Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Evil Fluffy posted:

Anyone who says they enjoy working at a prison should probably be executed for the good of humanity.

I'm sure gaolers who hate their jobs will take much better care of their charges.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

If you enjoy working at a prison you are broken.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Seems like a good guess.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Dead Reckoning posted:

I'm sure gaolers who hate their jobs will take much better care of their charges.

They won't be eager to move on to the next prison beatdown when they hate doing so or being around the prisoners, so yeah probably? You'd have to put some effort in to making our prison system worse.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

Luigi Thirty posted:

If you enjoy working at a prison you are broken.

Wasn't there some college that did an experiment where they took some students and made some prisoners, and others guards, and it just naturally devolved into the "guards" abusing the "prisoners"?

Slickdrac fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Oct 5, 2015

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Really I don't see what the DoD can even do about the situation other than restrict the Afghans from direct fire support calls, which is going to cause problems all its own.

It's the kind of thing where you have to acknowledge the tragedy and ask, "What the gently caress are we supposed to do?" when there are no good sociopolitical options to Afghanistan or most of the mideast for that matter.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Slickdrac posted:

Wasn't there some college that did an experiment where they took some students and made some prisoners, and others guards, and it just naturally devolved into the "guards" abusing the "prisoners"?

That's the Stanford prison experiment, and it was really bad science. Zimbardo, for all his fame, didn't build as good an experiment as required for the kind of experiment it was. Best to be forgotten.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Trabisnikof posted:

If you actually think someone in the Pentagon made the decision to blow up a MSF hospital, knowing it was a hospital and knowing there were no enemy there, you are an idiot.

I'm sorry but that is actually what happened. I don't have to think or believe it.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

euphronius posted:

I'm sorry but that is actually what happened.

No, stop. This is not actually what happened. That's not how the military works.

Short of the SecDef, no one in the Pentagon is even in the operational chain of command.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

euphronius posted:

I'm sorry but that is actually what happened.

The motivation being?

Why isn't incompetence a much more plausible answer?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

A bunch of upperclass white dudes, checks out.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
Democrats have got some balls ever since McCarthy came out and admitted the Benghazi hearings were to attack Hillary:

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/democrats-benghazi-committee-cheryl-mills-mccarthy

quote:

The Democratic members included previously unreported excerpts of the interview with Mills in the letter, and they told Gowdy that the State Department and Mills' lawyers have five days to identify parts of the interview that should remain private before making the entire transcript public.

Long and short, republicans interviewed one of Clinton's aides, but said it was confidential, no one could ever see the transcript, then leaked a bunch of poo poo anyway, but it was all out of context to try to make Hillary look bad. The full transcripts show they are completely full of poo poo.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Boon posted:

No, stop. This is not actually what happened. That's not how the military works.

The military doesn't blow up buildings?

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Slickdrac posted:

The Stanford prison experiment -- half the participants were guards and the other were prisoners. The guards took to implementing psychological torture and the prisoners took to passive acceptance and eventually torturing other prisoners on orders of the guards.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

i don't get how the airstrike being called in by the afghani army absolves the us military of repeatedly bombing a hospital that was radioing to anyone who would listen that it was in fact a hospital

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Trabisnikof posted:

The motivation being?

Why isn't incompetence a much more plausible answer?

I don't understand are you saying they meant to target some other building ? Even the pentagon doesn't say that.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Condiv posted:

i don't get how the airstrike being called in by the afghani army absolves the us military of repeatedly bombing a hospital that was radioing to anyone who would listen that it was in fact a hospital

Yeah and that's even assuming you believe the pernicious foreigner slur.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Condiv posted:

Someone's never heard of taqiyya.

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug

Franco Potente posted:

Repost from the US Senate thread:

Maggie Hassan is running for Senate in NH. Bad news for Ayotte.

Bad news for NH. Our democratic governors have been the only thing keeping this state from looking like Wisconsin, Kansas, etc. Hopefully we get a good candidate for governor to replace her and the presidential election helps with turnout.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Honestly, at this point I'm just glad Obama's first response was "this is horrible, we're going to investigate it" rather than "our armed forces are the most moral in the world, this is the Taliban's fault for sure."

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Slickdrac posted:

Yeah, the Stanford Prison Experiment. It's been heavily criticized. Zimbardo went in with the intent to prove that bad environments cause bad behavior, one of the guards admitted to causing strife in order to give the researchers material to work with, most of the guards did not exhibit any cruel or unusual behavior, and the results were based mostly on Zimbardo's anecdotes and can't be replicated.

EDIT: Beaten like a non-compliant prisoner.

Condiv posted:

They didn't radio anyone, they called the embassy. The embassy switchboard in Kabul doesn't have a line to tactical aircraft operating in a ROZ in northern Afghanistan.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Oct 5, 2015

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Condiv posted:

They actually stopped the bombing fairly quickly, when one considers the game of telephone required.

euphronius posted:

I don't understand are you saying they meant to target some other building ? Even the pentagon doesn't say that.

Or they thought there were insergence there, or the Pentagon never got all the info, or the Pentagon gave vague orders, etc

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Condiv posted:

That's what the terrorists want you to think!

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

pathetic little tramp posted:

France rules and every CEO in America should face this sort of consequence for their lovely actions:

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-34445379

If going on strike ever becomes a fire-able offense there is always this option.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I hope someone gets court martialed. A whole bunch of people actually.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Internet Webguy posted:

If going on strike ever becomes a fire-able offense there is always this option.

It is for many employees.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Vauge orders hahah. Yes they meant for them to blow up another hospital. Mistakes were made.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Condiv posted:

I did not hear that they were radioing their identity... Youd need to show me a link to that.

What I did hear was that they had identified their location multiple times previously, which would have put them on the No Strike List I mentioned earlier.

Euphronious... Man we get it, but you're not looking for a rational discussion, you're looking for a kangaroo court

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Urging for the prosecution of explicit war crimes = urging a kangaroo court.

Eschers Basement
Sep 13, 2007

by exmarx

Boon posted:

Euphronious... Man we get it, but you're not looking for a rational discussion, you're looking for a kangaroo court

euphronius posted:

I don't have to think

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Catheter = RPG
Butterfly needle = AK47
IV stand = WMD

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
No, you're not seeking to understand the facts and the how. Youre making assumptions and calling for crucifictions despite not understanding anything more than a hospital was bombed.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

euphronius posted:

Yeah this, along with several years at Leavenworth.

Like, I totally buy the Afghan military being so loving incompetent that they called in an airstrike on a MSF hospital that has been at the same location for a while.

The air crew not confirming the target, or them getting the green light from someone when it was on a "do not loving target this" list is the part that's 100% on the US soldiers.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

euphronius posted:

Part of the problem is that it'll be difficult to say exactly where responsibility lies. The pilots followed the order of someone who should've known better, but that person authorized the bombing after receiving bad (?) information from Afghani soldiers on the ground who said that they were being fired on from the hospital.

Obviously, you review practices after your guys incinerate a hospital and kill a bunch of doctors, but unless someone clearly hosed up in the chain of command, I doubt that anyone will go to prison for it.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Of course the USA would never bomb a hospital. But our perfidious nominal "allies"? Yeah they would totally do that . Of course they feed us bad coordinates. Americans are too good. The Afghan however ....

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

A Winner is Jew posted:

Like, I totally buy the Afghan military being so loving incompetent that they called in an airstrike on a MSF hospital that has been at the same location for a while.

The air crew not confirming the target, or them getting the green light from someone when it was on a "do not loving target this" list is the part that's 100% on the US soldiers.
Who are you going to charge, and with what?

The Do Not Strike list only applies to pre-planned targets, and that doesn't appear to be what happened in this case.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Zeroisanumber posted:

Part of the problem is that it'll be difficult to say exactly where responsibility lies. The pilots followed the order of someone who should've known better, but that person authorized the bombing after receiving bad (?) information from Afghani soldiers on the ground who said that they were being fired on from the hospital.

Obviously, you review practices after your guys incinerate a hospital and kill a bunch of doctors, but unless someone clearly hosed up in the chain of command, I doubt that anyone will go to prison for it.

The person that authorized the bombing should have maybe checked the "don't loving target this" list before giving the green light. Air crew being in the middle is hosed up for them and all, but I really, really loving doubt the Afghani army had full control over what that gunship was targeting.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

A Winner is Jew posted:

I agree with this, but I don't think it's what Euph is saying.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

Several People posted:

Stanford Prison Experiment

Thanks folks. Had only heard a very high level glossing of it in a 10 minute video that didn't point out the fallacies of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

euphronius posted:

Of course the USA would never bomb a hospital. But our perfidious nominal "allies"? Yeah they would totally do that . Of course they feed us bad coordinates. Americans are too good. The Afghan however ....

I'm skeptical of the Afghan excuse, but it's within the realm of possibility. I'm interested in just who it is on the Afghani side that we trust to call down something as vicious and consequential as an airstrike.

A Winner is Jew posted:

...but I really, really loving doubt the Afghani army had full control over what that gunship was targeting.

Yeah. That's the part that I'm really wondering about.

Zeroisanumber fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Oct 5, 2015

• Locked thread