Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

univbee posted:

To go into a little more specifics, $250ish granted you access to a ship that was more or less the Millennium Falcon in terms of seating capacity and the like, and going into the thousands got you a ship that was more Star Destroyer/USS Enterprise tier. So it had a very real sense of how much you paid to get into this game determined where in the game universe's pecking order you would be. I do think some people were also looking to play with their buddies or whatever and preferred to do so in a larger ship where each player had a specific role (e.g. one was the pilot, another was the gunner etc.)

It was pretty beautifully laid out to touch the right "take all of my money" nerves in people who always wanted to be Han Solo/Kirk/Picard or whatever, and given this game's promises it was probably the kind of thing some people convinced themselves it'd be the last game they'd ever have to buy because they could just plug in their VR headset and be space captain whatever and work the exact minimum number of hours to pay for their PC's electricity.

There will never be a "Last game you need ever" but Artemis is actually a really fun party game. The prospect of that but with real graphics was pretty appealing.

Nation posted:

there will never be multi-crew massive battles like eve, the physical constraints on technology just wont allow it

Of course not, there's no way in hell you have EVE's battle scale without also going with EVE's point and click gameplay. That scale isn't really needed though to have the same impact, it's more about the sandboxy nullspace structure and the anything goes attitude in regards to suicide ganks, scams, people getting jacked for ingame stuff worth $$$$ of IRL dollars, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

I.N.R.I posted:

Fag! Homo

You all gently caress spaceships and cum in them

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010
All this talk of Star Citizen has made me want to pick up E:D again. Don't even know why i stopped playing.

On another note: I really hope The Escapist doesn't back out on the lawsuit deal. Its just a bunch of posturing from CR, like a pufferfish inflating itself to deter the sharks.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Gwaihir posted:

There will never be a "Last game you need ever"

Of course not, but it's really easy for nerd fantasies to get really carried away and convince them otherwise.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

How much time does the Escapist have left now? Will they actually print something to call CIG's obvious bluff or do you think they will just ignore it?

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Wafflz posted:

How much time does the Escapist have left now? Will they actually print something to call CIG's obvious bluff or do you think they will just ignore it?

they dont have to post anything. chris' response and that terrible threat to sue dont require any action

they literally pulled a smart and did nothing but said they might sue. if they want to sue, let them sue, you dont have to take your article down regardless

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

I was kinda hoping they would post something telling croberts to eat poo poo but in all likelihood they will probably just ignore it.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
How generous it's going to be of Chris to not sue the Escapist. That's the kind of person we should donate more money to.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
When is this CitizenCon thing supposed to start anyway?

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)

Gwaihir posted:

Of course not, there's no way in hell you have EVE's battle scale without also going with EVE's point and click gameplay. That scale isn't really needed though to have the same impact, it's more about the sandboxy nullspace structure and the anything goes attitude in regards to suicide ganks, scams, people getting jacked for ingame stuff worth $$$$ of IRL dollars, etc.

I thought you could buy lifetime insurance for ships, i really have no idea about this game..

So what sort of scale are they selling?

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

Nation posted:

I thought you could buy lifetime insurance for ships, i really have no idea about this game..

They're hoping to have 16 people able to play concurrantly. In 2 weeks.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Nation posted:

The lifetime insurance was an early bird thing, I think you had to get an account during the Kickstarter, and then you had a certain grace period (I think it was a year?) where any extra ships you bought would come with life insurance (and this would be retained if you resold them to others so I think some people made money doing this).

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

univbee posted:

The lifetime insurance was an early bird thing, I think you had to get an account during the Kickstarter, and then you had a certain grace period (I think it was a year?) where any extra ships you bought would come with life insurance (and this would be retained if you resold them to others so I think some people made money doing this).

But they have never figured out what lifetime insurance means. And have tried to remove it a few times.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

univbee posted:

I think the big difference was how relatively tiny and decentralized (i.e. no Facebook/Twitter/non-niche highly populated message boards) the internet was back then.
Oh of course. Slashdot, Penny Arcade, game magazine forums or Planet Game communities is where most of this was raging on.
The main difference is that the effect was more reactionary and speculative as news would come in part from magazines or exclusives on a site.

But often popular opinions would form and spread across, especially given post Daikatana and DNF or even things like WarCraft 3 taking ages. People were becoming more impatient as games were taking longer then ever.

Rarely you might get a dev post on a forum, or a .plan, but no luxury of direct twitter contact. Even a personal email would barely get a response.

You might get the odd angry letter to the ed or a snide opinion piece in an outlet, but as you say then it was very localised and niche - but growing louder.

Today the direct feedback of Facebook and twitter has completely reshaped PR. You have little room to mess up.

Also cancelling a preorder wouldn't affect Valve much as it was largely done via EB or something.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007
You can't have insurance if you have no idea what the economy is going to be, which it doesn't because nothing design-wise for Star Citizen exists except for pie in the sky ideas in Robert's head.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I've only really known and cared about what Star Citizen was supposed to be for the last few days but Derek "DreamSmasher" Smart is good and I enjoy the whole ruckus. Almost makes me wish I bought ships jpegs so I could get a refund now.

sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!

Paladinus posted:

Pillars of Eternety is really good. Shadowrun is also great, especially Dragonfall.

E: Wasteland 2 is underwhelming, but far from a trainwreck.

Interesting, what's lacking with Wasteland 2 if you want to elaborate? I basically waited it out - might delve into it with the uncut version or whatever it is called.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
It's just not good

Pillars and Shadowrun own tho

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

sorla78 posted:

Interesting, what's lacking with Wasteland 2 if you want to elaborate? I basically waited it out - might delve into it with the uncut version or whatever it is called.

It's still pretty nineties in game design with lots of trap choices and the like

Still a complete game

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
Wasteland 2 has a directors cut / FIXED version coming out soon I believe, with a bunch of feature refinements and (I think) graphical improvements.

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

CLEAN YOUR ROOM!, 'they' said.
DO YOUR HOMEWORK!, 'they' said.
WHY ARE YOU IN LOVE WITH A CARTOON PONY, 'they' said.
FOR GODSAKE! STOP SHOWING US YOUR BLACKHOLE'!! 'they' said.

When I lit the match....STOP SCREAMING, 'I' said
"The Orly Taitz of computer gaming" jesus i don't know if even Derek Smart deserves that, though I am having a tough time arguing against it.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

WebDog posted:

Oh of course. Slashdot, Penny Arcade, game magazine forums or Planet Game communities is where most of this was raging on.
The main difference is that the effect was more reactionary and speculative as news would come in part from magazines or exclusives on a site.

But often popular opinions would form and spread across, especially given post Daikatana and DNF or even things like WarCraft 3 taking ages. People were becoming more impatient as games were taking longer then ever.

Rarely you might get a dev post on a forum, or a .plan, but no luxury of direct twitter contact. Even a personal email would barely get a response.

You might get the odd angry letter to the ed or a snide opinion piece in an outlet, but as you say then it was very localised and niche - but growing louder.

Today the direct feedback of Facebook and twitter has completely reshaped PR. You have little room to mess up.

Also cancelling a preorder wouldn't affect Valve much as it was largely done via EB or something.

Hell, even if you paid for Daikatana and ended up regretting it, back then there was probably decent odds that you could force the store you bought it from to take it back, at the very least for store credit.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Nation posted:

The ~plan~ was that you got the lifetime insurance (Or just bought regular rear end insurance in game), but that it doesn't cover all the items equipped on your ship (guns, engines, powerplant, etc), only the hull and default equipment it comes with. The default gear was described as being a 1-3 in quality/power/whatever on a 1-10 scale.
Supposedly the fitting would end up similar to EVE where the base hull is only a small part of the total cost of a ship, the real expensive bit is unique pieces of gear or modules. Even if you had insurance (Which also supposedly wouldn't work/be valid for the most dangerous/lucrative zones) the replacement items you got wouldn't necessarily be the same quality as the stuff you lost.

As for scale, I think their most optimistic estimates were always in the ~100 players range (Although this has always been the most vague of all their answers and I don't pay nearly the attention that AP or Beer4theBeerGod do to know if that has ever been clarified to any level of satisfaction. I'm going to just go out on a limb and say that it hasn't). Orders of magnitude smaller than anything eve-like.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
I've got a bit of a conundrum.

I pledged I think 70 bucks for a space fighter plane thing at some point not long after the Kickstarter ended. Some time ago I lost faith in the game and in Chris Roberts, right around the time I first heard the term "the verse."

Now, 70 bucks is 70 bucks and I could use it to buy Fallout 4 or a nice bottle of wine or something.

Here's what is holding me back- if I get a refund, I won't be able to join any future class-action lawsuit.

I would rather get some sum lower than 70 dollars back if it also means I get to be party to a class-action suit against Christ Roberts and the rest of those shitbirds.

This is surely more cut and dry for people with more money to claw back, but for me it's just 70 bucks, and even if I only got 50 cents on the dollar in a future settlement, it would be worth 35 dollars to me to be a party to the settlement.

The risk to me is "what if the game comes out and there is no class-action lawsuit."

In that case, I can't get my money back and I'm stuck with an ugly space ship in an abominable game full of people I am contemptuous of.

So, do I go for the refund or hold out?

hakimashou fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Oct 5, 2015

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

univbee posted:

Hell, even if you paid for Daikatana and ended up regretting it, back then there was probably decent odds that you could force the store you bought it from to take it back, at the very least for store credit.

Or trade it in before the whole "you can't trade in things with a CD key" thing happened.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Stanko-Prussian posted:

"The Orly Taitz of computer gaming" jesus i don't know if even Derek Smart deserves that, though I am having a tough time arguing against it.

Didn't orly taitz actually file lawsuits though?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

hakimashou posted:

I pledged I think 70 bucks for a space fighter plane thing at some point not longer than the Kickstarter ended. Some time ago I lost faith in the game and in Chris Roberts, right around the time I first heard the term "the verse."

Now, 70 bucks is 70 bucks and I could use it to buy Fallout 4 or a nice bottle of wine or something.

Here's what is holding me back- if I get a refund, I won't be able to join any future class-action lawsuit.

I would rather get some sum lower than 70 dollars back if it also means I get to be party to a class-action suit against Christ Roberts and the rest of those shitbirds.

This is surely more cut and dry for people with more money to claw back, but for me it's just 70 bucks, and even if I only got 50 cents on the dollar in a future settlement, it would be worth 35 dollars to me to be a party to the settlement.

The risk to me is "what if the game comes out and there is no class-action lawsuit."

In that case, I can't get my money back and I'm stuck with an ugly space ship in an abominable game full of people I am contemptuous of.

Don't wait for a class action lawsuit rofl.

GreenLight
Apr 5, 2014

Can I keep his head for a souvenir ?

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

And so on and so on.

Not to be rude, but why the gently caress did you people pay so much for the promise of a virtual spaceship one day in the far future?!
You could buy a drivable toy spaceship for less, in real life! or a hundred good and actually existing games!

I can't wrap my mind around it, I honestly can't.

Earn enough money, so that spending 100 bucks on something feels like spening 1 buck when you where a student.

At least thats true for me.

you dont really care even if the chance of success is small.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)

Gwaihir posted:

The ~plan~ was that you got the lifetime insurance (Or just bought regular rear end insurance in game), but that it doesn't cover all the items equipped on your ship (guns, engines, powerplant, etc), only the hull and default equipment it comes with. The default gear was described as being a 1-3 in quality/power/whatever on a 1-10 scale.
Supposedly the fitting would end up similar to EVE where the base hull is only a small part of the total cost of a ship, the real expensive bit is unique pieces of gear or modules. Even if you had insurance (Which also supposedly wouldn't work/be valid for the most dangerous/lucrative zones) the replacement items you got wouldn't necessarily be the same quality as the stuff you lost.

As for scale, I think their most optimistic estimates were always in the ~100 players range (Although this has always been the most vague of all their answers and I don't pay nearly the attention that AP or Beer4theBeerGod do to know if that has ever been clarified to any level of satisfaction. I'm going to just go out on a limb and say that it hasn't). Orders of magnitude smaller than anything eve-like.

sounds like it will be fun when its released

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

hakimashou posted:

I pledged I think 70 bucks for a space fighter plane thing at some point not long after the Kickstarter ended. Some time ago I lost faith in the game and in Chris Roberts, right around the time I first heard the term "the verse."

The cult of roberts isn't going to sue cig, they are going to make excuses for why dear leader couldn't produce his dream game because of the evils of derek smart and click bait.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Wafflz posted:

End of day today. Probably CST time. If they don't comply, then its time to enter to Octogon.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

95% certain nothing is going to happen today.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Wafflz posted:

I was kinda hoping they would post something telling croberts to eat poo poo but in all likelihood they will probably just ignore it.

If their parent corp Defy Media is as large as I think it is -- they're partially owned by Viacom -- they'll know to shut their face and only talk through counsel. If there's a public statement of any kind, expect it to be far above the standard set by the CIG CEO and in-house counsel.

Or they could leave it up to Liz, who seems to love intentionally undermining her credibility by including needless inflammatory language atop evidence that speaks for itself. That would be awesome too.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

:siren: http://dereksmart3000ad.tumblr.com/post/130555592609/the-star-citizen-conspiracy :siren:

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

CrazyLoon posted:

Sure, but personality counts a fair bit in all these cases. Firaxis just generally doesn't have that much of an ego thing going internally, at least from what I can tell. Watch any interview with Jake Solomon and he's completely chill and willing to take the piss out of himself. Plus he has an absolutely baller team that he genuinely works with, as opposed to brownbeats with his 'vision'.

So...enough of an ego to put their name front and center on a large group project, but not so much as to prevent anyone from doing their job?

Based on the sample size of the last 35+ years of videogame history, that's an extremely rare personality.

Sid Meier 2016

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

"Kevin is a washed-up has been, who foolishly thinks people like him"

:lol: loving irony

sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!
Correspondent of the German Press Agency opinions in over at the brown sea.
https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/5693492/#Comment_5693492

His twitter:
https://twitter.com/fishmyman

quote:

Hi all,
Obviously this drama between The Escapist and CIG is threatening to devolve into needless drama and endless back and forth, but I thought I would give my perspective on the artice, from the perspective of a journalist (which I, unfortunately, am.)

Now I don't write anything as important as gaming news - I covered political affairs in the Middle East for 2 years before moving to Asia to cover international relations, riots and politics. (Feel free to follow me @Fishmyman on twitter for politics and IR from Myanmar to the Philippines - shameless plug)

In my line of work, there are a lot of unnamed sources, to protect them from reprisals from governments/insurgents/kidnappers/retribution. It is a common journalistic practice when the norm is one of kidnappings and extortion.

Much better journalists than myself have gone to jail to protect the identity of their sources.

THAT BEING SAID, a couple of things do not make sense in terms of this Escapist claim that they're protecting their sources.

- 7 unnamed sources is irresponsible. If you're going to have that many and the article is going to be a hit piece, you need at least one NAMED source or else it will devolve the way it currently has.
- The Escapists goes on and on about common journalistic ethics, but journalistic ethics means that you never go to press without getting both sides of the picture - including giving the source ample time to respond. --- It seems like they did not give them sufficient time but still got a response which they failed to include at time of press.
- What kind of online outlet has a "rush to print" deadline?
- That response time frame is the thing that stinks the most and why this feels like a really biased piece, the rush to print, the claims of a response email going to spam.

Needless to say if I was the ME of this publication, I would ask serious questions of my staff.

hope this offers a new perspective.

best
C

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

And so on and so on.

Not to be rude, but why the gently caress did you people pay so much for the promise of a virtual spaceship one day in the far future?!
You could buy a drivable toy spaceship for less, in real life! or a hundred good and actually existing games!

I can't wrap my mind around it, I honestly can't.

On a lark I decided to check out my purchasing history. CIG has a little tracker that lets you know your shame precisely how much you've spent. Currently it's sitting at $600 for me. $260 of that is subscriber fees; I pay $10 a month to piss off people by asking good questions and also getting a little digital magazine thing that's fun to read. I could get it for free via Reddit, but I'm an adult and don't mind paying for things.

As for the rest, I originally spent $37 when the Kickstarter came out. Then I upped my pledge to $110 in June of 2013. I liked what CIG was doing and decided they had shown sufficient progress to justify a little more from me. At the time I rationalized it as basically buying a collector's edition box. Around that same time the laundering craze hit and people started having me melt their packages for the same ones with LTI, and a lot of people gave me the difference in price. When the Caterpillar came out I put in another $10 so I could get it (since I had enough credit otherwise). Again, minor drop for what I thought was a cool ship. In November CIG did a charity drive for US Veterans, so I dropped $20 towards that. My buddy got interested in SC so he paid me $60 to give him a ship around that time too. The remaining purchases were $10 or $20 drops made to pick up various things I thought were cool.

So there you go. Is it stupid? Sure. So is getting a latte every day from Starbucks. I could have sat with my $37 purchase and largely gotten the same thing I have now, but after three years of insanity I really don't mind and I really did believe in the project when I made those purchases. Between the $60 my friend paid me and the $300 I got back from selling a Super Hornet years ago I've only really paid for the subscription, and I'm not sure how much I would get back anyway. Like most things the total is mostly a bunch of little purchases accrued over time.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Derek Smart seems to be aware of the irony that, he too, is a washed up failiure. He does openly criticize (e: some of) his own games.

Derek Smart posted:

Not that I support the use of any such blacklist, but think about this for a moment. And why him? I wasn’t even ON that list. Like, ever. And I’m Derek Smart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Nation posted:

sounds like it will be fun when its released

I know it's a joke and lol it won't ever exist and all that, but I doubt they go with anything at all remotely EVE styled now for whatever does come out.

They did some forum poll a long while back about what type of gameplay backers wanted to see, in terms of like exploration, organizational combat, pirating, trading, and maybe some other poo poo that I don't remember. But the winner by far was exploration and non combat trading or something like that, and they decided to take that to heart and lo, thus the space bus liner and MIXMASTER-4000 minigame was born, along with consistent reassurances that poor carebares will never have to see another mean ole player if they don't want to.

This is the company that actually made up a rule banning the use of "Carebare" in posts on their forums as a derogatory/slur.

Not even kidding about that.

• Locked thread