Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Tujague posted:

Meanwhile, the main character is a promising young officer (Mary Sue) who, due to stuff that will be explored in Season 1, hosed up real bad and was assigned to be the First Officer on what is basically a refitted garbage scow with a special short-range EXPLORATION CRAFT piggybacked onto the back of it.

Marissa Amber Flores Picard would never gently caress up, let alone gently caress up real bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andro Dunos
Dec 11, 2003

Huge Lady Pleaser posted:

Great episode but i was always perplexed as to how they had the technology to make a probe that could do that to someone's mind but not save their civilization

The episode "Conundrum" has the same problem. The Satarran aliens can wipe the memories of everyone on the Enterprise, alter the computer records, and insert their own crew posing as humans, but they can't defeat the Lysians?

I MEAN REALLY

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Andro Dunos posted:

The episode "Conundrum" has the same problem. The Satarran aliens can wipe the memories of everyone on the Enterprise, alter the computer records, and insert their own crew posing as humans, but they can't defeat the Lysians?

I MEAN REALLY

They couldn't spend another week to find some no-name Miranda with a dumb crew?

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

My Q-Face posted:

:biotruths: *crowd breaks from grooming to hoot excitedly*

Watch some documentaries on Chimpanzees, read Chimpanzee Politics and then quake with impotent rage when you read that Newt Gingrich's whole political strategy, starting in the 1970s, was based on lessons he picked up from reading that book, and it loving worked like a charm.

Leader (possibly) of the poo poo-flinging forces

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Tujague posted:

Jesus christ, every three pages with you morons farting out profound philosophical biotruths you realized after being made euphoric by your own intellect

Maybe you should write clumsy, hilariously unexamined social commentary scripts for a hokey 1960's sci-fi show or something

You got to have your rambling Jem Hadar tantrum, let other people have their turn.

The weird rants about "No, THIS part didn't make sense and furthermore..." are the best part of the thread.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
theres only one bridge. ONE BRIDGE. ONE PLACE TO poo poo

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Bashir is great. I just met Section 31 on DS9 and...well...let's just say that for all the genetic engineering poo poo they keep shoehorning in, I'm loving the extra stuff they give Bashir to do. Making him a spy seems great, although I'm kind of confused--there's only one season left, but they keep introducing new elements and stuff even now. Did they think the show would keep going on or will there actually be a decent ending to this whole saga?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Bashir is great. I just met Section 31 on DS9 and...well...let's just say that for all the genetic engineering poo poo they keep shoehorning in, I'm loving the extra stuff they give Bashir to do. Making him a spy seems great, although I'm kind of confused--there's only one season left, but they keep introducing new elements and stuff even now. Did they think the show would keep going on or will there actually be a decent ending to this whole saga?

They knew season 7 would be the end.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I remember hearing there were at least a few people who wanted to press for an eighth season, but I can't remember who was for it and who was against it.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

In any case, they knew well enough in advance that the show ends with a ten-parter.

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
My beef with the Jem Hadar was about poo poo that literally happened on the screen during a TV show and 100% didn't require me to thoughtfully stroke cheeto dust out of my neckbeard while having an Archimedes-esque epiphany about human nature and reality that is hidden from the un-fedora'd neurotypicals

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Here in Taiwan there's a brand of bottled water that has random foreign languages on the label. I've seen Arabic and Italian before. Today I found Klingon.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Tujague posted:

My beef with the Jem Hadar was about poo poo that literally happened on the screen during a TV show and 100% didn't require me to thoughtfully stroke cheeto dust out of my neckbeard while having an Archimedes-esque epiphany about human nature and reality that is hidden from the un-fedora'd neurotypicals

You are a sad, strange little man...and you have my pity.

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien

:goonsay:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

clinically speaking what the gently caress is your problem?

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Germstore posted:

He's got a brain tumour, go easy on him.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Germstore posted:

Assimilation into the Brony hivemind. Resistance is magic.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

Tujague posted:

It's Dorito Dust, and my problem was that on the show set in the pre-Federation/Starfleet era, humans behaved exactly the same way they did in the 24th century and ignored all of the "We had to learn those lessons the hard way" stuff that was all over the previous shows. Where was the disastrous first contact that led to war with the Klingons? Where was the humans making GBS threads all over the galaxy and disrupting primitive cultures?

"Maybe one day there will be a sort of a ... Primary Directive..."

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

My Q-Face posted:

It's Dorito Dust, and my problem was that on the show set in the pre-Federation/Starfleet era, humans behaved exactly the same way they did in the 24th century and ignored all of the "We had to learn those lessons the hard way" stuff that was all over the previous shows. Where was the disastrous first contact that led to war with the Klingons? Where was the humans making GBS threads all over the galaxy and disrupting primitive cultures?

"Maybe one day there will be a sort of a ... Primary Directive..."

god, he might as well have winked at the camera.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Germstore posted:

god, he might as well have winked at the camera.

and then licked a fingertip and marked down a 'point' in the air with it.

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

No fair! You changed the outcome by measuring it!
Geez, was the origin of Red Alert not enough for you people?

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
I'm halfway through Season 7 of DS9. Wow, Ronald D. Moore tried his best to ruin the show with his lovely romance and new age bullshit, didn't he? It's great that Damar and Kai Win can carry the show, but they shouldn't have to.

I've been wanting to watch the show with my Grandfather who was something of a TNG fan, but we'll never have enough time to watch every episode of every season. Is there something like an Abridged Deep Space 9 list of episodes that include the important plot points and character arcs + only the good bottle episodes?

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Typical Pubbie posted:

I've been wanting to watch the show with my Grandfather who was something of a TNG fan, but we'll never have enough time to watch every episode of every season. Is there something like an Abridged Deep Space 9 list of episodes that includes all the important plot points and character arcs?

This is like asking to read just one cycle out of a Cardassian repetitive epic.

Its a pretty offensive question. You watch all of DS9. All of it.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

My Q-Face posted:

This is hilarious. This show isn't doing very well and everybody on the internet is very critical of it, but that's just the internet, let's see what Ira says. Ira says all the same things as the internet, well obviously the problem is with everybody else but us!

*plinkett voice* what is it with Ricks?

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
My pah is too weak for such a task.

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
That's bullshit, if anyone can come up with a list of mandatory ds9 it's us and not just because we have nothing better to do.

For one thing, you have to make up your own mind about Ferengi episodes. I think they are good except the one where Quark has to become female which is s06 e23 "Profit and Lace" which is irredeemable. S06 e10 is The Magnificent Ferengi which is mandatory no matter what especially for goongranddad so write those two down.

You can skip most of Season 1 on grounds of terrible acting and/or TNG-style Monster Of The Week crap, but catch these:

The pilot
S01 E03 and E04 - good introductory character development
S01 E06 - "Captive Pursuit" O'Brien's first chance to shine
S01 E11 - "The Nagus" Ferengi episode is a maybe
S01 E14 - "Storyteller" Beginning of O'Brien / Bashir bromance
S01 E15 - "Progress" Pretty good Kira / Bajoran poo poo
S01 E19 - "Duet" super awesome drama episode
S01 E20 - Nurse Ratched's first tour de force / Bajoran religious poo poo throwdown

You have to watch p much all of Season 7, with the exception of these:
s7 e04: Sisko and the crew play baseball against some Vulcans
s7 e05: Bashir falls in love with an autistic girl
s7 e11: Ezri Dax backstory is godawful

Tujague fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Oct 6, 2015

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

Tujague posted:

i will find you and kill you

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Look if you pass every DS9 episode that has some cool funny poo poo in it, you won't skip any okay

Klingon Chef blows it up in Melora. Is Klingon Chef good? Yes. Is Melora good? Ffffuuuuuuuccccccckkkkk.

vvv I don't think there's a lovely Vic ep. The one where he helps Odo date Kira is awesome too. The one where Worf tears up the place is awesome.

Tujague fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Oct 6, 2015

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
People hate the Vic eps but the PTSD that Nog experiences needs to be seen.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

VectorSigma posted:

i will find you and kill you

seriously the sisko without BASEball is not the sisko at all

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

But why rush through DS9? its never coming back in any form. Even the bad eps flesh out the good bits and its fun to make fun of the bad DS9. Why miss out on that? The lows make the highs higher.

Watch all of DS9 and don't pretend you have better things to do with your life than watch a Jake-centric or Keiko-centric ep.

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
If I remember from six posts ago, the reason he wants a condensed list is because he doesn't have a ton of time to watch TV with his grandfather, who is presumably not a big sci-fi nerd

Hang on, I'll go use my eyes to read what it says

Yep

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
makes ya think

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Grandfather needs to get his priorities straight is what I'm saying.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

There's probably stuff in the first couple seasons you can skip, but from the season 2 finale onwards you're better off just watching it all with very few exceptions, yeah.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

Tujague posted:

Nay. When the show first came on, I was watching TNG religiously and although I missed the pilot, I gave a few early episodes a try and wrote it off as a lame attempt to cash in on Babylon 5. It was a rerun of this one that made me want to give it another try..

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

shadow puppet of a posted:

Its a pretty offensive question. You watch all of DS9. All of it.

get over yourself already, jesus christ

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
you're in a star trek thread on a nerdy forum and you're telling someone in here to calm himself about star trek

do you see where you may have went wrong?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
To be upset about Star Trek is illogical.

• Locked thread