Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
There was much hype for Alchemists before it came out, but many have found that it is an average logic puzzle welded to a below-average euro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

OK then Essen Goons, when/where do you want to meet up? I'm there all 4 days so am good pretty much any time.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Impermanent posted:

There was much hype for Alchemists before it came out, but many have found that it is an average logic puzzle welded to a below-average euro.

I played it once and this is pretty much my impression. The Euro parts are really dull and I felt that it detracted from the puzzle solving, which I enjoyed despite being kinda simple. It was like tacking on a very bland worker placement game on top of a Sudoku puzzle when all you really wanted to do was work on the Sudoku puzzle. Also, if you solve the puzzle too well, other people can just ride on your coattails for points, so there's a very unnecessary "bluffing" aspect as well, which, again, is super dumb.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

And a note, if you record one clue incorrectly and don't notice for another couple rounds, you instantly lose the game and cannot play anymore, which while it was my fault, was still extremely irritating.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

EBag posted:

Alchemists is on sale this week at 401games, anyone have an opinion on it? Looks decent but maybe fiddly and overly long?

It's Cluedo with an app (or a DM if you prefer).

EBag
May 18, 2006

Right yah I think I remember seeing a bunch of these criticisms before, sounds like one to try rather than buy.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!
On a related note, what do people think of Mysterium? It definitely seems like my style of game, but I can't tell after a couple of plays if it has any staying power.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

OmegaGoo posted:

On a related note, what do people think of Mysterium? It definitely seems like my style of game, but I can't tell after a couple of plays if it has any staying power.

People have stopped bringing it here for now but everyone still wants to play it so I expect it'll surge up again in a few weeks. It's a fantastic game on many levels.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Mysterium is a good game undone by a weakly thought out end game

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

quote:

We had fun a few times, then haven't played it again.

Edit: I think playing Codenames with a grid of Dixit cards would be funner than Mysterium or Dixit.

jmzero fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Oct 5, 2015

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Thread for the SPIEL Goonmeet, let's hammer out the details.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!

Tekopo posted:

That's a drat shame.

I might end up buying it anyway, but not anytime soon (unless it's expected to go out of print or is out of print already).

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Has anyone actually played 7 Wonders Duel? I was all hyped up to grab one of the Valley of the Kings boxes (for 2-player only), but decided against it when I learned this was even a thing.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Tekopo posted:

The end game is perfectly fine, and people who've played the Asmodee (which is not me, sadly) have talked about how it helps improve the endgame even more. Which rules were you playing with?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Italian version. I hate that either you gently caress up at the start and then potentially make it impossible to get to the end game or you do well and it is impossible to lose the end game.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Huxley posted:

Has anyone actually played 7 Wonders Duel? I was all hyped up to grab one of the Valley of the Kings boxes (for 2-player only), but decided against it when I learned this was even a thing.

They're all cheap so get both Duel and VotK. $30 for two games. Duel is looking really good.

Vlaada Chvatil
Sep 23, 2014

Bunny bunny moose moose
College Slice

Malloreon posted:

Does Trains add anything else than managing waste? If so that to me doesn't nearly outweigh the blandness that comes from unlimited actions per turn.

If Dominions had unlimited actions per turn it wouldn't be interesting at all.

It also has board positioning, which I quite enjoyed, especially on the 2P maps in Trains: Rising Sun, which places a much greater emphasis on the player's ability to lay train lines and impede their opponent.

As for unlimited actions, I have heard this complaint, but I think it comes down to personal preference. I personally like that by the last turns in a game of Trains that my deck is an insane engine of cataclysmic power, making GBS threads out rails by the dozen or cranking out insane amounts of money to snatch up all the Tower cards. It's different than Dominions for sure, but I've never heard someone I've played Trains with make a negative comparison to Dominions. That being said, people in this thread do seem to consider it a mark against Trains, so it might be worth demoing it someone to make up your mind.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
Is 7 wonders duel out? Looks interesting enough to get

Finally had another preview released for warhammer quest card game from fantasy flight. Seems to combine some traits from the Lord of the rings lcg. I'm still quite excited for the game

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

I've only played Mysterium without the individual scoring rules (i.e., the US version but using the Polish rules). It felt like co-op Dixit. I'd like to try it with the clairvoyance points, which may give it more longevity.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Tiny Chalupa posted:

Is 7 wonders duel out? Looks interesting enough to get

Their website has a countdown on it for ~3 days. I'm not sure how long it takes after that for the game to actually show up in stores.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
Thank you found all the information after I posted didn't have time to edit

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

It's also said there's an Angola game in development. And Cuba Libre has a new expansion pack, too.

Ugh, thought you said Agricola for a sec and was ready to P500 the definitive Animal Farm experience.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
One more knock against Alchemists is that it takes a lot longer to teach than most games, I'm talking 60-90 minutes.

lordsummerisle
Aug 4, 2013

GrandpaPants posted:

I played it once and this is pretty much my impression. The Euro parts are really dull and I felt that it detracted from the puzzle solving, which I enjoyed despite being kinda simple. It was like tacking on a very bland worker placement game on top of a Sudoku puzzle when all you really wanted to do was work on the Sudoku puzzle. Also, if you solve the puzzle too well, other people can just ride on your coattails for points, so there's a very unnecessary "bluffing" aspect as well, which, again, is super dumb.

I don't really get this. Game is a lot of fun, though a bit long. Euro mechanics are just fine, and making them any more fiddly would just make the task of explaining the game harder. The puzzle part is learning the game, after that the bluffing becomes the meat of the game. I don't know why you think this is a dumb part. You need to publish early, so you will need to make claims without enough info.

In other news, I tried Keyflower today and it was really nice. Easy mechanics to teach, but very hard for us to understand what to go for to win.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

lordsummerisle posted:

I don't really get this. Game is a lot of fun, though a bit long. Euro mechanics are just fine, and making them any more fiddly would just make the task of explaining the game harder. The puzzle part is learning the game, after that the bluffing becomes the meat of the game. I don't know why you think this is a dumb part. You need to publish early, so you will need to make claims without enough info.

Because it's a lovely Euro game and a lovely bluffing game tacked onto the part that is the most fun?

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Mega64 posted:

One more knock against Alchemists is that it takes a lot longer to teach than most games, I'm talking 60-90 minutes.

It took me three games to actually get the rules correctly. I actually really enjoyed it when we got the rules right, but I can see how people would consider the learning curve to be too high compared to the actual quality of the game. I wouldn't have gone all three games if my friend wasn't so insistent on pushing it on us.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

lordsummerisle posted:

In other news, I tried Keyflower today and it was really nice. Easy mechanics to teach, but very hard for us to understand what to go for to win.

In Keyflower? Each others' throats, usually.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Figure out who is probably winning and then either punch them in the nads or bid more for the Keythedral.

lordsummerisle
Aug 4, 2013

thespaceinvader posted:

In Keyflower? Each others' throats, usually.

Good point. Game is really mean. All hiding behind a nice exterior. Funny how upset someone can be over you using their spaces and effectively giving them your keyples.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

lordsummerisle posted:

Good point. Game is really mean. All hiding behind a nice exterior. Funny how upset someone can be over you using their spaces and effectively giving them your keyples.

The best part is spending so much time doing a green meeple arms race that a third person runs away with the game. A 40 point Scribes and I still lost.

lordsummerisle
Aug 4, 2013

golden bubble posted:

The best part is spending so much time doing a green meeple arms race that a third person runs away with the game. A 40 point Scribes and I still lost.

Our scores ended up being 62-54 (me)-50-33. Compared to most euros, it felt like the points could be drastically different based on just a few moves in the winter.

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

mm time 2 gargle piss and shit

Bosushi! posted:

The werewolf game your thinking of is Rage and it holds a special place in my heart because it was the first CCG I collected and I love Werewolf: The Apocalypse. The basic premise of the game is that each player controlled a Pack of Werewolves fighting for glory. Players would gather victory points by killing enemies in the Hunting Grounds or even directly killing other players' werewolves. Deck building was fun because you'd choose your pack characters then build a Sept deck based around the characters factions/abilities, then a completely separate Combat deck for fighting.

That being said, the game really needs a ground up rewrite and a very hard look taken at card design. Like Vampire: The Eternal Struggle, Rage was designed to be a multiplayer game but, unlike Vampire, was not designed by Richard Garfield and it shows. Timing rules are basically non-existent and most phases are understood to be played simultaneously. This makes house rules an inevitability as players will attempt to enforce some kind of etiquette with regards to timing. For example, there are unique cards where only one copy is allowed to exist at any time. If two players have this card in hand, it's basically who slaps it down the fastest. The only phase that really has a turn order is the Combat Phase where the Highest Renown Alpha acts first. (Ties broken randomly)

The expansion sets made the game even worse by just adding layers to the game for the sake of making it thematic, gameplay be damned. The first set, The Wyrm, added the Wyrm (antagonist) factions to the game. This would normally be cool, but they had completely different card types that were incompatible with the Gaia (protagonist) factions. For example, the Gaia factions had access to Moot Cards, which were political cards that would generate effects if they passed a vote or not. The Wyrm factions didn't have Moots, they had Board Meetings. Gaia factions couldn't vote in board meetings and Wyrm factions couldn't vote in Moots. Also, Wyrm packs didn't kill "Enemy" cards, they killed "Victims" and it was another Can/Can't interact with and vice versa scenario.

Then came The Umbra expansion, which added the spirit realm. This created a completely separate Hunting Grounds that could only be interacted with by certain characters or with the aid of other cards. When you combine these layers it's very easy to build a deck that's just plain playing a different game from the other players.

There's also the issue of individual card balance, but that can't be addressed until a better core ruleset can be established. The number of card types needs to be boiled down and for the love of god there needs to be a timing structure.

Edit: I'm not kidding. The game basically has Munchkin timing rules. There's tons of other problems with the game I could get into, but it'd be an effort post that I don't have the time for right now.

Thanks for this. I remember the cards were probably the sturdiest ive ever seen in a game, especially in a ccg. I seem to remember mix on two different versions together and I didnt know wtf was going on

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

GrandpaPants posted:

Because it's a lovely Euro game and a lovely bluffing game tacked onto the part that is the most fun?

I haven't yet seen someone publish anything worse than a 50/50 shot, so I have no idea yet if bluffing is viable or not in Alchemists. So far nobody is taking many risks.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

Ohthehugemanatee posted:

I got to play the new Game of Thrones card game a few days ago and man, Fantasy Flight has come a long way from the days of Warhammer Invasion.

It's really tightly designed. The game has a moderately involved strategic layer, a simple political layer and a pretty basic card game at its core and the pieces work together really well. I never played the original so I don't know how much is just left over from the old design, but it's both thematic and fun that you can be getting set up for a curb stomping in the card game and dodge it by out-guessing your opponent at the higher levels. It feels very much like you're scheming at all times.

It's also neat to see how well they manage spite levels in the game because GoT is spiteful as all hell and it could easily make for a nasty game of pummel-the-loser. I'm used to political games like Diplomacy or Conquest of the Empire where the first battle you lose sets off a grim downward spiral but FFG managed to make a game that both feels incredibly spiteful yet never seems to punish anyone past the point of no return. It's hard to explain, but when you're attacking you feel like you're kicking your opponent's teeth in, yet having been on the side of the kickee as well, I just felt like I was trading away pawns in the service of longer term goals. The central card game may be pretty straightforward, but it's well set up to allow hampering rather than destruction.

I was genuinely impressed.

A three player game took about an hour and a half with some fumbling around because no one knew quite what we were doing and the second one was about on par with that so it certainly isn't a short game. I didn't get a chance to play the 2 player version but it loses out on the political aspect of the game which everyone at the table loved, so I'm not sure if it's going to have Netrunner players tossing their cards away to switch over. I think it would be worth looking into for a group of 3-4 though. One core set seemed to offer plenty of gameplay.

Most of this is from the first edition, but the second edition has cleaned up a lot of the rules and generally made it nicer to play. The game is pretty awesome with two players, too, so make sure to give it a try!

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

misguided rage posted:

The excellent Let's Plays led me to order Keyflower, and it showed up today! I'm not sure when I'll actually get to play it, but I've already had a great time putting together all the little houses.

Hooray!

Good luck getting those fuckers neatly back in the box each time, though.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

lordsummerisle posted:

Generally speaking I've found it's best to go heavily for movement tiles. If you can control movement, everyone will be forced to use your village and it's the best way to ensure you have the means to get resources onto VP cards / make use of the Keyflower in winter.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Unmolested purchase and use of the merson-generating tiles can create blowouts when you're playing with new folks, too. The skill tiles can create some massive scores if you dominate them.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
My copy of Tiny Epic Galaxies finally arrived from Kickstarter, I am impressed by the quality of the components and card stock. They managed to fit quite a lot in a small box. Fingers crossed it's actually fun to play!

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

PerniciousKnid posted:

I haven't yet seen someone publish anything worse than a 50/50 shot, so I have no idea yet if bluffing is viable or not in Alchemists. So far nobody is taking many risks.

I've published things that I know for a fact are wrong (so I know I'll be able to debunk them later with no rep loss) just to meet the target number of published theorems for a conference.

Publishing something where you know two of the components but hedge against the unknown one is a fool's game, because 50% of the time you've put the correct information out there for everyone else but you'll get zero points for it in the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

Banana Man posted:

Thanks for this. I remember the cards were probably the sturdiest ive ever seen in a game, especially in a ccg. I seem to remember mix on two different versions together and I didnt know wtf was going on

There indeed was a second version of the game called Rage Across Las Vegas and, admittedly, I never bothered to learn it because it seemed to have come and gone in the middle of the night and I was already well into MtG by then.

I still have a starter deck somewhere. I'll have to gives those rules a glance and see how they improved on the original.