Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah regencies are pretty crippling and you generally have to just kind of suck it up.

I don't know if there's a specific level of relation that guarantees someone will leave a faction, but generally 50+ is good. Bear in mind that if you raise it up that high, they won't always leave the faction right away, so don't keep trying to improve relations if you're already at 70 and they're still in a faction - just give them some time to drop out.

One thing you should get used to in ck2 is fast forwarding in general. It's not a game where stuff is happening every moment - you usually want to set some things up, then just speed 4 or 5 until something important happens and just pause to deal with that before speeding up again. In a war you probably want to slow down a bit but I find speed 3 is usually still fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Thanks, you guys are all super helpful.

I just now discovered the county land holding box to the right of the portrait is a seperate thing from the developed land holdings in the bottom boxes...
(that explains why my Demesne was at 2 instead of 1)
There's so much stuff in this game.

The biggest thing I keep having trouble with interface-wise is that it seems like when you are selecting a character from a list, sometimes you need to right click and sometimes you need to left click and I don't understand why it's not always the same.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Snak posted:

The biggest thing I keep having trouble with interface-wise is that it seems like when you are selecting a character from a list, sometimes you need to right click and sometimes you need to left click and I don't understand why it's not always the same.

Isn't Right-clicking is for the diplomatic menu? I don't recall any exceptions right now. Everything being on the left click was a bit clumsy, so it was changed - before you had to left-click to get to the menu. It doesn't sound much, but it's really noticeable if you go back a few patches on Steam.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Oct 5, 2015

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

All of the lands you control are listed in your list of titles on the character screen, but the only counties you control directly are the ones that you are specifically the count of. Also if you click the "direct vassals" map view, the counties you directly control will be your own color, and they'll show you as the owner if you click on them.

And if worst comes to worst, then you can't go wrong keeping a handy little pile of money on hand to buy some mercs to bail your rear end out of a jam. Just be careful to keep enough money around that you can pay their upkeep, otherwise they'll immediately quit. Although if you've gotten yourself into a religious war, you can call in some holy orders to help you for no upkeep (unless somebody else is currently employing them).

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

SlothfulCobra posted:

Just be careful to keep enough money around that you can pay their upkeep, otherwise they'll immediately quit.

If you're lucky. If you're unlucky they'll attack you and start sieging your poo poo.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
How come when I have a claim on a county, and there is a <Claim> button on the realm panel, it always says "this claim would be denied", despite meeting both of the listed conditions?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah I had a lot of game overs when I was still learning the game because of that. Dismiss your mercs BEFORE you go into the red.

Snak posted:

How come when I have a claim on a county, and there is a <Claim> button on the realm panel, it always says "this claim would be denied", despite meeting both of the listed conditions?

That button is a Sons of Abraham thing - what it means is that you will ask the Pope for a claim on that title. You use it when you WANT a claim, not when you already have one. "This claim would be denied" means either the Pope doesn't like you enough, or likes the current holder too much to grant you a claim.

When you already have a claim, that's when you declare war to actually take the land. You can also use claims to revoke titles from vassals with no tyranny penalty (that specific vassal will still hate you but nobody else will mind).

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Oct 5, 2015

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

What happens when you switch to feudalism and you have a tribal holding that has a castle in the same province? Does the tribal holding become a castle or is it lost?

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Eric the Mauve posted:

If you're lucky. If you're unlucky they'll attack you and start sieging your poo poo.

Can you still vassalize them and hire them for cheap if they hold land?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

StashAugustine posted:

What happens when you switch to feudalism and you have a tribal holding that has a castle in the same province? Does the tribal holding become a castle or is it lost?

It'll become a castle, or just stay a tribal holding until you've built the required chain to upgrade it (you can upgrade it to a castle any time after switching to feudalism). Switching to feudal/republic from tribal never destroys anything - it just fills in the missing building types if you don't already have them.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Foolish boy. You though you could besiege my castle with a measly 500 men after my initial attack failed. I simply waited. I am Sancha The Cruel. They sing songs about the days that I have ridden into battle and returned with a scarlet sword. I raised my levies 1600 strong and crushed you. The Duchy of Leon will be mine again.

...yes I am starting to get into this.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

It's exciting to see you getting into it. I didn't really know what I was doing until I tried a few times.

I did an Irish start with a lot of save scuming and it helped me learn a lot because I could experience failure from ignorance but then go back at it with proper knowledge.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Snak posted:

Foolish boy. You though you could besiege my castle with a measly 500 men after my initial attack failed. I simply waited. I am Sancha The Cruel. They sing songs about the days that I have ridden into battle and returned with a scarlet sword. I raised my levies 1600 strong and crushed you. The Duchy of Leon will be mine again.

...yes I am starting to get into this.

It takes a wihle, but you'll get used to, it. Continue to be a stabby bastard, on the battlefield and in the shadows! The real Crusader Kings Starts Here! :getin:

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Oct 5, 2015

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

It's exciting to see you getting into it. I didn't really know what I was doing until I tried a few times.

I did an Irish start with a lot of save scuming and it helped me learn a lot because I could experience failure from ignorance but then go back at it with proper knowledge.

I don't play Ironman because there are so many mechanics that are completely unintuitive and a number of game-breaking bugs that can screw you over no matter how well you plan (like how you should never accept an invitation to carousing from the AI because it gives you a permanent do_not_disturb flag until your character dies). It's best if you make a bunch of saves and reload when you get screwed over by poo poo you had no way of foreseeing or understanding at the time.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I've got a question of my own.

In my own new game, I started out as the Count of Deheubarth with the intention of Unifying Wales. I've successfully claimed the southern counties of Wales (excluding the Cornwall region) and have claims on two of the northern counties, but not the third. That third county is ruled by a vassal of the Petty King of the North Wales. If I press my current claims and win, will that county go independent (and thus not part of any truce), or will the Petty King of North Wales just seize control of that last county from his vassal?

If it is the former, I think I might want to wait until I get that claim fabricated, I'd prefer to seize Wales in one swoop rather than get stuck waiting out a 10 year truce. At the same time though, my Chancellor's fabrication hotstreak seems to have died out...

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

He'll seize control of the county from his vassal and you won't be able to attack him because of the truce.

Hammy
May 26, 2006
umop apisdn
I haven't played this in a few months, thought I'd try an ironman game.

First game: I'm apparently infertile, my only kid dies of pneumonia, game over.

Second game: I get Great Pox three years in, die childlessly.

Third game: my leader dies almost right away of natural causes, with only a two year old daughter. I quit because gently caress a 14 year regency.

So gently caress it, I'll just play an easy Ireland game. Start as count of Dublin, conquer a couple counties, establish a duchy...and a revolt appears, not just for one of my counties but for the entire kingdom of Ireland. The revolt stack is right next to my capitol with twice my maximum army size and spawns with full morale. My half-rallied mercenaries are instantly slaughtered, I lose all my holdings, game over.

TLDR: ironman is good. Highly recommended.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

McGavin posted:

He'll seize control of the county from his vassal and you won't be able to attack him because of the truce.

Bah. Truces are with individual leaders, right? He might have to have an... accident shortly after the end of that war (or at least after I get that claim).

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Eric the Mauve posted:

If you're Catholic and want to become pagan, the only way I know of is to have your heir educated by a (preferably zealous, preferably gregarious, preferably diligent) pagan. And then hope you die soon because everyone in your court will hate him and vice versa, when he returns a pagan.

In most kingdoms, revocation of heretic/heathen titles is free, so if you feel like the kingdom needs a purgin', you can completely clean out the duke and county titles and replace it with people who like you.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Bah. Truces are with individual leaders, right? He might have to have an... accident shortly after the end of that war (or at least after I get that claim).

Yes, truces are with individual leaders so murdering people you have a truce with ends the truce.

(Of course if you're really unlucky the plot to murder them will take as long as the truce would have but what have you got to lose?)

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
My most successful CK2 game so far involved a 12 year regency after the newly-minted King of Ireland inconveniently died before having any sons.

After 12 years of plotting and scheming, the Queen of Ireland marries some wunderkind Genius german prince and then goes and conquers Scotland. Then 20 years later, finds an opportunity to put her heir on the throne of the HRE.

Then bails him out of the biggest revolt I've ever seen in CK2.

What I'm saying is that a long regency is really just an invitation to put the game on fast-forward and see some longer-term plans coming to fruition. You're kind of missing out if you impulsively quit every time something happens you don't quite want.

Jabor fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Oct 5, 2015

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I have a good ironman game going on as the Abbadid dynasty in Spain at the 1066 start.

Family decadence is 0% across the board, formed a custom kingdom out of w/e 3 duchies I took early on. Got around 20k levies at all times combined between mine and my vassals so I gotta get that CA up. Have 3 provences in northern africa and working on snagging some from Castile, Galacia, and Aragorn who are all pretty measly they are just good with France and the Goddamn HRE.

FIrst Ironman ever and of course the HRE doesn't collapse to Catharism.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Picked up this game again after buying a couple DLC on sale last weekend. Started up the Scandinavian republic, quickly outpaced the other families and founded Pommerania after a long stint in power. Drop out of power, new head of the business decides that I should hand off some trade ports off to him, messing up my monopolies. Second doge after him decides that he's going to be petty and ruin my plans of dominating the DESPICABLE HANSA that appeared under the protection of a giant HRE (:argh:) by stealing a couple more trading posts off the coast of France. So in my pettiness I've been systematically attempting to assassinate all male heirs of each family whenever things get slow.

Also I'm playing with Seduction as a focus and seeing if I can make illegitimate male bastards of their line. It's not working as well as I'd hoped; his recent 'conquests' have ended with up his dumb family line believing they're perfectly happy accidents. Spying hasn't been as much fun, unfortunately.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

A White Guy posted:

In most kingdoms, revocation of heretic/heathen titles is free, so if you feel like the kingdom needs a purgin', you can completely clean out the duke and county titles and replace it with people who like you.

Yes, but what I meant there was, there's an excellent chance your now-pagan heir will be whacked within a few years of returning home, before he can inherit. Plots against the heir to any title are common and if anyone plots against him basically the entire realm will dogpile onto it because "infidel: -----".

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I think starting as Charlemagne might be slightly too easy.

I plan to conquer all of Spain and give it to the Pope.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

FreudianSlippers posted:

I think starting as Charlemagne might be slightly too easy.

I plan to conquer all of Spain and give it to the Pope.

Restore the Roman Empire and its imperial borders.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Meh.

I've done that before and don't really feel like doing it again. I'm even considering splitting the Byzantine empire again once I turn it fully Catholic.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

So, things are going well in my Welsh game. My first song just came of age and is pretty awesome. Shopping around for marriages, I've got a 15 y/o Scottish Princess far down the line of succession I could go for and develop some future claims for Scotland for my line. Alternatively, newly independent England's King has a 12 year old daughter I could try for and only one (younger son). However England is already starting to fracture and I'm unsure if he'll hold onto that power (Though I dunno how claims work in this instance).

Part of me is hesitant to tie myself via alliance to what'll probably be a war-torn England. So I'm leaning towards Scotland. Any advice? I'm not really used to marriage shenanigans, my past (typically short lived, 1-2 generations/~100 years) games have mostly been fabrication conquests (Munster, Apulia)

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.
Quick question for the more seasoned of CK2 vets, since I'm playing in Ironman and don't want to accidentally screw this up.

I'm playing in the 1066 start as the Duke of Provence. I recently won a war with Pisa to assert my De Jure claim on Nice, which I promptly revoked from the Prince-Bishop who held it. I'd like to give it away, but I don't want to make it a Bishopric anymore, but just a regular feudal county. If I hand it over to a feudal lord, will it convert to a county, or will I just stuck with a feudal lord of a bishopric stuck with a wrong holding type penalty (like I currently have?)

Also, since this is really my first time playing as a liege doing the internal politics thing, if I have a strong claim on another lord in the HRE, I can declare on him and only have to deal with him and his allies, right? Meaning the Kaiser himself won't get involved, unless he decides to intervene?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I have another "how does this work" question regarding marriage/inheritance shenanigans.

I just noticed I have an unmarried, childless, depressed middle-aged courtier with a claim on Dublin. If I marry him to a chaste woman in her 40s (unlikely to produce an heir), press his claim, and he dies childless (whether by a plot, time, or suicide) will I inherit Dublin as his liege, or will it go to some distant family member of his? He has no brothers and the only two living members of his family are two cousins in my court (one a bishop, the other a courtier).

If his family inherits, will murdering the non-Bishop cousin solve the issue, since he is childless as well? Though the cousin is matrilinearly married to one of my kinswomen.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

prussian advisor posted:

Quick question for the more seasoned of CK2 vets, since I'm playing in Ironman and don't want to accidentally screw this up.

I'm playing in the 1066 start as the Duke of Provence. I recently won a war with Pisa to assert my De Jure claim on Nice, which I promptly revoked from the Prince-Bishop who held it. I'd like to give it away, but I don't want to make it a Bishopric anymore, but just a regular feudal county. If I hand it over to a feudal lord, will it convert to a county, or will I just stuck with a feudal lord of a bishopric stuck with a wrong holding type penalty (like I currently have?)

iirc, if you personally both hold the capital in the province and the thing you want to be the new capital you just right-click what you want(in this case, a castle) and there should be a 'make new capital' option

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

prussian advisor posted:

Don't take this for gospel, I'm only 96% certain of it, not 100% certain, but: you need to give the county title to someone who holds a barony within the county--that will change the county to feudal. If you hold a barony you can hand it to whomever and then give him the county title. Otherwise you're stuck with whoever is holding it now unless you're willing to eat some tyranny to revoke it from him. After that, you can generate a bishop for the bishopric you're holding and then transfer his vassalage to the newly minted count.

prussian advisor posted:

Also, since this is really my first time playing as a liege doing the internal politics thing, if I have a strong claim on another lord in the HRE, I can declare on him and only have to deal with him and his allies, right? Meaning the Kaiser himself won't get involved, unless he decides to intervene?

Correct. But if crown authority is medium or above you'll find you can't declare on a fellow vassal at all. (This is why when you're the emperor you want crown authority at medium or above; otherwise your dukes can and will conquer each other and become megadukes and there's gently caress-all you can do about it.)

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.
Okay, so this is bizarre. I tried to grant county status to the baron of the castle (Monaco,) only to find out that the baron...is the Doge of Pisa? This is confusing as poo poo, not really sure how to resolve it. I'd go to war with him again over the de jury holding in Nice, but of course I have a truce. Just install a new Prince-Bishop in Nice and make it his problem, maybe? I'd rather not hold the bishopric myself.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Having theocratic vassals really sucks, though. I'd look into having the doge whacked if I were you. Or just try to ride it out if he's old, as doges usually are.

What about the other holding(s) in that county? If a doge is holding the barony he's probably either holding the city or has it vassalized. Sounds like the church may be the only holding in that county you actually hold.

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

Having theocratic vassals really sucks, though. I'd look into having the doge whacked if I were you. Or just try to ride it out if he's old, as doges usually are.

What about the other holding(s) in that county? If a doge is holding the barony he's probably either holding the city or has it vassalized. Sounds like the church may be the only holding in that county you actually hold.

That's exactly the situation. I was hoping I could give the county to my lovely son to take him out of succession/pretenderhood but all it resulted was him getting stuck with a wrong holding type. Whatever, I suppose I'll just wind up going to war with Pisa again in the future and once I have all the claims in the county, I can simply plot to revoke and rearrange it properly.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Never be afraid to just spend all of your money on getting yourself to doge status. At the minimum you have a year of 50+ income to make all your stuff great as to begin the fight again.

Never give up trade posts imo unless there is no way you cant hire at least two merc companies for at least 4 months

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
What am I supposed to do when it gives me a "loss of title on succession" alert. Like, I get it, when I die, my pathetic duchy will be split up among my children. I'm not seeing a way I can do anything about about that...

also, unless i'm missing something, assassination plots are almost worthless. I can spend hundred of gold bribing people to support it, and it stays >100% for years before it finally trickles off and nothing. Of the 5 attempts I've gotten to make, only 1 has succeeded.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Snak posted:

What am I supposed to do when it gives me a "loss of title on succession" alert. Like, I get it, when I die, my pathetic duchy will be split up among my children. I'm not seeing a way I can do anything about about that...

Well, Ultimogeniture and Elective are both usually available once you've reigned 10 years (and I think all your vassals have to have a positive opinion of you to change succession law). But they're designed to suck almost as much as Gavelkind.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Nah, Ultimogeniture is almost more powerful than Primogeniture in my opinion. Instead of your oldest eligible child inheriting, it's your youngest, which should generally mean longer reigns, plus you can divorce/stab your wife/concubines once you have a good heir, pump out a few bastards to legitimize in case of Sudden Good Heir Death Syndrome, and just coast on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Eric the Mauve posted:

Well, Ultimogeniture and Elective are both usually available once you've reigned 10 years (and I think all your vassals have to have a positive opinion of you to change succession law). But they're designed to suck almost as much as Gavelkind.

How do you see the length of your reign? My guy is like 53 now, so it has to be like, 20 years. But I'm a duke, so I can't really do much. My entire dynasty has been devoted to regaining the kingdom of Leon, but holding onto the duchy of Leon is proving difficult enough.

edit: Ultimogeniture is off-limits because Kingdom of Leon does not NOT have the law "Autonomous Vassals"

My weak claim to the Kingdom of Leon dies with me, so the last 90 years have basically been wasted.

Snak fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Oct 6, 2015

• Locked thread