Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Companions recycled for the next game would probably be limited to people who couldn't die or end up in a major position of power by the end of Trespasser. So that's, Sera, Cole and Dorian?

I think Dorian is maybe the only one I'd want to see return.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Skippy McPants posted:

Companions recycled for the next game would probably be limited to people who couldn't die or end up in a major position of power by the end of Trespasser. So that's, Sera, Cole and Dorian?

I think Dorian is maybe the only one I'd want to see return.

I'm hoping that none of the previous party members return this time. I'd be okay with NPCs, but I think everyone who's been fighting so far already has their part in the story taken care of.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Geostomp posted:

I'm hoping that none of the previous party members return this time. I'd be okay with NPCs, but I think everyone who's been fighting so far already has their part in the story taken care of.

They've carried forward one companion every time so far, but I think this time around it'll probably be someone like Harding

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Considering that we will likely be going to Tevinter next, I'm 100% sure that Dorian will play a bigger role in DA4. But I don't think that anybody from Inquisition will return as a party member. Sera has nothing to do with Tevinter, Cole's adventuring days are probably over one way or another, the others are probably tied up in important poo poo in southern Thedas and Dorian will probably be a big and important quest giver/ally, but not a real party member.

What class would Scout Harding be? Rogue?

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

I kind of hope we get to see whatever the hell is going on at Weisshaupt and depending on your choices Hawke/Stroud/Alistair/Loghain, Warden Carver/Bethany, and Blackwall are involved.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
It's actually kinda funny that the whole premise of DA2 - the Mage-Templar issues - are just basically solved in one ending slide.

What would be the worst three companions to bring, combat wise? Just wondering how far you'd need to carry them. I'm guessing Bull and Varric, and then Sera, because she wants to be up close and stabbity, while Dorian and Cole can hang from range?

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

The next companion will be the Hero of Fereldan.

No dialogue, just stares at you.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Torrannor posted:

What class would Scout Harding be? Rogue?
Bow rogue, I'm guessing.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Doctor Reynolds posted:

The next companion will be the Hero of Fereldan.

No dialogue, just stares at you.

they suffered a tragic throat injury rendering them mute

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

AriadneThread posted:

they suffered a tragic throat injury rendering them mute

They also had a fade accident turning them into a green blob monster. Sadly, you cannot make out their race or gender anymore.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

They let you design hawk in DA:I , so maybe one day you'll get to have a party of only protagonists and you'll have to design like 10 characters at the beginning. My army of lesbian elven mages gonna wreck your poo poo.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Spikeguy posted:

They let you design hawk in DA:I , so maybe one day you'll get to have a party of only protagonists and you'll have to design like 10 characters at the beginning. My army of lesbian elven mages gonna wreck your poo poo.

there's something magical about the idea of wrapping back around to a fully customization party
to go so far and be back at the start

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Spikeguy posted:

you know if they get to Dragon Age 10 or so

someone in Thedas is going to wonder why every major hero of the Dragon Age is like ... a redheaded sarcastic agnostic lesbian mage

or whatever

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

AriadneThread posted:

there's something magical about the idea of wrapping back around to a fully customization party
to go so far and be back at the start

Could do it something like the original Megami Tensei where they say "this guy is a hero of law" and you design what they look like but then the game runs them like a regular NPC.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

SgtSteel91 posted:

I kind of hope we get to see whatever the hell is going on at Weisshaupt and depending on your choices Hawke/Stroud/Alistair/Loghain, Warden Carver/Bethany, and Blackwall are involved.

Trespasser ending spoilers about above characters: If Hawke is alive he's actually back in Kirkwall chilling with Varick, and Warden comes back to hang out with Lelianna if she was romanced back in Origins. Them going to Weishaupt or trying to end the calling respectively doesn't even get a mention.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Pattonesque posted:

you know if they get to Dragon Age 10 or so

someone in Thedas is going to wonder why every major hero of the Dragon Age is like ... a redheaded sarcastic agnostic lesbian mage

or whatever
I can see them actually getting to an end and then releasing the Ultimate All Time Edition with every game and DLC, and then we'll all spend the next 5 years doing complete series runs with every PC being exactly the same including appearance just for laughs.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
Do you think we'll have decent hair options by Dragon Age 10?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Crow Jane posted:

Do you think we'll have decent hair options by Dragon Age 10?

This is Bioware, so probably not. I can't think of a relatively recent game they've done that has good hair.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I wonder what the canon world state is going to be with regards to the old God soul being out there.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Iron Tusk posted:

I wonder what the canon world state is going to be with regards to the old God soul being out there.

The default is dead female Dalish Elf because that cuts off as many possibilities as they can manage for simplicity's sake. So Kieran doesn't exist.

Though, given what we've seen, Old God Kieran fathered and raised by a male Warden is probably what the story works best with.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Iron Tusk posted:

Does it really matter since Solas, who is already a god, ends up with it anyway?

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

I'm more curious who the canon world state Inquisitor is going to be. I always felt like Lavellan was the most appropriate one given how much of the story revolves around elves getting dicked over.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Or Trevelyan, given their political ties to possibly both Chantry and Circles. It could all depend on how much Bioware wants to handle overarching story, if it's just politics then Trevelyan is relatively standalone. If it's end of the world as we know it, Lavellan fits elf and link to antagonist.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

If they follow what they did with Origins, where the default was a Dalish, the least involved protagonist option, then a qunari would probably be the most probable.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

When I try to import a world state from the keep on Xbox I keep getting the default world state, what gives?

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
I think canon Inquisitor is female human rogue, even though it seems like female elf mage had the most effort put into it.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
It does seem likely that the canon Inquisitor will be a rogue. Bioware said that when they were making Inquisition, to them the Hero of Ferelden is a warrior, Hawke is a mage, and the Inquisitor is the rogue of the bunch.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Baron Porkface posted:

When I try to import a world state from the keep on Xbox I keep getting the default world state, what gives?

Make sure all of your updates are applied, restart your wifi connection, and then restart the Xbox. That's what I had to do.

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.

Beefstew posted:

I think canon Inquisitor is female human rogue, even though it seems like female elf mage had the most effort put into it.

I was wondering if that was just me, given that that's the only Inquisitor I've played. But I also wasn't sure how much of anything could top it, particularly after I finished Trepasser.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Does having an unbalanced team cause any problems on normal difficulty? I've just met Iron Bull and while I'll miss having barriers Solas is a total wiener anyway, three warriors and a smartass dwarf should be fine :colbert:

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

Does having an unbalanced team cause any problems on normal difficulty? I've just met Iron Bull and while I'll miss having barriers Solas is a total wiener anyway, three warriors and a smartass dwarf should be fine :colbert:

Barriers are the most important thing a party can have and Varric really falls behind thanks to Bianca not levelling up anymore.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

aaawwwww but he's a wiieeeenerrrr :(

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
You only have to put up with Solas and Vivienne until you grab Dorian.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
The new barrier upgrade toggle makes them even more ridiculous, as 'stays at full strength for 5 seconds' seems to mean 'even when you should be taking damage.'

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

On occasion you'll run into obstacles only a certain class can get through, like you need a rogue to open locks, a mage is needed to do certain quests and anything with veilfire and elemental attacks are needed to break wards, warriors can break walls though this comes up the least I think.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Just finished the game, and now I'm sad. Also, I didn't understand the bit after the credits. I must have missed something in the storytelling, or maybe it's because I didn't really interact with Solas after I no longer needed him in my team.

Also, I was pretty disappointed with the end in general. The final fight was too easy, and the only enjoyable thing in the end was Iron Bull giving me a hickey on my big hairy neck.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

criscodisco posted:

Just finished the game, and now I'm sad. Also, I didn't understand the bit after the credits. I must have missed something in the storytelling, or maybe it's because I didn't really interact with Solas after I no longer needed him in my team.

Also, I was pretty disappointed with the end in general. The final fight was too easy, and the only enjoyable thing in the end was Iron Bull giving me a hickey on my big hairy neck.

Yes, that character is pretty much central to the whole game, which becomes even more clear in the Trespasser DLC. Which you should probably get, it would answer your questions, and it sets the stage for the next Dragon Age game.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

Wolfsheim posted:

The new barrier upgrade toggle makes them even more ridiculous, as 'stays at full strength for 5 seconds' seems to mean 'even when you should be taking damage.'

Nah Barrier just soaks a lot of damage. Just take a look at the description of barrier itself on a high level mage. I swear I was seeing numbers like 17000-18000. For reference, I checked Cassandra's health and it was sitting at about 900. Barriers are just really loving sturdy. The drain over time is very obviously the only real limiting factor there.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Ciaphas posted:

aaawwwww but he's a wiieeeenerrrr :(

And yet he survives combat waaaaay better than Bull.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
drat Cole with guard on hit daggers is an invincible monster.

I should have made a rogue.

• Locked thread