Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
well I had the board on a chest and the 40" there. it was fuckin good I loevd it. imma need a new desk or thing to sit at

i love this breand of tv. its just eol stuff from other manufactueres with a super simple interface. the audio is poo poo.. who cares I have an external system that owns it

picture quality? not at this price point buddy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

echinopsis posted:

im a total human being moron who couldnt operate the menu on the tv

i had to turn the aspect ration in a part of the menu i didnt know to point to point rather than 16:9

turns out it was the tv

fuckin herll echi. get a job

glad to hear it was the tv aren't you glad we all made you check

also don't use a tv as a computer monitor

http://blogs.adobe.com/VideoRoad/2010/06/color_subsampling_or_what_is_4.html

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
yeah yeah I was wrongo you guys were the best

still thoiugh that poo poo your displaying doesnt matter to me im not making content or anything

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

echinopsis posted:

TV yeah but not old card, Radeon r9 270

ati is trash and underscans by default for no reason

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Finder for mac book osx is loving garbage. whats a alternative thats not complete rear end poo poo?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
upgrade to windows

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

obstipator posted:

Finder for mac book osx is loving garbage. whats a alternative thats not complete rear end poo poo?

path finder was good in 2006, idk about now

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

ranger

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

path finder was good in 2006, idk about now

it's still good

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

echinopsis posted:

im a total human being moron who couldnt operate the menu on the tv

i had to turn the aspect ration in a part of the menu i didnt know to point to point rather than 16:9

turns out it was the tv

fuckin herll echi. get a job

samsung handles it kinda weird too

16:9 is proportional but overscanned to keep gramma from seeing encoded closed captioning on top of her picture or w/e
screen fit is also 16:9 but no overscan

personally i like a separate overscan setting but its all good

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

how bad are hackintoshes these days

my macbook is too old and crappy to run xcode at any acceptable speed but I have a desktop with a core i5 CPU, nvidia gpu, a gigabyte motherboard and an extra 320gb hard drive

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Luigi Thirty posted:

my macbook is too old and crappy to run xcode at any acceptable speed but I have a desktop with a core i5 CPU, nvidia gpu, a gigabyte motherboard and an extra 320gb hard drive

should be fine, there'll probably be a guide for your specific motherboard at hackintosh.com or Tonymacx86.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Dodoman posted:

should be fine, there'll probably be a guide for your specific motherboard at hackintosh.com or Tonymacx86.

neat, found one for my board that says it works perfectly with El Capitan. thanks. soon I shall have a ghetto Mac.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

I have a system that has only one pci-e slot. I'd like to be able to use this for something other than a graphics card, but still be able to access the bios and such so rdp won't work; there are no other graphics options available. Is there an easy way to do this if the system doesn't support KVM over IP / IPMI directly?

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

obstipator posted:

Finder is for grandma
learn to use the terminal

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

ahmeni posted:

Finder is for grandma
learn to use the terminal

use both in harmony namaste

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

it took a couple hours of loving with it but i now have OS X installed and running perfectly on my desktop computer :toot:

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Luigi Thirty posted:

it took a couple hours of loving with it but i now have OS X installed and running perfectly on my desktop computer :toot:

i got a sick thrill doing this back when snow leopard came out, the process to get it working is fun.

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Luigi Thirty posted:

Just purchase an entirely new Apple Computer

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

maniacdevnull posted:

Just purchase an entirely new Apple Computer

i refuse when i have a perfectly good Non-Apple Computer that did not cost $4000

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Dodoman posted:

i got a sick thrill doing this back when snow leopard came out, the process to get it working is fun.

"fun"

luigi - and now what?? nothing runs??

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

echinopsis posted:

"fun"

Everything runs, that's the whole point of a hackintosh. It's fun because I get to run this holier than thou OS on non-standard hardware.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

echinopsis posted:

no now i can run xcode with the FULL POWER OF THIS BATTLE STATION instead of a sandy vagina laptop with 4gb of ram

it's even better than desktop linux because i have audio

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Luigi Thirty posted:

no now i can run xcode with the FULL POWER OF THIS BATTLE STATION instead of a sandy vagina laptop with 4gb of ram

:rip: alderaan.app

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

Dodoman posted:

Everything runs, that's the whole point of a hackintosh. It's fun because I get to run this holier than thou OS on non-standard hardware.

the gently caress You Gary You're Not My Real Dad of computing

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Luigi Thirty posted:

....fethhhhhhhhhhaaaaannn

oh yeah so you could develop for the ipad ???? cool

Dodoman posted:

the joke was that its osx so there is little worth running...

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Luigi Thirty posted:

i refuse when i have a perfectly good Non-Apple Computer that did not cost $4000

How does that activity generate profit for the Apple Corporation?

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I replaced my CPU fan. Now my computer is too quiet, making me unable to sleep, as I had grown accustomed to the soothing brownian noise cover. What can I do?

med school head
Apr 17, 2012

Silver Alicorn posted:

I replaced my CPU fan. Now my computer is too quiet, making me unable to sleep, as I had grown accustomed to the soothing brownian noise cover. What can I do?

shut the door and chain smoke to your death

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
nanual fan controller and wick it up to 75% or so

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
idlin' at 30 degrees

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Silver Alicorn posted:

idlin' at 30 degrees

get it to ambient :getin:

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer

maniacdevnull posted:

How does that activity generate profit for the Apple Corporation?

$100 a year dev license

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Silver Alicorn posted:

fan death

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Silver Alicorn posted:

replace one of your case fans with a 4000rpm delta fan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TaKcESbTx2w

the soothing sounds of an airport runway

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
serious answer, find one of those standalone white noise generators

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Heresiarch posted:

or this, if you don't want a separate device: https://simplynoise.com/

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Heresiarch posted:

yeah there are thousands of phone apps which fill this niche

you can also buy radios which generate white noise.

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

read your post history!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

a handful of times now over the past few months my computer's been doing weird bullshit where it won't wake up. hit the power button, fans spin up, but jack poo poo happens. sometimes i can hard power it down, start it again and it comes back. sometimes this doesn't work. i found clearing the CMOS makes things work normally again (at least for some time)

any ideas? gonna be pissed if the motherboard is dying cuz it's an LGA1155 board from 2012 and no one makes that poo poo anymore, meaning i'll have to basically throw away my cpu and RAM to get new poo poo i really have no need for

yeah i know long-term solution is throw my idiot gaming desktop in the trash and get a mac but let's focus on near-term for now