Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Drunk dialing is now a crime in the GF controlled US and we will be forced to turn you in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

KoRMaK posted:

Huh?????

It's just a lil early, is all..

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

KoRMaK posted:

Huh?????

It's 11AM to 2PM in the continental US, broh. Little early for being sauced broh.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Oh hahaha. No i mean later, Like.... im just going to call in and rant on there. Like a lunatic on a conservative talk radio show at 11pm at night.

e: ALSO, also, what if I work the night shift and right now is my evening? You don't know me.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

KoRMaK posted:

You don't know me.

Then let me get to know you, dammit!

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

KoRMaK posted:

Oh hahaha. No i mean later, Like.... im just going to call in and rant on there. Like a lunatic on a conservative talk radio show at 11pm at night.

e: ALSO, also, what if I work the night shift and right now is my evening? You don't know me.

Have you ever been drunk at noon? poo poo sucks no matter what your schedule is.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Best part, unrelated to the plot?
The screaming sun. Holy hell, I can't stop giggling.

As for the cliffhanger: Joke's on us, the show has already been cancelled.

WUBALUBADUBDUB!

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
You son of a bitch, I had to google that real quick to see if you were fuckin with us

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013
I hope Evil Morty breaks Rick out of prison

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

hoobajoo posted:

Have you ever been drunk at noon? poo poo sucks no matter what your schedule is.

Day drinking is a totally reasonable american pastime.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Season 3 premiere is just going to be a new adventure and they're going to pretend the cliffhanger never happened.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Jerry's new ad campaign: Hungry For Antidepressants?

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

See? Science proves the JewsMuslims are inferior and must be purged! I'm not a racist, honest!

MariusLecter posted:

That was in the first episode this season. :)

I don't remember that

Jo Joestar
Oct 24, 2013
Jerry is going to get a new job advertising the benefits of life in the Galactic Federation. By the time the season hits the halfway point, Earth will be in open rebellion and the Federation will be well on its way to a civil war.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7c-hiuqSxu8

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I WANT it to be exactly where we time skip and we get 23 yr old super science cyborg Morty sieving the galactic federal prison, but what we're actually going to get us regular Morty and Evil Morty meeting up to break Rick out, but then we'll discover something about Rick (maybe even the precipitating catalyst for evil Morty) and our Morty will be wonder if it was all really worth it.

I also expect Jerry to relentless excel in new earth and become kind of a bad guy for S3. Also we're definitely meeting Beth's mom next year.

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"There is no God! Right, Mama?"

"True."

We need someone to make a multi-dimensional timeline of what dimensions all of the cast has been in the entire season, terminator style, stat.

I want Rick's wife to be the head of the Galactic Federation so bad.

graham cracker fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Oct 5, 2015

Blackula Vs. Tarantula
Jul 6, 2005

😤I am NOT Captain_Redbeard🧔

Guy A. Person posted:

The answer is that it is more interesting this way.

(if you need a logical in-universe answer: the portal gun probably requires those interdimensional crystals and possibly other parts that are super rare and possibly only on planets in federation jurisdiction. The difference is then that his family might be on the run/in danger/miserable for several years while he reconstructs it rather than being safe back on Earth in under a week)

My in universe answer is that Rick wants to be imprisoned. Having spent season two opening up and connecting with his grandchildren, he decides in the finale to never let his guard down again. Having recommitted himself to his psychic prison, he decides that he can't be a part of the family, and they would be better off living on earth without him. He's abandoned his family again, he can tell himself he's doing the right thing, making a noble sacrifice, when he is actually just doing what is easy and familiar to him.
And they probably are better off without him. The Cronenberg universe Smiths were thriving without Rick and Morty, even in their hosed up hell dimension.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Steve Yun posted:

Season 3 premiere is just going to be a new adventure and they're going to pretend the cliffhanger never happened.

Probably, or they'll resolve it in the first minute. It's funny to see reactions to dramatic plotlines on this show. I'm not criticizing or saying it's bad or anything because I enjoy it a lot, but I know the stakes are never really high because they've created a world where New Ridiculous Thing can get them out of trouble at any moment and nobody on the show is the "original" character, not even the titular ones. It's like whenever a character died in Aqua Teen Hunger Force, you know Frylock had a cloner. To me, it's funny when they put in high-stakes plotlines because of that, not sad or dramatic. Using arguably NIN's angstiest song as a soundtrack just highlights that it's not meant to be taken seriously, and the epilogue of "How are they gonna get out of this mess!? Hoo-wee!" clinches that. It's a goofy-rear end 4th wall breaking deus ex machina show and I love it for that.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

That screaming sun made me laugh more than it should've. Did anyone else think Rick's going to kill himself after he heard the family arguing about what they were going to do as fugitives?

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

The ep is even sadder upon rewatch..the first time Morty gives his schpiel to Rick at the bar you're totally on his side. Second time through you know Rick's right, and it sucks.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

FireWorksWell posted:

That screaming sun made me laugh more than it should've. Did anyone else think Rick's going to kill himself after he heard the family arguing about what they were going to do as fugitives?

Nah, he already tried that before. He was doing the whole "I'm going out for cigarettesicecream" was a big clue to him just abandoning them. Even Morty saw it coming.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Steve Yun posted:

This is exactly what I thought as soon as the stinger started. They'll make a big deal about finding out what happens after this episode, but then the next season will start with Rick out and having breakfast with the family on a non-federation controlled Earth and never mention it again.

Or do it offscreen, Coach Feratu style.

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Season 3 is where rick and morty stop making fun of cliche sci-fi shows, and become one.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

MariusLecter posted:

Nah, he already tried that before. He was doing the whole "I'm going out for cigarettesicecream" was a big clue to him just abandoning them. Even Morty saw it coming.

Well, his 'leaving for ice cream' would have the same end result either way, they wouldn't see him again.

Typical
Mar 19, 2007

what were the funny parts of the episode for you guys. I actually didn't find this episode very humorous until seeing the final cut. When I was working on it. it just felt weirdly out of place. like. "this seems too real for rick and morty" . or not in "cannon or something. seeing the final cut made all the difference. Now I really liked it. especially squanchy.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Welp, I was reading the wiki to see if I had missed any interesting voice actors in guest roles and saw that Sarah Chalke voices Beth. I never realised.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Typical posted:

what were the funny parts of the episode for you guys. I actually didn't find this episode very humorous until seeing the final cut. When I was working on it. it just felt weirdly out of place. like. "this seems too real for rick and morty" . or not in "cannon or something. seeing the final cut made all the difference. Now I really liked it. especially squanchy.

For me the hilarity really began once Tammy turned into a double agent and Bird Person got gut shot. That one ridiculous action set the tone for the subsequent parts which, while heavy, were kind of rendered lighter in a way because the take-home message is that Rick is right about marriage.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Typical posted:

"No, stay here..delivery flaps"
"STAYING!"

The bit about squanchy culture being more contextual.

Jerry being a dick about the wedding, pretty much every line from him at the wedding.

"Mhm. I have a lot of Vodka." and related lines, the bartender's voice owned.

The bird culture vows, the swerve with Tammy (her delivery was excellent), the gag with the planets-

The thing that probably got the biggest laugh out of me was Rick's final line when he was turning himself in as Jerry, and the guy's "uh, ok" on the other end.

Lots of funny stuff, I loved it!!

Trash Trick fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Oct 5, 2015

JD
Jan 11, 2003

Typical posted:

I lost it when Squancy ditched the Rick's BFF bracelet during Rick's toast

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

Typical posted:

their escape ship flying into the tiny planet. thats a good sight gag.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
I laughed hardest about Jerry saying that he was transported against his will "by a meatball" and telling Beth to take her attitude to the men's section of k-mart and cut him some slack...sss.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Everything a cop said.

Morty playing frisbee with himself.

Squanchy taking off his "Rick's BFF" bracelet during Rick's speech.

Rick's note with notes on trailing off and ad libbing (honestly a lot of visual gags got me this ep when I usually like the quotes).

Jerry's drinking contest with Squanchy: "squanch this, mofo"

The courier thing interpreting Rick's "what do you know about friendship Jerry" as "ship Jerry"

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

oh the entire Mr. Poopy Butthole stinger

Typical
Mar 19, 2007

Taeke posted:

Welp, I was reading the wiki to see if I had missed any interesting voice actors in guest roles and saw that Sarah Chalke voices Beth. I never realised.

oh yeah, I saw her at the party last night. she comes around the office sometimes. I've never talked to her though. Im not sure what to say besides. Oh hey your Elliot right ? Do you really like wine that much? I draw all your wine glasses. Which I'm sure she would not really have a response to.

Dieting Hippo posted:

their escape ship flying into the tiny planet. thats a good sight gag.

that was so weird and funny. I had no idea how they were going to pull off that scale. This is why I love cartoons.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Typical posted:

All the planet jokes. But my favorite moment really was Rick's call. Because you have this fantastic moment for the character that is pretty hard hitting...and then he throws in these lines about licking buttholes and balls and it doesn't under cut it one bit. That's what works. That's why this show is good.

Honestly, I kept saying it was like Invader Zim, and maybe it was, but now I'm thinking it's more like Eastbound and Down. Which is a masterpiece.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Typical posted:

Screaming sun planet
Abandoning the cob planet for no reason other than "Cobs!!!!"
Gags about how tiny tiny plane was
Beth talking past what Birdperson was saying despite that being exactly the kind of thing she wanted to know more about

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Typical posted:

It wasn't very humorous but the best episodes this season weren't humorous, this episode and the one with ricks ex were the best.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
The cob-based planet bit keeps making me laugh for some stupid reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

All of the stuff with the different planets was great. Seeing the little interactions at the party and Rick kind of having a moment where he's like "yeah, my family can be a part of this side of my life" right before everything went to poo poo was really nice too. The episode as a whole was really well balanced between the humor and the story stuff. It never felt too serious, but the stakes felt real enough even when jokes were going on.

I think yall nailed this season finale, so tell all the other people that they're good at making things.

Sea Lily fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Oct 5, 2015

• Locked thread