Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Bhodi posted:

You can see an example of the collar-cam: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yW0Q1HSpztM

That was the next logical step, so of course a helmet was constructed out of tape.

Remy finally had enough and anger pooped in the hallway. Then, thinking maybe it wouldn't be seen, picked up the poo and put it in the middle of the floor so you'd have to step over it.

CSI: K-9

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Kaizoku posted:

Uh, I for one would like to see this video
There's no video, he wouldn't move with it on :(

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Bhodi posted:

You can see an example of the collar-cam: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yW0Q1HSpztM

That was the next logical step, so of course a helmet was constructed out of tape.

Remy finally had enough and anger pooped in the hallway. Then, thinking maybe it wouldn't be seen, picked up the poo and put it in the middle of the floor so you'd have to step over it.

Holy poo poo, I was joking but :lol:

colas
Feb 14, 2007

Aww, he can't see. Remy is a great dog name btw.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVOL3tMDzEs

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

"Maybe some dolphins have sex for pleasure."
I would like to buy a rice cooker. I know everyone always says Zojirushi or bust, but I'm a poor grad student and don't want to spend that much money if I don't think it's worth it.

What is the benefit of buying this:
http://www.amazon.com/Zojirushi-NS-LAC05XA-Uncooked-Cooker-Warmer/dp/B000G30ESY/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8
instead of this:
http://www.amazon.com/Aroma-Cooked-Digital-Steamer-Stainless/dp/B007WQ9YNO/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

More expensive cookers do brown rice better.

White rice is more or less the same.

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
Need a recommendation for a desktop mouse. I was using a Logitech G9x which is legendary but the only ones available are going for $350 on Amazon.

- Need something with a little bit of weight to it (The G9x had removable metal inserts)
- I need the same type of endless scroll wheel where you can switch between the mouse wheel clicking or rolling smooth.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

visuvius posted:

Need a recommendation for a desktop mouse. I was using a Logitech G9x which is legendary but the only ones available are going for $350 on Amazon.

- Need something with a little bit of weight to it (The G9x had removable metal inserts)
- I need the same type of endless scroll wheel where you can switch between the mouse wheel clicking or rolling smooth.

Logitech RMA'd my old G500 with a G502. Once you get past "looks like a spaceship model from a bad sci-fi movie" I've been pretty happy with it. Has the MX wheel and weights.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
The M500 has the spinwheel and is 30 bucks.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Big question:

I'm looking to buy this TV
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00T63YUJO/ref=mp_s_a_1_11?qid=1442869761&sr=8-11&pi=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70&keywords=vizio

For the first time in my life I'm going to buy a sound system and a Blu-ray player that is decent.
I'm lost as to what is good and what is not. There are some that look good to me, a casual user, but the freaky audiophiles make the dumbest complaints.
My living room is not huge and I'd like to go for a 7.1 setup but 5.1 is probably fine.
Budget is around $300 but fairly flexible.

Inzombiac has a new favorite as of 23:15 on Sep 21, 2015

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

visuvius posted:

The G502 has now become my go to mouse coming from the G9x. Granted, it isn't quite as wide as the G9x.

http://smile.amazon.com/Logitech-Pr...=logitech+mouse

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Inzombiac posted:

Big question:

I'm looking to buy this TV
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00T63YUJO/ref=mp_s_a_1_11?qid=1442869761&sr=8-11&pi=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70&keywords=vizio

For the first time in my life I'm going to buy a sound system and a Blu-ray player that is decent.
I'm lost as to what is good and what is not. There are some that look good to me, a casual user, but the freaky audiophiles make the dumbest complaints.
My living room is not huge and I'd like to go for a 7.1 setup but 5.1 is probably fine.
Budget is around $300 but fairly flexible.

I bought a Sony system to replace my pre-HD Pioneer 5.1. Other than a balky optical disc reader it's worked quite well, and I especially like the embedded Netflix in comparison to the one built into my LG TV or my Tivo.

http://amzn.com/B00C27S0M4

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Dick Trauma posted:

I bought a Sony system to replace my pre-HD Pioneer 5.1. Other than a balky optical disc reader it's worked quite well, and I especially like the embedded Netflix in comparison to the one built into my LG TV or my Tivo.

http://amzn.com/B00C27S0M4

I appreciate the recommendation but $5-700 for a sound system is well beyond what I can spend.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Inzombiac posted:

I appreciate the recommendation but $5-700 for a sound system is well beyond what I can spend.

Just pick up whatever cheap 5.1 set is at walmart. I seriously did the same thing 5+ years ago and it will be fine while costing 150-200 then just spend the remaining money on whatever budget bluray player rounds out the 300.

experienceBeej
Mar 24, 2014

Inzombiac posted:

The Wirecutter really likes this Monoprice set.
http://www.monoprice.com/mobile/product/details/10565

They also recommend the speaker set I own (the Pioneer set) so I figure their recommendations for budget gear are also reliable.

Would you also consider 5.1 soundbar sets?

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004
Re: computer mice, I'll add that the Logitech M510 has a terrible scroll wheel that barely registers when you're scrolling at all. I've literally spun the wheel over and over to no effect, then when it finally "catches" the window will scroll maybe a few lines.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Totally TWISTED posted:

Just pick up whatever cheap 5.1 set is at walmart. I seriously did the same thing 5+ years ago and it will be fine while costing 150-200 then just spend the remaining money on whatever budget bluray player rounds out the 300.

I just may. My hearing isn't good enough to notice the difference between a mid to high grade set.

experienceBeej posted:

If I knew what that was, maybe!

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Inzombiac posted:

I just may. My hearing isn't good enough to notice the difference between a mid to high grade set.

If I knew what that was, maybe!

Soundbar sets have a soundbar in place of separate front right and center speakers

experienceBeej posted:

The Wirecutter really likes this Monoprice set.
http://www.monoprice.com/mobile/product/details/10565

They also recommend the speaker set I own (the Pioneer set) so I figure their recommendations for budget gear are also reliable.

That monoprice set isn't bad at all. I'd go with that before random stuff from wal-mart because, well, random stuff from wal-mart.

Edit: I'm sure wal-mart has had good sets, and they may currently, but just walking in and buying one is going to be a fair bit of a gamble.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Inzombiac posted:

Sorry, I didn't see that it was no longer in production. They might have something current that replaced it. It was $450 when I bought it last summer which I figured would be in your range.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Kaizoku posted:

Soundbar sets have a soundbar in place of separate front right and center speakers

That monoprice set isn't bad at all. I'd go with that before random stuff from wal-mart because, well, random stuff from wal-mart.

Edit: I'm sure wal-mart has had good sets, and they may currently, but just walking in and buying one is going to be a fair bit of a gamble.

Gotcha. I'm ordering everything from Amazon.
A soundbar would actually be best for my setup anyway, so thanks.

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor

Geoj posted:

Logitech RMA'd my old G500 with a G502. Once you get past "looks like a spaceship model from a bad sci-fi movie" I've been pretty happy with it. Has the MX wheel and weights.

Etrips posted:

The G502 has now become my go to mouse coming from the G9x. Granted, it isn't quite as wide as the G9x.

http://smile.amazon.com/Logitech-Pr...=logitech+mouse

Thanks, I will buy this mouse.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Could somebody recommend a good bicycle for commuting about 6 miles every day? I've not had a bike since I was a kid so I'm not really sure what brands are good these days nor how much I really ought to be spending. It's a concrete bicycle lane all the way there and back and my budget would be £300.

Edit: I've been looking at hybrid sports bikes, I don't want a full-on road bike.

Frankston has a new favorite as of 18:19 on Sep 27, 2015

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

How hilly is the commute?

Also shout out to whoever recommended these coasters, they rock

Thirsty Stone natural solid sandstone coasters https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001CKSZ2M/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_EadcwbDR8QGRN

Most just spill moisture off the side anyway so it's just decorative. These are tits

Nostalgia4Dogges has a new favorite as of 19:07 on Sep 27, 2015

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Frankston posted:

Could somebody recommend a good bicycle for commuting about 6 miles every day? I've not had a bike since I was a kid so I'm not really sure what brands are good these days nor how much I really ought to be spending. It's a concrete bicycle lane all the way there and back and my budget would be £300.

Edit: I've been looking at hybrid sports bikes, I don't want a full-on road bike.

The reasons you're avoiding a road bike would be helpful, considering all you stated you want to do is perfectly suited for a road bike.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Yeah but a hybrid is better at taking a bit of commuting abuse

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Yeah but a hybrid is better at taking a bit of commuting abuse

Heck, I don't even mind if Frankston's reason is "I don't wanna be one of those guys on a road bike," but if it's to handle commuting abuse there's going to be a different recommendation than maybe considering trail riding or maybe considering 50 milers.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Also shout out to whoever recommended these coasters, they rock

Thirsty Stone natural solid sandstone coasters https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001CKSZ2M/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_EadcwbDR8QGRN

Most just spill moisture off the side anyway so it's just decorative. These are tits

I'll pass that on to my mom since she's the one that originally bought mine for me. :)

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

:tipshat:

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

Frankston posted:

You might also consider a cyclocross bike, which will have a road frame that will take nice fat tires, or a touring bike, which is a road frame with relaxed geometry. A hard-tail (no suspension) mountain bike would also work well.

Or, basically any used bike, six miles is not so long that you're going to tire yourself out riding something heavy. Will you need a rack and panniers to carry things?

Hybrid bicycles are marketed for this kind of commuting, and they may come already put together with everything you need, but you shouldn't shy away from some of the more specialized and sporty frames, you might find that you like them.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Frankston posted:

You'll have better luck in the bike commuting thread.

FYI I started with a hybrid bike and sold it after the first time I tried my friend's cheap road bike, because the drop bars were way more comfortable. Just stay away from hybrids with front suspensions. I ended up with a steel frame cyclocross bike, and now a titanium one.

e: My guess is they'll help you find a used bike for way better than you can find new.

various cheeses has a new favorite as of 23:10 on Sep 27, 2015

colas
Feb 14, 2007

Cyclists also steer people away from hybrids in general. I forget why, but if you bring it up with them they'll say hybrids are generally considered to be lovely. If you're only commuting 6 miles you could save a bunch of money and get a cheap single speed road bike to start. You can get one in the US for only £130.

I'm looking for a good napkin holder and butter dish. Maybe you guys know of some amazing options for these everyday items.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Gilgameshback posted:

You might also consider a cyclocross bike

I'm at work and in pain trying to stifle laughter from looking a bit too long at your avatar. :laugh:

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

colas posted:

Cyclists also steer people away from hybrids in general. I forget why, but if you bring it up with them they'll say hybrids are generally considered to be lovely. If you're only commuting 6 miles you could save a bunch of money and get a cheap single speed road bike to start. You can get one in the US for only £130.

Hybrids are lovely at everything they do but they're cheap. If you only plan on biking 6 miles and nothing more I'd just get a hybrid.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I bought a HEAVY AS gently caress hybrid for fairly cheap because I thought the extra weight would be good for exercizing (my knees are too shot to run). Ended up hating it and it sits in my basement until I can bother to sell it. Hybrid tires can be nice in certain conditions but just pick up a cheap road bike.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Depending on what you get exactly, hybrids are actually great for short (<10 miles) trips around the city. For example, I want an upright riding position, plenty of gearing options, stable and moderately broad tires, disc brakes, fenders, chain guard, and a rack. On the other hand, you really don't need or want knobby tires, shocks, handlebar drops, or crazy high/low gearings.

colas
Feb 14, 2007

Can someone recommend a good pillow?

The Blue Pyramid
Mar 1, 2009

:poland: :poland: :poland:
Kiepski to nie
kaktus;
Pić musi!

:poland: :poland: :poland:

colas posted:

The one I've got my head on as I'm writing this. Sensorpedic cooling gel pillow, I think possibly this one, or something like it. I got it on sale for like $40 at Macy's and its gotta be the best drat pillow I've ever used. Its got some kind of cooling wizardry so I never wake up with a sweaty head anymore, plus its comfortable memory foam that's good for my neck (which I've always had problems with). They had both the contoured one and the fuller gusset ones when I bought mine. It seems to be expensive as hell on amazon, but hopefully this can help point you in the right direction.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

colas posted:

I bought a pair of IsoCool latex pillows. They come in side and back sleeper shapes that are pretty dustinct. I got a side even though I sleep in both positions and it's great. I have a long neck and it's great support and stays cool.

Tourette Meltdown
Sep 11, 2001

Most people with Tourette Syndrome are able to hold jobs and lead full lives. But not you.

The Blue Pyramid posted:

The one I've got my head on as I'm writing this. Sensorpedic cooling gel pillow, I think possibly this one, or something like it. I got it on sale for like $40 at Macy's and its gotta be the best drat pillow I've ever used. Its got some kind of cooling wizardry so I never wake up with a sweaty head anymore, plus its comfortable memory foam that's good for my neck (which I've always had problems with). They had both the contoured one and the fuller gusset ones when I bought mine. It seems to be expensive as hell on amazon, but hopefully this can help point you in the right direction.

Seconding this but I got mine from Sam's on sale for ~$40 and now they have similar house brand ones for $20. I prefer the full gusset over the contour. Memory foam mattress + memory foam pillow = pure heaven.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

colas
Feb 14, 2007

I'm not really into the memory foam ones, anybody like a non-foam pillow? Also, I need decent/cheap BT speaker. Just something at least a couple notches louder than my phone.

colas has a new favorite as of 16:33 on Oct 6, 2015