Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Welp it happened, I was trying to alleviate the fears and nonstop posting of someone on Facebook by saying, "don't worry, elementary schools full of dead kids isn't enough to START a gun conversation in this country, nobody is taking your guns" and her response was, "you mean the school shooting that never happened?"

gently caress this gay Earth

edit - "You know that no matter what side you vote for they both still work for the same people. Although Hilary works for satan."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Epic High Five posted:

Welp it happened, I was trying to alleviate the fears and nonstop posting of someone on Facebook by saying, "don't worry, elementary schools full of dead kids isn't enough to START a gun conversation in this country, nobody is taking your guns" and her response was, "you mean the school shooting that never happened?"

edit - "You know that no matter what side you vote for they both still work for the same people. Although Hilary works for satan."
Send her that picture of Alan Kurdi (the toddler on the beach), and ask if that's fake too.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

fade5 posted:

Send her that picture of Alan Kurdi (the toddler on the beach), and ask if that's fake too.

Yeah no lie, I'm afraid to.

Anyway, I was upset that I couldn't really get a conversation going because as soon as I asked something like, "do you think Sheriff Mueller is going to take out ads and go on national TV to tell the parents in his town with all the dead kids that they're lying, like his lot did to the Sandy Hook parents last time?" or "is he going to go door to door arresting people who have their kids in hiding because Obama ordered it?" she just pivoted inelegantly to an completely unrelated talking point :sigh:

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
You might want to start by letting her know that They Live wasn't a documentary.

Epic High Five posted:

Yeah no lie, I'm afraid to.

Anyway, I was upset that I couldn't really get a conversation going because as soon as I asked something like, "do you think Sheriff Mueller is going to take out ads and go on national TV to tell the parents in his town with all the dead kids that they're lying, like his lot did to the Sandy Hook parents last time?" or "is he going to go door to door arresting people who have their kids in hiding because Obama ordered it?" she just pivoted inelegantly to an completely unrelated talking point :sigh:

There's literally no way to win an argument with someone that is into crisis actor theories. Everything you could throw at them will be deflected. They're already convinced that there's a shadow organization that goes through the process of orchestrating fantastically complex scenarios, including known actors and all local governmental/media organizations, when sending in a paid idiot with a gun would accomplish the same thing for like $50.

If you still want to try, the conspiracy and FWD email threads are good spots to start.

Sir Tonk fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Oct 5, 2015

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
It may surprise you to discover that people with irrational thoughts cannot be rationally appealed to

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Or that, that's a good way to look at it.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea there's kinda just a point where you have to say 'what, you're insane, bye'. She's made a small condo in that point.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Epic High Five posted:

I remember when the Sandy Hook crisis actor nonsense was limited to delusional schizophrenics.

I guess you can argue it's the same train of thought as 9/11 truthers: They either can't or don't want to believe something that evil and random can occur, so they take comfort in thinking it's a grand conspiracy hatched and carefully controlled by intellectual masterminds.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Its important to remember than rationalism and critical thought are a unique capability of the human brain but they are not inherent to the human brain. We are hard wired to be stupid, gullible, and reluctant to rethink prior assumptions.

You cannot universally appeal to human rationality because human rationality is not universal. Very many people instinctively take positions for irrational reasons and will never abandon them.

The best you can do is endeavor to hold yourself to being rational and skeptical and constantly challenge your own assumptions. Those around you cannot be converted by a solid argument as ideally as we would like to believe they can.

MasterControl
Jul 28, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Rhesus Pieces posted:

I remember when the Sandy Hook crisis actor nonsense was limited to delusional schizophrenics.

I guess you can argue it's the same train of thought as 9/11 truthers: They either can't or don't want to believe something that evil and random can occur, so they take comfort in thinking it's a grand conspiracy hatched and carefully controlled by intellectual masterminds.

Wait so those weren't missiles bought by the illuminati then?

What were they, planes? As if.

I'm not being serious.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Guess running into an actual, honest to god Sandy Hook truther was too much for even my seasoning brain to deal with. I guess I was just really really hoping she would say that she hoped Mueller went around arresting grieving parents because Obama

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Yeah I guess. I'm just annoyed people bitch about conservatives doing this same loving poo poo and run themselves in circles about how no this is totally different when it isn't. It's just pointless pedantry to score points on the other team and feel smug. Enjoy the circlejerk.
Opinions are subjective, and in many ways I agree with mr. mephitopheles even when he says things that stiffens the backs of some posters around here. I think his points are indeed valid and that we, as the opposition, should take care not to use attacks against them that then work against us as well.

All I think he's asking for is a certain reverence towards nuance and not knee-jerking against a more moderate, "Even if it's not intentional, you have to admit there's a similar hard-line reactionary behavior that we should shy away from."

I agree that we should speak as loudly as possible. I also agree with mr. mephistopheles that there are reasons to constrain the emotional need to make very dogmatic statements, without naunce. I say this because I think I agree with him that in so many cases those posts are basically just as bad as the RWM knee-jerk reactions that make us all so angry, with the exception being that when we do it, it's from our own outrage and comes off as just as calculated, even when it is not.

I think he deserves to be heard and I think he makes valid points, yet other posters in D&D just want to censor him and it seems like a purity test to me.

I don't approve of purity tests. I think we should all be on the same side and allow some leeway for minor disagreements without trying to censor someone.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
What the gently caress

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Dr. Faustus posted:

Opinions are subjective, and in many ways I agree with mr. mephitopheles even when he says things that stiffens the backs of some posters around here. I think his points are indeed valid and that we, as the opposition, should take care not to use attacks against them that then work against us as well.

All I think he's asking for is a certain reverence towards nuance and not knee-jerking against a more moderate, "Even if it's not intentional, you have to admit there's a similar hard-line reactionary behavior that we should shy away from."

I agree that we should speak as loudly as possible. I also agree with mr. mephistopheles that there are reasons to constrain the emotional need to make very dogmatic statements, without naunce. I say this because I think I agree with him that in so many cases those posts are basically just as bad as the RWM knee-jerk reactions that make us all so angry, with the exception being that when we do it, it's from our own outrage and comes off as just as calculated, even when it is not.

I think he deserves to be heard and I think he makes valid points, yet other posters in D&D just want to censor him and it seems like a purity test to me.

I don't approve of purity tests. I think we should all be on the same side and allow some leeway for minor disagreements without trying to censor someone.

As a person who has just snorted about 30 tubes of Elmers glue, I agree

Mercury_Storm fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Oct 5, 2015

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Saying someone posted a dumb thing: basically censorship and silencing.

Did you know if you quote a post and make fun of it goons are sent to bust someone's computer up?

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Dr. Faustus posted:

Opinions are subjective, and in many ways I agree with mr. mephitopheles

You'd better repent now before it's too late, Mr. Mephistopheles doesn't have your best interests at heart.

Also that's not the real Helen of Troy.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
DON'T YOU BRING HELEN INTO THIS!

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Saying someone posted a dumb thing: basically censorship and silencing.
I read the posts. He stopped trying to make his point specifically because of the no true Scotsman attitude some posters have. Forgive me for thinking it is unfair and an over-reaction to some valid criticisms of "Our way or the Highway" kind of reactions towards some who point out a little hypocrisy when they see it. I think he was treated too harshly and now, it's my turn.

I don't think what he said was particularly dumb, I think he was trying to point out a valid critique of taking a real-world matter in which nuance is valuable and turning into a binary "with us or against us" purity test. I cannot support that.

Thank you sirs, may I have another?

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Oct 5, 2015

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

lol at idiots that conflate criticism with censorship.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Cnidaria posted:

lol at idiots that conflate criticism with censorship.
Criticism is not ad hom attacks, those personal harmful words are not reasonable debate. Like the reasonable debate I expect from this forum. It has a chilling effect that makes people who are on your side but have an unpopular view decide to self-censor rather than get beat up on by people like you who immediately call them "idiots."

That is censorship. You drive out your own with your ad hom attacks and then claim that's criticism? It's not. It's bullying. It's dog-piling. There's no justification for it. He was respectful, but was met with personal attacks. That's not defensible. It's not debate. It's not even reasoned discussion.

I might be an idiot, but this is not why. I'm an idiot for even responding to this kind of personal attack over a difference of opinion on a forum purportedly devoted to debate and discussion.

Ran Mad Dog
Aug 15, 2006
Algeapea and noodles - I will take your udon!
Thank mom. I'll be sure to keep that in mind the next time some guy comes in and starts screaming about "you liberals" he believes to be doing XXXXX thing.

Bonus points if XXXXX thing is a talking point from Fox or Limbaugh.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Liberals are so mean. A conservative just says from the heart that we shouldn't lift a finger to stop massacres because poo poo happens, and those mean nasy ol' libs say that's a bad attitude for a president to have towards public safety. So mean.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

So I tried to figure out why a gay man posting on Breitbart is loved by the audience that DESPISES LGBT population. This comment perfectly sums up why

quote:

Jonnysuavo • 11 hours ago
I normally really hate (yes hate, the most bitter savage emotional hate you can muster) gays and their mindset, but Milo, I love (yes love, the most flattering, respectful emotional love I can feel towards another man from the slant of heterosexuality) the images you evoke through your words. Listen, if the lgbt and feminist goons could accept their place as Americans in a big melting pot where differences are discarded and common purpose is a goal for all, I'd be a rainbow mascot! I don't have a problem with the same sex love that I will never understand. I don't have a problem with the female need to find significance in this world. I have a problem when the solution is at my personal.expense. I have a problem when I am seen as the problem because of my penis or because I can't understand why an anus looks sexually attractive. When I am seen as another good American even if I don't understand homosexuality or the situation of my life without a penis, then that will mean the lgbt community and feminists have finally accepted me for what I am. I am an American and a citizen of planet earth. In the end that's what homosexuals and feminists mean to me. Thanks Milo for helping me see that.

It is all about "he is on our side"

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Epic High Five posted:

Guess running into an actual, honest to god Sandy Hook truther was too much for even my seasoning brain to deal with. I guess I was just really really hoping she would say that she hoped Mueller went around arresting grieving parents because Obama

They exist here, too. Even in Newtown there are freaking truthers. Although, in Connecticut after Sandy Hook, we actually did take all the guns make gun owners register their semi-automatic rifles.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

I'm not surprised that someone named Dr. Faustus would support Mephistopheles.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Those who dont use their heads don't need one.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Epic High Five posted:

I have an Uncle who is a Sandy Hook truther. What someone said earlier about "people who believe in crisis actors are to far gone already" was 100% right. He carries a "survival straw" with him everywhere because he's worried about mind controlling drugs in the water.

squibble
Sep 30, 2003

SalTheBard posted:

He carries a "survival straw" with him everywhere because he's worried about mind controlling drugs in the water.

I... I'm sorry, what?

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

squibble posted:

I... I'm sorry, what?

Looks like they already got to you, sorry.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

I cannot imagine the sort of person who would have to appear on camera in front of a microphone and allow their roots to get that bad.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

squibble posted:

I... I'm sorry, what?

Water purifier thingy in a straw.

King Metal
Jun 15, 2001

squibble posted:

I... I'm sorry, what?

http://www.ammoland.com/2014/07/survival-water-filters/#axzz3ni3Hxj00

Might not be effective at filtering out mind controlling drugs though

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

King Metal posted:

http://www.ammoland.com/2014/07/survival-water-filters/#axzz3ni3Hxj00

Might not be effective at filtering out mind controlling drugs though

The enemy is so overwhelmingly competent that they have secretly put mind control drugs into everyone's water without the knowledge of all but the lucky few, but also so staggeringly incompetent that those drugs are defeated by water filters, despite the fact that large numbers of people have home water filters for their drinking water.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Dirk the Average posted:

The enemy is so overwhelmingly competent that they have secretly put mind control drugs into everyone's water without the knowledge of all but the lucky few, but also so staggeringly incompetent that those drugs are defeated by water filters, despite the fact that large numbers of people have home water filters for their drinking water.

Now picture this with the speaker unironically puffing a cigarette.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Dirk the Average posted:

There you go again being rational and applying basic critical thinking skills. Or as that uncle would call it, "being a smart-rear end."

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Hah! You think "they" aren't aware of these? "They" load up the filter cartridges with double doses!

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Obviously the people who make the filters are the first ones you'd target for mind control, Jesus Christ.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Rhesus Pieces posted:

There you go again being rational and applying basic critical thinking skills. Or as that uncle would call it, "being a smart-rear end."

Someone should tell him that the chemical can be absorbed through the skin.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
SPLC has added Liberty Counsel to the list of Hate Groups.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

witness ye the collision of lolbertarianism, Florida, Paganism, and Rand-style vanity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

holy poo poo, thats some andrew ryan level ego self dick sucking there. also naming himself after a roman cult holiday is funny to me.