Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Aurain posted:

The problem with the OP is that it's generic shonen as hell. Rock music and the hero beating the crap out of things.

I'll be honest, after seeing that third part to the episode I am looking forward to certain parts of this series like no tomorrow. Have the people who done that, done anything else just as awesome?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
I couldn't handle Saitama's goofy smile. It was perfect and hilarious and all that is good in this world.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Having him be all ripped and serious looking dilutes the impact of Serious Series too, for my money. It gives it so much gravity.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Aurain posted:

The problem with the OP is that it's generic shonen as hell. Rock music and the hero beating the crap out of things.

One Punch Man is really at its best though when it's Saitama being simple face goofy, and it's like that for the most part. It undersells OPM to me.

i will not hear one more bad thing about an opening wherin saitama punches a happy little star man in the face

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
Yeah the goofy moments ended by a single punch are how early opm should be. That extended dream sequence may have been rad, but it just felt wrong and didn't really fit with what this show should be. I'd rather it was there for opm newbies to show them how rad this show will get, but for ME it kinda felt bad.

e: Also, the whole "Saitama is frustrated because all his fights end too quickly" thing only seemed to exist in the early chapters, later ones just have him as some chill guy finishing people's fights for them and rocking around being invulnerable. I thought maybe the show would lose that plot point since it's pretty much thrown away before long in the manga.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

sharktamer posted:

Yeah the goofy moments ended by a single punch are how early opm should be. That extended dream sequence may have been rad, but it just felt wrong and didn't really fit with what this show should be. I'd rather it was there for opm newbies to show them how rad this show will get, but for ME it kinda felt bad.

e: Also, the whole "Saitama is frustrated because all his fights end too quickly" thing only seemed to exist in the early chapters, later ones just have him as some chill guy finishing people's fights for them and rocking around being invulnerable. I thought maybe the show would lose that plot point since it's pretty much thrown away before long in the manga.

I wouldn't say it's thrown away. It's just that interacting with people and making friends makes his life better. He still seeks thrills but he has more than just that now.

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

Condiv posted:

i will not hear one more bad thing about an opening wherin saitama punches a happy little star man in the face

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

the OP being a super over the top jojo style OP is the perfect joke

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Condiv posted:

screw you Starro

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

sharktamer posted:

That's pretty much scene for scene what chapter 4 was though? :confused:

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Terper posted:

I wouldn't say it's thrown away. It's just that interacting with people and making friends makes his life better. He still seeks thrills but he has more than just that now.

Yeah Saitama goes from being completely alone to being surrounded constantly by a posse. He's still a god among mortals but at least he's forced to interact with people day to day.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I'm glad they kept the shot of the cactus when he says "I have become too strong" but I'm very sad the little girl in the beginning is not labeled SCHOOL CHILD.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Terper posted:

It's also played for a joke at the beginning anyway. When he is talking about how he has become too strong he is like "I have become emotionally numb, i feel no fear, no joy, no excitement, no anger". Then he fails to squish the mosquito and is all "God drat gently caress poo poo!" with a vein popping out of his head in fury.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

sharktamer posted:

What on earth are you mumbling about? The Boros fight is about exactly that, Saitama thinking he's stumbled upon a worthy opponent and hoping to face some challenge, and ultimately being embarrased and disappointed when that is not the case. That is the major plot point that wraps the arc. The Garou arc so far follows a similiar theme.

Bisse fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Oct 5, 2015

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

No ONE spoilers in this thread. :mad:

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
We've already seen the Boros fight, and it starts off with Saitama launching himself headfirst into the ship in the hopes that he'll get a challenge, and end with him looking disappointed as Boros declares him "too strong." And we've seen the start of the Garou arc where he gets excited after hearing how powerful Garou is, and there's the filler comics where he enters a martial arts tournament under Charanko's name hoping to find a challenge.

Honestly, you could make the argument that Saitama's got some form of clinical depression, and the series is about him managing it by engaging with friends.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

As long as the remaining episodes dont get ruined by QUALITY this is gonna be a pretty good anime

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Madhouse is a studio that generally knows what it's doing, and from this first episode, it's clear that they know what the fans expect. I'm not expecting it to be exactly this quality for the entire series, but I am expecting that they'll ration things out so the stuff that really matters IS this quality. Plus, it's from the director of Space Dandy, which was pretty much beautiful throughout.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Condiv posted:

It had a knife!

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

How much material does Madhouse have to work with anyway? I don't read ONE's webcomic and just wait for the Murata adaptation to come out so I'm not sure how far ahead of that release the original is.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
One has finished the Garou arc and we are currently at the start of a new one, maybe a third in. There was pretty long period of inactivity on that front though, which is probably why Murata added the tournament.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I'm just gonna call it and say that the anime will finish its season with Boros and then wait a few years to come back and do what comes after.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I'm just gonna call it and say that the anime will finish its season with Boros and then wait a few years to come back and do what comes after.

Why? The Garou arc is done and is by far the best arc in the entire comic so far, I'm gonna be hugely disappointed if it does not get animated.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Is the anime using the Murata designs for the characters/monsters?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Why? The Garou arc is done and is by far the best arc in the entire comic so far, I'm gonna be hugely disappointed if it does not get animated.

It feels like Boros is a good place to go if you want to make it 26 or so episodes, it showcases a whole bunch of the world and hammers Saitama's conflict.

I'm not saying Garou won't be animated, it sure as hell will be, but anime of this quality can't possibly run for a full year+, you need a lot of time for a good product which seems to be what they want to do, so i'm just guessing Boros for a pausing point and then come back full force in a year or three with Garou and stuff that's ahead of it.

Just basically we won't get all the way up to where ONE is in one go, and for a pausing point Boros seems good because by then every relevant character gets to be showcased and the end of that arc is pretty climactic. Long-reach prediction: final shot of this anime will be Garou seeing that the heroes stopped the invasion on his tv and shutting it off, muttering how it's time for monsters to get a win or something.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
A site briefly listed it as 12 episodes and that's Serious Punch at the end of the OP so probably stopping at Boros

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
The aftermath of Serious Punch would be a pretty fantastic image to end the series on.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

RatHat posted:

Is the anime using the Murata designs for the characters/monsters?

Yeah, the ones in the first episode look exactly like the designs from Volume 1 of the Murata line.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Holy poo poo, an anime is the last place I was expecting a reference to El Chapulin.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
I have to agree with some of the detractors, but I think it's just because it was the first episode. It felt somewhat generic. I feel like if I had showed this show to someone, they wouldn't understand why it was great. Also the fact that I knew when the punches or the plain-faces were coming probably really ruined them for me, but that's inevitable. Though, overall, I think this'll be great as it keeps going.

Also, I forgot how many people get killed so quickly at the beginning...

:( It was a struggle just to find a version to watch overseas, but even then it didn't have the ED or OP.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

a kitten posted:

screw you Starro

Came here to post this, glad somebody picked up the slack.

As for the opening, I got the impression that it's meant to be ironic/tongue in cheek. Intentionally misleading and whatnot.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

licenseless rider and genos' hair looks very similar, and his bike is not super visible in the op, so at first i thought they had included some manservice of genos shaking his rear end for the camera

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Zenzirouj posted:

As for the opening, I got the impression that it's meant to be ironic/tongue in cheek. Intentionally misleading and whatnot.

Yeah that was just to hook people who are new to the series, next week it'll be a 90 second montage of shopping, video games and household chores set to the same soundtrack.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Holy poo poo, an anime is the last place I was expecting a reference to El Chapulin.

spranic will pead because that's just an edit. The CH symbol is just a smile face in a yellow circle and there aren't any antenna. Colors were pretty close to El Chapulin Colorado, but it's a vague reference at best and just a color coincidence at worst.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

spranic will pead because that's just an edit. The CH symbol is just a smile face in a yellow circle and there aren't any antenna. Colors were pretty close to El Chapulin Colorado, but it's a vague reference at best and just a color coincidence at worst.

It was too good to be true :smith:

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I love the OP to the show but some of those monsters he punches into bits just look like they want a buddy to hang out with. Anime Saitama's kind of an rear end in a top hat.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Isn't it a reference to the thing AnonSpore posted about last page?:

AnonSpore posted:

So here's a factoid about our opening villain, Vaccineman. As noted in the OP, he's an homage to Baikin(germ)man, the antagonist of the children's book/anime series Soreike! Anpanman!. Saitama himself looks a lot like the titular Anpanman:

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Zenzirouj posted:

Came here to post this, glad somebody picked up the slack.

I don't really know how you can't get that impression, with the insane over the top music, and the badass drawings before ending on an epic "walking away shot" .... with Saitama holding a bag of groceries.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Guy A. Person posted:

Isn't it a reference to the thing AnonSpore posted about last page?:

Yup, that makes way more sense and is much more fitting.

And thus once more El Chapulin Colorado will never be referenced outside of Latin America.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
I think there's a contractual obligation in Japan that all ED themes have to have the same tone regardless of show theme or context and also to just be poo poo.