Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Doc Block posted:

Did they release Xcode 7 to the public yet?

The betas get installed alongside Xcode 6.4, not on top of it.

Yes, on WWDC day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Lumpy posted:

Yes, on WWDC day.

Has the GM been released on the Mac App Store yet? :colbert:

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
No, but a version newer than the GM has been.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008
What the hell are y'all talking about? It's been out for days:

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...
Just stopping by to say GameplayKit is incredible and if you want to run my new game on iOS 8 you can go to hell.

Being able to say:
code:
component.entity?.ComponentForClass(Tappable)?.tapped()
is a loving dream.

All my previous attempts to write games ground to a halt when I tried to shoehorn my entities into a single-inheritance hierarchy. I had read about Entity-Component, planned on implementing it in my next attempt, and oh look! All the busywork is already done and I can just work on actually breaking my concepts into components.

I haven't even dug into state machines but those look pretty amazing too.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Doc Block posted:

Did they release Xcode 7 to the public yet?

Yeah, we shipped concurrently with iOS 9 on the 16th, so just over a week ago.

quote:

The betas get installed alongside Xcode 6.4, not on top of it.

Betas and GM candidate seed builds ship only from the developer download site. Final builds ship both from that and from the Mac App Store.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Plorkyeran posted:

No, but a version newer than the GM has been.

The Mac App Store doesn't have a newer version, it's still Xcode 7.0. But it is a build newer than the GM candidate seed (sometimes abbreviated "GM seed") build; it's the actual GM build.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

What the hell are y'all talking about? It's been out for days:

eschaton posted:

Yeah, we shipped concurrently with iOS 9 on the 16th, so just over a week ago.

What the hell? I completely, utterly forgot that Xcode 7 was out. Thinking back, I even remember being annoyed that it took 4-5 hours to download.

I've been using Xcode 7.1 and just plum forgot that 7 was officially released on the Mac App Store. v:shobon:v

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
iTunes Connect updated with a new layout and maybe some new features?

http://help.apple.com/itc/my-apps-quick-tour/#/overview

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Doh004 posted:

iTunes Connect updated with a new layout and maybe some new features?

http://help.apple.com/itc/my-apps-quick-tour/#/overview

Meanwhile while getting this redesign deployed they apparently shut down most or all of whatever services processed binaries after uploading. From about Monday night forward, I and everyone I knew had uploads stuck in processing. Finally, they made it through yesterday morning.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Our development and staging environments don't have valid SSL certs. We did this prior to iOS 9 to ignore invalid certs for those environments:

code:
public func URLSession(session: NSURLSession, didReceiveChallenge challenge: NSURLAuthenticationChallenge, completionHandler: (NSURLSessionAuthChallengeDisposition, NSURLCredential?) -> Void) {
        if challenge.protectionSpace.authenticationMethod == NSURLAuthenticationMethodServerTrust
        {
            if let trust = challenge.protectionSpace.serverTrust
                where challenge.protectionSpace.host.rangeOfString("staging") != nil
                && challenge.protectionSpace.host.rangeOfString("dev") != nil
            {
                let credential: NSURLCredential = NSURLCredential(trust: trust)
                completionHandler(NSURLSessionAuthChallengeDisposition.UseCredential, credential)
            }
            else
            {
                completionHandler(NSURLSessionAuthChallengeDisposition.PerformDefaultHandling, nil)
            }
        }
    }
This no longer works. I thought it was due to ATS so all of the corresponding exception domain properties that I could to allow it but no luck. Here's the message:

quote:

Reason: Error Domain=NSURLErrorDomain Code=-1202 "The certificate for this server is invalid. You might be connecting to a server that is pretending to be “mystagingenvironment.com” which could put your confidential information at risk."

Anyone know how to allow them now?

Kallikrates
Jul 7, 2002
Pro Lurker
Looks like previous to the challenge API there was some private API (also not exposed to swift) you might be able to use while in development/staging

"[NSURLRequest +setAllowsAnyHTTPSCertificate:forHost:]"

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
I saw that and I'd really rather not have to use it. There must be another way around this?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Deploy a root cert to your devices rather than disabling cert checking for every domain with "dev" or "staging" somewhere in the name?

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Subjunctive posted:

Deploy a root cert to your devices rather than disabling cert checking for every domain with "dev" or "staging" somewhere in the name?

I've never done that before.

https://blog.httpwatch.com/2013/12/12/five-tips-for-using-self-signed-ssl-certificates-with-ios/

Is that kinda what you're talking about (specifically #5)?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yep.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Does this work for the simulator too? I can't seem to find Profiles in the settings.

Kallikrates
Jul 7, 2002
Pro Lurker

Doh004 posted:

Does this work for the simulator too? I can't seem to find Profiles in the settings.

I believe this is how Charles proxy works. (You have to redeploy every time you reset simulator).

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
Good lord, the Apple Developer forums are terrible. I asked a question earlier, and even I can't find it now.

So I'll ask it here, and hope it doesn't break NDA: how am I supposed to take screenshots and video of my app in tvOS? Is it even possible, short of just pointing a camera at the TV it's connected to?

edit: OK, there's a Screenshot button on the Devices window in Xcode. But how about video? Like for promoting my app etc.?

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Sep 29, 2015

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
You should be able to just record the HDMI output from it.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
OK, so I have to get an HDMI recorder...

Wish it could be done with QuickTime Player like you can with iOS devices.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Just get in front of the camera and tell us why we should buy your app :shrug:

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Did everyone update to the latest Xcode release?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

pokeyman posted:

Did everyone update to the latest Xcode release?

Ok I'm not crazy (in this particular case) for thinking I saw that.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Anyone else working with the UI Tests in Xcode 7? I'm finding it to be working pretty well. The recording feature is nice but not 100% accurate and I've had to write a fair amount of extensions to make my life easier, but I'm liking it so far. We'll see how it compares to KIF.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Doh004 posted:

Anyone else working with the UI Tests in Xcode 7? I'm finding it to be working pretty well. The recording feature is nice but not 100% accurate and I've had to write a fair amount of extensions to make my life easier, but I'm liking it so far. We'll see how it compares to KIF.

Any suggestions for documentation? I'm having a tough time finding much of anything. And care to share your extensions in a gist or something?

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

pokeyman posted:

Any suggestions for documentation? I'm having a tough time finding much of anything. And care to share your extensions in a gist or something?

Nope, the documentation basically doesn't exist (or I haven't found it yet). Mostly just the header files for now.

And sure, here's what I have so far!:

https://gist.github.com/platedbay/4e23b5e8be4f5bf0bc8f

I'm only just starting and keep adding stuff as I need it, but maybe we can come up with a public repo moving forward (if there's interest).

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Somehow forgot about header files, good call. And thanks!

Cawd Rud
Mar 12, 2009
Salad Prong
I'm going to be developing an iOS app that will be published under another company's name who already has apps on the App Store - what is the normal process for this? Would they add me as a new team member under iTunes connect, which would allow me to push new app versions? How do development certificates work in that case? I've released an app on my own account before, but never had to deal with someone else's.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Cawd Rud posted:

I'm going to be developing an iOS app that will be published under another company's name who already has apps on the App Store - what is the normal process for this? Would they add me as a new team member under iTunes connect, which would allow me to push new app versions? How do development certificates work in that case? I've released an app on my own account before, but never had to deal with someone else's.

Adding you to their team certificate will enable you to develop. That doesn't necessarily mean you can publish to the app store yourself. It really depends on how they have things set up.Last place I worked at had a team profile set up for development, but you had to go through one of two people to actually publish to the app store.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

The team profile in the developer portal and the iTunes Connect account are two different things.

If nothing else they can add you to the team portal so you can develop, you can archive the build, and then they can use Application Loader to push it to iTunes using their own iTC credentials if they are troubled with the idea of a third party being able to push builds to iTunes.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

UIStackView :swoon:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Trying to renew my dev account.

...oh, okay then. As long as it's unknown.

Really hoping to get my hands on an aTV dev kit but at this point I'm guessing they're probably gating it to people who have had legitimate projects in the app store etc, and a fresh face isn't likely to get one.

edit: Oh they're only releasing more dev units to people who were in the first lottery I guess, oh well.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Oct 5, 2015

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
So I was contacted by someone to make a couple "simple" changes to an app... that was written in 2011 and targets iOS 3.2 (pre-ARC!) and uses if (UI_USER_INTERFACE_IDIOM() == UIUserInterfaceIdiomPad) to load different NIB files for every view controller for iPads.

Has anyone done something like this? Will I even be able to build / submit the app using XCode 7, or are they basically going to have to have the whole thing re-done?

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

You'll need to explicitly turn off ARC and ignore a million deprecation warnings, but otherwise it shouldn't be too hard to get it building.

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...

Martytoof posted:

Trying to renew my dev account.

...oh, okay then. As long as it's unknown.

Really hoping to get my hands on an aTV dev kit but at this point I'm guessing they're probably gating it to people who have had legitimate projects in the app store etc, and a fresh face isn't likely to get one.

edit: Oh they're only releasing more dev units to people who were in the first lottery I guess, oh well.

They definitely were gating it on App Store submissions as well, though I don't know if the second wave included people who didn't have them. (I have an app in the store, but it wasn't cool enough for wave 1. Got it on wave 2 though!)

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Plorkyeran posted:

You'll need to explicitly turn off ARC and ignore a million deprecation warnings, but otherwise it shouldn't be too hard to get it building.

Depending on the size of the codebase, this could hit Xcode-crashing levels :ohdear:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Dessert Rose posted:

They definitely were gating it on App Store submissions as well, though I don't know if the second wave included people who didn't have them. (I have an app in the store, but it wasn't cool enough for wave 1. Got it on wave 2 though!)

Well I emailed them and asked about getting added to wave 2 but I'm not expecting much (including a response) so I guess I'll have to pay the full price. Still, I'm excited to get into Swift on tvOS. Much mores than I ever was developing for iOS for some reason.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

ultramiraculous posted:

Depending on the size of the codebase, this could hit Xcode-crashing levels :ohdear:

It was up there...

After creating a repo for it, I ran Edit -> Convert for ARC and "modern Objective-C" and lo and behold, I went from literally thousands of errors and warnings down to 21 deprecation warnings. That is some serious wizardy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Plorkyeran posted:

You shouldn't need to turn off ARC, ARC is just on by default in new projects, it won't be flipped on for old projects.

Similarly, you shouldn't need to either convert to ARC or convert to modern Objective-C just to start making a few changes. Were this a project I were taking on, I'd try to keep the codebase as close to the original as possible as I'm coming up to speed on it.