Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Malpais Legate posted:

That only works if you don't think about it. Style and culture didn't change at all in 120 years? That's just a hard pill to swallow.

Fascist governments tend to be incredibly socially controlling it turns out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Yeah, and there we have an answer that survives the "it makes sense if you don't think about it" test. But the whole "it's just the idea of the future!!!" is a dumb cop-out.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Malpais Legate posted:

That only works if you don't think about it. Style and culture didn't change at all in 120 years? That's just a hard pill to swallow.

Yes, it is quite difficult to understand why that is the prevailing theme.

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

Malpais Legate posted:

We're all just wandering around in the hipster paradise of 2277 when 1950s retro chic was becoming the new ironic band tshirt of fashion.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Remember back in the 1980s where people idolized the 1950s and redid parts of their culture til they got bored of old style malt shops or drive in theaters? Imagine that but it never loving stopped because "Why don't you like living the right American dream? You're not a filthy COMMIE, ARE YOU?". All the good and bad dreams of the 1950s came true and the world suffered for it.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Malpais Legate posted:

Yeah, and there we have an answer that survives the "it makes sense if you don't think about it" test. But the whole "it's just the idea of the future!!!" is a dumb cop-out.

It survives if you think about it too, I mean yeah, it's far fetched, but it fits with the given progression of events and is fascist as hell.

You will wear the uniform and smile or you will be killed.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Mordaedil posted:

I thought the idea of Fallout was the future as the 1950's imagined it, not literally 1950's America still being around when 2270 was happening.

It actually goes beyond just the culture and style. In the early 1950s there was widespread fear that the Cold War might transform the United States into a "garrison state," a country that appeared superficially successful but had destroyed the very qualities and virtues it originally set out to save. It was thought that the state of continual crisis and possibility of total war would minimize the power and influence of political institutions while elevating military leadership, who would be willing to use extreme tactics to secure resources and strengthen itself.

Coincidentally, there were a few scholars like Lasswell who predicted that, once the military took over, U.S. strategy would shift from deterrence to preparing to survive, fight, and win and extended full-scale nuclear war. Such a strategy would focus on saving valuable civilians so that they could rebuild their industries and repopulate the military.

While it probably isn't intentional, the world of Fallout is Eisenhower's worst nightmare crawling out of his head to make policy.

Malpais Legate posted:

yeah, lets get rid of the one stylistic choice that makes fallout fallout.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Oct 5, 2015

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

QuoProQuid posted:

yeah, lets get rid of the one stylistic choice that makes fallout fallout.

Yeah, while we're at it let's boil every other part down to the roots and play Fallout 4 roguelike.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

A Fallout roguelike would be really cool actually.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Pwnstar posted:

A Fallout roguelike would be really cool actually.

Isn't that basically the mobile game?

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mordaedil posted:

I thought the idea of Fallout was the future as the 1950's imagined it, not literally 1950's America still being around when 2270 was happening.

There are two explanations offered in the story for the retro aesthetic: one, is that the cultural revolution never happens - no hippies, no vietnam backlash, no rights movements of the 60s; the second is that the integrated circuit is never invented, but technology develops in parallel anyway using like vacuum tubes and poo poo.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Crabtree posted:

Isn't that basically the mobile game?

No, the mobile game is ProgressQuest. Completely different.

sector_corrector posted:

There are two explanations offered in the story for the retro aesthetic: one, is that the cultural revolution never happens - no hippies, no vietnam backlash, no rights movements of the 60s; the second is that the integrated circuit is never invented, but technology develops in parallel anyway using like vacuum tubes and poo poo.
That is how you misconstrue a statement, but sure.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Malpais Legate posted:

They don't do that because that's the premise of the game.

The game is "what if futurism happened, and everything went to poo poo"

If you want to argue that's not realistic then presumably you could start with "why do they have plasma guns" and go from there.

Lukavi
Aug 23, 2006
Place your bets now
Has there been any work on if combat will be updated/refreshed? I always liked to play in first person and the gun-play always seemed a little off if you weren't using VATS (never did)

Like, if you start hammering away on the mouse to fire the pistol sometimes it would delay between shots or seem sluggish in general and it always seemed to bother me a little bit. As if the response time wasn't all together

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Lukavi posted:

Has there been any work on if combat will be updated/refreshed? I always liked to play in first person and the gun-play always seemed a little off if you weren't using VATS (never did)

Like, if you start hammering away on the mouse to fire the pistol sometimes it would delay between shots or seem sluggish in general and it always seemed to bother me a little bit. As if the response time wasn't all together

Apparently that's a major focus, they got iD software people in to look at the FPS part.

Whether it works or not is going to have to wait until release.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mordaedil posted:

That is how you misconstrue a statement, but sure.

You seemed confused, and I know from your posting that you're an idiot, so I was helping you out.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

I was just looking for rationale behind over a century of stagnation. Sure, I got multiple quality explanations, but could've gone without the "because that's how the game is????" responses.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The actual answer is that the world of Fallout is a weird pastiche of Mad Max, mid-century Americana, and conspiracy bullshit, and it was never meant to be cohesive or realistic because those first two games were cartoony as gently caress.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Hakkesshu posted:

The actual answer is that the world of Fallout is a weird pastiche of Mad Max, mid-century Americana, and conspiracy bullshit, and it was never meant to be cohesive or realistic because those first two games were cartoony as gently caress.

Pretty much this. Overall I'm not much bothered by the 1950's style being weird in context, the thing I actually take a bigger issue with, especially in the wake of Mad Max: Fury Road, is how little variation and imagination there is in the culture. I loved the bizarre icons and style of the War Boys, along with their adaptation of still working technology into new and sometimes silly shapes, how they maintained some important knowledge of the past while having a hosed up religion around cars, Valhalla and a shouty rear end in a top hat in a gas mask. Fallout thus far hasn't really hit that properly, you basically just have a number line with two poles and a center: one pole is tribals who literally just live like ancient pre-agriculture peoples who maybe use guns sometimes, regular people forming regular communities just trying to get by, and then the future people with all their tech and science who live in bunkers and poo poo.

Not saying it ruins the game or anything, but I do definitely hope the inclusion of poo poo like a Laser Musket is a sign that things are going to be a bit weirder and more of a mish-mash in 4.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Malpais Legate posted:

I was just looking for rationale behind over a century of stagnation. Sure, I got multiple quality explanations, but could've gone without the "because that's how the game is????" responses.

Because it is how the game is. It is that way for stylistic reasons and trying to justify stylistic reasons almost always leads to stupidity because not everything needs to be over-explained. That is what gets you the Star Wars EU.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

LornMarkus posted:

Pretty much this. Overall I'm not much bothered by the 1950's style being weird in context, the thing I actually take a bigger issue with, especially in the wake of Mad Max: Fury Road, is how little variation and imagination there is in the culture. I loved the bizarre icons and style of the War Boys, along with their adaptation of still working technology into new and sometimes silly shapes, how they maintained some important knowledge of the past while having a hosed up religion around cars, Valhalla and a shouty rear end in a top hat in a gas mask. Fallout thus far hasn't really hit that properly, you basically just have a number line with two poles and a center: one pole is tribals who literally just live like ancient pre-agriculture peoples who maybe use guns sometimes, regular people forming regular communities just trying to get by, and then the future people with all their tech and science who live in bunkers and poo poo.

Not saying it ruins the game or anything, but I do definitely hope the inclusion of poo poo like a Laser Musket is a sign that things are going to be a bit weirder and more of a mish-mash in 4.

Do the ghouls and super mutants fit in there or are you racist against radioactive Americans?

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Personally I find the minute men/laser muskets dumb. Maybe bethesda has a neat twist explaining it, but it strikes me as emblematic of the sort of "theme park" design they populate their games with, of throwing a bunch of wacky ideas into their games, regardless of how well they stick. Like what they did with Vaults (which sometimes worked and sometimes didn't, imo).

Before the inevitable "but the originals did it too" defense: maybe it's less offensive and feels more like a throwaway joke when that stuff is relegated to text, leaving more to your imagination. And also, the wacky stuff in Fallout 2 is a major criticism of that game.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Is that a deathclaw on the cake, or is it this guy?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Malpais Legate posted:

That is how the game is, though. It's designed to have that particular art style and cultural air, because that's the point of the game.

You might as well ask why bioshock is set in an underwater city, because that's the point.

de_dust
Jan 21, 2009

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Malpais Legate posted:

this has been the prevailing aesthetic of all fallout games, what the hell are you even going on about.

the style is a huge part of the game.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

FutonForensic posted:

Is that a deathclaw on the cake, or is it this guy?

I like your theory better.

Also lol at complaining about laser musket, what was "wacky" in Fallout 2 that some people didn't like? I didn't play 1 and 2

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

frajaq posted:

Also lol at complaining about laser musket, what was "wacky" in Fallout 2 that some people didn't like? I didn't play 1 and 2

2 had a ton of pop culture references and in-jokes. You could get into a boxing match with NotMikeTyson who bit off your ear (which showed up in your inventory.)

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord

Rinkles posted:

Personally I find the minute men/laser muskets dumb. Maybe bethesda has a neat twist explaining it

From the screenshots and videos it looks like a modified AER9 laser rifle. So it's probably not a straight up wacky joke idea, probably one of those someone made it and they were like "oh hey this is powerful but takes awhile to reload. kinda like those musket things these boston museum keeps referencing."

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

frajaq posted:

It had a bunch of weird referential stuff that was the late 90s equivalent of stuffing memes into your game. There's a Monty Python random event, UFOs/Area 51, a boxer shouts "Adrian!" while you fight him, stuff like that, among some of the crazy items they added. FO3 and NV went even crazier of course, but at the time it stood in stark contrast to the original, tonally.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Hakkesshu posted:

It had a bunch of weird referential stuff that was the late 90s equivalent of stuffing memes into your game. There's a Monty Python random event, UFOs/Area 51, a boxer shouts "Adrian!" while you fight him, stuff like that, among some of the crazy items they added. FO3 and NV went even crazier of course, but at the time it stood in stark contrast to the original, tonally.

It just got too overt and frequent in 2.

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

frajaq posted:

Probably the Cafe of Broken Dreams, Monty Python bridge, crashed Star Trek shuttle, etc. All random encounters while traveling from place to place on the overworld map.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
Todd Howard is going to make the alternate story from the Wasteland booklet real. Finally going to realize the dreams that the old Bethesda programmers couldn't.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I hope this game continues the trend of the Fallout world having increasingly absurd numbers of orbital weapons satellites.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
There needs to be a satellite that drops pennies from orbit onto people causing instant death and them getting split in half.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
Loaded up TTW today and was dicking around in the Capital wasteland when a UFO blew up over me. Grabbed the firelance as it fell out of the sky like a bad rear end :c00lbert:

Then a deathclaw killed me like a bitch

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Apparently Avellone asked if the deathclaw on the cake could talk and got really upset when nobody would seriously answer his question. Then Howard encouraged him to open up the "Fat Man" and he was so excited to see Avellone's reaction that his fingernails broke the skin on Pagliarulo's broad shoulders.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
Yesterday I discovered how to activate the F3 dlc on steam. Bought the game years ago, thought it was locked behind GFW poo poo when I went to the download menu in the main menu and it just always failed to connect to the GFW store. Shrugged it off because I got F3 for a few bucks and whatever. Never clicked on Data Files until yesterday.

:ughh:

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy

sector_corrector posted:

The morality and culture of the 50s clinging on for an extra 200 years is never posited as anything other than a nightmare, and is even comically worse than it is in reality, currently.

One hundred. The bombs drop in the 2070s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

lol what kind of a homo name is Chris hahahaa

• Locked thread