started whining about cod and wow, two games which I don't play but were both massive advances within their respective genres. Star Citizen itself is a "spiritual successor" to a series of average space games, so it's just as formulaic as either of those two games were. But even the invocation of wow and cod can't help your complete lack of explanation about how the failure of a bloated, ideas-heavy but as of yet nonexistent game would lead to more formulaic games. It simply does not follow. If anything, a fraction of the money poured into this game could have been used to fund many smaller, better games.

You mean 4 sentences? Sorry, I didn't mean to strain your mental capacity.

Also, I wasn't speaking to the initial release of WoW and CoD, if you didn't fail at reading comprehension, you might have caught on to that. I was speaking about the annual releases that have followed since release of CoD Modern Warfare like clockwork and all the MMORPGS that have come out since WoW debuted that are essentially a poor imitation of WoW with a different skin.

Truga posted:

If the crowd funding were to dry up, they would just go seek out private investors and additional captial from other sources. With nearly a million "Star Citizens", if the number on their website is to be believed, they have already shown a market demand.

madcow fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Oct 5, 2015

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
Star citizen GOTY of 2014-2015

Every time i open these threads there's something new and completely hilarious.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Rudager posted:

Add Ken Levine to the list. He almost tanked Bioshock. I think they started over from scratch at least once on that game. If he had full control of development without a publisher to set some deadlines, I'm sure he'd sink just as hard as Croberts. Levine even has a film gig right now, rebooting Logan's Run. Supposedly he is going back to video games after Logan's Run, so maybe in 3-5 years, Ken Levine's Bioshock 4 MMO will be the next big crowdfunding disaster.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Finster Dexter posted:

Add Ken Levine to the list. He almost tanked Bioshock. I think they started over from scratch at least once on that game. If he had full control of development without a publisher to set some deadlines, I'm sure he'd sink just as hard as Croberts. Levine even has a film gig right now, rebooting Logan's Run. Supposedly he is going back to video games after Logan's Run, so maybe in 3-5 years, Ken Levine's Bioshock 4 MMO will be the next big crowdfunding disaster.

Almost tanked? Did you play Bioshock: Infinite? :smuggo:

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

madcow posted:

If the crowd funding were to dry up, they would just go seek out private investors and additional captial from other sources. With nearly a million "Star Citizens", if the number on their website is to be believed, they have already shown a market demand.
If the funding dries up it's because the market demand has dried up. Those million Star Citizens have already paid and want their $90 million game finished. It's a terrible investment.

Edit: Like I could understand if it's a stand-alone game like Duke Nukem Forever which you can flip for a quick buck. But an MMO that you have to keep running in perpetuity is a bad deal.

Trapezium Dave fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Oct 5, 2015

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Mercury_Storm posted:

Loved it.

Love Elizabeth too.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Mercury_Storm posted:

Yeah, I was sort of leaving that out of the conversation. But hey, at least it was a finished game. Star Citizen will be vaporware forever.

4 inch cut no femmes
May 31, 2011
Why don't cig just hire a mobile developer to make a star citizen match 3 game or something. Wouldn't that just make them infinite money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Mercury_Storm posted:

The game was absolutely excellent. The only part that made me sad was that i realized what was up with the PC about 1/4th into the game. The science twins kinda gave wayyyyyy too much away.

• Locked thread