Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I wasn't going to bother with a 950, but my contract does run out at the end of the year...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

.Tim
Jul 3, 2004

wookieepelt posted:

I keep seeing articles on the Internet saying that the lumia 950 and 950XL will launch on the 6th. I thought that was the official press release. Am I wrong in assuming launch means "able to be purchased" or is there a possibility that I can go buy one on Tuesday?

Launch means announced in this case.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
So tonight I'm zooming in my camera with my fingers and some little girl about ten looks over and says, "You zoom like that? You old people and your old phones." Then she rolled her head. She's basically right, I'm an old dude with an old phone (925), what am I missing out on?

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009

s.i.r.e. posted:

The more I use the 640XL the more I hate it, other than it's large size for my large hands I'm waiting to ditch this turd for a flagship, drat I'm disappointed.

Content plskthx

Tesla Was Robbed
Oct 4, 2002
I AM A LIAR

wormil posted:

So tonight I'm zooming in my camera with my fingers and some little girl about ten looks over and says, "You zoom like that? You old people and your old phones." Then she rolled her head. She's basically right, I'm an old dude with an old phone (925), what am I missing out on?
if you slide your finger up and down the right side of the screen, it will zoom in and out.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

wookieepelt posted:

I keep seeing articles on the Internet saying that the lumia 950 and 950XL will launch on the 6th. I thought that was the official press release. Am I wrong in assuming launch means "able to be purchased" or is there a possibility that I can go buy one on Tuesday?

Look into your heart and envision the most unhappy scenario. That scenario is the most likely reality. Now you are a Windows Phone user.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Factor Mystic posted:

We'll see. This stuff is just a really hyper-spin way of saying Google has lost all their recent idiotic patent litigation against Microsoft. Perhaps Google acknowledging Windows (Mobile) is what Microsoft gets instead of cash. That would certainly be nice for users.

If that translates to somehow certain google apps for Windows (both phone and desktop) would be good enough for me.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Tesla Was Robbed posted:

if you slide your finger up and down the right side of the screen, it will zoom in and out.

Kinda nifty but not all that revolutionary. Thanks.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Has the iPhone or an Android caught up with Lumia on audio capture for concerts yet?

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Dr Tran posted:

Has the iPhone or an Android caught up with Lumia on audio capture for concerts yet?

iPhone? Lol, no. HTC got close with it's M8 (stolen mics from Nokia a while back). LG's touting some serious sounding audio stuff with it's "V10" thing so who knows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELD_6aeHGKQ

Edit: 1:34 shows what they are trying to do.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Guillermus posted:

If that translates to somehow certain google apps for Windows (both phone and desktop) would be good enough for me.

Hell, if that translates to Google allowing Microsoft to write those apps it'd be good enough for me

Remember Youtube and Gmail? Fun times, right

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

loquacius posted:

Hell, if that translates to Google allowing Microsoft to write those apps it'd be good enough for me

Remember Youtube and Gmail? Fun times, right

Being fair, I use MetroMail and is far better than the official gmail app on my Nexus 7 2013 and Tube Cast and Metro Tube are better aswell than the official youtube app but I rather have official apps because google tends to update more them or have better compatibility.

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009
More info on 950/950xl. Dual SIM variant ahoy.

http://m.windowscentral.com/new-high-res-photos-lumia-950-and-950-xl

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

No matter how things may seem to change, never forget who you are
Verge has a good roundup of what we know/expect for Tuesday's event.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/10/2/9438727/microsoft-event-preview-surface-pro-4-release-lumia-950-xl

Also MS has apparently built a new version of Nokia's Treasure Tag, which I never bought but always seemed neat.

http://www.windowscentral.com/microsofts-treasure-tag-photos-fcc

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

The Treasure Tag is pretty cool, yeah. It worked really well for me, until a few weeks ago when replacing the battery I broke one of the things holding the battery into place. :v: I hope there's colors other than black.

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009
In other news, Photobeamer is being shitcanned. That and Photosynth (shitcanned a while ago) were two of my favs.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Pen support on the xl or all of windows 10?

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

I tried to recieve a skype call in the latest preview of Windows 10 Mobile and it froze my phone. Right now it's not responding to the touch screen or any physical or capacitive buttons, including holding power to shut down. What's my best move here? Just let the battery run down so it reboots?

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Factor Mystic posted:

I tried to recieve a skype call in the latest preview of Windows 10 Mobile and it froze my phone. Right now it's not responding to the touch screen or any physical or capacitive buttons, including holding power to shut down. What's my best move here? Just let the battery run down so it reboots?

Hold down the power button and volume down or up? I think that's the hard reset combo.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Temper your expectations, everyone

http://www.theverge.com/2015/10/5/9453471/microsoft-lumia-windows-10-phone-expectations

quote:

Satya Nadella has replaced Steve Ballmer at the helm of Microsoft, and he’s brought with him a fundamentally different vision for the future of computing and Microsoft’s place in it. Ballmer believed in devices and services; Nadella is staking Microsoft’s future on mobile and the cloud. The former wanted to be more like Apple, exploiting the synergies of designing both the hardware and software of the company’s devices, while the latter has priorities closer to Google’s, aiming to get the company’s services in front of the most people, no matter the platform. Windows 10 Mobile and the devices powered by it will be just a piece of Microsoft’s broader mobile strategy — rather than the crux of it, as they were with Windows Phone 7.

The Lumia 950 and its bigger sibling are intended not as a revolution, but as a solid foundation to a brighter and better future for Microsoft’s mobile efforts. They should be judged on that basis, not on whether they’re able to make a dent in the Apple and Google duopoly. To achieve that lofty goal, Microsoft will need multiple generations of devices as well as the collaboration of other service providers willing to bring their apps to its platform. Tomorrow’s event will be indicative of how progress is going along that path, while also giving us a pair of interesting new devices to talk about.

I'm curious to see what the inside of Nadella's Microsoft looks like. It seems to be shorter on Kool-Aid than Ballmer's, with more realistic expectations of itself. That's probably good in the long term, I guess :shrug:

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Factor Mystic posted:

Update on this, I let it just sit there and eventually it started working again.

Tesla Was Robbed
Oct 4, 2002
I AM A LIAR

loquacius posted:

I'm curious to see what the inside of Nadella's Microsoft looks like. It seems to be shorter on Kool-Aid than Ballmer's, with more realistic expectations of itself. That's probably good in the long term, I guess :shrug:
if someone can get me an invite, I'll twit it out for everyone. Now that the holidays are over, I have a meeting in Brooklyn at 730 and another at 3. I was going to hit up a museum, but the event should be awesome as well.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

loquacius posted:

I can walk down the hallway with an Android phone without someone following me yelling "SHAME!" which is definitely an improvement. I have a bunch of MS-made apps on my phone, and they're used because they are good, not just because I feel compelled to. Both are important changes.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
So tomorrow should be interesting. Latest rumor is google is going to have apps on Windows 10 phones?!?

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

This intro music is killing me

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

This guy on stage sounds like a car salesman...

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

Did Panay do a line a coke before coming out?

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Holy poo poo, this guy and his purple hat.

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

And now mix master Microsoft hits the stage!

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

Definitely seems wired lol

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

Not going to lie...this is pretty great. Now put intel chips in the phones and let me run full windows apps when i plug it in to the dock station. I am a full apple man, but stuff like this would make me think of switching.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
Huh, you can shove a usb drive into the phone with the display dock. Cool.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

He just said productive as a boss

DarkMalfunction
Sep 5, 2014

Vintimus Prime posted:

He just said productive as a boss

what the fat hipster bloke? lol

Also $139 for a 550 ain't bad, that's like £90 for me. Might hold off buying a 735 and get that instead.

What did you guys think of $549 and $649 for the 950 and 950XL respectively?

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DarkMalfunction posted:

what the fat hipster bloke? lol

Also $139 for a 550 ain't bad, that's like £90 for me. Might hold off buying a 735 and get that instead.

Good prices I think

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

lol. This keynote is definitely unique. I have to admit that I like this new Microsoft.

.Tim
Jul 3, 2004

The 950xl price is fine with me. I was afraid they were going to do some dumb poo poo and want like $850 for it.

Uziduke
Jul 2, 2015

A storm over Europe unleashed
Dawn of war a trail of destruction
The power of Rome won't prevail
See the Catholics shiver and shake
:bravo: OMG GIVE ME NOW and the Surface,

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

DarkMalfunction posted:

Is that including whatever bundled stuff that was mentioned a week ago or so?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkMalfunction
Sep 5, 2014

badjohny posted:

I have to admit that I like this new Microsoft.

Cannot agree with this more.