Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

The only time you'd actually get an i5 to do that is if you try to bring any Haswell up to 5ghz and it's more likely you fry the CPU than the PSU in that case

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

FaustianQ posted:

It's apparently more than that. Rumor is,
Supposedly K12 is still on but delayed until 2017 and Keller wasn't interested in waiting around that long so he split. The Zen design team is now working on Zen+. Source: RWT forums so still possibly BS but better than my WAG's and other speculation on various forums.

The more interesting news to come out of this is that AMD let slip that Zen probably won't be out until early 2017. "we remain on track for “Zen” sampling in 2016 with first full year of revenue in 2017". Optimistically maybe they'll sneak a very low volume part out in Dec. 2016 for reviews or price gouged enthusiast sales. Would love to be wrong about this but well, its AMD.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Seriously, I'd spring for :AMD:, but let's face it, there's always the chance that the company doesn't survive 2015.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Seriously, I'd spring for :AMD:, but let's face it, there's always the chance that the company doesn't survive 2015.
Well, at current fund usage they have until late 2017 to land a hit of some sort before getting unceremoniously bought out. I'm gonna peg on the LGA Opteron line not arriving until 2017, while we get a rampup of standard desktop Zen chips Q3-Q4 next year.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
Server platform Zen is supposed to come before desktop Zen though.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

Supposedly K12 is still on but delayed until 2017 and Keller wasn't interested in waiting around that long so he split. The Zen design team is now working on Zen+. Source: RWT forums so still possibly BS but better than my WAG's and other speculation on various forums.

The more interesting news to come out of this is that AMD let slip that Zen probably won't be out until early 2017. "we remain on track for “Zen” sampling in 2016 with first full year of revenue in 2017". Optimistically maybe they'll sneak a very low volume part out in Dec. 2016 for reviews or price gouged enthusiast sales. Would love to be wrong about this but well, its AMD.

Last I knew Zen was scheduled for October release, and April sampling, so this might be TSMCfucksAMD.dll, which might also mean delays in Pascal and Greenland.

I think the focus on Zen and then K12 might simply be that server and HPC are a steadier income stream that can stabilize AMD longterm, while diving into mobile could make gains, it's also cramped and could easily destroy the company. Further, a K12 with a lot of x86 influence, a Radeon iGPU and HBM is compelling, but it needs to be sold at tremendous volume, and AMD has neither the capital nor the necessary HBM to accomplish that. So stabilize the company with Zen and Greenland, try to expand with K12 and Zen+. Done right AMD might be worthy of being called a tech giant again.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

2016 you mean, it'll survive 2015 (it's actually recovering sales), just that Greenland needs to be a hit and sampling of Zen must be promising for 2017 to be a thing. Keep in mind that a successful AMD might kill Nvidia since they'll be able to fuel GPU development from their wider portfolio. Everything Nvidia has done that isn't GPU related has been a disaster, even though Tegra K1 isn't bad just :mediocre:.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I know what I typed, mister. :colbert:

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

price gouged enthusiast sales.

AMD enthusiast is a label that still exists?

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

SpelledBackwards posted:

These days they're called fanboys, but yes.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
I am enthusiastic about the idea of not a monopolopy.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

FaustianQ posted:

this might be TSMCfucksAMD.dll, which might also mean delays in Pascal and Greenland.
TSMC is supposed to be producing their APU's and GPU's but the CPU's for server and desktop are supposed to be from GF so a delay of a quarter or 2 isn't too unreasonable.

FaustianQ posted:

I think the focus on Zen and then K12 might simply be that server and HPC are a steadier income stream that can stabilize AMD longterm
Yea AMD knows how to produce a server x86 chip and knows the business better but ARM is all kinda up in the air. ARM server CPU's/platform's have lots of potential for huge volume sales but actually pulling it off is hard and most attempts so far have resulted in poor to mediocre sales. Going with what they know first makes sense.

SpelledBackwards posted:

Someone is buying all those Fury's and now Nano's at MSRP.

edit: they sold out on Amazon pretty quick at launch though apparently they're back in supply now, newegg isn't the only place that sells lots of PC parts too so I'm not sure what your point is there on pricing.\/\/\/

PC LOAD LETTER fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Sep 21, 2015

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Nano was $30 off at newegg and never sold out

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Is there any info on Zen's instruction set (like is AVX-512 going to be available)?

nehezir
Aug 9, 2011

Stalwart Guardian of the Lewd

SpelledBackwards posted:

DIY PC gaming is as a whole an enthusiast hobby.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

mmkay posted:

Is there any info on Zen's instruction set (like is AVX-512 going to be available)?
Nothing official yet on the details of Zen. That is part of the reason why this thread is so dead most of the time. There just isn't much to talk about usually.

edit: yea :/ \/\/\/\/\/

PC LOAD LETTER fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Sep 21, 2015

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

Nothing official yet on the details of Zen. That is part of the reason why this thread is talking about Intel most of the time. There just isn't much to talk about usually.

FTFY

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
My workplace just bought the office some Carrizo-based HP laptops to replace the ancient Nehalem i5 Dells. Elite Book 700's.

Our office suite has been Libre since our owner decided Office was too pricey his business. "HSA is the future today!!!" marketing is working?

Marinmo
Jan 23, 2005

Prisoner #95H522 Augustus Hill

A Bad King posted:

My workplace just bought the office some Carrizo-based HP laptops to replace the ancient Nehalem i5 Dells. Elite Book 700's.

Our office suite has been Libre since our owner decided Office was too pricey his business. "HSA is the future today!!!" marketing is working?
I quit using Libre the day it kept capitalizing "i" in other languages than English, also the spell check was horribly broken/a mess in general. Why even bother with something else than Office, honestly? After using free, as good as it is for being just that, is a lot of the time equal to sub-par in these cases.

As for your work buying AMD for anything, lol. Now, I didn't really check the power draw on their low-end parts but unless a beefy APU was a core requirement, I just can't see it being worth it?

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Apparently HSA+Libre is the tits if your hobby is visualizing gigantic spreadsheets or processing databases into pie charts.
If it was your job you would probably be using very expensive software that includes a service hotline.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

Marinmo posted:

I quit using Libre the day it kept capitalizing "i" in other languages than English, also the spell check was horribly broken/a mess in general. Why even bother with something else than Office, honestly? After using free, as good as it is for being just that, is a lot of the time equal to sub-par in these cases.

As for your work buying AMD for anything, lol. Now, I didn't really check the power draw on their low-end parts but unless a beefy APU was a core requirement, I just can't see it being worth it?

It's actually not bad. We use Google Apps for Work in the training center with our certification business, and Libre Office in the office.

I don't know of any apps we use that benefit from this "APU PRO" over an i5, yet these are really nice looking laptops with really pretty screens for "please buy them" pricing; I saw the PO and it was <$700 a unit for something with a SSD, Windows 7 downgrade rights from Win 10 pro and a good portion of RAM with a IPS 1080p touchscreen panel? What the gently caress is "12 compute cores," is AMD really marketing the number of "cores" the same way they do with their consumer APUs? That doesn't work in the business world...

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Carrizo chips have a few encryption and prosumer security features Intel refuses to put in their non-i7 non-ULV mobile lines (until the recent introduction of mobile Xeon) so there's that.

Not sure if your company is actually using those though!!!

Rosoboronexport
Jun 14, 2006

Get in the bath, baby!
Ramrod XTreme

A Bad King posted:

"HSA is the future today!!!" marketing is working?

I'd wager it's more of

quote:

our owner decided Office was too pricey his business.
and

quote:

"please buy them" pricing

The price has determined the purchases, not hardware. But it's a good thing that the hardware compliments your tools.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

Rosoboronexport posted:

I'd wager it's more of

and

The price has determined the purchases, not hardware. But it's a good thing that the hardware compliments your tools.

Up until 5 months ago I was sitting with a Prescott P4 as my gerber file editor, and got an upgrade to a Dell E7500 Core2Duo. We are cheap.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
So its speculation but its the best speculation about Zen we have so far and is actually based on some real information, but this is probably what Zen will look like from a layout perspective:

Other details point to it being a 'brainiac' design with moderate to high-ish (3-4Ghz) clocks but still can't really say exactly what the performance will be. Only that it really should be lots faster than Excavator at single threaded work loads. Also seems to be reusing parts of Excavator/BD (branch predictor) too in order to simplify design and time to market.

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

I am all for AMD getting back in the game. Competition and choices are awesome!

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

KinkyJohn posted:

I am all for AMD getting back in the game. Competition and choices are awesome!
Let's not get ahead of ourselves here

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Let's not get ahead of ourselves here

He should be mildly hopeful this isn't a complete dumpster fire of a product?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

I would maybe hold on to that enthusiasm or at least spend it on products that actually exist. At this point it's like a kickstarter or maybe Schrödinger's processor.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
More details on Zen leaked!
http://wccftech.com/amd-zen-cpu-core-microarchitecture-detailed

Doubling down on IPC and floating point performance!

Reading this, Zen looks more K10 versus Construction core...

A Bad King fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Oct 5, 2015

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Nystral posted:

He should be mildly hopeful this isn't a complete dumpster fire of a product?
That's much better.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Why does this article feel weird to read? Isn't doubling the number of floating point units and bringing in SMT just part of bringing things back to normal a.k.a. not-Bulldozer? Some of the rhetoric is hamming things up a little hard.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
WCCFtech articles are usually poorly written. The other one I linked is more concise.

'Normal' is a weird way of looking at it. Features like SMT have been around in one form or another for a while in consumer x86 CPU's so maybe you're taking them for granted?

To me the layout looks awfully reminiscent of Sandy Bridge with Excavator's FPU tacked on but there is no word of a trace cache which would be a Big Deal to have both from a performance and power efficiency. No details on the L3 cache or how CPU's will communicate with each other too. With a L2 a bit on the small side vs modern Intel CPU's its going to need a pretty good L3 that 'talks' well with the other CPU's to perform well on server work loads.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

Features like SMT have been around in one form or another for a while in consumer x86 CPU's so maybe you're taking them for granted?

This is probably the case; I am often the victim of special branding of features i.e. hyperthreading that get me curious about them, under the illusion that it's unique.

Durinia
Sep 26, 2014

The Mad Computer Scientist

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

To me the layout looks awfully reminiscent of Sandy Bridge with Excavator's FPU tacked on but there is no word of a trace cache which would be a Big Deal to have both from a performance and power efficiency. No details on the L3 cache or how CPU's will communicate with each other too. With a L2 a bit on the small side vs modern Intel CPU's its going to need a pretty good L3 that 'talks' well with the other CPU's to perform well on server work loads.

Intel hasn't used a trace cache since Nehalem - or do you mean a micro-op cache? Those usually aren't listed separately as they're just part of the ICache.

The L1 is half the size of Haswell, but the L2 is twice as large (assuming it's 512kB per core) - so mixed positive/negative. It will depend on what you're running, as always.

Anything remotely in the ballpark with decent platform support will get them at least some kind of market share.

...we can hope at least...

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

To me the layout looks awfully reminiscent of Sandy Bridge with Excavator's FPU tacked on

Zen is a reverse engineering job of an ivy bridge chip calling it now.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Boiled Water posted:

A return to their roots, cool.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Boiled Water posted:

This would be fine and awesome, if AMD is able to sell an Ivy Bridge i7 in 2016 for $150 we're cooking with gas.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

JawnV6 posted:

A return to their roots, cool.

full circle :byodood:

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Twerk from Home posted:

This would be fine and awesome, if AMD is able to sell an Ivy Bridge i7 in 2016 for $150 we're cooking with gas.

At this point you could just buy an i7 2600k on eBay, probably for less, so it'd have to be something very special or very, very cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Twerk from Home posted:

I think Zen will likely have better performance than Ivy Bridge, how much is debatable. 3-4Ghz is fine as well as long there is headroom. Still even then pricing determines everything and AMD just might have a good product a year too late, despite Lisa Su's confidence or Jim Keller the wandering technomancer's skill.

• Locked thread