Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

I still have no idea what all of the acronyms mean and what half of the MMO slang means. Is there a guide anywhere for this stuff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daniel
Jan 30, 2004

Dignified.
This might help

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Talran posted:

Eh, I'll bitch about the first part of whatever comes out first in 4.0 too about not being as good as The Crown of the Daddy or what have you that we'll get soon.

Forehead of the Father. :colbert:

Mymla posted:

Alex is Good by any metric, y'all are just spoiled by coil.

Yep. I really should do all of the coil sometime. :v:

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Solefald posted:

I still have no idea what all of the acronyms mean and what half of the MMO slang means. Is there a guide anywhere for this stuff?

Yeah. http://ffxiv.consolegameswiki.com/wiki/Acronyms

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Daniel posted:

This might help

DYWABT - do you want a bad time?

FaintlyQuaint
Aug 19, 2011

The king and his men.
Grimey Drawer

Unguided posted:

do you want a bone time, surely

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Solefald posted:

This is a cool game for cool teenz, smell ya later grampz.

Vaguido
Feb 22, 2011

When the drug test comes back positive for performance enhancing drugs.

Unguided posted:

Sick ref

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

It feels good not to have to get eso anymore.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

nuru posted:

Compare Nael to Savage, not Normal.

Normal Nael is harder than A1S and A2S :colbert:

Daniel posted:

This might help

Curious to see what they say DCFADP stands for.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I think Alexander would be more memorable if it wasn't broken up by turns.

I get why that structure exists. Compared to how WoW does raids (my only basis of comparison), it's really easy to focus on making forward progress and you never have to keep doing poo poo that you've mastered weeks ago. But I remember a few weeks ago talking to some other goons in DGKK about how Ulduar and Karazhan were our favorite raiding memories from WoW, and I tried to imagine both places represented in FFXIV and concluded that part of what made those places special was seeing how they all fit together, and if you break them up you lose that ingredient. Coils doesn't have that issue because each instance on its own has a :aaaaa: factor to it. Alexander is a robot, part of why I think robots are cool (and therefore I generalize as why everyone does) is being able to see how each piece works together to create a simulacrum. When you break it up into chunks, you don't see that.

Of course I have no clue how to fix this to get the interconnectivity I describe without throwing out the benefits of the current system. Maybe give the player a Seed item (which they can have as many as they want for as long as they want) that has a checklist of what they cleared.
:goonsay:

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference
My FC (Excalibur) is looking for a tank and a DPS for casual raiding. We're going to do Coil so you only need to be 50. We plan on starting in two weeks so even if you think you can hit 50 by then that would be cool too. We're looking at Tue/Thu starting at 9pm (or slightly later). You don't have to join our FC, maybe just our LS and mumble.

Anyone interested or if you have any questions you can pm me or hit me up in game on Prince Perm.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

e: nm

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!
Alexander would probably be memorable if normal mode wasn't baby auto attack mode.

Most of the player base is just going to do normal to get through the story then grind out esoterics gear and call it a day without setting foot into savage, because they perceive it as hard mode for exXxtreme MMO fanatics even though it really isn't. But normal mode doesn't have any gimmicks worth mentioning and you can just stand in everything and do everything wrong because you fell asleep 20 minutes ago but still come through it all just fine. It's literally easier to do any of the normal Alexander bosses than it is to do an expert dungeon. It's got some decent music if you care about that, but otherwise is completely forgettable. The issue with it being 4 bosses on four separate instances is just a weird design decision that SE decided to keep going with and there doesn't seem to be any way around that outside of 24 man raids. Yes it'd be much nicer if they were all in the same zone and you took elevators or something to get between each one, but at the end of the day you would still be going from one boss with no memorable moments to another. Savage mode even does this one further disservice by dropping you straight into the boss rooms without any scenery.

It's pretty telling that the "best" thing that most of the player base talk about in Alexander so far isn't how cool the bosses are (because they're literally scaled trash mob reskins or indecipherable blob machines), how detailed the rooms are (they are mostly nondescript squares or circles with animated walls), how the music is interesting (a lot of people play with it off, oh no blasphemy!), it's that the A3 boss has really exaggerated physics so it gives him a super jiggly butt and wiggly fingers.
:goonsay:

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009

Male of the Century posted:

It's literally easier to do any of the normal Alexander bosses than it is to do an expert dungeon.

Yeah it's easy and all, but come on now.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
All the arenas in Alexander are pretty boring. Coil had some duds, but all three tiers had some fights with spectacular looks.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

cheetah7071 posted:

All the arenas in Alexander are pretty boring. Coil had some duds, but all three tiers had some fights with spectacular looks.

The giant pistons in A4 that pound to the beat of Metal are pretty great, but otherwise this is true. There were some amazing set piece arenas in Coil even if almost all of them boiled down to "circle with pretty scenery". For Alex, there's only so much you can do to differentiate brass plating and steam pipes.

Also hoping there's something in 2nd Alex to that lives up to the 2nd Coil hype, but I honestly don't know how you can top T9's opening cutscene -> Tempest starts playing as the Final Fantasy-est moment.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
I like Cactaur and all, but my original plan of playing with a friend who was on the server fell through cause they ended up burned out on the game and there just isn't enough goon presence to get a static together (and I'm leery about playing roulette with finding some random static. I mean, not that goons are always the paragon of being good at games, but...) and I'd really like to experience Alexander Savage. Consequently, I'm strongly considering moving over to Excalibur with a server transfer.

I was hoping to get a quick rundown of if there are any statics forming or looking for a healer ( I play AST and SCH. I enjoy both but have leaned towards AST since they got buffed) on Excalibur? If that scene is pretty static at the moment, then I might as well give looking for a random static on Cactaur a shot before jumping ship.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
Casual trash reporting in; Alexander is significantly better than coil because I have seen it so it wins by default. It's also about cheese thieving goblins stealing a giant robot which is inherently a cooler plot than anything involving dragons ever.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I think that alex compares pretty well with the binding coil of bahamut.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Failboattootoot posted:

Casual trash reporting in; Alexander is significantly better than coil because I have seen it so it wins by default. It's also about cheese thieving goblins stealing a giant robot which is inherently a cooler plot than anything involving dragons ever.

I'm going to have to agree with you here. I really don't get the Alexander hate. Maybe what people miss is also the expanse? The arenas in BCoB implied that you were just in this like, gigantic thing, and while Alexander is hueg, we're twisting up ducts and corridors in the arm. From there we're probably progressing to the chest and head which should be a bit more impressive in that regard maybe.

I also think the "casual" version and the accompanying obnoxious loot system poisons people to it, too.

Mr. Leonheart
Oct 14, 2007

All I know is that to me
You look like you're havin' fun
Personally I hate the steampunk aesthetic.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I think one FF Boss staple that we've yet to see is the "Big-Clump-of-wtfamilookingat" like Neo-ExDeath, Kefka's Tower and Bizarro Sephiroth. Unless I've forgotten something.

I'm hoping Void Ark fills that niche :unsmigghh:

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

SirPhoebos posted:

I think one FF Boss staple that we've yet to see is the "Big-Clump-of-wtfamilookingat" like Neo-ExDeath, Kefka's Tower and Bizarro Sephiroth. Unless I've forgotten something.

Cloud of Darkness is almost that but they ended up making it more "giant woman attacks".

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

SirPhoebos posted:

Bonus points if the boss starts out as a bishonen prettyboy and ends up a three story tall undulating clifface of moaning faces and grasping limbs.

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

Magil Zeal posted:

Cloud of Darkness is almost that but they ended up making it more "giant woman attacks".

To be fair, the whole thing is a big FF3 reference, and that's what she's always looked like.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

So what was Cloud of Darkness going to look like instead of what we finally got?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Nah thats how she was supposed to look like from the start if they were using the original NES version, which is what they stuck with. CoD right now usually follows amanos original art, but everything in FFXIV factors in nostalgia, so they have to go with what people remember.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

kafziel posted:

To be fair, the whole thing is a big FF3 reference, and that's what she's always looked like.

I didn't mean to imply that she should've looked different, but they certainly could've gone in a different direction with the concept. They didn't, which is fair.

frosteh
Apr 30, 2009
Back when HW first came out, someone posted a leveling guide with leves to get from level 30-40. I remember Adamantoise Tears, anyone know the rest?

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

Most of the player base is just going to do normal to get through the story then grind out esoterics gear and call it a day without setting foot into savage, because they perceive it as hard mode for exXxtreme MMO fanatics even though it really isn't.

From what i've seen of the playerbase, it most likely is for them. They make the people in WOW who couldn't get through silver proving grounds to do heroics look good.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Cloud of Darkness looks a lot like the DS / iOS remake of FF3.

Then there's also her Dissidia remake, which, uh... doesn't really look anything like the original.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

seiferguy posted:

Then there's also her Dissidia remake, which, uh... doesn't really look anything like the original.

That's because the Dissidia designs are based on the Amano artwork. See also: Blond Terra.

Vendictus Prime
Feb 28, 2013

Now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.
Leveling question, I now have my first job, do I level under the job or continue to level under my normal class spec?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Most of the player base is just going to do normal to get through the story then grind out esoterics gear and call it a day without setting foot into savage, because they perceive it as hard mode for exXxtreme MMO fanatics even though it really isn't. But normal mode doesn't have any gimmicks worth mentioning and you can just stand in everything and do everything wrong because you fell asleep 20 minutes ago but still come through it all just fine. It's literally easier to do any of the normal Alexander bosses than it is to do an expert dungeon.

Come on now. A hilariously huge portion of Duty Finder can't manage A1N, nevermind A4N.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

megalodong posted:

From what i've seen of the playerbase, it most likely is for them. They make the people in WOW who couldn't get through silver proving grounds to do heroics look good.

Showing up to raid 2-4 hours a few days a week is really stupid.

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

Tenzarin posted:

Showing up to raid 2-4 hours a few days a week is really stupid.

Adventurer in Need in Roulette, do you think it needs to change up a bit?

Honestly 95% of the time I have "Tanks" for Adventurers in Need for all of my Roulettes and honestly I'm getting sick of seeing it all the time. I have Healer and DPS classes I like to use for Adventurer in Need to get those extra bonuses.

True it's not required, but it would be optimal to have to allow people to use different classes more often and get rewarded for it and make it easier to level up... especially DPS class.

I like it if the Adventurer in Need randomizes every 2 minutes or something and not ALL of the Roulette have "Adventurer in Need (Tank)" for days on end. Mix it up a bit! It's rare I get a Healer one and very rarer for DPS!

Anyway thinking they need to change up the Adventurer in Need in Roulette to allow players to get bonuses for other classes other than Tanks most of the time? I know they have it as people need that class more as more than 70% people worldwide use DPS class, but still... I like to have Healer and DPS appear more often in the Roulette.

megalodong fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Oct 6, 2015

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

If they need DPS it switches. It was almost universally DPS in need for everything through the first couple of weeks because everyone was leveling dark.

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

If they need DPS it switches. It was almost universally DPS in need for everything through the first couple of weeks because everyone was leveling dark.

I'm not looking for higher or better rewards... I want the other classes, Healers and DPS, to get the Adventurer in Need bonus as Tanks as well seeing as Tanks are almost always that for me nearly 100% of the time. I'm trying to leveling my Healer class as I got my DPS and Tank class to 60 right now (NIN and PLD) and having Tank as Adventurer in Need prevents my Healer reaping some extra bonus reward to level up faster like with Tank when you do the Roulettes.

I was asking if they could change it a bit to allow Healers and DPS to appear more often in the Adventurer in Need for Roulette. Balance it out more.

And like I said, I know why there's Tank for Adventurer in Need, but at least have DPS and Healer appear more often in Frontlines, Guildhest, and Trials more often. I have Tank on ALL of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Vendictus Prime posted:

Leveling question, I now have my first job, do I level under the job or continue to level under my normal class spec?

Your job and class always level stay the same, so you don't have to choose. The question is moot anyway because you should never take your job stone off for any reason.

• Locked thread