Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Krinkle posted:

Holy poo poo. "Well, this place is over. Time to hit the road and never look back."
To that cat, that mylar balloon is still there. It didn't slowly lose its pressure and get tossed in the garbage. Every time it's out there hungry in the rain "better than in that haunted house. gently caress that place"

Pretty much this.

And this was a cat that would jump off the balcony to a lower roof to stalk a goose. Otherwise fearless but had some brain defect that made balloons the devil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Probably something to do with a fear of flying predators or some poo poo

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.

Taeke posted:

in Dutch, so the title was different, Engelieren instead of Langoliers

English-to-Dutch translations never seem to make sense or are anywhere near what the author was trying to convey. Thank god, it has fallen out of fashion among tv-shows and movies.

I.C.
Jun 10, 2008

This is still cracking me up.

(He's such a sour pickle sometimes!)

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop
I follow several indie filmmaking in Chicago Facebook groups, and someone posts a poster/promo materials like this every single day:

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Dienes posted:

I thought the story was he was so hosed up on drugs he didn't remember writing the book Cujo.

It's both. Cujo he doesn't remember writing at all because he was drunk throughout it, though he's said he has read the book and liked it so it's a shame he doesn't remember any of it. Maximum Overdrive he was drinking and coked out of his skull and had no idea how to make a movie.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I.C. posted:

This is still cracking me up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pneqbLj48A

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

syscall girl posted:

Pretty much this.

And this was a cat that would jump off the balcony to a lower roof to stalk a goose. Otherwise fearless but had some brain defect that made balloons the devil.

Nitrox posted:

Probably something to do with a fear of flying predators or some poo poo

To an animal anything that moves by itself without legs or wings or eyes or a mouth might as well be some kind of eldritch horror. My bird is terrified of a purple yoga ball and I don't know if it's because it's messed up center of gravity causes it to wobble forever or because nothing in nature should be that huge and purple.

You know a balloon is a nothing wrapped around a fragile skin, an animal doesn't. Imagine a malevolent hovering bowling ball that just followed you around and was constantly threatening to cave your skull in.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Reminds me of this one,

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Angela Christine posted:

Reminds me of this one,

Yeah that's some True Detective poo poo to cats.

E: Mew Detective

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

IndustrialApe posted:

English-to-Dutch translations never seem to make sense or are anywhere near what the author was trying to convey. Thank god, it has fallen out of fashion among tv-shows and movies.

Langoliers to Engelieren is sort of forgivable, albeit unnecessary, giving it a slightly more divine/damned connotation without making it overtly religious, but generally speaking I completely agree. I'm in the translation game myself now after being a secondary school English teacher (vmbo/havo) and after that studying English on a university level, and good god is the quality horrendous. I'm glad we're sort of moving away from dubbing in the last couple of years. They seemed to have realised that ever since we started doing that in earnest over a decade ago the level of English in kids has been suffering, but even subtitles are often just bad.

As for novels and such, if you do need to read a Dutch translation my advice is to wait a couple of years. The first translations are usually poorly done because of the time constraints but they do get better in later editions. Maybe that's just my experience though. Speaking of King translations, 11/22/63 is one of the last novels I actually read in Dutch a couple of years ago. A friend gave it to me and I had a summer job with loads of downtime and my god, was it bad. I mean, I loved the story itself despite its flaws but literally every other sentence was translated awkwardly in such a way that I genuinely couldn't help but reverse-translate it to the original English, realising that it wasn't actually written as poorly as it seemed in Dutch. Often it felt little better than a semi-corrected google translate.

I was looking for a funny picture related King or the Langoliers but all I got was a meme telling me Pacman was the first Langolier, so this'll have to do. I would love to have this rock though and perk it on top of my Four Past Midnight copy.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
The only thing my stupid cat seems to be afraid of is the music of Tom Waits. I don't know if it's his voice or the percussion or what, but he'll wake up out of a sound sleep and leave the room if the man comes up on shuffle.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Angela Christine posted:

Reminds me of this one,

Eyes Wide Shut really was Kubrick's worst film.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

I.C. posted:

He's a Cubs fan. Cut him some slack.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Crow Jane posted:

The only thing my stupid cat seems to be afraid of is the music of Tom Waits. I don't know if it's his voice or the percussion or what, but he'll wake up out of a sound sleep and leave the room if the man comes up on shuffle.

I had a dog that hated "Love my way" by the Psychedelic Furs. When MTV would play the video he'd go apeshit barking at the TV.

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

davebo posted:

Bronson Pinchot in a made for tv movie? How did that go wrong? I like when mean pacman ate the airport.

Fun fact: I grew up in Maine, and that was filmed at Bangor International Airport. My mom worked at the town hall in the dinky little hamlet we lived in, and the day after that aired, the phone rang off the goddamn hook with people FREAKING RIGHT STRAIGHT THE gently caress OUT about OH LORDY LOU WHAT ARE WE GONNA DO NOW what do you mean sir I SAW IT LAST NIGHT ON THE TEE-VEE THEM MONSTERS DONE ATE UP THE AIRPORT sir that was a movie NO I SAW IT ON THE TEE VEE THEY ATE UP THE AIRPORT HOW WE GONNA GET PLACES NOW movies aren't real, sir WHAT IF THEY COME FOR US it was just a pretend story, sir, that didn't really happen I BET IT'S THEM COMMIES AFTER US AGAIN sir i promise you the langoliers are not communists WELL WHAT ELSE COULD IT BE THEN it is a movie. it is not real. it was a story. NO I SAW IT MYSELF ON THE TEE-VEE

Apparently similar phone calls happened at many, many other town halls in Maine. There's a reason people call Downeast Maine the deep deep south of the far far north.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

DrVenkman posted:

It's both. Cujo he doesn't remember writing at all because he was drunk throughout it, though he's said he has read the book and liked it so it's a shame he doesn't remember any of it. Maximum Overdrive he was drinking and coked out of his skull and had no idea how to make a movie.

It must be really weird to read someone you wrote but don't remember.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

No way that dog is real, it is the size of your average horse

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Yeah that's fake as hell. The Guinness holder for world's largest dog is massive, but nowhere near that big:

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
Human small

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

mind the walrus posted:

Yeah that's fake as hell. The Guinness holder for world's largest dog is massive, but nowhere near that big:

That's not nice to say about the lady on the right

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Angela Christine posted:

Reminds me of this one,

Corey looks a lot cuter in real life.

Merry Deciever
Aug 20, 2015
Pillbug

BOGO LOAD
Jul 1, 2004

"You know I always had trouble really chewing the fat with my pops. Just listen to him..."
Certainly explains Chris Hemsworth's scene in Vacation.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

china bot posted:

I follow several indie filmmaking in Chicago Facebook groups, and someone posts a poster/promo materials like this every single day:

Yeah, rip.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

:airquote: Subtext :airquote:

PaulBearer
Jul 23, 2013

Parrotine posted:

No way that dog is real, it is the size of your average horse
Looks like it's in some kind of art gallery, so a sculpture.

I also heard this isn't an official Super Mario Bros. Movie:

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

No wonder nerds get angry that Jane is Thor now.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

Taeke posted:

As for novels and such, if you do need to read a Dutch translation my advice is to wait a couple of years. The first translations are usually poorly done because of the time constraints but they do get better in later editions. Maybe that's just my experience though.

No you're right, as a former public librarian I've been subject to horrible translations of English novels on a daily basis.
There's a lot of money to be made with going "eh, good enough" when you're translating dime-a-dozen thrillers and romance novels.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

mind the walrus posted:

What a loving celebration of diversity.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Taeke posted:

Langoliers to Engelieren is sort of forgivable, albeit unnecessary, giving it a slightly more divine/damned connotation without making it overtly religious, but generally speaking I completely agree. I'm in the translation game myself now after being a secondary school English teacher (vmbo/havo) and after that studying English on a university level, and good god is the quality horrendous. I'm glad we're sort of moving away from dubbing in the last couple of years. They seemed to have realised that ever since we started doing that in earnest over a decade ago the level of English in kids has been suffering, but even subtitles are often just bad.

I used to watch The Wire on 13th Street (theme channel broadcasting just crime shows) and it was hilarious how bad the subs were with some of the slang used in that show. At one point it translated "knockos" as junkies which is like the polar opposite.

I used to pick up a lot of English from subbed cartoons which is why I find it disappointing that they've actually started to walk away from subs in the past 15 years. They've actually gone back and dubbed shows that used to be subbed before... like Life with Louie*. There's also all those live-action Disney shows that feel even faker than they already are with dubs.

*Was that show even popular enough to spend money on a dub?

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Taeke posted:

I was looking for a funny picture related King or the Langoliers but all I got was a meme telling me Pacman was the first Langolier, so this'll have to do. I would love to have this rock though and perk it on top of my Four Past Midnight copy.

I feel like that looks more like a real life Chain Chomp.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

Mierenneuker posted:

I used to pick up a lot of English from subbed cartoons which is why I find it disappointing that they've actually started to walk away from subs in the past 15 years. They've actually gone back and dubbed shows that used to be subbed before... like Life with Louie*. There's also all those live-action Disney shows that feel even faker than they already are with dubs.

Fox Kids/Jetix had oodles of money to spend, so they dubbed everything. Disney then came in and continued the practice. Nickelodeon/Nick and Cartoon Network are both dubbing their shows for quite some time now.
Lazy Dubbing is even worse than lazy subbing: The literal translations of expressions and word play, jokes falling flat because and the laugh track now missing the joke by a mile. The sound levels are usually way off as well.

It's me, having a dubs vs. subs discussion in the funny pictures thread.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Back when Sweden started importing foreign TV and movies it was considered too expensive to dub most things, so we went with subtitles (and thankfully still do, don't know about kids' cartoons though). This is an oft-quoted reason for Swedes being pretty good at English.

Anyway here's a funny picture.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

People that give animal's people names are the worst.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Solice Kirsk posted:

People that give animal's people names are the worst.

I have a different opinion about the worst people and it involves apostrophes.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Trent posted:

I have a different opinion about the worst people and it involves apostrophes.

You hate people in Star Wars/Trek?

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Mierenneuker posted:

I've seen it dubbed in Greek, so probably.

Then again I've also seen Twipsy, Fantomette, and Cyrano 2022 dubbed in Greek so who the hell knows. All except Cyrano were on the channel that later became Fox Kids (it was on subscription TV), so it COULD have been a network thing, with the providers of the shows also paying for the dubbing. Or maybe the channel just made that much money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Trent posted:

I have a different opinion about the worst people and it involves apostrophe's.

• Locked thread