Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
It worked for Rick Perry

huehuehuehuehue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

Patter Song posted:

That's the tricky thing: if Trump crashed and burned, his support would mostly go to Carson and Cruz. Post-Trump might be just as nightmarish for Establishment types.

yeah but trump is the kind of sadness that makes me laugh while cruz is the kind of sadness that makes me really really sad

i don't think anything when i think of carson

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx

Mister Macys posted:

Is this really the drawback we think it is these days? Genuinely curious.

It would be with some of the Republican base. In the general, it wouldn't be the focus. The thing is that he isn't high-functioning. If he was running rings around Obama and had managed his caucus, fine. Man can guzzle as much wine as he wants. We're talking about a guy who retired in disgust/disgrace though.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

ErIog posted:

GOP is falling for cult of personality real hard in the way they always accused Dems of doing for Obama. The difference is that Obama was actually a good candidate whereas Trump is the classiest tire fire.

The candidate the GOP, and perhaps even the US, deserves.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

William Bear posted:

I think this article was mentioned earlier, but I didn't notice this part:

http://www.cnn.com/2015/10/02/politics/jeb-bush-2016-presidential-campaign/index.html

:lol: that didn't work with Perry, you morons

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Powercrazy posted:

The candidate the GOP, and perhaps even the US, deserves.

If Trump ends up as our next President, it'll confirm my suspicions that we're the dimmest country on Earth, and we deserve all the bad things in life.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Necc0 posted:

:lol: that didn't work with Perry, you morons

Perry just chose the wrong frames. If you want them GOP votes you got to get TR spectacles.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

William Bear posted:

I think this article was mentioned earlier, but I didn't notice this part:

http://www.cnn.com/2015/10/02/politics/jeb-bush-2016-presidential-campaign/index.html

¡Glasses! They connote excitement!

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Montasque posted:

Trump and Bernie are the only anti-Imperial candidates running.

Varam posted:

You forgot Lincoln Chafee

but then again so has everyone else.

Are we talking anti-empire here, or anti inches and pounds? :3:

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Mr. Pumroy posted:

Neither does Carson.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Dolash posted:

I don't know if that's Christie's main problem, he doesn't seem to have an issue with going hard rhetorically. The only way that seems to hurt him is his pitch at least used to be that he's a Republican governor in a blue state and knows how to work the system and get stuff done. In the current climate that sounds too much like compromise, especially next to Donald "We'll do so much winning you'll get tired of it!" Trump and especially after the infamous Obama hug. His problem with the establishment and "moderates" concerned about his electability thanks to bridgegate is just as serious.

Don't forget that Mitt Romney's executive experience was also "compromising with Democrats in a very blue state".

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

navyjack posted:

¡Glasses! They connote excitement!

Exsightment :suicide:

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/10/05/carly-fiorina-s-mystery-foundation.html

This makes my head hurt but the tl;dr is Fiorina has claimed to run a charitable foundation as part of her presidential qualifications yet the foundation doesn't exist, that's just what she calls her donor-advised fund that may or may not have given money to "dozens" of charities, charities that she will not name.

God she is such a poo poo candidate.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Reaganball Z posted:

If Trump really does have a ceiling at ~30% then taking the nom away from him shouldn't be too difficult for the RNC even if he is the delegate leader.

this should be trump's theme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiMPZais8nE

Excuse me but who are these nobodies that no one cares about?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwpX17kRJMI

There is only one "Real American" theme song worthy of The Donald.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Whenever someone writes it "¡Jeb!" I just automatically read it like "heb".

e: More like "habe" I guess, in an English transcription.

Squizzle fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Oct 5, 2015

BuckT.Trend
Apr 22, 2003

My god, it's full of stars!
Who is the last President that wore glasses full time? Because Jeb! is hosed on that basis alone, new frames or not. We DEMAND our Presidents to have 20/20 vision, or at least appear to have perfect vision. :crossarms:

point of return
Aug 13, 2011

by exmarx

Three Olives posted:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/10/05/carly-fiorina-s-mystery-foundation.html

This makes my head hurt but the tl;dr is Fiorina has claimed to run a charitable foundation as part of her presidential qualifications yet the foundation doesn't exist, that's just what she calls her donor-advised fund that may or may not have given money to "dozens" of charities, charities that she will not name.

God she is such a poo poo candidate.

And she might end up being the candidate that the Kochs and the establishment settle for!

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Mr. Pumroy posted:

yeah but trump is the kind of sadness that makes me laugh while cruz is the kind of sadness that makes me really really sad

That reminded me of this, poor Dr. Ben...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlOSdRMSG_k&t=39s

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Squizzle posted:

"yeb" Je -> Ye

Like in Yellow.

AllanGordon
Jan 26, 2010

by Shine
Jeb would be doing better in the polls if he campaigned entirely in Spanish.

Rivensteel
Mar 30, 2010

Powercrazy posted:

"yeb" Je -> Ye

Like in Yellow.

Or 'yefe'. Or 'yalapeno'.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

BuckT.Trend posted:

Who is the last President that wore glasses full time? Because Jeb! is hosed on that basis alone, new frames or not. We DEMAND our Presidents to have 20/20 vision, or at least appear to have perfect vision. :crossarms:

Truman was the last one who wore them full time, but several after needed them at least for reading stuff.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Squizzle posted:

Gawker or Wonkette or somewhere similar calls him Heb Boosh.

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
I will be happier, regardless of who is the eventual R nominee, if I stop hearing about Carly Fiorina- seriously, this person has anti-credentials. Every thing this person has done in her "career" is a yooge, red flag. The worst was hearing about how she "won" the debate- all she did was spout literally the most insane rhetoric and sabre-rattling. The United States is not militarily in a position for a showdown with Russia in the vein of "with us or against us"- the prestige and power of the US is so diminished from a decade ago as to make that untenable. Truthfully, the US can no longer negotiate from a position of strength- the next century will belong to China even faster if she plays that card. But her primary supporters aren't interested in reality- they love the fantasy of the US still being able to bully and bludgeon its way across the world stage, which is now just that- fantasy. "Oh wow, this person talks my brand of bullshit without a hint of conviction- woman president material right there!"

TLDR: Carly Fiorina makes me long for the days of Sarah Palin. 30,000 jobs- think it'll end there? What a oval office.

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013

Squizzle posted:

That would definitely be pronounced "heb" phonetically. I don't know how you came up with "habe".

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
On a Fiorina note, I don't know if this has come up yet: http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/10/05/carly-fiorina-s-mystery-foundation.html

quote:

Carly Fiorina is so opposed to Planned Parenthood, which she believes is “pushing women into late-term abortions so they can more successfully harvest body parts,” that she would shut the government down in order to prevent it from receiving any federal funding. But she doesn’t oppose Planned Parenthood enough, it seems, to care if the organization that controls the Fiorina Foundation, her mysterious charity outfit, also distributes funds to the group—nearly half a million dollars since 2011.

The gist is that Fiorina's been listing "Chair of the Fiorina Foundation" as an accomplishment for a while, when the Fiorina Foundation is the name of the account she has with a financial organization that seems to exist mostly to lower your effective tax rate. Also, it's given money to PP.

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014

Chantilly Say posted:

On a Fiorina note, I don't know if this has come up yet: http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/10/05/carly-fiorina-s-mystery-foundation.html

The gist is that Fiorina's been listing "Chair of the Fiorina Foundation" as an accomplishment for a while, when the Fiorina Foundation is the name of the account she has with a financial organization that seems to exist mostly to lower your effective tax rate. Also, it's given money to PP.

Carly Fiorina, secret abortion lover. Will this be enough? Hopefully Rube comes out swinging.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Noctis Horrendae posted:

That would definitely be pronounced "heb" phonetically. I don't know how you came up with "habe".

American English (at least,my variety of it) uses /ɛ/ (head, said, bed) for the orthographic "e", whereas Spanish (or the variety I'm most familiar with) uses /e/ for it. In my English, /e/ sounds pretty close to a long "a" (raise, date).

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009

BuckT.Trend posted:

Based on his stance on the Iraq war, and W's tenure in office, I don't think he even has 20/20 hindsight.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Bucswabe posted:

Based on his stance on the Iraq war, and W's tenure in office, I don't think he even has 20/20 hindsight.

I'd say that's probably true of just about every Republican, though.

TRICKLE DOWN WORKSwhaddya mean the debt has quadrupled?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Nintendo Kid posted:

Truman was the last one who wore them full time, but several after needed them at least for reading stuff.

Bush the elder did wear his glasses a lot. I can't really remember him not wearing glasses except after he was done being President.

Other than reading, I think it's TR, Wilson, FDR, Truman, and Bush the Elder without eyesight the American People can believe in.

Abner Cadaver II
Apr 21, 2009

TONIGHT!

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Must have been a rough night for Vicent and the crew. Turtle sure is looking old.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

crazy eyes mustafa posted:

I will be happier, regardless of who is the eventual R nominee, if I stop hearing about Carly Fiorina- seriously, this person has anti-credentials. Every thing this person has done in her "career" is a yooge, red flag. The worst was hearing about how she "won" the debate- all she did was spout literally the most insane rhetoric and sabre-rattling. The United States is not militarily in a position for a showdown with Russia in the vein of "with us or against us"- the prestige and power of the US is so diminished from a decade ago as to make that untenable. Truthfully, the US can no longer negotiate from a position of strength- the next century will belong to China even faster if she plays that card. But her primary supporters aren't interested in reality- they love the fantasy of the US still being able to bully and bludgeon its way across the world stage, which is now just that- fantasy. "Oh wow, this person talks my brand of bullshit without a hint of conviction- woman president material right there!"

TLDR: Carly Fiorina makes me long for the days of Sarah Palin. 30,000 jobs- think it'll end there? What a oval office.

That's exactly the way I feel about Trump.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

this is what every road trip dad who encounters a gas station sunglass tower looks like

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Huh, I must have missed that scene from Narcos.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

crazy eyes mustafa posted:

Carly Fiorina, secret abortion lover. Will this be enough? Hopefully Rube comes out swinging.

These attacks on Planned Parenthood by go well with their base in small districts but as recent polling shows going down that path headed into a general would be a HUGE mistake. The fact is Planned Parenthood is extremely popular and the baby parts stuff did little to nothing to their reputation.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Add this to the Carly is a poo poo person

quote:

The piece tells, among other things, the story of Joe Shumate, a California pollster whom she called “an integral” member of her Senate campaign and “trusted advisor and friend,” who was found dead of a heart attack amidst pages of polling data a month before 2010 Election Day. After his death, she offered her “sincerest condolences” to his wife.

But here's where it gets bad

quote:

But records show that there was something that Fiorina did not offer his widow: Shumate’s last paycheck, for at least $30,000. It was one of more than 30 invoices, totaling about $500,000, that the multimillionaire didn’t settle — even as Fiorina reimbursed herself nearly $1.3 million she lent the campaign. She finally cleared most of the balance in January, a few months before announcing her run for president.

“Occasionally, I’d call and tell her she should pay them,” said Martin Wilson, Fiorina’s former campaign manager, who found Shumate after the pollster collapsed from a heart attack. “She just wouldn’t.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/rweb/...a395_story.html

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Imagine that in TYOOL 2015 a story has arisen that shows a FYGM establishment republican living the FYGM life.

Sounds to me like she's a :airquote: principled conservative. Think how hard it must have been for her to resist the temptation to be a decent human being.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger
The only good thing about a Fiorina nomination would be watching really misogynist leftists come up with new synonyms for oval office, whore, and bitch for their editorial positions.

• Locked thread