Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

quote:

“I did sacrifice a goat. I know that’s probably a quibble in the mind of most Americans,” he said. “I sacrificed an animal to the god of the wilderness ... Yes, I drank the goat’s blood.”

The AP notes that he drank the blood in order to “give thanks” for a successful week of prayer and fasting in the Mojave Desert, so it’s understandable.

I... uh... well... :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacGowans Teeth
Aug 13, 2003

I know some people who are conservative l(ol)bertarian pagans, so this isn't as surprising as it could be.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Augustus Sol is some real like super villain name

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Dude is a (purestrain) Goldmine:

quote:

To those who believe that this great renunciation is evidence of mental illness rather than the initiation of a spiritual journey: If my example stirs nothing in you, if you can see no further than the confines of what your secular humanism & its hallowed psychiatry allow, then there is nothing I can say to you that would wake you from your slumber. You are less than the beast in man. You are fungi. Would to God that you pass quickly from this Earth.

HEAR YE MY FINAL WORDS IN PEACETIME:

I have prophesied for years that I was born for a Great War; that if I did not witness the coming of the Second American Civil War I would begin it myself. Mark well: That day is fast coming upon you. On the New Moon of May, I shall disappear into the Wilderness. I will return bearing Revolution, or I will not return at all.

War Be unto the Ends of the Earth,

Augustus Sol Invictus
Orlando, Florida, USA
XX Aprilis MMXIII Satvrnvs

this isn't a run for office, it's a loving D&D campaign.

Bonus "Worst Southern Accent Since Kenneth Branagh in Wild Wild West" Clip
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQd5WfmwYMg

McAlister
Nov 3, 2002

by exmarx

Dirk the Average posted:

Someone should tell him that the chemical can be absorbed through the skin.

Someone should tell him they are in cigarettes too.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

"it is peace, not war that kills men..."

I couldn't stop imagining Leonardo DiCaprio's character from Django Unchained speaking the whole time. I was half expecting an phrenology argument thrown in there.

Heck Yes! Loam! fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Oct 5, 2015

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

KomradeX posted:

Augustus Sol is some real like super villain name

The later Roman Emperors pretty much were super villains anyways, so it's fitting at least.

Edit: Well, I guess they weren't all that super, unless being colossally stupid is a super power.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I watched "outfoxed" for the first time.

it's a really bizarre to see it because it almost seems like it's a time capsule for the Bush Administration.

Example? It's unusual to see Bill O'Reilly scream at someone who held the belief that the Reagan/Bush administrations were partially responsible for funding the group that wound up becoming Al Qaeda/The Taliban.

To me that's unusual because even my right leaning, fox news watching father would admit that's very much true.

Also in our current sense? I would have thought you were loving joking when you'd tell me that Bernie Sanders in 2003-2004 would be a legitimate candidate for president in 2016. He appears in this documentary and is very unapologetic about his views on Fox News/GOP. It's a wonder he's not been attacked more by them, but it appears every time he goes on O'Reilly he again, seems to get the better of him in the same way I've seen Kucinich get the better of him.

(in a way that even if you disagree with him? You can't help but respect his honesty, and sincerely held beliefs).

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

I'm not sure which is worse: media landscape immediately post-9/11, or the media landscape now. Either way we haven't come very far.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

beatlegs posted:

I'm not sure which is worse: media landscape immediately post-9/11, or the media landscape now. Either way we haven't come very far.

It was the media landscape between 9/11 and shortly into the Iraq war. At least now there are alternatives to insane jingoistic outlets that aren't completely infested with 'bush did 9/11' shitheads.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea I don't know how it's even a question. Post 9/11/during 'Shock and Awe' it was either the worst criticism the war and agenda got was 'well this is probably the right thing to do but can't we agree war in general is kinda a bummer' or 'BUSH AND THE JEWS DID 9/11'

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

CommieGIR posted:

Now picture this with the speaker unironically puffing a cigarette.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

How do you ironically puff a cigarette?

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Yea I don't know how it's even a question. Post 9/11/during 'Shock and Awe' it was either the worst criticism the war and agenda got was 'well this is probably the right thing to do but can't we agree war in general is kinda a bummer' or 'BUSH AND THE JEWS DID 9/11'

It just feels like even though progressives do have a small voice now, it's continually pushed to the margins or called into question, or immediately, reflexively "balanced" with a far-right argument. It seems like the MSM is even more corrupted by corporate interests than it was 14 years ago.

Baudolino
Apr 1, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Samuel Clemens posted:

How do you ironically puff a cigarette?

By not inhaling?

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Christ if you could imagine an emaciated looking Dale with a bushy mustache that would be my Uncle. He used to be in really good shape, but he had an accident at his work (fell off a ladder) and broke his leg. He was a recreational pot smoker and the job was Union. He was drug tested, the test came up positive and he was denied workers comp and was fired. Ever since then he's been bouncing from job to job, progressively taking worse and worse care of himself and going further down the right wing conspiracy hole.

It's really sad because he used to be one of the "cool" Uncles and now he's the Uncle that nobody can stand :(

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Nah. It's not Dungeons and Dragons he's channeling. "War be unto the ends of the Earth" sounds like something straight out of Warhammer 40K.

Like, I can't even remember a historical leader saying something phrased so ridiculously over the top and bloodthirsty. What with the blood drinking i'd bet the dude's secretly a worshiper of Khorne.

Edit: Shame too. There's more comedy to be had there. There's a bunch of grognards out there that'd probably vote for a guy that put forward a "A skull for every house, an axe for every hand!" campaign speech. Hell, some average joes would too given the comments you can see below your average news article. :stare:

Archonex fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Oct 5, 2015

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread

Archonex posted:

Nah. It's not Dungeons and Dragons he's channeling. "War be unto the ends of the Earth" sounds like something straight out of Warhammer 40K.

Like, I can't even remember a historical leader saying something phrased so ridiculously over the top and bloodthirsty. What with the blood drinking i'd bet the dude's secretly a worshiper of Khorne.

Edit: Shame too. There's more comedy to be had there. There's a bunch of grognards out there that'd probably vote for a guy that put forward a "A skull for every house, an axe for every hand!" campaign speech. Hell, some average joes would too given the comments you can see below your average news article. :stare:

Some understated version of "Blood for the blood god" would fit in that speech rather well.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

SalTheBard posted:

Christ if you could imagine an emaciated looking Dale with a bushy mustache that would be my Uncle. He used to be in really good shape, but he had an accident at his work (fell off a ladder) and broke his leg. He was a recreational pot smoker and the job was Union. He was drug tested, the test came up positive and he was denied workers comp and was fired. Ever since then he's been bouncing from job to job, progressively taking worse and worse care of himself and going further down the right wing conspiracy hole.

It's really sad because he used to be one of the "cool" Uncles and now he's the Uncle that nobody can stand :(

That's what he wants you to think.

Serious question though. What did he test positive for?

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

SalTheBard posted:

He was a recreational pot smoker and the job was Union. He was drug tested, the test came up positive and he was denied workers comp and was fired.

Pot

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

I do declare! :faint:

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Samuel Clemens posted:

I'm not surprised that someone named Dr. Faustus would support Mephistopheles.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Did anyone else catch the poo poo Fox is pulling with the Dunkin Donuts and the police?

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Chimera-gui posted:

Did anyone else catch the poo poo Fox is pulling with the Dunkin Donuts and the police?

Link?

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

http://foxct.com/2015/10/03/west-hartford-dunkin-donuts-worker-tells-police-officer-we-dont-serve-cops/

Dumb employee says dumb thing and officer is treated like royalty. Outrageous!

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

beatlegs posted:

http://foxct.com/2015/10/03/west-hartford-dunkin-donuts-worker-tells-police-officer-we-dont-serve-cops/

Dumb employee says dumb thing and officer is treated like royalty. Outrageous!

imo this is worse: http://foxct.com/2015/08/15/pistol-whipped-cop-hesitated-to-shoot-says-he-didnt-want-to-be-a-headline/

quote:

“A lot of officers are being too cautious because of what’s going on in the media,” said the officer, who asked to remain anonymous for the safety of his family. “I hesitated because I didn’t want to be in the media like I am right now.”

Details of last week’s incident in the Birmingham enclave of Roebuck remain sketchy — such as how did the suspect get the officer’s weapon — but the six-year police veteran said he didn’t shoot the man who attacked him during a traffic stop because of the outcry surrounding a spate of police shootings nationally.

“We don’t want to be in the media,” he said. “It’s hard times right now for us.”...

“The nobility and integrity of policing has been challenged,” Roper said. “As a profession, we have allowed popular culture to draft a narrative which is contrary to the amazing work that so many officers are doing everyday across this nation.”

I'd rather a person get thumped in the head than get shot, so this turned out better than it could have.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Do you guys think the crazies are doing a good job into scaring people away from ever voting GOP again?

There's nothing like the local talk station and hearing about how America is apparently "DOOMED" if we elect Hillary because reasons. (A CENTRIST DEMOCRAT!? OH THE HORROR!). Then some jackass calling up still believing that FEMA death camps are real, that the UN is going to take over the country ala the mini-series AMERIKA.

Meanwhile I guess ignore Bernie Sanders the entire time because I don't know?

Like it's Art Bell-level poo poo but not near as fun or entertaining.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

Sharkie posted:

I'd rather a person get thumped in the head than get shot, so this turned out better than it could have.

Yeah, this is a good thing that is happening. I don't lust for cop death but a guy didn't die in a situation where I feel he most certainly would have died, good news.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
If I kill someone in the course of my duties I could face scrutiny :qq:!

You can't make me wear a camera, my rights!

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013

FuzzySkinner posted:

Meanwhile I guess ignore Bernie Sanders the entire time because I don't know?

I don't know if this is a Right-Wing Media question or a Corporate Media question, but has the entire election coverage so far in the Right-Wing/Elite Media just completely ignored the existence of Sanders or what?

I mean... I wouldn't put it past them, but I'm curious. Sanders very likely holds views and opinions that most of the GOP would find absolutely horrifying, but the reaction for him has been muted. Is that for reasons that he's too nonthreatening to them (on a racial, misogynist, or bigotry level) or is it because they literally have no information about him due to corporate censorship?

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
I think he occasionally gets brought up in the hope that it'll prove that the left is just as fragmented and factional as the right, but nothing about his politics. :shrug:

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Morroque posted:

I don't know if this is a Right-Wing Media question or a Corporate Media question, but has the entire election coverage so far in the Right-Wing/Elite Media just completely ignored the existence of Sanders or what?

I mean... I wouldn't put it past them, but I'm curious. Sanders very likely holds views and opinions that most of the GOP would find absolutely horrifying, but the reaction for him has been muted. Is that for reasons that he's too nonthreatening to them (on a racial, misogynist, or bigotry level) or is it because they literally have no information about him due to corporate censorship?

Right-wing people mostly see it as proof that Hillary is such a lovely candidate that someone like Bernie Sanders is polling well, with observers mostly waiting for Biden to come in and take charge of the Democratic Party to have an electable, competitive candidate.

The GOP doesn't find Bernie Sanders horrifying, they strawman the Democratic party as Marxists all the time, so Bernie fits right into the narrative. He's even been on the O'Reilly Factor and I was happy to see Bill O'Reilly bust Bernie Sanders' balls about the out of control heroin epidemic in Vermont, which the mainstream media has neglected to talk about for some reason.

Smoothrich fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Oct 6, 2015

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Keeshhound posted:

I think he occasionally gets brought up in the hope that it'll prove that the left is just as fragmented and factional as the right, but nothing about his politics. :shrug:

Bingo. See example here: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015/09/30/nea-imminent-endorsement-hillary-clinton-prompts-widespread-pushback-among/

If something changes to make him a serious threat to Clinton expect the shrieking from the talking heads to shatter glass.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Morroque posted:

He gets brought up approvingly because they hope that Sanders can hurt Hillary from the left.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Sharkie posted:

imo this is worse: http://foxct.com/2015/08/15/pistol-whipped-cop-hesitated-to-shoot-says-he-didnt-want-to-be-a-headline/

Is he outright admitting that he didn't shoot a person solely because he may face scrutiny?

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Keeshhound posted:

But it doesn't feel that way to be honest.

He's not taken any swipes at Hillary, nor has he said he'd run 3rd party if Hillary winds up winning the nomination. About the only thing he's really done has made Hillary campaign a tad bit more to the left than she has in the past.

Like even on the left wing talk radio the end of the conversations between say Stephanie Miller (Hillary supporter) and a Bernie supporter generally end with "Well, I prefer my candidate, but I will vote for whomever is on our ticket". Same on the flipside with a guy like Thom Hartman.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

It was some stupid poo poo involving someone writing "Black Lives Matter" on a cop's cup, I only heard the bitching in passing and did not intend to stick around to actually watch it.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

FuzzySkinner posted:

But it doesn't feel that way to be honest.

He's not taken any swipes at Hillary, nor has he said he'd run 3rd party if Hillary winds up winning the nomination. About the only thing he's really done has made Hillary campaign a tad bit more to the left than she has in the past.

Like even on the left wing talk radio the end of the conversations between say Stephanie Miller (Hillary supporter) and a Bernie supporter generally end with "Well, I prefer my candidate, but I will vote for whomever is on our ticket". Same on the flipside with a guy like Thom Hartman.

I did say that they hoped it would prove that the left is fragmented. The right still has some 15 odd prospective candidates, none of whom are real frontrunners and they're desperate to present the left as being in similar straits or risk appearing weak to independents.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Morroque posted:

I think it's a combination of "doesn't fit the narrative" and "corporate media." My suspicion is that everyone in the "privilege bubble" can't [i]conceive[/i[ of an America where a self-admitted socialist is a viable candidate for the Presidency, because they have no conception of the level of populist rage and anger that everyone who isn't upper class, or is young and unemployed, or is a non-white, is experiencing. They also can't conceive of Trump as a viable candidate for the same reasons, but he's got a genius for self-promotion that Bernie lacks, and he also fits the "Republicans are the Racist Party" narrative so they know how to report on his shock comments.

I'd apply that analysis to both left and right wing media coverage of Bernie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

The other problem with giving too much focus on Sanders from the RWM perspective is that they've spent so long building up these massive Socialist strawmen that once an actual socialist comes along with a serious politics that can appeal to the white working class, they have no way to engage him. Once you get people starting to ask "why shouldn't I get Medicare before I'm 65?" you're getting dangerously far from their narrative.